Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Tritones II-class Heavy Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
unys7NB.png

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: to create an updated version of the Tritones for internal Directorate use
  • Image Source: Spartan Game's Tsunami Cruiser, modified by your's truly
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Primary Source: Tritones-class Heavy Cruiser
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
STANDARD FEATURES
ADVANCED SYSTEMS
STRENGTHS
  • Intense Firepower: Tritones II carries a very high amount of diverse firepower, making them a capable threat to most other starships that they encounter.
  • Stalwart: Tritones II sports a reinforced hull covered in a thick carapace of armor plating and further protected by extensive shielding, making them fairly durable on the battlefield.
WEAKNESSES
  • Not so Nimble: Tritones II prioritizes passive defense in the form of heavy armor plating and redundant shielding over agility, making it capable of being outmaneuvered.
  • Small Hangar: While an improvement from its predecessor, the Tritones II's hangar is still fairly small, capable of only holding up two squadrons of starfighters and a single squadron of support craft.
DESCRIPTION
The Tritones II-class Heavy Cruiser is the latest in a sequential evolution of heavy cruiser designs by Lucerne Labs. Like its predecessors, the Tritones II is designed to act in a typical line position within a fleet, providing significant firepower and durable defense for heavy engagements. Based on Admiral Quee's experiences from the Tercel-class Heavy Cruiser, the Tritones uses a more mixed and modern armament to make it more adaptable not only to different combat ranges, but also different opponents through the use of variable damage types. Notable among its updates from the Tritones I is the inclusion of very heavy Tyrvald II Variable Charge Turbolasers taking the place of some of the original design's smaller turbolaser and mass driver cannon batteries. Other notable improvements include a larger hangar bay, a new life support system, and a Phalanx-class Shield System. The Tritones II excels at attacking and destroying many other cruiser-sized vessels in ship to ship engagements, and in groups, can pose a threat to star destroyers and other large vessels. This focus on space superiority means that the Tritones does not carry any support craft of its own, making it less suited as a multi-purpose warship. Unsurprisingly, Tritones rarely are deployed on independent missions and are instead mostly found in the company of other warships as part of larger fleets within the Directorate.

Technical Descriptions

Crew & Automation:
The Tritones is an evolution of Lucerne Labs long-lasting interest in automating ships that can trace its roots to the Tercel-class Heavy Cruiser. Like that ship, the Tritones makes extensive of automation via networks of Calor Series Biocomputers connected through Biolux Series Organoform Circuitry that can function under manual override mode. But whereas the Tercel made use of centralized crew compartments, the Tritones crew stations are much more local to the immediate systems that they control and operate. This allows crews to immediate begin troubleshooting with their systems at an operator level in the case of battle damage, malfunctions, or sabotage. As with most other Lucerne Labs ships, however, the Tritones has an internal CIC-style bridge located at almost the center of the hull.

Communications: The Tritones uses a single Oracle-class Communications Packages supplemented by several dozen comm lasers. This provides the ship with a fairly typical communication's suite for a ship its size.

Hull: The Tritones' lines clearly demonstrate its Mon Calamari origins, through the unusual fork-shaped front is a notable concession from aesthetics to practically improve the vessel's fire arcs. In terms of physical construction, the Tritones uses an Ossis-class Starship frame which acts not only as a skeleton for the vessel's physical frame, but also as the framework for the ship's computer network, linking clusters of BioComputers. Taking advantage of more efficient molecular furnaces now available to the company, this frame has been laminated with criss-crossed layers of Phrik, making it especially resilient to frontal attacks. This frame is then in covered in a primary belt of Argentum Matrix Armor, which is designed to better mitigate the effects of heavier weapons that can pierce through the ship's low-powered shields. Some vital sections of the ship, such the bridge and engineering sections, are shielded with Agrinicrete to provide protection against unusually strong radiation that may get past the ship's shields and hull.

Hyperdrive: The Tritones-class is equipped with a x1 hyperdrive, giving it relatively average performance for its size. With the Directorate's tendency to conduct long-range operations deep in less civilized space, its hyperdrive does have a somewhat larger fuel store than normal for a ship its size.

Security: The Tritones incorporates conventional Lucerne Labs internal security systems, making extensive use of code cylinders and droid-specific passcodes to control sensitive access to the ship and its systems. Tripping or attempting to force one's way into the system can not only trigger silent alarms that inform the ship's security complement, but also trigger any number of automated traps. Forced access to most restricted rooms triggers man traps concealed underneath the deck's plate in an attempt to immobilize the intruder. Key rooms, corridors, and junction points are further guarded by automated Stormfire Repeaters and force-field generators. In terms of electronic protection, the ship utilizes typical pyrowalls and Rapid Repetition Defense Measure programming supervised by a dedicated team of a dozen EI-9 network security droids spread throughout the ship.

Shields: The Tritones has fairly respectable shielding, sporting two identical networks of Aspis Shielding as well as a Phalanx-class Shield System. In true Mon Calamari fashion, these shields are somewhat weaker than on their own than the shield generators of many other warships of comparable size, but their redundant shields allows more flexibility in swapping out damaged shields for battlefield repairs or reconfiguring them against different threats. The Phalanx-class Shield System sometimes is swapped in to help the Aspis Shield Systems in this role, but more often is used to help preserve the Tritone's limited starfighter complement. The Tritones II continues to sport the Aegis II Anti-Concussion Field Generator, which notably now has its own dedicated power support, allowing it to be kept powered up at all times.

Sublight Drives: The Tritones II sports an identical engine configuration to the Tritones I, giving it a similar drive signature and performance to that vessels. This provides the Tritones with a relatively high speed for a ship of its size, though the flexibility granted by its drive systems provide the ship's command crew with some flexibility in reacting to changes on the battlefield and allows the Tritones II to become one of the faster vessels on the battlefield.

Armament: The Tritones carries of blend of kinetic and energy weapons primarily mounted in consolidated batteries guided by a Metis Sensor Array. The primary batteries are an octet of Tyrvald II Variable Charge Turbolasers and ian octet of Angon-class Hypervelocity Cannons that are mounted equidistantly across the ship's two forward prongs. This allows the Tritones to fully concentrate their fire in a forward arc as well as provide almost half of their firepower in the from the port, starboard, dorsal, and ventral firing arcs as needed, much like the wedge-shape design of the traditional Imperial star destroyers. The secondary batteries of Iris Turbolasers and Rhongomyniad Mass Driver Cannons are spaced out evenly across the vessel, meaning that it doesn't have any particularly vulnerable fire arcs that opponents can maneuver into, but where they can still provide benefits in certain fire arcs in certain circumstances. For typical broadside engagements, many Tritones captains will shift power from Iris turbolasers on the unengaged side and move that power to the Iris turbolasers on the side actively engaged in firing, nnotably increasing each turbolaser's power. Mass Driver Cannons are typically used to not only provide a variable stream of slugs at a different ranges, but also to deploy mission-specific ordinance, especially because the Tritones does not have traditional warhead launchers. Rather than sporting hosts of missiles magazines, the Tritones carries multiple Plasma Energy Torpedo Launchers fire-linked together in a manner similar to turbolasers. Given the nature of these plasma energy torpedoes, the Tritones is capable of hitting long range targets with a variety of damage types. The last of the Tritones' capital-grade weapons are a pair of Aura-class Tractor/Pressor Beam Projectors, mounted on either side at the end of each prong. These projectors and their position allow the Tritones to drag objects behind it, such as stricken craft or asteroids, or to maneuver enemy ships and hold them in position in front of the ship's intense forward firepower. Lastly, the Tritones has an average amount of point defenses for a ship its size in the form of autoblasters and defensive missile launchers spread out equidistantly across the ship's hull.

Carrying Capacity: Several dozen phrik blast doors spread throughout the hull's exterior conceal small microhangars that altogether allow the Tritones II to sport several several squadrons of small craft. These are often defensive craft in the form of interceptors or swarm fighters that allow the cruiser to effectively protect itself from small craft in the distance, or herd smaller prey towards its impressive weaponry. For onboard security and protection against boarders, two battalions of troops main the ship's internal fortifications and defenses. In many instances, one of these battalions is almost entirely composed of L1 Marinus Droids, allowing them to not only act as defenders, but also as reserve crewmen.

Last edited:
Gir Quee Gir Quee

Solid improvement on an old design, albeit one with some minor issues that'll need to be sorted out.
  • The links to the Angon, Rhongomyniad, and the Tercel-class are broken and/or have had several links merged by accident.
  • While I understand the logic behind wishing to sacrifice Support Craft for Starfighters, the Base Hangar Space for your length (in this case 1) currently constitutes the lowest possible number of Support Craft, as per the most recent Factory Update. Should you wish to retain a lack of Support Craft for fluff reasons, I see no reason why you can't do so, but the Base squadron unfortunately cannot be exchanged with fighters.
    • As an aside, your use of the "wing" terminology in the Strengths and the Carrying Capacity section of the description may cause some confusion, since the most commonly cited number is the Imperial 72-ship/6-squadron usage. The Hangar Space field should be able to prevent any misunderstandings, however, so you may keep the terminology if you wish.​
  • Your Image Credit is adequate, though I'd suggest linking to the game (?) it's from or failing that "Spartan Game" itself.​

• The links to the Angon, Rhongomyniad, and the Tercel-class are broken and/or have had several links merged by accident.
Thanks for the catch; you probably guessed this, but I copied much of this from the original Tritones submission and a few links sneaked past me. Links updated accordingly!

While I understand the logic behind wishing to sacrifice Support Craft for Starfighters, the Base Hangar Space for your length (​
in this case 1) currently constitutes the lowest possible number of Support Craft, as per the most recent Factory Update. Should you wish to retain a lack of Support Craft for fluff reasons, I see no reason why you can't do so, but the Base squadron unfortunately cannot be exchanged with fighters.

One of those things where I quickly just looked at the starship template for guidance. I've adjusted it to two squadrons of fighters and one squadron of support craft, and adjusted the references elsewhere in the text to mirror that template change.

I know that at one point, we basically had what was written in that update (about the base squadron being support craft) into the starship templates under the hangar field. That may be something to consider putting in there just for ease of reference, especially as I'd bet that most people aren't going to look at much beyond the actual factory rules and starship template pages.

As an aside, your use of the "wing" terminology in the Strengths and the Carrying Capacity section of the description may cause some confusion, since the most commonly cited number is the Imperial 72-ship/6-squadron usage. The Hangar Space field should be able to prevent any misunderstandings, however, so you may keep the terminology if you wish.​

I'd debate you on the commonality of that, but it'd be a mute point given how the rest of this has changed. I was referencing the New Republic / Rebel Alliance wing.
Your Image Credit is adequate, though I'd suggest linking to the game (?) it's from or failing that "Spartan Game" itself.​
The company is out of business, otherwise I would.

AMCO AMCO

Gir Quee Gir Quee

Beyond solid responses all around, so thank you for that.

From top to bottom, I did indeed guess that it was a holdover from the old one, we are actually planning to do just that (the reference to the update itself was a stopgap measure until the rules/templates can be properly amended), and a very good point in regards to the wing - I was not aware of that use, though it makes a lot of sense given the New Republic's preference for quality over quantity.

Approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom