Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kass hadn’t given the Koschei case much thought. Between her duties and the war against the Mandalorians on the horizon, the misconduct of an obscure Jedi Master didn’t really register on her radar as being all that important. The case seemed fairly cut and dry, with debate only needed to determine whether the Barash was sufficient or if some other disciplinary action was warranted against a Master who had attacked a Padawan.

She watched from her seat as Master Maxim Koschei was led into the Council Chamber by a guard. Dressed in a plain tunic, Koschei appeared to be meditating. After a few moments, he slowly lifted his gaze to face the Councilors present. The look in his eyes was intense.

Master Koschei,” Kass began. “You stand accused of assaulting Padawan Braze Braze . How do you plead?

“Guilty.”

For what reason did you attack Padawan Braze?

“He was spying on my apprentice and I while we were having a private conversation,” Koschei replied. “His master came to his rescue before I could do much more than frighten him.”

It seemed an obvious dodging of the question. But before Kass could respond, there was a muffled commotion outside the Council Chamber. The doors opened and a guard stepped through. “Padawan Thelma Goth is here,” he announced. “She says she has information vital to her master’s case. Should we let her through?”

Koschei stiffened. “I specifically requested that she be left out of this,” he said. “None of it was her fault. She should not pay the price for my actions.”

Coruscant, Jedi Temple
Tags: Kassogtha Cthylla Kassogtha Cthylla , Amani Serys Amani Serys , Valery Noble Valery Noble , Zark San Tekka Zark San Tekka , Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble

shield_core_divider.png

“He was spying on my apprentice and I while we were having a private conversation,”

"Spying is a bit of a misrepresentation," Jasper noted with a frown. "Braze had been there before you and your student arrived. From what I gathered discussing events afterwards, it had never been his intention to spy. I can assure you that any eavesdropping was not done maliciously, even if his later interaction was less than cordial. I doubt he would've engaged in conversation had he truly been spying."

The mention of Thelma arriving made him shift his gaze a little to the door. Master Koschei quickly changed his tone to defend his student, which was unnecessary. After all, she wasn't on trial.

"I have already assured you that Padawan Goth is fine," he told the master. "She would be on trial if that wasn't the case, no?"

He sighed, leaning back in his seat and crossing his arms. Jasper at the very least understood why the man was defensive of his student. The knight couldn't blame the man for wanting the best for his padawan, but any level of rational observation would quickly dissuade any illusion of danger she was in.

"I'm not opposed to Padawan Goth providing more context," Jasper shrugged.

Yoda-stands-in-an-empty-Jedi-Council-room-looking-out-the-window..jpg

Council Chambers
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link | Wedding Ring
Appearance: Link
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber
Tag: Kassogtha Cthylla Kassogtha Cthylla Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el Zark San Tekka Zark San Tekka Amani Serys Amani Serys

"Let her through."

Valery's reply came quick and simple. She wanted to have as much information about what happened as possible, and understand the context as well. Padawans were curious by nature, so the idea of them snooping around or even spying on people shouldn't be foreign to a Jedi Master, even if the behavior was wrong. But to punish a Padawan for it by assaulting them? Valery knew there had to be more to it.

Whatever the Jedi Master had been discussing with Thelma was likely sensitive information.

"If none of this is her fault, Master Koschei, then she will not be punished. If she has something to share with the Council, we will listen to her."

Amani hadn't kept up with Thelma as much as she'd have liked, since their initial meeting. The young student had aspirations in the healing arts, and volunteered in the halls for a time. But when Amani called on her for assistance with a patient, her restorative powers had some sort of adverse effect on her. It was normal for healing to sap some of the user's stamina, but not quite on that level. The padawan remained distant with whatever knowledge she held, leaving Amani no choice but to speculate, and keep the girl away from her intended path. It was an unpleasant call to make, but a necessary one. Especially given how little information she was given to go off of.

This trial may not have been for her, but it was in part about her. Thelma and her master had fallen into a bit of a standoff with another student, and it was Koschei himself who suggested this be brought to a tribunal. He even pleaded guilty to the charge from the very start. Amani remained silent for most of the introductory stage of the trial, perking up some when Goth was mentioned by the temple guard. Her master was defensive, but if the girl had something to say as part of the case, then they would grant her the opportunity. Amani silently nodded in agreement.

Wearing: xxx

The doors opened, and Thelma walked in. Her eyes were drawn toward her master first, then her gaze roamed over the Councilors. She had always hated giving presentations in class, having to get up in front of an audience of people. At least in school, she could take comfort in knowing that many of the students weren't paying attention. But here, everyone was staring at her, waiting to see what she would say. She clasped her trembling hands in front of her in an effort to keep them still.

"Master Jedi," she began.

"Speak up, please," Kass asked. "We can't hear you."

Thelma hesitated, then swallowed the lump in her throat. "You asked Master Koschei what we were talking about. He won't tell you the truth, because he wants to protect me. But I will tell you what Padawan Braze overheard.

"I am a vampire." She paused. For years she had kept that fact a secret, and now that it was out in the open, she felt both terror and relief. Her gaze flicked toward her master, expecting to see his anger as she undid everything he had worked to maintain, but instead she found only sorrow in his face. He understood now what she planned to do, and how difficult the decision must have been.

"I consume the memories of other beings for nourishment," she continued. "For obvious reasons, I've kept what I am a secret from all of you. I even tried to change my nature so that I could fit in and avoid hurting anyone. I've been eating regular food like everyone else, even though it's not enough to sustain my body. It's never been enough.

"I hid the signs of starvation, too. I wore clothes that covered up how thin I was. Malnourishment for a vampire causes signs of aging, so I dyed my hair to hide my graying roots and wore makeup. I was constantly eating tons of food, so I figured no one would ever think I was starving myself. Then I fell in love. I realized that if I continued this way, I could never have a family. My body could barely sustain itself, never mind children."

There was another pause as a tearful Thelma fought to keep her composure long enough to finish. "Master Koschei was trying to convince me to eat, to accept my nature, so that I could live," she said. "He wanted me to be happy and healthy. I didn't want to listen. Then Padawan Braze mocked us. His memory of what he had heard would have to be removed in order to keep our secret safe. Master Koschei was going to offer it to me to eat. I don't know if I would have refused him. I am so tired of trying to be something I'm not. I don't want to have to leave the Order, but I can't go on like this anymore. It's killing me."

Kahlil_Div2.png

"If you were not going to be allowed as a Jedi, I would've taken action sooner."

Kahlil spoke up from where he sat, glancing between the Padawan and her master. He kept a pretty still expression, though there was worry in his gaze as he let it linger on Thelma. She'd let herself go that far on the path to starvation?

"Your lack of trust in the Order and the opinions of your peers has isolated you. We are strongest together, and there could be solutions you haven't thought of. But," Kahlil's worried gaze hardened into contempt as he focused on Master Koschei.

"I expect that of a Padawan who is still learning. For you to encourage this secrecy, this paranoia and fear of the very people who would and will support her no matter what, is unforgivable of a Jedi Master. You isolated her. You reacted with the intent to frighten and harm a padawan of the Order you swore to protect. There is no excuse or justification for such. You are far older than many of this Council, and it is expected for you to know better."

He glanced to the council.

"This isn't a trial we should be handling. I recommend Maxim Koschei be exiled from the Order and charged in the Galactic Alliance courts for assault of a minor."

Valery Noble Valery Noble | Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el | Kassogtha Cthylla Kassogtha Cthylla | Amani Serys Amani Serys | Zark San Tekka Zark San Tekka

Kass studied Thelma with her numerous eyes. She was puzzled and saddened by this case more than anything. She agreed that Master Koschei hadn't helped matters by encouraging secrecy, but this was a situation with no easy answers.

Kass didn't know where to even begin helping Padawan Goth. The very nature of a vampiric species seemed antithetical to the Jedi philosophy. But if she admitted that out loud, well... It wouldn't sound right. She wasn't even sure if it was right.

As Kahlil condemned his actions, Master Koschei smirked grimly. "It's almost as if I knew that revealing what she was would lead to this," he said. "I will submit to exile and arrest. I ask only one thing of you. Do not send me to the secular courts until you are finished with her." He pointed to his apprentice. "I would know what you intend to do with my Padawan."

"They won't do anything with me," Thelma said, her soft-spoken voice oddly resonant in the chamber. She pursed her lips and lowered her head. "The decision will be mine. I'll go."

"But you are on the verge of knighthood, aren't you?" Kass asked in alarm. "Would you throw years of work away?"

"If there is no future for me here as I am, knighthood won't mean anything." She lifted her chin. "You said there may be solutions I haven't thought of, Master Noble, but I have spent years trying to find an answer which would make everything all right. There is no such solution."

Reaching for her belt, she grasped the hilt of her lightsaber, then crouched down to place it on the ground.

Yoda-stands-in-an-empty-Jedi-Council-room-looking-out-the-window..jpg

Council Chambers
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link | Wedding Ring
Appearance: Link
Weapons:
Double-Bladed Lightsaber
Tag: Kassogtha Cthylla Kassogtha Cthylla Thelma Goth Thelma Goth Kahlil Noble Kahlil Noble Amani Serys Amani Serys Jasper Kai'el Jasper Kai'el

"You've spent years looking for a solution alone," Valery said, her eyes shifting from Thelma's Master to Kahlil. He had made good points about how isolation was a large part of this problem, and she wasn't one to just give up on a Padawan over something they couldn't control either. The Jedi and Galaxy had faced immense problems throughout history, so she refused to believe there was no solution to this situation without at least looking into it.

"The choice to be a Jedi will always remain yours, and I will not support pushing you out. If you wish to stay and complete your training, you can count on my support, and I'm certain the other members of this Council will want to help too." Whether or not a solution would be found, remained to be seen, but to give up on a student without even taking the time and effort to try and help would be so against everything the Jedi stood for.

She wasn't going to allow it to happen.

"As for Master Koschei, I agree with Master Noble. He will be exiled from the Order and the Alliance's justice system will handle his case to address the crimes he committed."

Last edited:
"I've also lived several of your lifetimes," Thelma replied. "Well, few have lived as long as you, Mrs. Noble. But in all that time, knowing both my family and other members of my species, I have never found a solution. There is no denying what I am."

"Wait a minute," Kass cut in, growing uneasy with how rapidly things seemed to be progressing. "How will you handle your... nature after you leave the Order, Padawan Goth?"

Silence. Thelma lowered her head, then raised her chin, looking at their faces directly. "I cannot lie," she said. "I have no other choice but to feed from others. It is necessary for me to live a normal, healthy life."

"Then we can't let you leave," Kass said, turning to the other Councilors. "If we're turning Koschei over to the authorities for attempting to feed from one of our Padawans, then we must also turn her over to them. Even if she doesn't feed from Jedi, she can't be free to do it to others."

Things developed quickly, and heatedly. Amani barely had time to consider it all, and reactively raised her hands as if to cease the drama. "We are all making some rash decisions I think. Thelma—" She turned to the padawan, "I understand your fears, but I for one refuse to give up when this open dialogue has only just begun. We want to help you. Others in the past have overcome similar conditions, and grown into successful Jedi in their own right." The mirialan frowned slightly, "And, well, you know we can't just let you go out and feed on unwilling citizens." Thelma admitted she would be doing as much if she left the Order. The honesty was admired, but it effectively sealed the padawan's fate.

"It would be safer for you to stay with us, where we can monitor and assist as needed." Amani turned to Maxim next, "As for Master Koschei, I have to agree that he must be held to a higher standard given his rank. While Padawan Braze's behavior was undoubtedly distasteful, and should be addressed by his mentor," She side-eyed Jasper for a moment, "Koschei's response was malicious, and manipulative. We've dealt before with Jedi who tried to forcefully violate the minds of their peers," Her thoughts turned to the late Kai Bamarri, and her heart fell heavy, "The rest of the case should be handled in a proper court of law. I'm sorry it's come to this."

Thelma was quiet as Amani spoke. “I understand,” she said, and nothing more.

Koschei was not so submissive. “You’re talking about the Sithspawn boy. He was addicted to the minds of others, their thoughts and memories like a drug to him. We must feed in order to survive—it is not the same!” The guards closed in to restrain him, agitated as he was becoming. “There are more than a dozen species of vampire in the galaxy. It isn’t some ‘condition’ you can cure. It is our nature. We don’t even kill when we feed! Would you condemn us all to starvation and extinction?!”

His growing rage was cut through by the sight of Thelma, who stood with shoulders trembling and her hands over her mouth. For the past few years, each had been the only family either of them had left. The only other person they knew who understood their private pain. The weight of their impending separation and the consequences of his actions began to bear down upon Koschei, and he looked at her with anguish in his eyes. “Forgive me, Thelma. Forgive me...”

Enough of these theatrics,” Master Cthylla sternly interrupted, though she hesitated at the sight of Thelma’s tears and spoke a little more gently. “Padawan Goth, if you have anything else to say, you may speak now.

The little vampiress shook her head, swiping her sleeve over her eyes.

I agree that Master Koschei’s case must be dealt with in the secular courts," Master Cthylla said. "As for Padawan Goth, I recommend she be kept within the Temple grounds and her behavior closely monitored until further notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom