Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Don't You Look At Other Factions?

So I was looking through the faction directory, and I see a lot of duplicate factions, and factions with one or two members. And a lot of new factions don't even seem to bother with putting up a faction discussion thread, which I think is in the rules. In general, it just seems like the faction directory doesn't get used, and I was curious as to why.

Aarrki

A
Maybe if we had that featured faction rotator on the main website might be neat for more exposure.

I've used the faction directory multiple times. It's very useful, and has helped me decide more than once where to put a character. More emphasis on it, as far as the concern of duplicate factions is concerned, would be a good idea.

Also, is there a time frame for how long factions have to put up a discussion thread before there's a consequence - i.e. archival, removal? If there isn't, that might help.

To be fair, unless you know what you’re doing, the faction directory is a bit difficult to use. Unless you’re looking for the biggest or the newest factions it’s not easy to sift through them.

There is a rule that factions need threads etc, but it’s not enforced right away, but later on in one go.

Edison Bulkhead

E
I browse the Factions just for fun from time to time, but created this character specifically because I wanted a Dathomir Witch who could develop the Spiderclan and ride monsters. :)

Plus there is always that bandwagon effect, people are drawn to the factions of their friends or those that are most populace. If i asked you if you wanted to join a brand new faction and gamble on getting Roleplays, or to join an established, canon, faction like the Republic. Which do you think is going to be chosen? There is also the fact that it doesnt matter how much thought you put into some factions, you can spend dozens of hours creating an idea, crafting a massive amount of information, but it is always the factions with friends in them that will succeed or those with the most people.

For example, do you ever see someone make a character whose starting place is with the Levantine's? Does anyone even know about the Levantine's? No as is it is a faction with an amazing amount of thought and effort, but the sad fact is that you will see the Republic get 15 characters for every new one of theres. And that is a -MAJOR- faction, the Minor factions all die out before they have a chance and those that do survide do so because of the OOC partnership of its members or the fact that is a small dedicated group that never gets to expand itself and dies out, Just like the Corsair Brotherhood did.

This fact is true nine times out of ten and i can attest to that, only one person in my own faction came here on his own, the others were recruited through skype or after asking them because of their storylines that mingled with my own. Further there is also the fact that it doesnt matter how much thought you put into something, people will always jump into the bandwagon or otherwise join their friends.

Those are my full thoughts on the point and things that could help is a more frequent change in the featured faction, as ive noticed the bounty hunter guild and Horde up on it for nearly two or three months now, and the fact that the existing factions (ESPECIALLY THE RACIAL ONES, COUGH COUGH ECHANI) can provide a bigger selection of Roleplays for their members, this second thing though is more geared to the minors. I mean, how cool would it be to see a skirmish because of unrest between the witches of Dathomir and the Mandalorians, or a group of slavers attacking Kashyyk. The reason you dont is Major Factions are too powerful to let Minors do anything of fun much of the time and that is why they die out, HELL even my raid on Bonadan has halted because appearently the Mandalorians are "Looking" at the planet... the point is, Minors need to have fun to and a great way of doing that is expanding their playerbases, and thus creating a more... chaotic universe than what it is already.

Arthur David Hardrada said:
For example, do you ever see someone make a character whose starting place is with the Levantine's? Does anyone even know about the Levantine's? No as is it is a faction with an amazing amount of thought and effort, but the sad fact is that you will see the Republic get 15 characters for every new one of theres. And that is a -MAJOR- faction, the Minor factions all die out before they have a chance and those that do survide do so because of the OOC partnership of its members or the fact that is a small dedicated group that never gets to expand itself and dies out, Just like the Corsair Brotherhood did.
I have an alt in the Sanctum. An NFU alt. I'd love to see more folks join in that little section of the galaxy. However, its real specialized. Think the Vagrant Fleet on land or the like. Kind of a hard sell at times when a number of people are looking to get into strictly battle orientated RP.

As for minor, I ran the Rebel Alliance for a little while. We were doing fairly great but disbanded when there wasn't much left to "rebel" about. Its hard drumming up people for a faction with an intention of staying strictly minor. Folks want land. They want to see their spot on the map for whatever reason. However, I do agree with you that there needs to be more efforts on fostering the Minor faction environment. Minor factions are nearly always overlooked when it comes to events. Its a pretty big blow to a group when they are told to "align with a Major" to be honest during these things.

Canon factions like the Republic and the Sith obviously have a great advantage. After all, when all is said and done Star Wars is about Jedi vs. Sith (hence why the Republic tends to look like the Jedi Order plus a couple senators and NFU soldiers in actual member base since everyone likes to be a mage...saying this as someone whose main is one, not being hypocritical at all!).

However, with a sufficiently dedicated member base that's willing to try out new things noncanon factions can be successful. The best cases are the Omega Protectorate, which back in the day went a long way from its humble beginnings as the paramilitary mercenary organisation Omega Pyre to a full-blown merchant republic that in its heyday was one of the three big powers, and presently the Fringe Confederation, which went from being a band of people who did not fit into other groups and were gathered by the ex-Empress to battle monsters in the unknown regions to one of the most powerful empires on the map that can take credit for halting Freedom Train.

@[member="Delila Castillon"]

You know I'm always down for doing Rebellion stuff when the opportunity arises!

On a more serious note it's true that minors have difficulty drumming up sufficient support, especially over a longer term, though that also depends on the group. For instance, the Army of Light had a great premise and good ideas, but it lost its main reason to exist as an independent group when the Jedi went on their own anti-Sith Crusade.

People do want their conquests, saying this as someone who likes claiming planets, causing mayhem on the map and whose presently only faction identity for Siobhan is a minor one, namely the Kaeshana Confederation, because while there are some majors she might like (she would...make a good Mando) to an extent Kaeshana is where she belongs IC wise. Admittedly the space elves one day rising up and going on a conquest spree to subjugate the humans would be fun...but, yeah, not feasible! Like while Moira is affiliated with Fringe the only cause she espouses is the Age of Steel Archangel (presently a corporation, not a minor faction, but then she secretly works with one of the Sith minor factions, a nonstate actor, who could potentially cause a great deal of chaos) pursues, with the aim of becoming an NGO Superpower, and it's been plenty of fun, not to mention led to some rather original plots, what with two assassin droids plotting to usher in a mechanical dystopia by climbing the corporate ladder and all that.

After all, one does not have to possess a big space empire to influence things. A confrontation between the Republic and one of the minor Sith factions, a nonstate actor that operates without regard for borders, commands considerable resources but does present a visible target in form of planets that can be conquered, would be fun ('super-empowered darkside extremists strike at the fortress of freedom'!).

I've looked at most of them.

I'm not sure if there's an issue here, if a minor faction wants to be successful they have to advertise, RP as often as possible, and even then sometimes it doesn't work out.

And by discussion thread what do you mean? You mean in the faction or outside the faction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom