Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unpopular Star Wars Opinions

Upon reading some of these opinions, I can't help but to imagine why on Earth some of you even like Star Wars. I just see complaining. My unpopular opinion? Unlike the Internet bandwagoners, I like the prequels. I like the originals. I'm pretty sure I'll like the new movies. It's freakin' Star Wars, the best Sci-fi universe that exists. No other franchise has the quality of movies, games, books, etc that Star Wars has. Go Star Wars. Past, present, and future.

[member="Ludolf Vaas"] The CGI in the prequels was poor? Did you even watch the third episode? The space battle above Coruscant was one of the best and most exciting space fights.... well, ever.

[member="StonewallJack"]

That's a rather poor example. Literally entire movies these days are shot using CGI. How is one scene filmed with CGI anything special? It's not even good CGI, or a particularly interesting scene. The shots are cluttered with crap everywhere in the typical over-indulgent fashion of the prequels, and nothing of importance happens. It could be pared down to ten seconds and nothing would be lost; the point is Anakin and Obi-Wan get to Grievous' ship. The entire sequence resembles a video game more than a movie.

Have you seen any movies other than Star Wars?

[member="Ludolf Vaas"] No, actually, I have never seen any other movies. I only watch Star Wars. /sarcasm.

You say it could all be pared down to 10 seconds. Now what kind of storytelling reduces the concept of a movie down to a bare minumum? "Person A goes here, and does this. End of story." The best parts of stories are the details, and in this case, the space battle is quite immersive, intense, and epic, showing the audience the grand scale of warfare and escalating the gravity of the situation.

Mando'a is just a ripoff of Klingon, and not nearly as well developed.

Jar Jar is a travesty of character design, but served his purpose as Palpatine puppet. He was a necessity for getting Palpy made Chancellor.

The Ewoks were essential in RotJ. Without them the Rebels would have failed to bring down the Death Stars shield.

The Empire Strikes Back is less enjoyable than any of the prequels.

All of the Star Wars cartoons are adolescent garbage meant to sell toys to children.

Mace Windu was created purely to draw Samuel L. Jackson fans into Star Wars.

All of the prequel Jedi were idiots. Out of all of those throngs, none of them could see what Palpatine was up to, especially when he started appointing people to the council.

Dooku and Maul are the best villains of Star Wars.

Space combat was too underplayed throughout, and the very concept that a wing of starfighters could take down the Death Star is laughable. Especially since the Empire would have tons more fighters at their disposal. The Rebels should have died in Episode 4.

Padme didn't die of a broken heart, she died of stupidity. She was so stupid it killed her.

The fact a semi-organic droid that couldn't use the Force was giving Obi-wan a hard time proves that people on here godmode against NFUs. Force Users aren't gods and do have limitations.

Pod Racing is the Nascar of Star Wars.

Stormtroopers are extremely deadly. The only reason they appear not to be is because most of the time they were shown shooting at the main characters which they couldn't be allowed to kill for story reasons.

If I think of more I will post them later.

[member="StonewallJack"]

So in your opinion, it's the "best space combat scene in a movie, evar", even though:

- Entire films are shot on CGI now, making the whole "wow, look at all those CG effects!" argument illogical
- There's so much shit floating around on the screen that it's virtually impossible to tell the two sides apart
- The events that happen in the scene are of absolutely no consequence to what happens next, rendering it meaningless from a storytelling perspective
- The audience doesn't even know who "General Grievous" is at this point or why we should care about him, except that we need to catch him because reasons. In other words, there's no room for emotional investment on the audience's part yet
- Any notions of the grand scale of warfare elucidated by the scene are immediately canceled out by the scenes on Coruscant, which looks exactly as pristine and cosmopolitan as it did before the war started, making the war seem like a distant border conflict at best.

And this is what you call epic? Intense? Immersive? I think you need to watch better movies.

Valiens Nantaris said:
[member="BX-1138"]
I'd go with that argument...if the Separatists weren't led by a Sith Lord who instigated the breakaway, the war, and their defeat.

Just because the CIS were patsies in Palpatine's scheme doesn't mean they didn't have good reasons to go out. While Palpatine definitely escalated the situation, there was already some damn good reasons to leave beforehand.

Oh, and since I didn't cover this last time: The Jedi prior to the clone wars were some of the most politically and strategically incompetent people ever, considering their role as peace-keepers.

[member="Ludolf Vaas"] I actually said "one of the best", thanks for misquoting me. And considering that Revenge of the Sith was made in 2005 (I'm pretty sure), the fact that the effects are on par with any movie is quite impressive. Plus the whole " Palpatine is kidnapped by the Separatists and we have to rescue him" is a pretty big part of the plot, especially with the killing of Count Dooku.

StonewallJack said:
And considering that Revenge of the Sith was made in 2005 (I'm pretty sure), the fact that the effects are on par with any movie is quite impressive.
They aren't.

StonewallJack said:
Plus the whole " Palpatine is kidnapped by the Separatists and we have to rescue him" is a pretty big part of the plot, especially with the killing of Count Dooku.
And the entire space dogfight scenario is completely irrelevant to that.

[member="Ludolf Vaas"] "They aren't" Wow. Compelling argument.

Also, as I have stated before, movies are all about the details that accompany the big plot points, just like books. For example, your view of "The movie should only be what is critical to the plot, erase everything else", if applied to the book All Quiet On the Western Front, would have it read "The main character went to war and got really sad and then died." Yep, that has all the basic plot points. But it's missing every detail that adds to the picture and makes it a great book. Same with movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom