Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Actually Constitutes a Superweapon?

Hi.

Over the past couple of months or so, I've been going over the superweapon list frenetically in order to try and find things for my SMD project. Reading over the capabilities of the various different superweapons as listed on the Wookieepedia page the site links "Superweapons" to on the banned items list, I came to the conclusion that the word "superweapon" is honestly something extremely vague.

Superweapons range from star system-destroying(the Sun Crusher and Cosmic Turbine), to planet-destroying(the Death Star I and II), to moon-destroying(the sky cannon and Death Star prototype), to fleet-destroying(Centerpoint Station), to city-destroying(the Baradium Bomb) to ship-destroying(the Silencer), to person-killing(the Death Mark laser), to incapable of actually directly killing someone(the Ion Ring and radar-cloaking superweapon). There seems to be no specific destructive level that classifies a weapon as a superweapon or not. Some of the superweapons in question aren't even comparable to Chaos tech(the Ascendant Spear is below the maximum hyperdrive limit allowed by the rules and the Metal-Crystal Phase Shifter is capable of piercing shields like the Solar Ionization Cannon, which is allowed).

Thus, I'd like to open the floor to the members of the community here, and perhaps to the staff as well, and ask a serious question - what actually constitutes a superweapon? Is there a destructive limit that defines what is a superweapon? Is there a metagame aspect relating to the definition?

Please, discuss.

To me ( I do not speak for staff with my personal opinion)

A superweapon in the case of the board, is something that allows a player unstoppable force/power that could in turn break any and all of the rules in place that we have. Also said weapon/item belonging to any of the banned races - which that sort of tech is a bit cray cray.

[member="Allyson Locke"] So would something like the Metal-Crystal Phase Shifter, given it's merely a shield-penetrating weapon like the already legal Solar Ionization Cannon, be classified as a superweapon in your eyes?

I'm asking because the definition of 'superweapon' as is defined by the Wookieepedia page varies to an extreme degree. Eg. The ​Ascendant Spear​ was considered a superweapon because it had a Class 0.5 hyperdrive, and would be functionally inferior to any other Class 0.5 Star Destroyer any faction would have nowadays.

[member="Vanessa Vantai"]

That's cool, but you also write on a forum that has its own set of rules. I'm sure there have been several times that the Factory and Codex has explained these things before when people have submitted things that are deemed "superweapons"

The forum's set of rules states that 'superweapons' are banned, then links straight to the Wookieepedia page with regards to what a superweapon is. And per the above, Wookieepedia's definition of what a superweapon is varies quite drastically. I'm just trying to sort of gauge what a superweapon actually is, if that makes sense.

This has been moved to the Factory Discussion forum, as this is a discussion and question regarding a clarification of rules listed in the factory.

Vanessa Vantai said:
I came to the conclusion that the word "superweapon" is honestly something extremely vague.
Yes, this is intentional. We are not barring a specific kind of weapon, like a superlaser or galaxy gun, but rather the concept of a weapon which is so severely overpowered that it has been labeled under the category of 'Superweapon'.

To give you perspective on why certain specific examples you've provided are, indeed, superweapons, I'll list out the specific features that are combined together in their respective articles that have earned them that categorization.

Vanessa Vantai said:
Metal-Crystal Phase Shifter, given it's merely a shield-penetrating weapon like the already legal Solar Ionization Cannon
  • This weapon bypasses shields.
  • This weapon changes the molecular composition of the section of the hull immediately around the affected/struck area into powder.
Every strike from this weapon does both of the two prior bullet points, which means that in as little as one or two strikes the entire craft, ranging from behemoth-sized dreadnoughts to minuscule corvettes, could be collapsed upon themselves simply because the structural integrity was compromised by turning the hull of the ship into powder. I needn't explain how this would translate if the weapon was made into rifle or turret, and utilized on individuals. Wookieepedia Article Here.

To describe this as a renamed or reskinned Solar Ionization Cannon is a grossly oversimplified description.

Vanessa Vantai said:
the Ascendant Spear is below the maximum hyperdrive limit allowed by the rules
From the Wookieepedia Article:
f5ac476e94262768017caa5d2ba02844.png

f71dfb132233d2989462f3ed38b151d3.png

This ship was not classified as a superweapon solely for having a 0.5 class hyperdrive, it was equipped with a "megalaser", which is, based on the description of this weapon, a superlaser. A single shot from this weapon destroyed entire capital ships, and it, alone, could destroy entire star fleets.

Vanessa Vantai said:
what actually constitutes a superweapon? Is there a destructive limit that defines what is a superweapon? Is there a metagame aspect relating to the definition?
  1. Is the weapon vastly overpowered?
  2. Does this weapon's use cause other writers to be unable to reasonably react to the weapon's use and potentially force damage upon their character, or otherwise pressure them into forcing damage upon their character?
  3. Does this weapon destroy any celestial objects? (See: Stars, Planets, Moons)
  4. Does this weapon force damage onto another writer, despite there being clearly stated rules on our site which prohibit such?
  5. Does this weapon "one-shot" the targets it is intended to be used on? i.e; A turbolaser which destroys capital ships in a single hit, or an ion cannon which disables an entire fleet in a single shot.
Questions, such as those above, are ones which you should ask yourself when determining whether something is or is not a superweapon. If you said yes to any of the questions above, and questions related to such, you are likely dealing with a superweapon. If you are still uncertain, you can pose the question in the Factory Discussion, or in the Factory Q&A thread, or simply PM either myself, [member="Zef Halo"], or [member="Jamie Pyne"], or ask any of our Factory Judges via PM.

With regards to the MCPS, the solar ionization cannon also bypasses shielding. As well, the amount of damage it immediately inflicts on an enemy is not clearly iterated in canon - how long it took to destroy the corvette and whether it destroyed any ships during the Second Battle of Fondor are both unanswered questions.

That said, is the above post the official factory policy regarding what is and is not a superweapon as defined by the word 'superweapon' in the banned items list?

[member="Vanessa Vantai"]
No, we keep it vague for a reason. Stop pushing and prodding for an exact definition stating each and every condition.

Just ask as [member="Allyson Locke"] said:

Allyson Locke said:
A superweapon in the case of the board, is something that allows a player unstoppable force/power that could in turn break any and all of the rules in place that we have. Also said weapon/item belonging to any of the banned races - which that sort of tech is a bit cray cray.
The wookiee link is illustrative, not inclusive or definitive, so people can see examples of what's considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom