Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Are All Guests Upon the Land [Coci/Théo & Kära/Mysa]

The main room of the Grand Hall is full to the rafters with goodly men and women of Midvinter all come to see the crowning of their new King, Théo looked upon their faces. Some of them curious, others held an air of uncertainty while some stood muttering behind hands to each other, what they were saying Théo did not know, but the first born son to Thrand is new to them. He could see some of the chieftains looking to his father, they had fought along side the Prince and had thought him to take the crown, Thyrian to them, is an unknown although he had performed well on the field of battle, they all had. The Heavenshield's valour had arisen like it always did, even their children had had a large part to play in the war, but what of this man that now walks toward the high seat of the land?

Another day of sorrow to face as far as Théo was concerned, he had the morning to cling to, his time spent with Nina had soothed him somewhat and gave him courage to face this day. The two of them had dressed ready for the coronation, Théo had found what clothes he had to suit, he does not have finery of royalty and little clothes that fitted him any more in his room, but he brushed up his faded black leather jerkin and jacket.

He reached out to Nina's hand as their uncle passed them. Like his mother, his gaze went to the floor, but not to show any submission but simply because he did not wish to meet the man's eye. Is was one thing to don the attire of a King, it was another thing to sit on the throne and wear a cold hard crown, but another to gain respect of the cheiftains, and yet another to rule them with humility and with a good sense of their well being. The lives of the people of this land now sat squarely on the shoulders of his uncle and Théo would reserve judgement as to if he is truly worthy of this honour. Grandfather would be proud, he would be anyway, what his uncles now needs to do is make his people proud of him .. and further more through actions not words, make the family proud as well. What have you in mind for my fair home uncle?

It was not a fait accompli, not until Théo witnessed the true virtue of the man, his uncle.
[member="Nina Heavenshield"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKagY3NNKIg​
Watching his brother stand in full regalia alongside Kära made him realise just how much alike Thyrian and father were; they shared not only the same hair colour, but they both showcased such an air of dignity and stature, in spite of their father's obviously taller and larger physique. Thurion turned to Coci as she spoke words of comfort into his mind, and all he could was smile moments before leaning forward to kiss her warm lips just as the ceremony began.

"Here stands the firstborn son of the Dawnbringer - Thyrian Hearthfire, first of his name," the elder's voice filled the great hall. "It was our lord's wish in these very walls that his son be the one to take his place upon the throne. He proved himself during yesterday's battle against the Vinterbound; I watched him take down the undead giant with my own eyes after our beloved King was mortally wounded. Victory would not have been possible without him, despite the intervention of the gods."

Some of the chieftains began talking amongst themselves while others nodded in agreement. "Aye, we all saw it," one of the less impressed chieftains spoke loudly. "But we also saw his skin catch fire through some evil sorcery! Is it really in Midvinter's best interests that we put a servant of Velkar on the throne?" A few gasps could be heard from the back of the room while murmuring erupted amongst the crowd of people, causing the Master of Ceremonies to raise a hand. "Silence, please!"

It was then that Thyrian locked gazes with the chieftain who questioned him, and he stepped towards him with eyes ablaze. "And where were you, Chief Teeth-Gnasher, when the High King fell? In a corner soiling yourself at the sight of undead?" The other chieftains chuckled at Thyrian's insult, and Chief Teeth-Gnasher looked around him in slight panic. "I would have liked to see you try and stop the tide of death and despair, but you were probably too busy hiding behind your huscarl's shield!" This caused the chieftain to stand down and hide amongst the others as Thyrian watched the lot with steely determination.

"He's got his father's wit, that is undeniable," the elder then spoke, making the room erupt in subdued laughter. "Is there anyone else who would speak against this one's claim to the throne?"

Thurion scanned the room for anyone who looked like they would oppose the decision, and was relieved to see no-one seemed interested. Last thing they needed was another civil war for the throne. "Then, in the eyes of all the gods as well as mortal men and women, it is decided." The elder then plucked the golden crown off the throne and stood behind Thyrian with it raised above his head. "Do you, Thyrian Hearthfire, first of your name, solemnly vow to uphold Valkyri tradition and rule with justice and temperance?"

Thurion met his brother's look when he turned his head slightly, and offered him a final nod of approval. "Aye... I do," came his words, and so the crown was lowered unto his head, and to his great surprise he found wearing it quite comfortable. Maybe his father's head was just one size too large for it, he thought to himself with the slightest of smirks. "Then may the strength and wisdom of the gods guide your every action, from this day until your last, as it has for all High Kings since time immemorial." Thyrian reached for Kära's hand and pulled her close as the room erupted into applause.

"Long live the King," Thurion was the first to declare.

[member="Coci Heavenshield"] | [member="Kära Vi'dreya"]

Now stood on the platform was the new King of Midvinter, the entire time Coci smiled and chuckled at the proceedings and listened to the banter between some in the room that voiced their opinions. This was natural of course, it should be understood that they have reservations with Thyrian as he does appear to their eyes as unnatural, as would she and Thurion had they had visible signs of their abilities. But this new era would be a leaning experience for the Valkyri, it might even dull some of the superstitions they hold in their hearts and be more tolerant of their own people that 'seem' to have skill beyond their comprehension. This would take time of course, a long and ancient history and it's people cannot change overnight.

"Long live the King", she echoed Thurion's words, with a smile of good humour. Her arm wrapped around Thurion's waist as she leaned into him to be close, "You are both chips of the old block.", she said gently kissing his cheek and flashing a look toward Théo. "But will you excuse me for one moment", she said letting go of her husband and proceeding through the crowd toward Thyrian. She had no doubt that Thurion would follow her soon enough to be with his brother on this day. But Coci knew that there was still some in the room that looked to the Heavenshields for their guidance and conformation of the new King, but more importantly then that, she did so for her son.

As she approached the platform, she smiled at both her bother and Kara, before she stood along side him. Coci knew also that he would not tolerate her bowing to him but instead she wrapped her arms around Thyrian and held him in embrace, "You will do fine Thyrian, and Thurion and myself will stand with you always, you just have to call us and we will come. But, now, you need to sit your .. ass .. in that chair", she said pulling back from the embrace her eyes flashing to the throne, her words only for him and would not be heard by another.

[member="Thurion Heavenshield"]

The truth of it had been spoken. His uncles had proved victorious over the giant darkness that had had control over the Vinterbound, yet Théo could not help but feel the Elder was doing a great disservice to those men and women that had lost their lives and even now the smoke from their pyre still smolders, to the men and women that fought along side their new King, to the families that had lost so much in the death of fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters. Had not them all had a hand in this victory? Mother and father fought to exhaustion on the western front, while Aunty Kara and Thyrian on the east before the giant deemed to show itself and his uncles had proven his strength and worth against such a foe. And had not the final stroke to the end had come with the arrival of the Vhaanir? Yes, they all had a hand in this, this victory was not that of the actions of one man, nor his victory alone.

When the question was asked for objections to the claim for the throne, Théo looked up to his father, into his face and found no sign of any wanting from him, nor from mother also. He knew however, that regardless of which brother had taken the Seat, they would prove good in the end. Midvinter was in safe hands and although Théo does not see eye to eye with his uncle, he is blood and that means a lot to Théo.

"Long live the King", he joined in and meant it as he will never wish ill will on those that he loves. But Théo was very interested to hear what his uncle would say to them all on his first address to his people, this would be the 'telling' factor on just how he would view his reign.

[member="Thurion Heavenshield"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF1BKd4fMU4​

The throne room erupted into cheers and applause, and yet Thyrian had never been more scared in all his life. Fortunately a kiss from his beloved Kära eased the swarm of butterflies residing inside his stomach, and he found it in himself to smile; a true grin with no reservations or hidden meanings now graced his lips, reaching from cheek to cheek. When Coci then appeared before them Thyrian bowed his head just as she threw his arms around him, and he let out a chuckle much in the way his father would. Even though they had only barely gotten to know one another, he took great comfort in her embrace and even returned the loving gesture.

Her comment then caused him to turn and face the throne, and with a reassuring squeeze of his hand from Kära did Thyrian Hearthfire ascend the few steps. The throne was made largely out of wood, with iron reinforcements in various locations to make it withstand the test of time, and upon its wooden surface did the most beautiful carvings reside. Slowly did he sit down in it, and it too felt strangely comfortable, as if it were made for him and him alone. The palms of his seasoned hands found the armrests and traced the many lines of the carvings before he raised his gaze to look out onto the cheerful crowd.

Thyrian soon found himself looking down upon his brother and his family, and suddenly he shot up from his seat, raised his hand for the room to fall silent. It promptly did just that, and so he addressed his people for the first time as High King of Midvinter. "Please, everyone," he began, his voice ringing loudly through the hall. "I alone did not save this world of ours; truly, my participation was but a fraction of what many of you have had to live through." His eyes found his brother's, and he smiled. "Such as my brother, and his family. The Heavenshields have sacrificed more for this realm than any king ever could, and it is time they are rewarded for their services."

He gestured to the entirety of the Heavenshield family, to which Thurion rose from his seat soon followed by the others. "As my first act as King, I would name them all Thanes of Midvinter, so that from this day until the end of time anyone bearing their name be treated with as if members of the royal family, for that is what they are to me: Family." Rather than have them appear before the throne, Thyrian stepped back down and walked over to them just as the master of ceremonies appeared beside his king with a small wooden box in his hands. Opening it revealed four identical brooches, all of which Thyrian had had made the night before.

"Do you accept this great honour I bestow upon you, my brother," he asked him with gentle voice. Thurion said nothing, he was so awestruck by his elder, instead simply offering him a humble nod and a smile. With great care Thyrian then pinned the brooch to his tunic, above his heart, before leaning closer to place a tender kiss upon his forehead. "I love you, little brother. Woe to anyone who would seek to tear us apart ever again." He then moved onto Coci and posed the same question before pinning the second brooch to the splendid fabrics of her dress. "Hope endures," he whispered for her ears only, and only she would know what his words meant.

Moving onto Nina, oldest child of the Heavenshield family, Thyrian repeated the question a third time, but before barely getting halfway through she nodded vigorously with the widest of grins. Thyrian chuckled before pinning the third brooch to her dress before raising a hand to softly caress her pale cheek. Last but not least was Théodred. While he knew he had yet to win him over, he hoped to at least be granted permission to honour him for his deeds. "Do you accept this great honour I bestow upon you, Théodred?" There was great care and gentleness in his voice as he spoke to the youngest Heavenshield. While waiting for an answer, Thyrian settled a hand upon the lad's shoulder. Within the open palm of his other hand rested the fourth brooch.

[member="Coci Heavenshield"] | [member="Kära Vi'dreya"]

As the room fell silent, Theo lifted his head from the floor to watch and listen to his uncles speak for the first time as king. There was no mistaking the heritage of the man, there is an element of Thrand within in settle upon his brow proud. But equal to this was the man standing next to him, his father. No less proud and steeped in the nobility that had been deemed on him all at birth. Nobility is strong in Theo, his mother also coming from a long line of royalty of Corellian written on that planet or what is left of it. Even though Corellia is destroyed, this event did not remove the sense of honour with her his mother. He had to wonder if Thyrian understood this, or was it innate?

His first act as King was to honour the House of Heavenshield for deeds past as well as present. This made Theo's heart swell but also confused him somewhat, as the title of Thane was bestowed upon them. He watched his father and mother accept the title, also Nina but was it not Thyrian that had said Jedi do not seek such titles or accept them? Had his father dismissed the idea of King for himself because of it? But he understood this to be honourary and would give the Heavenshields a rightful place among their people.

As Thyrian approached him, he considered his words carefully, not wanting to disrespect his father or family in this time. "I shall accept this honour you bestow upon me, just as my family have done. However, I will not accept all that goes with such a bearing as this title gives, no lands or deeds of Midvinter will be mine to own, as we are all but guests upon the land. I was born on this fair land within these very halls, and into a family noble of heart and strength of arm that do all within their power to protect Midvinter. It is this that strengthens my arm to fight, it is this that strengthens my purpose and it is this that sets my soul to die for it if that is what is required. Above all else, above all things, this is the honour bestowed upon me: family". Theo is Jedi, but when on Midvinter, he is Valkyri, he is Heavenshield.
[member="Thyrian Hearthfire"]

Watching his brother pin the last brooch onto Théo's leather jerkin, Thurion wrapped an arm around his Coci and rested his forehead against hers. Together they watched as Thyrian stepped into the role required of him, and he couldn't help but feel the greatest of reliefs knowing Midvinter would be safe in his brother's capable hands, but even more so glad he did not have to fill his father's massive shoes. Selfish to think such thoughts, perhaps, but he meant no ill will towards his brother; they had both agreed upon it, as had their father. Thyrian was the oldest child, and so he had every right to be first in line of succession.

As the new High King returned to his throne, all of a sudden the side entrances were thrown open and servants carrying food of every kind stepped into the large room. There was enough food and drink to feed an army, which was fortunate considering the army was still encamped throughout the city. "Now we feast," the King declared, and once more the throng of people erupted into joyous shouts and cheers. Thurion turned his head and kissed his wife's soft lips, so immensely glad she was there with him. For all the heartache these last 24 hours had brought them, it could've gone way worse than it did. "I love you, now and beyond this life," he said to her with the biggest grin.

However, before he could sneak away through all the hearty feasting going on around them, Thurion stepped towards his son while clutching his side in vain attempts to alleviate the sudden spike in pain. He then placed both hands upon Théo's shoulders and studied the young man's face. So much grief was being held back in those blue eyes of his, and before long Théo would find himself in his father's embrace. He did not care for the pain it caused him - consoling his only son held far higher priority than any amount of pain, and so he placed a tender kiss upon his forehead. "Time heals all wounds, Théo. That emptiness you feel in your heart will pass, eventually. Just give it time," he told him. He knew personal loss well, and this had been Théo's first.

"Now, let's try and enjoy ourselves, shall we?" he followed it up with more joyous tone of voice before showing him to the family table where Coci and Nina were already sat. Looking over to his brother atop the throne, he was already busy accepting the many chieftains' pledges of allegiance one after the other, with Kära and Mysa both stood beside him. Looking his way, the two brothers shared a smile and a nod. "Right then, I'm having myself some of that roasted bird," he declared before grabbing the entire avian creature and putting it on his plate. He looked over to Coci with a grin. "Care for the wings, my lady?"

The remainder of the day would be spent in celebration of their victory and the many dead who now feast with the gods and legends of old. And so we take our leave of Midvinter for now, with her new High King ready to lead his people into the future, whatever it may hold...

[member="Coci Heavenshield"] | [member="Mysa Snowstrider"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qGEa-Z9T4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGM3Q1dVDP4
Öll erum við gestir hér á grund
Aldrei að gista á einum stað
Göfugt nafn gleymist aldrei
We are all guests upon the land
Never to stay in one place
A noble name shall never perish
Meanwhile, in another realm...

Long had his journey been, sailing through the mightiest of storms before finally reaching his destination. The longship carved a path through the soft sand until it would not move any further, and so the Valkyri warrior lept over the edge with sword in hand. The great blade felt somehow lighter than ever before, as if it were but a figment of his imagination. But it was there in his hand, clear as daylight. Before him stood a massive set of doors, shining with divine light and completely made of gold. The sky had turned to an otherwordly purple, and the sand beneath his feet shone the brightest white. Then suddenly, the doors opened and several figures stepped into view.

The first was a stocky, elderly man with unkempt auburn hair and a wild beard. "Teign." The second to appear was an imposing younger man wearing a helmet and clad in full armour. "Helm." The third was a young woman, her beauty and grace second only to her ferocity in battle. "Éar." Another woman followed, more aged and wise and with a golden spear in hand. "Runa." Without realising it the four had begun to circle him until they surrounded him on all sides. Only then did the fifth figure reveal itself, his face ever shrouded in shadow and mystery. "Odiir." Having named all five, the warrior was surprised when there came no bid for him to fall to his knees when in the presence of the divine.

That all changed when the last figure stepped through the doorway. He only caught a tiny glimpse of her face before immediately dropping to his knees as his one true goddess appeared. Blonde was her hair, and with eyes as green as the most lush field of grass. He dared not look upon her as he grovelled in the white sand. She said nothing - none of them did - but instead reached out to place a hand upon his slumped shoulder. Only then did the old king lift his head, eyes filled with tears. "My Serene..." It was all he could say before her lips were placed upon his.

The following embrace between the two lasted for what seemed like an eternity, until finally the fifth figure stepped forward to extend a hand. Thrand took Odiir's hand and suddenly found himself back on his feet, and already the other four were stepping back through the golden doors. The High God settled a hand upon his shoulder and ushered him inside, and so with his beloved wife at his side did all three enter the most glorious of realms - that of Beornskald, where gods and mortal men were united as one. So it was that the Dawnbringer took his place amongst the pantheon of Midvinter, that he may assume his title as Lord of Light.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The longship that had once been set ablaze would soon find itself washed up on the stony shore of an island without a name. The flames that had engulfed it had long since been extinguished, and the body once laid to rest was nowhere to be found. In its place, however, remained the mighty greatsword he once wielded, seemingly untouched by the elements. Then suddenly, a large hand covered in white fur plucked the sword from its slumber...

[member="Coci Heavenshield"] | [member="Mysa Snowstrider"]

The End
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdU1fVzARFc​

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom