Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unpopular Star Wars Opinions

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
The prequels are nearly unreedemable garbage that absolutely butchered the story thus far developed and irrevocably changed the direction of the Star Wars universe in a bad way. They're also simply bad movies, with horrible writing and plotting, mediocre directing, flat, uninteresting, and often dislikeable characters, and far too much focus on CGI. Lucas should have ripped off more Kurosawa.

Also the Ewoks are an atrocity that should never have happened. One can see in RotJ in general the beginnings of the cancer that would explode into being with the prequels.

Also Star Wars isn't sci-fi at all, really. It's a cut and paste classic fantasy story IN SPACE.

The above ideas have varying levels of acceptance, I realize, and are far from being universally unpopular, but I do imagine I am something of a minority nonetheless.

Certain stories from the EU (IE: The Bane Books, The RC Books, certain arcs from TCW) far surpass all of the movies, and are a much better inspiration for writing characters in the universe than the films themselves. Just an opinion, of course.

Star wars has a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

more-cowbell-o.gif

Cyrus Tregessar said:
The prequels are nearly unreedemable garbage that absolutely butchered the story thus far developed and irrevocably changed the direction of the Star Wars universe in a bad way. They're also simply bad movies, with horrible writing and plotting, mediocre directing, flat, uninteresting, and often dislikeable characters, and far too much focus on CGI. Lucas should have ripped off more Kurosawa. Also the Ewoks are an atrocity that should never have happened. One can see in RotJ in general the beginnings of the cancer that would explode into being with the prequels. Also Star Wars isn't sci-fi at all, really. It's a cut and paste classic fantasy story IN SPACE. The above ideas have varying levels of acceptance, I realize, and are far from being universally unpopular, but I do imagine I am something of a minority nonetheless.
You quite frankly sound like you don't like star wars.

There's too much focus on Jedi doing mad flips and shit and not enough focus on the average person in the galaxy struggling to survive under the weight of the empire.

But then again I've always wanted someone to remake the entire of saving private Ryan (including the gore and visual grimness from that beach scene), but set in either the SWTOR era (specifically the part before the game when the empire rolls in to ruin everyones day), or in the part of the original trilogy where the rebels finally start to fight back properly. Maybe to keep it more star wars, one or two Jedi/Sith (could replace tom hanks' character with a Jedi helping on the frontlines? Idk) so we can have that inevitable light side dark side showdown that we've come to expect, but yeah. Defeats the purpose of star wars being nicey nicey for the younglings, but it'd make for one hell of a savage movie, and really drill home the "wars" part.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Disruptor Rifles are surprisingly humane weapons. They do not wound, traumatize, or leave lingering ailments. Only insta-death. They even save you money on burials and cremations. If you can identify the corpse, that is. :p

Hmmm. Well. I don't like the ewoks, never have. Jar Jar, wish he hadn't been there either, but he doesn't make it intolerable. While I grew up on the original trilogy, I'd have to admit that I'd probably choose episode III if a friend suggested we watch star wars. The graphics make it visually pleasing and the fight choreography is awesome. I hate princess leia with a passion. F U princess leia. No one likes u. Go away >:U

As a side note, I laugh at everyone who claims to be a star wars fan then instantly begins dumping hate on the 'prequels.' They're a part of the movies, a part of the star wars history, a different telling of an adjoined story, and good. So shhh.

screen-shot-2012-11-20-at-3-12-20-pm.png

The prequels ruined the myth of the Jedi, and turned them into inept over-talkers and thinkers who didn't live up to expectations for me. Only Obi-Wan came across as interesting and tolerable. Qui-Gon second.

Everyone else, just pointless characters used to show off CGI and impressive casting choices (SLJ).

Evasion Studios
Natalie Portman lost her ability to act after Episode 1.

Hayden never had acting ability to begin with.

Luke would have lost to basically any duelist from the prequels.

You did say unpopular, right?

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
[member="Selena Halcyon"]

Hah, rather I think I have no illusions about what it is and what it isn't. The ANH and ESB are both good movies (ESB is arguably a great one) and RotJ is alright (besides the Ewoks). I like the setting, cliche though it is, and quite a bit of the EU material that I grew up with expanded that setting and made it legitimately interesting, and then Lucas went and scrapped it all for prequels. I also really like the aesthetics, especially with regard to the ships and the like. Most importantly, perhaps, it's just cool. Same appeal in that regard as, say, Warhammer 40k.

I definitely like Star Wars and have more interest in that galaxy than, say, Star Trek, though the latter certianly has better characterization (in general). But that appeal has less to do with Lucas' movies and more to do with the galaxy as imagined by the hundreds of writers that followed.

Alternatively, maybe it was all Boba Fett and Star Destroyers.

I honestly don't think I have an unpopular opinions about star wars. I love them all. The Originals for an entertaining story, and the Prequels for mostly entertaining visuals and fight scenes.

The story of the Prequels as a whole is actually quite interesting, its execution though did not do it justice in my opinion.

I hate Jar Jar though. Not as much as some, but he really is the most useless character, and didn't need to be made "useful" in the senate to put Palps into power. That was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo unbelievably stupid... but I guess maybe he needed a stupid person to suggest it? Politics, am I right? xD

You want unpopular?

If you're paying attention, Star Wars really isn't a story about good guys versus bad guys -- at any level, except the one that's designed to sell toys to twelve-year-olds. That's true no matter how broadly or narrowly you define canon.

I liked Qui-Gon better than every character in star wars. Thus episode 1 was my favorite, and the only SW movie I absolute disliked was episode 2, which was the shortest movie I've ever seen and was downright horrible.

I also happen to like most of the EU Sith lords over Sidious and Vader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom