Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things You Do To Reduce Invasion Stress?

Jsc

Disney's Princess
It's Invasion Season 2019 and some folks are feeling stressed about it. Thusly, let's help them out a bit. :D :p

Q: What are some things you do to reduce Invasion stress?

_____

I'll start with a few things I've learned in the past 10 years to do to reduce the stress and feel better about myself.

1. IC Prep

This probably the easiest thing I do. First, I review my character's bio and equipment.

I ask myself how it looks when viewed by my opponent. Is my bio easy to digest? Do my strengths and weaknesses look fun to play with? Do my Force Powers look God-mode'y or Mary Sue'ish? Is my equipment modern and fun to fight against? Is this character prepared to fight to the /death /maiming /bloodied /draw against a: Giant Gen'dai Cyborg, A colossal Force Using Dragon, a Beskar-clad Mando with a Voidstone and a Shatter Shotgun, or even a pollen-immune Vong Alchemist? Lol.

I don't ask myself if I look the best, the most meta, or like a min-max'ed Factory Guru. Nah. I ask myself: is it fun to fight against, does it have utility against a wild variety of science fiction technology, and does it seem Star Wars'y enough. And if the answer is yes, yes, and yes! Then I know I'm ready IC to kick some butt. Awesome. I'm ready.

Zero stress.

2. OOC Prep

This one takes some coordination with other people but is vastly more satisfying. First, I review the rules of how to succeed at an Invasion.

I notice that an Invasion is always announced one week in advance. I notice that the minimum for participation is 100 posts, between a 5v5, and 2 weeks worth of posting. Easy stuff. I notice that victory is determined conditionally by:

1. Participation
  2. Tension
  3. Story
  4. Drama
Once I'm set with how I'm going to approach this. Then I'll check in with my faction and see what the plan is. I'll review,

1. Participation: - How many people do we have? How many Allies do we have? How many people from the other side want to partner up? Can I find a 1v1 partner who is cool?
  2. Tension: - I'll ignore this one
  3. Story: - What is the IC reason for the Invasion? What is our setting and objective? Where does my character best fit in?
  4. Drama: - I'll ignore this one
Once I'm all set with the IC storyline and have found myself a dance partner, I'm ready to move on to actually posting. Easy, easy, easy.

Zero stress.

3. Opponent and Dance Partner

This is where the fun begins. First, I'll hit up my writing partner and we'll set some ground rules.

1. I'll ask them what they want the feel of the battle to be like. NPC ground troops, a Force duel between wizards, a Starfighter battle amidst lasers, or a /mentalism /hacker battle fought inside someone's head or Cyberspace.
  2. I'll ask them how often they want to post or schedule themselves. Once a day? Once every three days? Twelve times an hour? Etc.
  3. I'll ask them if they are okay with /maiming /death /draw or something more long term like a rivalry between Jedi and Sith.
  4. I'll ask them if they have any objections with my Factory Tech. (Mostly because some people don't know about Voidstones, Vong tech, or other technobabble I'll bring.)
Once we're all set with some ground rules and feel good about a battle? I know I'm ready for two weeks worth of non-stop fun and posting. So awesome!

And again. With my schedule ready and all my concerns resolved. I have zero stress.

_____

TLDR; What are some things you do to reduce stress during Invasion Season? Answer below! :D :p

Things I do to reduce Invasion Stress for the 2019 Invasion Season.

1. Say I am going to get involved.
  2. Look at my calendar, watch my life go to $&!t and realize, "big oof, no can do."
  3. Sell arms to both sides.
  4. Drink and drown myself in tears at the missed opportunities.
  5. Rinse and repeat next year boys!
For real now, I focus on IRL more than IC to help reduce Invasion stress, PVP stress, IC stress in general. I take steps back and remind myself what really matters to me. I used to feel the need to log on every day to be up to date, and all that. But, the truth is, I realized that I don't have to. I log on to Chaos semi-regularly now, not like I used to. It's gotten to the point where I talk to people drunk on Discord while watching Bob's Burgers than I actually Role play. But you know what's more important than post count or role playing threads?

Enjoying yourself.
Staying emotionally and mentally sane.
Having a damn good time.
Booze and bewbs.

I focus on what I want to do more than what I feel like I have to do. When we release the obligations we feel we are able to accept the happiness we need. Please don't ask me how to do that, because I am still trying to tell my damn crap brain how to do that. So if I don't feel like doing an invasion, I don't. If I feel like logging on, I do. Oh well, the world goes on if I don't. My happiness is more important than me posting. I am sure that's super selfish but.... I do this for fun so I don't give a damn. :D :p

I either listen to music for awhile and hope it gets better,

Or I deal with it till its done and then tell the faction wars to politely f**** off, and go play an independent character, roleplay in an environment that isn't all hurry up and wait, fight fight fight bish!

tldr: find yourself a cantina somewhere, have a drink, maybe fight a friend in a quick, non politically backed fisticuff session

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Amon Vizsla said:
Seriously, how the hell do you stress out over words on a screen with zero stakes?

This website has members of all ages, nationalities, levels of education, emotional maturities, and nerdy reasons for even swinging a lightsaber. So, it's a mixed bag of nuts. On the internet. Which, yeah. Should pretty much set your expectation levels right there Amon. Really, really low. :p

You'll get the hang of it. Probably.

Remember that Chaos is all make-believe. That all of these things are made up stories, and when compared to the stresses of my real life situations, Chaos is my stress relief, a source of fun and self expression through creative writing and my love of Star Wars. I choose to focus on the In-Character, what's working for my Characters and even what's not. Remember that In-Character drama is a good thing, a platform from which I can build off of and create further character development.

If I have any disagreements with writers or of any Out-Of-Character nature, I talk to them about it. There has rarely been any issue that I haven't been able to work through with others through mutual respect and civility. Faction politics aside, on an individual basis, I'm very approachable.

[member="Veiere Arenais"]

I hear you on handling disagreements. It can be awkward and difficult to broach at first, but approaching someone with an open mind to talk things out almost always has positive results. In my own experience, a lot of disputes revolve around misunderstanding. Communication has always made writing with other people, especially in an invasion setting, a lot more fun.

Sometimes it doesn't work and you get burned, but that's life for you!

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Alkor Centaris said:
Skee skee
vMYCczR.gif

Flirt with [member="Srina Talon"], get shot down.

Then,

Flirt with [member="Valencia Hadley"], get shot down.

Then,

Flirt with [member="Faye Malvern"], get shot down.

Then, play Destiny 2.

Then, repeat until Invasion Season 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom