Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Will Rebuild - 8 NOV 2013

Jay Scott Clark said:
  • Upon reading the First Post you will be surprised to discover we lost all posts and edits all the way back to August 17th of this year.
I'd just like to point out to this, after having gone through all the WoD threads, is that there are threads that won't show posts done at the middle and end of July as well. Since that's not supposed to be the case, I recommend you put everything through cache just to be sure.

Tef first of all let me say you still did a stand up bang the door job bringing the site back up and online. Although I was starting to getting attached to the dancing yoda after my 300th refresh :) Its good to see that its not as bad as it could have been and yes, I was referring to that incident.

For the data lost, well we live and learn, as long as there is life there is hope. I do look forward to rebuilding what was lost with the wonderful writers I have been interacting with.

So chin up young friends, the adventure begins anew.

This reminds me of an instance that happened when I first began role-playing. Granted, the cause of such an event was much more malicious, but:

In 2005, I was role-playing on Ez Board, which was popular for role-playing boards at the time if I believe what people said (think Proboards with global accounts for all boards). I role-played on one particular Star Wars RP board. I think it was May when I logged on to see a mess of 404's and corrupted boards. The day after, I logged into that site again to see some messages about how Ez Board was hacked. Tons of data was removed, and this affected posts from the beginning of the board. Many threads from before 2005 were completely devastated, and many recent posts just disappeared.

A lot of what was deleted never came back, much like how we cannot expect our posts since August 17th to return. To be honest, this caused a lot of groups and storylines on the site to fold and disappear. People left, which is understandable. New members were dissuaded from joining because of the instability. The community took a big dent in activity, much like today and further days are to be like.

Yet, the community continued and eventually had periods of huge growth. A lot of the members of Star Wars Chaos were formers members of this site, and nearly all of them joined well after the hack had passed to memory. This happened even with a board owner and software that, in my opinion, was inferior to what Star Wars Chaos has.

So for those that are unsure of the future of the community, hopefully this story shows that it is likely Star Wars Chaos can recover and continue to grow even after this incident.

Qae Shena

Super Shaper Puppy!
I've been making that comparison all day, @[member="Daella Apparine"] - it's so apt. This is way less terribad, though, fortunately.

I remember the ezhack. We lost... almost everything. I do hope we can work in future to make problems like this go away, and then we can all go RP and be happy and yay. I know my muse is hurting, a lot, because of this. But I'm still gonna try.

I'm gunna have to redo my character posts, and they were sooooo funny :(

But it means I get to do redirections and like @[member="Qae Shena"] said just timeskip, or might include what did happen in here as well. Time to start afresh and be better and more badass!

Jak Sandrow

"Nobody cares for the woods anymore."
Imma timeskip with everybody.

Of course, this wipe means there's no official record of how Circe and I died, or how we got new identities. However, I'm still gonna assume it's canon.

@[member="Qae Shena"]

can you try and help me recover my company submission and send it to me i just dont know how to use the cach tool i understand if you dont it's just ... well #$@#$

Elijah might I make a suggestion. If the event is crucial to your character, why not rp it out and then 'backdate' so canon wise it still happened, plus people would get to know what happened.

Daella Apparine said:
This reminds me of an instance that happened when I first began role-playing. Granted, the cause of such an event was much more malicious, but:

In 2005, I was role-playing on Ez Board, which was popular for role-playing boards at the time if I believe what people said (think Proboards with global accounts for all boards). I role-played on one particular Star Wars RP board. I think it was May when I logged on to see a mess of 404's and corrupted boards. The day after, I logged into that site again to see some messages about how Ez Board was hacked. Tons of data was removed, and this affected posts from the beginning of the board. Many threads from before 2005 were completely devastated, and many recent posts just disappeared.

A lot of what was deleted never came back, much like how we cannot expect our posts since August 17th to return. To be honest, this caused a lot of groups and storylines on the site to fold and disappear. People left, which is understandable. New members were dissuaded from joining because of the instability. The community took a big dent in activity, much like today and further days are to be like.

Yet, the community continued and eventually had periods of huge growth. A lot of the members of Star Wars Chaos were formers members of this site, and nearly all of them joined well after the hack had passed to memory. This happened even with a board owner and software that, in my opinion, was inferior to what Star Wars Chaos has.

So for those that are unsure of the future of the community, hopefully this story shows that it is likely Star Wars Chaos can recover and continue to grow even after this incident.
Damn you and your extraordinarily inspirational/touching speech, Mason... It was too awesome...

8H2NaFg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom