Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private To Lend a Helping Hand (Theed Food Drive)

yY25iSp.png
Ship: The Red Night
Weapons: Blaster Pistol

Tag:

Though Gatz had grown up in Theed, he was certain that he'd never seen the palace plaza as packed as it was on this sunny day.

The plaza was always a busy place, often packed with Nubians going about their day to day business. It was, in a way, the central hub of the ancient city, and it was a great tourist destination considering that the palace itself was always in view. Nearly every celebration or major event sponsored by the government found itself being held right here, down the long and wide stone-paved road that lead right up to the Queen's palace.

Today's food drive was no different.

Arrays upon arrays of tents stretched along the Northern end of the plaza, all sheltering folding tables where volunteers accepted donations of nearly any kind. Tents in the back held pallets and crates where nonperishable food items were being stored, and more than a few of those storage tents had already been filled with as many pallets as they could handle. By the day's end Gatz wasn't sure they were going to have any more room to store food.

That was a good problem to have. The people of Theed had suffered enough in recent years. The Cataclysm a few years ago had been bad enough, but then The New Way had gone and dropped a biological weapon on their city: a virus that was deadly. A virus that had taken too many lives, left families shattered, and inspired fear in the populace.

It had also left some without the means to provide for themselves. Gatz knew that kind of suffering all too well.

He could (and would) help Briana hunt down the people responsible. In that way, they could stop something like this from ever happening again. But it did nothing to alleviate the pain of those who'd already suffered at The New Way's hands. Shooting terrorists didn't feed the hungry, medicate the sick, or erase the pain of lost loved ones. And doing those things was every bit as important as Briana's crusade.

That was why he'd organized the food drive in the first place. It was a chance to do good for his people; the chance to give aid to those who needed it most. It hadn't been an easy thing to set up, and the resources and permits needed to run a public event like this had taken time to get into place (though, someone in the palace had certainly expedited the process for him), but seeing the crowd of people who had come to help made it more than worth the effort.

Seeing the people who needed the help actually come and get it made it even more worthwhile.

That was what Gatz found himself doing in the current moment: running between every booth that needed help or direction, but still managing to find enough time to feel pride that his people could come together for each other in a time of great need.

tOlBMan.png

Equipment: Skinsuit, Jumpsuit and Robes
Accessories: Bracelet, Echo Stone
Vehicle: Speeder Bike with Repulsor-skiff attached
Tags: Gatz Derrevar Gatz Derrevar
qYVowJE.png

The Skiptown was loaded to bear with different supplies.

Medical, Food mostly. Things that had been filtered into a holomessage sent to her via the Aurues Estate about a local event someone had put together. She'd grimaced at the mention of Theed. A memory that she'd watched Briana run from, and one she'd seen others of her family quite literally dissappear from.

Brandyn's absence especially was noted given the connection he and Briana shared.

And there was little for Lossa to do in remedying that hurt besides simply be present for her cousin. But this? This was definitely something she could help with. And it didn't hurt to have her first use of her own vein of the family being present for such a thing. She didn't enjoy the idea of cashing in on the Aureus name, so much as solidly placing it behind the idea of helping people.

She wasn't here to wave it around to gain recognition. To shine like the Sal-Soren's once had. And in a way still did. If with a dark shadow cast across their name.

The Speeder Bike pulled along a repulsor-skiff towards the assembled tents. Low and slow to make sure everything she'd piled on actually made it there without having to stop to grab anything that had been tossed by a sharp turn. It had been a frustrating affair, used to zipping through the air rather than crawling along. Finally arriving and waiting patiently for the clerk to arrive. Glancing to the skiff with alarm as a box finally shook loose and threatened to fall.

Her body slid from the seat and backwards with a single push from her step. Body extended as the single foot extension gave her just enough reach to save the box with her foot. Hand gripping the rear panel of the bike to balance her before the box was gently set on the ground.

A deep sigh followed by rubbing her thigh from the slight burn it felt as she looked around.

"Now who's gonna help with this." A question meant for no one as she got closer to the stalls with a wary glance back to the speeder bike. Pausing midway before casting her eyes back and forth.

NotNybs.png

yY25iSp.png

Tag: Lossa Darcuhl Lossa Darcuhl

Gatz had just finished setting a box of canned goods down in one of the back tents, when he heard the high-pitched whine of an approaching speederbike. He thought nothing of it at first—many people had come to the event via speeder. It was far easier to deliver donations that way, than to walk all the way through the city holding a box of goods.

When he walked out of the tent, he spotted the speeder in question, towing a repulsor-skiff loaded with a ridiculous number of boxes. Certainly more than most had donated. Not that Gatz was complaining, of course, they needed all the food they could get. There were plenty of people in need of help.

But, well, the sheer amount of stuff on that repulsor-skiff screamed "rich girl." But, for once in his life, Gatz opted not to judge. If the rich were actually going to feed the poor for once, then he'd keep his trap shut. It was about damn time the aristocracy offered a helping hand to the needy.

Gatz had been about to turn back to the rest of the event, but his attention was held as he watched the woman piloting the speeder save a falling box with an awkward stretch that would have torn most of the muscles in his leg. Yet somehow she survived the balancing act without falling flat on her face, and even managed to lower the box to the ground harmlessly, all with her foot.

She must have practiced yoga. Or pilates.

"Now who's gonna help with this."

"That'd be me." His hands were free, after all. And all of his volunteers were busy manning the tables.

As Gatz drew closer to the woman, and got a better look at her face, he was hit with a sudden sense of familiarity. He... knew this woman. Knew her well, in fact. Except that he'd never met her before in his life—he'd met remarkably few Zeltron, and he would have definitely remembered someone this pretty. So how did he...

It struck him immediately: he didn't know this woman, but Briana did. Even now, without trying to reach into their bond, her knowledge was bleeding into his own mind in fragmented pieces. But he didn't have time to puzzle it all together, so he shook his head, and went to reach for the box on the ground.

"Gatz Derrevar," he introduced himself, because this woman was a stranger even if she didn't feel like one, "I'm... sort of the guy who organized this. Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for bringing so much."

tOlBMan.png

qYVowJE.png

Her face whipped around at the sound of a voice, a small wiggle of her head as she honed in the source before giving her best definitely not awkward smile to the man. His fixation on her features however made the smile dip into something that might have come off as suspicious.

This seemed like a poor time for someone to measure their prospect of hitting on someone.

Letting the frown shift back into a grin, she kept her thoughts silent as he gave his name and went for the box on the ground. Rosy eyes squinting at the name he offered. It seemed familiar, but she'd met a lot of people passing through the Outer Rim, and while there were plenty of different monikers, there were a few that seemed popular enough to have multiple owners.

But that guess didn't feel quite right as she moved to grab a set of boxes from the skiff. Two loaded with non-perishables that had her leaning back slightly against the weight. Something most would have opted to carrying one at a time as she glanced to him.

"Lossa Darcuhl." The return of her name a courtesy before she glanced at the tent ahead of them.

"Trade League sends its best wishes, and most of these supplies," She followed behind him, doing the heavy carry waddle forward while trying to not run into anyone. "And there's a little from me running around the systems but majority them. I've got ties here so they sent me to deliver all of it instead of a bunch of ships."

Setting the boxes down before looking him over. The nagging feeling of knowing his name from somewhere still prowling in the back of her mind as she threw a question his way.

"You make freight runs in the Rim?"

NotNybs.png

yY25iSp.png

Her smile was downright dazzling, and it reminded him of Briana in a way, but he didn't get to ponder that for long. Her lips turned downward, gracing him with a small frown—which was fair. He had sort of fixated on her for a moment, and she probably thought he was some kind of weirdo. He wanted to explain himself, but what was he supposed to tell her?

Hey, sorry that I took the time to memorize the contours of your face. I just thought that I knew you, because I share my mind with someone who knows you, and it turns out that I don't know you, but they do, and I just got a little confused because our brains get jumbled together sometimes.

If someone gave him that explanation, he'd call bullshit, and then sock them in the jaw for being a creep. So, maybe it was better to stay quiet, and pretend that that moment hadn't just happened. With the way the smile returned to her face, it seemed like the woman was doing the same.

Gatz led Lossa toward one of the tents they were storing things in, choosing not to comment on her taking multiple boxes at once.

"Well, send my thanks to the Trade League the next time you're in that direction. And thanks for taking the time to donate some stuff yourself. There are people here who really need it."

Lossa asked after him, then, and if he'd hauled before on the Rim. Gatz almost told her, straight up, that he used to smuggle spice for the cartels. He stopped just before he opened his mouth, realizing that his feelings of being comfortable around Lossa, and wanting to be open with her, weren't his feelings at all. They couldn't be: he'd known her for all of ten seconds.

He took a moment to separate the way Briana seemed to feel about Lossa, from the way he felt about Lossa—which was entirely neutral, because she was a total stranger to him. Only then did he respond.

"Uh, once upon a time, yeah." Gatz set his box down, and gave a vague answer, "I stopped hauling out on the Outer Rim about a year back. I try to stay between the Mid Rim and the Core Worlds these days."

tOlBMan.png

qYVowJE.png

"Will do! And definitely not a problem. Least I can do after everything that happened." A slight tilt of her head at the thanks. Had she not been watching him, she might have missed that pause that lasted for only a heartbeat.

Squinting a little as frustration of knowing but not remembering settled in. It was almost as bad as that time she'd left a crate headed for the Core on the Five Veils Hyperlane dock. Making a hectic series of jumps to get back in time before the cargo had been marked abandoned and claimed by the station.

If he sensed scrutiny, it likely wasn't for the reason he thought.

"Hm. That's not it. Gatz." Repeating his name while turning her chin sideways, eyes searching the air for the elusive connection of name and reason she vaguely knew it already.

Pulling away from the table to fetch more crates. Only pausing between the tent and her skiff long enough to glance back at him once more.

"You live here on Naboo I take it? Cause," Hefting another set of boxes and heading back. "I've got family here. Wonder if you know 'em."

NotNybs.png

yY25iSp.png

Lossa seemed to think that she knew him. Or at least knew of him. In any other situation, Gatz might have thought that was odd. In this situation, however, she was definitely the normal one. Lossa was just trying to puzzle out where she'd heard his name before. He was the one fighting impressions of feelings he shouldn't have.

Gatz kind of liked the way she said his name, though. It was a shame that she was meeting him now, and not a year ago. He might have made a pass at her then. Now though... that kind of behavior just seemed gross. Sleazy. The acts of a despicable man who viewed others as objects, and not people.

Maybe it was better he was meeting her now, actually.

"I grew up right here in Theed," Gatz confirmed, grabbing another crate, "mostly, anyways. I've been away for more than a couple years, but I still know a few people. Maybe even your family."

Gatz didn't know a family of Zeltron, period. Much less a family of Zeltron who lived on Naboo. Honestly, despite having grown up in Theed, he didn't really have any connections to the ancient city anymore. His family was dead. He'd sold his house. And any connections he might have had outside of his family or neighbors had been severed when he'd embraced a life of crime.

That was an unexpected thought that made the hollow void in his chest ache.

"This family of yours, who are they? Must have been someone I've crossed paths with at least once, if my name really sounds that familiar to you."

He hoped that her intuition was right, and that she knew him from Naboo, and not from Nar Shaddaa. Because most people who knew Gatz Derrevar, the scoundrel, wanted him dead. With good reason, for the most part. The people who knew Gatz Derrevar, failed Jedi and Nubian citizen, often frowned at him, but not much else.

And he'd take frowns over blaster fire any day.

tOlBMan.png

qYVowJE.png

"Gotcha. Definitely not from comm chatter then." Frown pushed to one side of her mouth as she knocked another potential source of knowing.

It had been a while since she'd had to do the little dance of figuring out the who was who. The web of connections she had was alarming on a normal day. A few masters across the expanse of space. Family from one side of the stars to the other. Friends who force knew where they holed up for the night.

A bland expression forming as she let herself wonder briefly about where a few people did indeed call home. One she already had a bead on for their home. Given they loved that junky starship so much. The other she guessed likely just found a decent enough place for cheap, or similarly just slept in the hold of their ship.

The thoughts pushed aside, she turned enough to make sure he heard her when he asked about her family.

"The Sal-Soren's actually-" Brain coming to an abrupt halt as Briana's face entered her mind. Whipping around to face him with the excitement of figuring out where she'd heard his name.

Momentum however carried her in something of a 180 as she dug in a heel and pushed against the crates.

"Briana! That's where I've heard-'Yer her brain buddy!" Seeming quite pleased with herself at finally remembering, turning on her heel to keep walking with a slow nod. Rather matter of factly without much thought given to the idea of her relation to Briana or the Sal-Soren's as a whole.

NotNybs.png

yY25iSp.png

Gatz heard the name 'Sal-Soren,' and the pieces Briana's mind had left him clicked into place.

Lossa Darcuhl. Cousin. Estranged, once? Aureus. Branch family. Pride. Familial love.

Gatz shook his head, freeing himself from the dizzying feeling of filtering through Briana's knowledge and emotions, just in time to watch Lossa do a dangerous spin with those crate in her hands. But much like earlier, with the stretch that would have ruined his leg, she caught herself when he would have gone toppling to the ground.

"Her 'brain buddy?' Please tell me she's not actually calling me that."

He was Gatz Derrevar, infamous smuggler, failed Jedi, ace pilot, heartbreaker, philanthropist, and disciple of the great Valery Noble herself. No way in hell were those going to be mere footnotes in the story of his life, all so that he could be remembered as Duchess Sal-Soren's 'brain buddy.' His ego refused that future, no matter how fond he was of Briana.

Gatz jogged a few steps, just to catch back up to Lossa.

"I'm a lot more than just a brain, you know. I'm a pretty face too! Sometimes I'm even an upstanding individual."

Well, he tried, at least. Some days, Gatz even believed he was doing good at that. Like today, when the result of his hard work and planning had resulted in the largest crowd of donors he'd ever seen in his life. Days like this were few and far between for him, but they allowed him a small sense of pride in himself that he usually lacked.

He'd done good today. That made him feel warm, for once.

tOlBMan.png

qYVowJE.png

She choked on the laugh that formed at his protest to the name she had given the connection he shared with Briana.

"She had a much fancier word for it. A connection... thing. Bond maybe. Through the force. But," Pausing to adjust her hands on the crates and throwing him a look. "You share info, yeah? Know what each other know?"

Casting a long stare at him as said nothing but made her point regardless with the prolonged stare.

His further additions did in fact wrench free the laugh she'd held onto. She was going to have fun dealing with him. It didn't hurt he'd already had an introduction to Valery, and being a somewhat constant in Bri's life meant she would have to deal with him anyway. Even if it was indirectly.

Her face settling into a bland look as her stare shifted to a slow up and down look over him. Finishing her appraisal with a lopsided frown. Brow arched in silent question to his ability to self-appraise.

"I'd sell the upstanding citizen bit a lot more." She cackled, picking up her pace enough to be hurried steps rather than running. Keenly aware of how much she was carrying as she let the laugh die down.

"Seriously though. It's nice to meet you." She set the crates down and let a smile loose at him.

"And good job with organizing all this. If Bri had done it. Well. I'd wager you already know how that might go. Or look." A shrug about the matter before she set off to bring more crates in. A curious glance back at him on the way there as another question was thrown his way.

"So how'd you and Bri meet anyhow?"

NotNybs.png

yY25iSp.png

Lossa's words were less precise and less technical than Briana's had been, but she got the gist of the idea.

"Something like that, yeah." Gatz set another crate down, "I won't pretend to understand the specifics—my Jedi training was limited—but it's... we're constantly touching each other's minds, even when we're not trying to. Sharing information, memories, and feelings, and not always willingly."

It wasn't exactly an ideal situation. If he had to be tied to anyone like that, Gatz was glad it was someone as good as Briana. But having someone always touching his mind... it was intimate and invasive in a way he just wasn't comfortable with. There were memories he didn't want her to see. Feelings he didn't want her to know. Secrets he'd rather keep.

It wasn't all bad, of course. Her presence in his mind was soothing, and the bond they shared made him feel like he wasn't alone in the galaxy anymore. It was just... there would be growing pains, as they both learned to navigate this new connection of theirs. He wasn't looking forward to that.

Lossa's laugh cut through his brooding. Gatz liked her laugh. Or maybe Briana did. He decided the distinction wasn't important. There was joy in the woman talking with him, and that was enough for there to be joy in him too. Moments like this were few and far between for him. So Gatz was going to cling to every happy moment that passed him by.

"I'd sell the upstanding citizen bit a lot more."

"But you admit that I'm pretty." Gatz smirked.

But all jokes aside, it made him feel warm to be acknowledged. He didn't do these things to take credit for them—doing good was its own reward. But it was nice not to feel like scum, even if only for a moment. Even better was knowing that he was helping his own people.

"It's nice to meet someone else with a sense of humor. Briana doesn't always appreciate mine." Then again, maybe he shouldn't have joked about the terrorists who'd bombed their city, when Briana's father was one of said terrorists. So maybe that was his fault, not hers.

"How we met?" Gatz retrieved another stack of crates, "she needed someone to fly her through a dense asteroid field, without The New Way catching on. Valery recommended me to her, on account of my... particular set of skills."

tOlBMan.png

qYVowJE.png

Unable to stop the grimace on her face when he revealed the nature of the connection he and Briana shared, she tried to make it as sympathetic as possible instead.

"That's rough. I can barely stand my own thoughts sometimes." Shaking her head a little at the thought of someone else being connected to her in such a way. Knowing the struggles Briana had going on, or at least the inkling of them, made it all the harder to imagine sharing a connection. The idea was almost physically revolting as she drew in air to clear the thoughts out.

The retort to her words made her grin, visibly weighing the teasing she was about to dole out using her hands as mock scales.

"I've definitely seen worse. You could give a Corellian a run for their money." She chuckled, cocking a brow at the mention of her cousins lack of appreciation for his humor. A slight toothy frown appearing.

"Briana is a great many things. But her humor lags behind in places. But. She more than makes up for it with a kind heart. Far kinder than many." Not able to speak ill of her cousin without some measure of admiration for her in some way.

It felt wrong to even mention, but there were times she had thrown a few jokes Briana's way that had either jumped to lightspeed without checking the lane, or been interpreted incorrectly. Likely due to Lossa being surrounded by merchants and freight captains rather than nose dabbing people. The Story of their meeting however drew sincere interest as she paused at grabbing another crate and grinned.

She'd had a feeling about the man, and while she'd kept quiet in public, the gleam in her eyes was bright as she leaned over to speak.

"Smuggler huh? Hmm. Maybe you give a Corellian a very sincere run for their money yeah?" She gave a hearty laugh about it. Waving a hand at the topic.

"Done some running myself. Hard not to when the credits are good and it's on the way. Nothing that'd bring violence mind. And I won't ask what you hauled if you don't ask me." A fair enough offer as she grabbed up two more crates and began to haul them over.

-At the same time-
The Skiptown was powered down, and security was present given the details of her cargo. A passing guard on duty waving to the 5 bodies still presently allowed on her vessel as part of a maintenance crew.

The technicians present giving her vessel a once over after credits had passed hands and details were given for what to check and what to replace. The radiation sinks given a thorough scrubbing, any carbon scoring cleared, and one even taking their time chasing wire gremlins through the control panels.

The engine tech had just finished a calibration to the ignition system, waving to the others as they let him know they were wrapping up through the local comm. A thumbs up from behind the thick layers of anti-radiation gear all that could be managed at the moment as he finished aligning the system.

Picking up the cover panel and slipping a Tracking device onto the backside of the panel before replacing it proper. Closing it up and meeting back up with the crew, they finished their shift before the engine technician touched based with his handlers about his success.

NotNybs.png

yY25iSp.png

'Rough' was an understatement, but Gatz didn't feel like sharing the particulars with Lossa, not just yet. Briana had refreshed his training on shielding his mind from others and their emotions, and he had continued practicing even after her lessons, but it was much more difficult to keep her out. It didn't matter how much he reinforced the walls around his psyche, it was like Briana had a key to the back gate.

He only hoped that Briana—who obviously had much more time and practice invested in shielding her mind—didn't have as much trouble keeping him out.

But Gatz had a difficult time keeping his mind focused on all that, when Lossa was smiling in his direction. Maybe it was his typically male mind at work, but why think about the difficulties he shared with Briana when her cousin was right in front of him: mirthful, playful, and at least pretending to like his jokes? Seemed kind of rude to focus on anyone but her.

So Gatz chuckled at her review of his looks. "Well, not everyone descends from supermodels like you and Briana. But some of us learn to make do."

It seemed like Lossa had only affection for Briana, which made Briana's strong familial love make sense, despite the estrangement. And while his own feelings for Briana were far from love, he shared her cousin's high opinion of her. Maybe it was because Valery spoke so highly of her, or maybe it was their bond at work, or maybe it was just because she'd been kind to him—it didn't matter. He was very fond of Briana Sal-Soren, and there were few things he wouldn't do for her.

He suspected Lossa felt exactly the same.

"She's kinder than most of us deserve, and the galaxy is far better for it." They were the most genuine words he could think to say.

Lossa correctly guessed his former trade, and Gatz almost dropped the crate he was carrying out of surprise. Not because she'd guessed correctly, but because she had to guess at all. With her knowing about his... unique situation with her cousin, Gatz had just expected that Lossa also knew what he'd been. But it seemed that Briana had been thoughtful of him, and hadn't shared the details of his shady past with her.

And it seemed Lossa was equally as thoughtful, not digging into exactly what kind of smuggler he'd been. But Gatz had never hidden what he was, and there was no point in starting now.

"I hauled spice for the Hutt cartels, mostly. But I left that life behind," Gatz clarified quickly, "but the skills I picked up during that time... well, it turns out they can be used for more than selfish gain. Who'da thunk?"

Gatz set his crate down on the table and turned to Lossa.

"What about you? I mean, I won't ask what you hauled. But are you still in the life? Or moved on to something better?"

tOlBMan.png

qYVowJE.png

"Well, not everyone descends from supermodels like you and Briana. But some of us learn to make do."

"That's fair. We have a diabolical genetic head start." Donning a frown at the mention of it. She'd always been a little confused as to how she had managed to look like Sanna more than her direct parents. Then again, it always seemed like the Sal-soren blood won out over other lines.

A similar detail given the other half of her genetic mix from her mother's side always produced girls. The thought of her parents giving her pause as the frown turned into a thin line.

"There are definitely some people who could learn from her." A dismissive use of the phrase as they moved more crates along. She listened readily to his explanation. Grin reappearing as he continued to explain himself. Giving up a life making poor choices usually led to a more fruitful life later. Especially when you knew how to avoid certain risks a bit better.

She couldn't fault him for getting into smuggling when it was stupidly lucrative. His question if she was smuggling still had her narrowing her eyes, a mischievous look about her.

"Hah. Not telling since it'll get back to Bri. But uh. Spice isn't illegal in the Trade League. Regulated, but not illegal." As much she was wanting to let slip about that given the explanation about his and Briana's connection.

NotNybs.png

yY25iSp.png

Even when Lossa frowned it was dazzling. That was stupidly unfair. And also mortifying, because he couldn't even keep that to himself anymore. Eventually, that would leak from his brain, and Briana would know he was developing a schoolboy crush on her cousin. Which would probably be more awkward for her than it would be for him, but he still wasn't looking forward to that particular conversation.

Dammit. He missed when his mind was his own. And yet, at the same time, he was glad that it wasn't. So confusing.

Lossa's refusal to properly answer his question made a lot of sense. Though, in not answering, she kind of was answering. Even so, an answer by omission was still far more vague than a direct one. Briana wouldn't be able to pin anything specific on her with what she'd told him. That being said, judging by the fondness he felt for her that wasn't entirely his own, Gatz suspected that Lossa didn't have much to fear from her cousin in the way of retribution.

"Yeah, that's fair. I never thought I'd be rat, even by accident." Gatz shook his head, "but now, a Jedi Knight has unrestricted access to my deepest secrets. So, as much as I'd love to swap stories with another scoundrel, maybe it's better for you if we don't."

A shame, really. Swapping stories with other spacers was one of the few pleasant memories Gatz had of his time in Hutt space. He'd have liked to have known what kind of trouble Lossa had gotten herself into, in the past. But, on the other hand, maybe those kinds of things were best left behind them, even if Lossa wasn't entirely out of that life yet.

"I'd offer to lend you a hand, if you ever get yourself into too much trouble but... then your cousin would know, and that'd probably be even worse. For the both of us."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom