Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Problem wtih Armament Ratings

[member="Cyrus Tregessar"]

This is what I'm going off of for speeds.

New = Old
1 = 0.5
2 =1
3 =1.5
4 = 2
5 = 2.5
6 = 3
7 = 3.5
8 = 4
9 = 4.5
10 = 5
11 = 5.5
12 = 6
13 = 6.5
14 = 7
15 = 7.5
16 = 8
17 = 8.5
18 = 9
19 = 9.5
20 = 10

Saera Willamina Savan

~+--- Skaidra ---+~ Beskarsmith, Alchemist
I completely and entirely don't understand the obscurity and vagueness that is Starship 3.0, but to me it also really doesn't matter since all my ships - if I ever make more ships - will have their armaments classically listed anyways, seeing as that is still an option.

However... I'll be honest. I see the 0-20 and wonder, "what the hell do all these numbers represent, aside from a number?"

Did I miss a memo or something that defines each grade?

[member="Særa Ayña Savan"]

Nothing and everything.

They are optional.

You can use them or you can not use them. You can use 2.0 starship armament system or you can not. You can come up with your own system and list it in detail in the sub.

You can pretty much do whatever you want with Armament so long as the Factory Judge looks at it and goes "Yeah. That's alright."

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Captain Larraq said:
[member="Særa Ayña Savan"]

Nothing and everything.

They are optional.

You can use them or you can not use them. You can use 2.0 starship armament system or you can not. You can come up with your own system and list it in detail in the sub.

You can pretty much do whatever you want with Armament so long as the Factory Judge looks at it and goes "Yeah. That's alright."
But again; what does it all mean? How many guns does the enemy have? How large are their guns? Are any of their guns batteries?

All the number tells me, from what I've gathered thus far, is that when two of the same ship go at each other, the one with the higher number wins....

I know this was probably a thought and discussion with the staff prior during the planning phase, but the number thing seems entirely abusable and too vague.

Aynea Savan Xyhn said:
But again; what does it all mean? How many guns does the enemy have? How large are their guns? Are any of their guns batteries?

All the number tells me, from what I've gathered thus far, is that when two of the same ship go at each other, the one with the higher number wins....

I know this was probably a thought and discussion with the staff prior during the planning phase, but the number thing seems entirely abusable and too vague.
The key word here is "Generic". Basically, any ship with an Armament rating, unless otherwise specified, can safely be assumed to have 80-100% Standard Turbolasers. At best, Heavy Turbolasers.

Frigate with an 18/20? Assume it's got 20-30 Turbolasers.
Frigate with 16/20? Closer to 15-18 Turbolasers.

500 meter Frigate with a 20/20? Now you're looking at around 50-60 Turbolasers or 20-30 Heavy Turbolasers.

Cruiser with 18/20? If it's around 600-750 meters, assume it's got around 60-80 Heavy Turbolasers.
1000 meter Cruiser with 20/20? Maybe... 100 Heavy Turbolasers?

The key point we realised is that although pedants like me went through and did the gun maths, it never came up in an RP. Not even once. Not at all in all the fleeting battles, has the number and composition of weapons made any real difference.
What makes a difference is whether you have heavy or long-range or whatever...and that's listed in your strengths and weaknesses.

Gun maths was at the same time stopping more people making ships due to the enforced complexity and also being completely superfluous.

Valiens Nantaris said:
The key point we realised is that although pedants like me went through and did the gun maths, it never came up in an RP. Not even once. Not at all in all the fleeting battles, has the number and composition of weapons made any real difference.
What makes a difference is whether you have heavy or long-range or whatever...and that's listed in your strengths and weaknesses.

Gun maths was at the same time stopping more people making ships due to the enforced complexity and also being completely superfluous.

Yeah... But in the entire time I've been here, have I ever fired a shot at another capital ship/fleet?

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Hrrm. Hard to argue against that.

[member="Captain Larraq"]

Ah, didn't you trade shots with Circe at Dromund Kaas?

This does highlight the point that fleeting is sort of window dressing here, and for all that it's oft-mentioned in the background it does feel like we're in cold war-esque situation. Everyone wants the biggest and newest toys, but no one is willing to see them get broken.

Valiens Nantaris said:
Which is why the Ship section of the factory/codex is the only one I haven't used.

Thank the force the gun math is gone. ._.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Then that leaves me with only one problem left.

What keeps people from saying their "generic" armament is better than my specified pre-update armament?

Aside from likely getting reported, of course.

Cyrus Tregessar said:
[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Hrrm. Hard to argue against that.

[member="Captain Larraq"]

Ah, didn't you trade shots with Circe at Dromund Kaas?

This does highlight the point that fleeting is sort of window dressing here, and for all that it's oft-mentioned in the background it does feel like we're in cold war-esque situation. Everyone wants the biggest and newest toys, but no one is willing to see them get broken.
Only shots fired at Dromund Kaas were at NPC orbital defenses.
During the New Order invasion of Dromund Kaas I opened fire... but the defending writer abandoned the thread.
I fired a Vulcan Cannon at Circe/Ashe once, but it was handwaved out of.

That's... literally it.

Aynea Savan Xyhn said:
Then that leaves me with only one problem left.

What keeps people from saying their "generic" armament is better than my specified pre-update armament?

Aside from likely getting reported, of course.
Descriptive writing.

You can't handwave anything other than 'generic and basic' weaponry on a sub that doesn't specifically mention the appropriate weaponry on it.

If you have specific weaponry, you can make better use of it in your descriptive writing.

[member="Captain Larraq"] [member="Aynea Savan Xyhn"]

Death Star's rating: 99

X-wing's rating: about 3 in comparison

Looks at Luke.

Looks at that proton torpedo.

Looks at the death star.

A toothpick can kill a Wookiee, if you're smart enough about it.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
Captain Larraq said:
Only shots fired at Dromund Kaas were at NPC orbital defenses.
During the New Order invasion of Dromund Kaas I opened fire... but the defending writer abandoned the thread.
I fired a Vulcan Cannon at Circe/Ashe once, but it was handwaved out of.

That's... literally it.
Bro, we gotta have a go at it one of these days.

@Tefka

Star wars fleeting tech is much similar to WWII than it is to modern times. You've got swarms of bombers attacking big ships while the big-gun ships duke it out within sight of each other. It's not dots on a screen, because that would be boring. Star Destroyers are much similar to battleships than actual destroyers. Yes, in modern day navies they are the big fighting ships, but they're still small compared to, say, aircraft carriers. It's not that destroyers have gotten bigger, it's that in the real world with modern day tech smaller ships are better. In Star Wars that's simply not the case.

[member=Melakoth Tyrin]

Well in Star Wars fleeting you're also taking into account zero gravity, a third axis, and futuristic technology present in an entirely different galaxy.

So in Star Wars, it's all "simply not the case", but I understand your point.

[member="Tefka"]

Yeah, fair point. I think the thing is, when the movies were originally created, the idea seemed to be that the Empire's ships were ALL SDs, so it made sense for them to be called destroyers, because they were obviously quite small (by the standards of the Death Star and the Executor) and were being mass-produced.

sabrina

[member="Captain Larraq"] I raise you, the mother of all battle ships

AMACAARQ-P694663.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom