Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oblivion Using the Oblivion Map

Do you want factions to interact with the Oblivion map?

• Total voters
So the Oblivion Map was originally introduced for the site-wide Oblivion Event, where an ancient Machine managed to invade the Netherworld and create its own kingdom in the afterlife. I have always thought that map was super cool and underutilized. We've got hyper gates on the map, but they don't have much substance to them because, as beautiful as the Oblivion map is, it's empty. Some time ago, I participated in a race thread where I traveled through Oblivion as a short cut and I was going to submit Codex Locations for all the hexes I visited, but the race died out. Then, like most of you, I forgot about it.

However, with the recent map clear and a new set of Mandates, I saw an interesting combo I really wish someone would end up using: Starting their faction in Oblivion and using the Vassal States Mandate to make outposts on the main Galaxy Map over all the Hypergates. Yet, I feel that by throwing that suggestion out there (as cool as that would be for me to see), I'm putting the cart before the horse. So far, there hasn't been much impetus to use this beautiful piece of art, but reading the townhall transcript, it doesn't seem like it's out of the realm of possibilities if there were enough people who wanted to use it.

Thus, I would like to poll how many writers would like to see factions make use of the Oblivion map. That could be anything from making Codex Submissions fleshing out the empty map to claiming territory there. Interpret the question as you will.

I think some more tangible locations and assets would help. Make majors who claim a hypergate get the corresponding hex.

Trouble is, the main Map is so open and full of tangible Canon things there's not nearly as much incentives for majors to interact on oblivion.

Maybe make territory gains larger in the Nether so people have incentive to claim hexes so their galactic power projection is more tangible? Maybe have it that if you then claim the Nether gate, you'll also get that hex on the main map. Make them play into eachother more

A brilliant fire
Top Poster Of Month
I'm kinda on the same page as Isla Draellix-Kobitana Isla Draellix-Kobitana regarding the netherworld, and personally don't feel much like touching it at all in RP if I can help it. But that said, I think your suggestion could also play into something else. A while ago, Tefka mentioned the possibility of satellite Galaxies — that would be a lot more interesting to me, and the whole vassal state idea you mentioned could be a thing there too.

I think some more tangible locations and assets would help. Make majors who claim a hypergate get the corresponding hex.

Trouble is, the main Map is so open and full of tangible Canon things there's not nearly as much incentives for majors to interact on oblivion.

Maybe make territory gains larger in the Nether so people have incentive to claim hexes so their galactic power projection is more tangible? Maybe have it that if you then claim the Nether gate, you'll also get that hex on the main map. Make them play into eachother more
You make an excellent point that maybe I'm a bit late on the suggestion.

I think we should kill Oblivion. Cool idea, poor execution. Similar to the Vault. It’s fine, you take some W’s, you take some L’s.

But then we should make a Holonet map and allow minor factions/individuals to interact with it.

That is an interesting thought, I wonder how that would look like.

I don't think it was resources or execution that caused the Oblivion map to stagnate, I think on a faction level the nether is a hard niche to fit in, and a good portion of us agree with Isla and Val on a personal level. The concept is star wars, but deffo leaning harder into the space wizard vibes than most content.
In my opinion, holonet and satellite galaxies both would garner more interest from the start.

So the Oblivion Map was originally introduced for the site-wide Oblivion Event, where an ancient Machine managed to invade the Netherworld and create its own kingdom in the afterlife. I have always thought that map was super cool and underutilized. We've got hyper gates on the map, but they don't have much substance to them because, as beautiful as the Oblivion map is, it's empty. Some time ago, I participated in a race thread where I traveled through Oblivion as a short cut and I was going to submit Codex Locations for all the hexes I visited, but the race died out. Then, like most of you, I forgot about it.

However, with the recent map clear and a new set of Mandates, I saw an interesting combo I really wish someone would end up using: Starting their faction in Oblivion and using the Vassal States Mandate to make outposts on the main Galaxy Map over all the Hypergates. Yet, I feel that by throwing that suggestion out there (as cool as that would be for me to see), I'm putting the cart before the horse. So far, there hasn't been much impetus to use this beautiful piece of art, but reading the townhall transcript, it doesn't seem like it's out of the realm of possibilities if there were enough people who wanted to use it.

Thus, I would like to poll how many writers would like to see factions make use of the Oblivion map. That could be anything from making Codex Submissions fleshing out the empty map to claiming territory there. Interpret the question as you will.

If people wanted to submit and have netherworld locations added to the map like general Codex Planets can be I'd be down. It would be easy enough to maintain with map updates.

As for Vassal States I actually love that idea too haha. I see no reason why not.

Everyone can like, hate, or leave it but all that would depend on if we end up keeping it. If it stays - I'm game for the option.

Aktur Seii

ᴀ sʜᴀᴅᴏᴡ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʀᴋ
I think we should kill Oblivion. Cool idea, poor execution. Similar to the Vault. It’s fine, you take some W’s, you take some L’s.

But then we should make a Holonet map and allow minor factions/individuals to interact with it.
Underworld map?

I have no opinion on the Oblivion map. I just wanted to mention the above to Tefka again.

The Oblivion map is innocent! It didn't do anything wrong :(

the-office-michael-scott.gif

I think we’ve ended up swinging too far into the Nethery/cosmic/existentialist stuff, tbh. The first time was a fun way to completely shake up the map and break the staleness that had developed. The second time was… okay? I had some fun with that storyline, but it felt like the concept was stretched a bit far, and it didn’t seem to have the same traction as the first time. So I’m all for killing the Nethermap and moving away from it.

I think we’ve ended up swinging too far into the Nethery/cosmic/existentialist stuff, tbh. The first time was a fun way to completely shake up the map and break the staleness that had developed. The second time was… okay? I had some fun with that storyline, but it felt like the concept was stretched a bit far, and it didn’t seem to have the same traction as the first time. So I’m all for killing the Nethermap and moving away from it.

The “not feeling it” angle is prolly the most valid angle and laterally supports my position of “Sometimes you take an L dawg its all good just move on to the next idea.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom