Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion What do you want to see on the board?

Smeagol is free
They haven’t. This is just tunnel vision. Staff has been tracking the concessions obviously, in the era of “we want more predetermined outcomes”, but there’s not one group dominating the IC W’s on the battlefield.

OOC, its obvious GA has turned a specialty in brokering a majority of the Invasion/Junction deals, so that may be where your perception stems? But can you really blame them, most people are having fun with them leading a lot of the OOC discussions these past few months. If it aint toxic and everyone’s having a good time, it would be incumbent upon even me to encourage it to continue.

Unless you mean on a character level, then I can’t really help you. People will always people. If I cant control them, no one here can.
Can't blame peeps for perceptions, especially not if it's more than one or two people that feel that way. Many people won't step forward for fear of getting shot down/trolled/embarrassed in some way or form, but I have heard that way of thinking more times than I can count and that has happened for as long as the pre-determined outcomes were thing. It even predates the current staff of GA. I have to admit that it seems like a trend and it isn't tied to only one generation of faction staff or even one faction, tbh.

People hate on GA in the backrooms, but it aint just GA. It's a board trend that stemmed from the abolishment of judged invasions initially or even the perception that the good guy always has to win. Yes people are having fun. Or sometimes it's more a thing of FOMO in a lot of cases - the perception of fun is there, but it's not really fun. Fact of the matter is, there is a trend of "secret" resentment that is, unfortunately, being directed at the most prominent faction atm, but the underlying issue is most probably the pre-determined outcomes - be it invasions or junctions or skirmishes.

People kind of want to see a change in that, as can be seen in Romi Jade Romi Jade 's response and there are many more where she came from. People want to feel that the stories that they write has some kind of reward, instead of writing their hearts out but faction staff already decided way beforehand that nah, this one is gonna lose/win. There is a certain thrill in the unknown and that makes it more fun. Keep the collab, but step away from pre-determination. Decide after finishing the junction/skirmish who really deserves the W IC. More work for the faction staff, but that's why they are faction staff. Not just to be a different colour and lord over folks in some shape or form.

People want to see more natural progressive stories. Many folks just don't have the kind of confidence to step forward and say "I'll lead this" or "I'll voice my gripes". Not everyone are leaders, so they look to the ones that are to be that change that they want to see. They talk to the people they do have confidence in to bring about that change or to say something.

That's why I made this thread in the first place - to give folks the chance to say what they want. To speak up and be heard for a change. They are looking at the stronger leaders to do something about it. Some things can't be done logistically or won't be as successful logistically but at least people felt and were heard.

Friday Night Speed RPS!
99% of people who want them will show up to the first one then never show up again.

Yall made me an FNRP hater very early on in Chaos history lol
We may have made you a hater of it, but I actually very much enjoyed it. Where at the end people got prizes or just cool lore things. And honestly, most of this thread is just people complaining about things they want, but won't be that change. If people want something, then they should do an LFG for that style of something.

Faction talk, is more complicated than just a series of threads. So it's a bit different as you need more people to be actively wanting to continue those story lines.

To piggback off the guys who’re too cool to write more than one sentence that added nothing to the conversation, I’d personally want more Public Forum RPs that GET FINISHED.

I roleplayed for like 2 months this year and every day it felt like everyone abandoned a thread I was still interested in.

Put down the tiktoks guys its giving your ADH too much D.
Honestly, that's just open roleplay in general for a while. Sure when the site only had 15 people total, it was easier to finish threads. Now, when there have been counts of 40-60 active writers all at one moment in time, who all want to do different things because main character syndrome takes over all of the board, threads go unfinished.

Can't blame peeps for perceptions, especially not if it's more than one or two people that feel that way. Many people won't step forward for fear of getting shot down/trolled/embarrassed in some way or form, but I have heard that way of thinking more times than I can count and that has happened for as long as the pre-determined outcomes were thing. It even predates the current staff of GA. I have to admit that it seems like a trend and it isn't tied to only one generation of faction staff or even one faction, tbh.

People hate on GA in the backrooms, but it aint just GA. It's a board trend that stemmed from the abolishment of judged invasions initially or even the perception that the good guy always has to win. Yes people are having fun. Or sometimes it's more a thing of FOMO in a lot of cases - the perception of fun is there, but it's not really fun. Fact of the matter is, there is a trend of "secret" resentment that is, unfortunately, being directed at the most prominent faction atm, but the underlying issue is most probably the pre-determined outcomes - be it invasions or junctions or skirmishes.

People kind of want to see a change in that, as can be seen in Romi Jade Romi Jade 's response and there are many more where she came from. People want to feel that the stories that they write has some kind of reward, instead of writing their hearts out but faction staff already decided way beforehand that nah, this one is gonna lose/win. There is a certain thrill in the unknown and that makes it more fun. Keep the collab, but step away from pre-determination. Decide after finishing the junction/skirmish who really deserves the W IC. More work for the faction staff, but that's why they are faction staff. Not just to be a different colour and lord over folks in some shape or form.

People want to see more natural progressive stories. Many folks just don't have the kind of confidence to step forward and say "I'll lead this" or "I'll voice my gripes". Not everyone are leaders, so they look to the ones that are to be that change that they want to see. They talk to the people they do have confidence in to bring about that change or to say something.

That's why I made this thread in the first place - to give folks the chance to say what they want. To speak up and be heard for a change. They are looking at the stronger leaders to do something about it. Some things can't be done logistically or won't be as successful logistically but at least people felt and were heard.
Not being a downer, but making a previous Admin job, now be put on the faction staff, is just going to burn them out even more, and faster. Yes, this site is a hobby, but forcing faction staff to be the determining factors of which faction wins or loses, means it will make it even more daunting for newer players from wanting to lead, or take over a faction staff position.

Being an RPJ is part of that job to do. It's in the name.

A better alternative is for the faction staff be overseen by one or two RPJ/Admin. So if neither faction can choose who did the best, the RPJ will be a "unbiased" third party vote.

Smeagol is free
Not being a downer, but making a previous Admin job, now be put on the faction staff, is just going to burn them out even more, and faster. Yes, this site is a hobby, but forcing faction staff to be the determining factors of which faction wins or loses, means it will make it even more daunting for newer players from wanting to lead, or take over a faction staff position.

Being an RPJ is part of that job to do. It's in the name.

A better alternative is for the faction staff be overseen by one or two RPJ/Admin. So if neither faction can choose who did the best, the RPJ will be a "unbiased" third party vote.
That aint what I meant and that is not what's happening. Invasions are supposed to be judged so let them be judged is what I was saying.

As for PVE threads like Junctions, if you have 2 factions fighting one another, members just wanna know who was more successful - as faction staff took part in the writing, it can be decided afterward if A got the win or if B did - just for IC purposes, notjing official, seeing as both factions get their hexes that they wanted anyway. It has been done when, originally, judged invasions were abolished - faction staff - as they have taken part in the invasion themselves - decide between themselves afterward if this faction or that faction deserves the W more, using old invasion judgement criteria. It worked. It just changed to pre-determined since then and it hasn't stopped, even with judged invasions returned. The whole point I made was to stop pre-determining stuff. Not giving faction staff Admin work.

And RPJs don't exist anymore. Moderators have different duties now.
And honestly, most of this thread is just people complaining about things they want, but won't be that change. If people want something, then they should do an LFG for that style of something
As for this, reread my response to Tef and the whole reason for this thread. It's not complaining - it's people sharing what they want. Not everyone has the time/resilience to do it. Why don't you follow your own advice then and do that Great Houses thing? Be the change.

This was an opportunity for folks to say what they really want to write or see. Calling it complaining aint really being the positive change you refer to so harshly.

As for this, reread my response to Tef and the whole reason for this thread. It's not complaining - it's people sharing what they want. Not everyone has the time/resilience to do it. Why don't you follow your own advice then and do that Great Houses thing? Be the change.

This was an opportunity for folks to say what they really want to write or see. Calling it complaining aint really being the positive change you refer to so harshly.
I called it complaining for a reason. There are people who responded to this thread who all clearly have the ability to do the things they wanted, but wont. Words being harsh? Sure. But I'm not here to hold the hand of people who want to write. Go write what you want. I won't stop them. Even if I could, I wouldn't because the site is built to be open to do nearly anything you want. Of all the sites I have been to, and written on, Chaos is the LEAST restrictive site I have ever been apart of. People have all the opportunity to say what they do, and don't want to write. However, some of the suggestions are also things that would require a massive time sink, and dedication in which they can't follow through with. As you said, this thread is where people come say what they want. I want to see them actually do it. Not just post in a discussion thread about what they want to see, and just follow along with whatever is happening.

Hence my saying "Most of this thread is complaining."

Yes, I am actually attempting to write Familial wars with this current character, Its why I made him. I am currently talking to individuals who I also know would be interested in doing the same as myself. Attempting to call me out and "be the change" was what I was precisely doing in my own post. This thread is supposed to be a discussion of what people would like to see, and a quasi-"Hey, I have this planned up, come join me."

I came back after a LOA to write something other than Jedi v Sith.

A Dune story would be neat, although hear me out, Star Wars is a simplified Dune story, both Anakin and Paul are dark messiahs, sand planets, emperors, worms/sarlaacs, and heck Spice is in both now thanks to Book of Boba.

What I’d love to see is an Republic or Empire that seeks to eradicate all Force religions, that Jedi and Sith have to join forces with other sects to survive, like SW Fate of the Jedi -Allies when Luke’s Jedi and The Lost Sith worked together to face Abeloth.

IMG_9679.jpg

It would be fun to have relationships between Jedi and Sith develop that erodes the enmity, and maybe the aim is to reforge them into The Je’daii, but of course there are dissenters on both sides who see no way for light and darkness to be One.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Major Faction

Joy

OOC Writer Account
More character deaths.

I get it. You're attached to your character, and a lot of you have spent the time writing them for ages, so I understand the attachment. But stories need endings and most of them end with deaths. Such an important part of storytelling that is difficult to pull off in roleplay because you need the permission of the other write to kill off their character to conclude stories.

My only character is Alicia Drey Alicia Drey and I will end her story one day with a death. It won't be planned and it will done when a story requires her to die to give it meaning, or tension, or whatever else we can come up with.

I hope other writers will do the same thing when their time comes.

TheReal_McChicken

Occasional Roleplayer
More character deaths.

I get it. You're attached to your character, and a lot of you have spent the time writing them for ages, so I understand the attachment. But stories need endings and most of them end with deaths. Such an important part of storytelling that is difficult to pull off in roleplay because you need the permission of the other write to kill off their character to conclude stories.

My only character is Alicia Drey Alicia Drey and I will end her story one day with a death. It won't be planned and it will done when a story requires her to die to give it meaning, or tension, or whatever else we can come up with.

I hope other writers will do the same thing when their time comes.

As an enjoyer of character deaths, I 100% approve of this message. Some of the best threads I've ever been in where ones where I kill characters, or mortally wound them in some life-changing way (but mostly death) at the right time in their story.

I kinda just want more rebels vs imps, or clones vs droids, or just bounty hunters tracking down targets going on.

Obviously I feel like sith and jedi dont need to be strictly separated from the rebels and imperials. I think if there was an attempt to include non-force sensitive characters into regular "jedi versus sith" pvp threads, it would just make larger threads, more interesting and varied combat and add a little more story

Something I’d like to see is a slow down on faction doms, populates, and etc. You just join a new Dom or skirmish and or etc and then a ton more pop up for the same faction which puts you in a position that either a) you have to not participate or b) burn out. The problem with a) is people get excited about the new one and the new one you just joined isn’t so new and poof! There goes most of the writers save few who try against a impossible tide to finish the story of the thread (which frankly is rare from what I’ve see so far).

I really have no idea how you can change that, you don’t want to strife creativity by banning making too many new faction threads, and at same time it would be nice to see a story through. The greatest issue that stems from it all is burn out. To stay in the latest fun you got to jump into the new dom, pop, skirmish and etc, but then you suffer in words of Film Bilbo Baggins, “I feel like too little butter spread over too much bread.” (The Fellowship of The Ring)

Less of this type of thread and more of people just... Doing things? I'm guilty of flaking routinely because life is chaotic for me, but these threads? Why bother. Do the thing. If it requires a group, assemble the Avengers. If you can't get enough to accomplish whatever it is, then modify and adapt or content yourself in your own corner running your way.

TL;DR: Less OOC discussion about IC writing and more just... Actually writing.... It's my personal goal going forward as well.

Take the initiative, throw your idea out there. Not here in this thread. If it's a minor faction, go make it. Do you want it to maybe go major and play with the crayons like the other big kids on the map? Advertise, recruit, see if it garners support. If not you can stay minor, and try again later or not.

If it's a suggestion for the board, well theres an entire section for that already.

If it's a factory or codex submission, awesome! Give it hell! Don't be afraid to reach out to others if you need help with the sub, yes even the judges.

Idea for a thread? Head on over to LFG and put it up there, but maybe be willing to be flexible on some details to get more people on board depending on the type.

In short, stop these waste of time threads. Go put the ideas where they belong and most importantly have fun doing it.

Major factions have a limited avenue to take to see success with the format this board allows.

It isn't really a bad thing. The map is dope. Invasions are dope. Rewarding posts is dope. But your staying power is defined by the level(s) of stability and/or growth your faction can maintain. Faction staff positions are a job. They really are. It might be five hours a week, it might be fifteen, or it might be forty, but you are investing time for a return. The return is typically measured in growth or stability. Did we get more members? Did our content keep our members happy?

NOW, nothing is really stopping a major faction from bringing these more unique, or even smaller scale stories to the board. Bryn & Darkwire are great examples, but that burned away. This is a Star Wars Site. People want space wizards, sword fights, and gunslingers. If you're going to invest your free time into another job, you'll want to make sure you succeed. Not just for yourself, but for the community at large and the other people working beside you.

I think the only way to get around this is to get up and do it yourself.

Make a new faction. Pursue the stories. Slam your head into the wall time and time again trying to get your faction's story off the ground and respected by the long time writers here who see that as a threat, not a blessing.

What would I like to see more in this board?

Accountability. Communication. Collaboration.

That's really my two cents on why the same stories are written on repeat every couple years. I am already writing the content I want to READ more. Dark Jedi, Rogue Jedi, and the Outer Rim. So are my friends! And we're having a great time.

Smeagol is free
Interesting that there are still inputs given to this.

For the record Ijaat Mereel Ijaat Mereel Kurayami Bloodborn Kurayami Bloodborn no one put guns to your heads to look at/post to this thread that was made quite a while back to just allow peeps to voice what they want to see. Most are already writing those stories anyway. But this thread did motivate some people to get out there and do something. So saying it's a waste of time to post to stuff like this and discounting what people said they want/are writing isn't exactly giving positive vibes in the community. For example, Kyric Kyric actually said what you two said, he just voiced it better and actually contributed to the community instead of discounting people. So thank you for your inputs, lads, but they didn't exactly contribute anything positive.

I was blunt in my wording yes, but did not dissuade anyone from anything. In fact, I pointed out where to post those ideas, and encouraged people to do so instead of somwhere like here where it can easily be missed nor did I discount anything said by another. So take your knee-jerk reaction and relax. These threads add nothing to the board that is not easily accessible elsewhere. Thus my comment at the end. I have added all I need to by now and my feelings are clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom