Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What inspired your character’s name?

Kaine Zambrano (Darth Carnifex)

Kaine is a boy's name of Hebrew derivation, meaning 'spear or battle'. It is also an alternative spelling of Cain, a biblical figure in the Old Testament who was infamous for murdering his brother and being cursed by YHWH to wander the Earth.

Zambrano is a surname of Spanish and Basque origin and was supposedly derived from the Spanish word Soberano which meant sovereign.

Carnifex is the Latin word for an executioner, specifically the public executioner in ancient Rome.

I wanted a lot of symbolism to be inherent in my character's name, especially when he eventually became a Sith.

Alera Vangelis

A
I used to be really big on making sure all of my characters names had some special meaning, or were 'unique' in some way, but now I just name them based on whatever sounds interesting... sometimes I'll still try to be intentional with it, but definitely not as much as I used to.

Zak Dymo

Z
This character is based in part on Zatt from Clone Wars and I was trying to come up with a name that respected Nautolan lore.

Kitt Fisto is a classic, so I knew I wanted something with an "o" ending, and had in mind he'd have a dynamic personality. That became the Dymo. And then once I had the last name, I tried different sounds in front of it and found that I liked Zak the best.

Merrick Sato

M
Most of my character names are just ones I thought up, but in the odd case, they've been taken from one country or another.

Except for my character Selinica Miriya Cailis - originally just Miriya Cailis when 15 year old me created her. The name "Miriya" came from Miriya Parina Sterling, of Robotech. My dad had most of the Robotech novelisations and I had read them all. <3

Sanya Val Lerium

Neutral, Queen of Her people, Neko
Sanya Val Lerium - Sanya is my irl first name now, always liked the name and honestly got the name from an anime character that is like me a lot so. Val Lerium was well Lyrium (that evil crystal from dragon age) Val was a random

Cynthia Solus - I liked the name Cynthia and it is not common, Solus is the clan name that she leads. The word Solus has many meanings in Mando'a but i chose it based on this meaning (solus [SOH-loos] united, as one)

Teresa Pelles (aka Darth Pellax) - I got Teresa from the anime Claymore Pelles was a random gen. Pellax is latin for the deceitful other words that fall under it is Seductive

Celty Ree - Promise this was before the ree meme, once more Anime for the first name Durarara, Ree was just a random

Zuri Ano - I think I randomly came up with the name and though that could pass as a feminine name

Alt account of Okkeus here, I wanted to create this character to be based off of Murdock from the A-Team.

I have German ancestry from WAY long ago, so I did the German translation of “Howling Mad” which is heulend verrückt. Then I just took parts of that phrase to make the name

Taozi's name is just "Peach Healing Blood"

Azure Djitred is a character I've transplanted into many different universes, and the only name change here was her last name to fit her background as an Echani/Dathomiri witch

Auburn is the same boat as Azure, in that I transplant her places.

Niamh was an extension of a nickname my fiance gave me for his character's mother

Tabitha = Stabitha

Lace is hard reboot of an old character, and her last name "Donnadieu" is a French surname that was given to orphans in the care of the church meaning "Given by God"

Gatlin

G
Well, it was Gatlinburg in mid-July
And I just hit town and my throat was dry
I thought I'd stop and have myself a brew
At an old saloon on a street of mud
There at a table, dealing stud
Sat the dirty, mangy dog that named me "Sue"

- Boy Named Sue, Johnny Cash

THE ERINYES (Furies) were three goddesses of vengeance and retribution who punished men for crimes against the natural order. They were particularly concerned with homicide, unfilial conduct, offenses against the gods, and perjury. A victim seeking justice could call down the curse of the Erinys upon the criminal. The most powerful of these was the curse of the parent upon the child--for the Erinyes were born of just such a crime, being sprung from the blood of Ouranos (Uranus), when he was castrated by his son Kronos (Cronus).

The wrath of the Erinyes manifested itself in a number of ways. The most severe of these was the tormenting madness inflicted upon a patricide or matricide. Murderers might suffer illness or disease; and a nation harbouring such a criminal, could suffer dearth, and with it hunger and disease. The wrath of the Erinyes could only be placated with the rite ritual purification and the completion of some task assigned for atonement.

-theoi.com

Alekto is named for one of the Erinyes of greek mythology, the goddess responsible for castigating moral crimes of humans/mortals with madness.

// Aight', I originally settled for using '' Jalat '' since it literally means '' Feet '' in finnish (That being because, you know, the base idea I always had for her was all the freerunning stuff and all.). I felt like cutting the letter t from the end made the word sound a bit more like a name though, so that's what I went with in the end.

Last edited:
/me pulls out his old man hat, cane, and mIRC references

Jorj Kell was the first handle I created for myself way back in 2003 and it stuck. I never thought I'd use it for another character (the last iteration was back in 2008). At the time, I was reading a lot of EU. Jorj is from Jorj Car'das and Kell is from Kell Tainer. I was a lot less original back then. The character is not based off of them in any way. Below is his original artwork created by a friend I was writing with at the time. (Much thanks to my wife for digging that up from some ridiculously old archive somewhere.)

jorj.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom