Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Parent's Trap

There it was, the mighty fine itch to throw something at Makai's head for the smug grin plastered over his face. Really? Really? Of all the things to joke about?

She'd been wondering if perhaps a shadow of Makai's former idiot self yet remained. Myra had her answer.

Just how much of a mouthing off would I get from ma if I did indulge and throw the napkin to his face? Luckily, what matter of hoodoo managed to get Makai to switch the subject to a safer discourse. However, there was no denying the slight tick at the corner of her eye that told of her brewing frustration. Our kids. Who's to say what sort of future that would be?! Never mind that back in her room, there was a diary with at least twenty potential first and middle names categorized by meaning and just how well they rolled out the tongue.

Teenage Myra had been the typical girl who would endlessly practice just what her signature would look like if she added Dashiell to the end of it.

"I do," stick to the safe topics. " When I have time. Bought the new Balsa wood longboard by Seven Lights." It was also one of the reasons why her home at Chandrilla had access to a private beach.

"You?" she imagined with as busy as his father had Makai, odds were not.

Makai had schooled himself into a neutral expression but a glint of mirth was left in his eyes as they met hers. He considered it progress really, comfortable enough to let a small tease or two escape into the conversation. Considering their first terse words to one another it was a welcome change.

On his end anyway.

"I'm sort of surprised you kept up with surfing. I'm also incredibly jealous of your board."

Makai was proud in a way she had continued the past time. It had been a hilarious sight he was sure when they were kids, trying to teach her once she was a strong swimmer. Naturally, Ellie had picked it up fairly quickly and it had become the main activity they spent their childhood on. He figured after their spat she would have wanted nothing to do with it.

"No, I got a little bit on Arkas,when I sent you that holo. Otherwise absolutely nothing."

It had been an attempt to try to reach back out to her, as lame as it was.

"Maybe once our schedules align." He cast a look to L3 for a moment. "We can spend the day surfing together."

Myra Elspeth Arceneau Myra Elspeth Arceneau

Last edited:
A flush came in delight and bashfulness that Makai was jealous of her longboard. That also clashed with the slight confusion about why he thought she would have given up on the sport.

Did he think that I wouldn't surf because of him? Or was there something more? Again, her mind was going too deep with her 'what if' situations. It only increased when he mentioned sending her that holo from Arkas.

It had been a holo of Makai, the beach at Arkas at his back, his signature smile, surfboard at his side, and the words, Missing my surfing buddy - we've got to hang out soon.

That holo had made her focus if he was on Arkas on his own; if not, then who, and if he had other people with him, why would he care about hanging out soon with his childhood surfing buddy? Again, she'd riled herself up so badly that it had been another Outworlder night.

L3, well aware and attuned to his Mistress's emotions, was prompt in answering, [ Of course, Mister Dashiell. I will ensure that day trips coincide with your schedules and meetings. ]

A slight trace of annoyance crept over Myra's expression, wryly adding, " Goodness L3, perhaps you should become Makai's assistant instead."

Of course, the advanced protocol droid ignored the joke, and instead decided to take it literally.

[ Excellent suggestion, Miss Arceneau. ] Turning towards Makai he added, [ May I recommend participating in the Mock III testing and utilizing my programming and assistance? With proper calibration, our technology department at PharmaTech may duplicate my systems and programming to your needs, allowing me to directly interface with my systems through an encrypted holofeed and work in tandem for you and Miss Arceneau. ]

Caf had arrived to signal the ending of the meal, the main plates taken as the dark liquid was poured in front of him, steam rising from the cup. He didn't want dinner to end, enjoying the company and conversation, and had to remind himself it would be the first of many.

Her eyes were kicking up another storm at the interjection of L3, mild annoyance painted all over her features. He watched her, more amused than anything, as L3 explained how he could be both of their assistants.

What happened to what's mine is yours and what's yours is mine?

Makai made the remark to himself, knowing if he was to tease her now it would just draw a hornets nest upon him. He had already pushed the limit with chocohews and their future children, trying to get under her skin for a third time was tempting fate. Younger Makai would have made this mistake. Now he knew just a smidge better.

"I think that would be acceptable L3. If talks go how I want with my father I will be needing your assistance both professionally and personally."

Makai never thought he would have to be the one to schedule romance, schedule time with people. It was becoming abundantly clear why his father often put the most mundane things on his schedule, there was simply no other choice when stepping further into the business.

"We can set up a time soon for the testing. Sooner than later."

Spoon clinked around his cup for a moment, stirring in the sugar and cream.

"Speaking of, the contract is basically settled. In such a case, Ellie did you want me to stay or leave in the morning?By my rough estimates we won't see each other for another three weeks, unless you meet me at PharmaTech for testing I suppose."

Makai wasn't sure getting a head start a day early in an effort to see his father and talk would make much of a difference. More so it was just the way of putting the ball in her court. While he was incredibly sure he was trying to consider if Ellie needed time and space to process.

That was not how Myra thought her wayward comment would turn out. Before she could object, Makai had indicated his confirmation regarding the matter. A purse of her lips and a narrowed-eyes glare in L3's direction conveyed her silent interjection of perfidy.

What was worse, it wasn't as if she could honestly object to it. The Mock III Protocol Droid processing module was one of the most advanced self-learning packages for a protocol droid utilized as a personal assistant for executives. Not only did they provide professional assistance in the workplace, but the personalized testing and calibration ensured the mental, spiritual, and overall well-being of the individual they were paired with.

Danger would have likely recommended it to Judah if she hadn't already.

[ Of course, Sir. I shall review your calendar and schedule accordingly. ]

By now, Myra had tossed three sugar cubes in her caf. She had a sweet tooth; in this instance, she'd take as much sugar as she could. Makai, with his last, had sent the shock ball to her court, so to speak. Her mind was weaving between what her ma said, the expectations, her responsibilities, and the odd sense of needing to get right with herself after all this. It was still very overwhelming.

A pause and then a clink of her spoon against the caf cup dish. " Would you please detail what Salacia would like for the contract?" truth be told when he told her earlier, it had fallen to the wayside as she'd still been reeling at his appearance.

"Additionally, I need to follow up with my mother regarding an additional avenue to explore beyond this. Is there anything in mind that would be of interest?"

She had yet to answer his question if he should stay or not. Not yet; she was mulling it over. Digesting. Much like the steak and caf for dinner.

"Testing is also a personal matter. There are several hundred intimate questions to respond to calibrate a Mock III processor." This meant that as curious as she would like to know what those answers might be, they should be done privately and securely to ensure each one was answered honestly.

"Testing is also a personal matter. There are several hundred intimate questions to respond to calibrate a Mock III processor." This meant that as curious as she would like to know what those answers might be, they should be done privately and securely to ensure each one was answered honestly.

"El-Three has seen me in nothing but my scales. I'm not sure how much more personal he and I need to get."

Several hundred intimate questions? Brow furrowed as he took a sip of caf, wondering what possibly the droid needed to know about him that testing was a personal matter. He hoped it sounded worse than it was, Ellie was making it sound like he was going in for a full psychological workup. While he was tempted to ask her to give an example of a question without her answer, it was probably best not to, he would just drive himself crazy trying to figure out her response.

A pause and then a clink of her spoon against the caf cup dish. " Would you please detail what Salacia would like for the contract?" truth be told when he told her earlier, it had fallen to the wayside as she'd still been reeling at his appearance.

"Ten tunnel boring machines, fifteen meters in diameter. Large, I know but the idea is to get bigger and better equipment further than we can now. The borers will be for the Pacanath Reach expansion, the project I've been mapping out. I have a list of sites and I can send you my reports as to best to proceed. It may be wise to build these machines on site but then there is the matter of raiders and elements, as Salacia does not have our outposts complete at this time. Additionally, Salacia would need the drill bit heads for the borers replaced, so an ongoing contract for that."

Makai thought the request was simple enough. Only issue he foresaw was the size of them. A good tug would able to place them into position without trouble, it was merely logistics on the end of Arceneau Trade in his opinion. He had no desire to tour the facility, his father had been friends with Danger Arceneau for over sixteen years now, he trusted the work would be perfectly fine.

"Additionally, I need to follow up with my mother regarding an additional avenue to explore beyond this. Is there anything in mind that would be of interest?"

Makai only paused to take a sip of caf. He was well aware of the Arceneau catalog. Just because he had been tromping around in caverns and looking at ores under magnification didn't mean he was a complete idiot when it came to other business dealings. Having been interested in the mining side, he had personally taken it upon himself to review their technology.

"The MTX Advanced Ionic Decontaminator would be high on additional avenues. Some of the planets have questionable atmospheres in addition to once you get so far in a mine the air not of top quality, especially with machinery. I am unsure of the quantity needed, it would be a case-by-case basis once the mines are more operational."

He flashed a smile.

"Anything else?"

Nothing but his… scales?

An immediate rush of blood went flooding Myra’s cheeks at the inability for the salacious thoughts to percolate in her mind regarding Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell ’s scales and their placement. He was so self-conscious about them, but Myra always thought they were beautiful. However, in this instance it was less about their beauty and more regarding how Makai was all grown up and—

“That sounds fine. We can see what we can do regarding construction on site or if you’d rather look at options of delivery using hover tug clamps if done as a whole. But that depends on what kind of environment the mines are at.”

There was safety in talking about business. It saved her from her imagination running wild — well as much as it could without superimposing Makai onto scenes from Outworlder.

Stop it!

“Do you have a need of a compact version of the decontamination? Perhaps within the mine itself?” Just tak business for now. Ignore that smile. Or the twinkle in his eyes as he gave her that signature upward curve, flashing pearly white teeth.

How is he so damn gorgeous?!

"Each environment is different, you'll see in my reports. It may be a mix of on-site construction and work here in your facilities."

Smile turned to a smirk as he noticed the flush across her cheeks. Ellie always a had a thing for his scales, which typically just caused him to roll his eyes in dismissal. Even if it wasn't written across her face, he knew exactly what she was thinking. It was reassuring to see L3 wasn't the only one that had been taking him in. There was a long stretch in his late teenage years he was confident Ellie was completely oblivious to him. He liked to blame his wiry musculature, while he had broadened out some, clearly he was no Jayme McKenzie.

"Yes, Salacia will need the compact version as well. With the tunnel borers being able to go further, air quality is going to be top of mind. Of course there will be various air exchanges and life support systems in place but I believe the ionic systems will give another level of reassurance. I figure by the two kilometer mark the decontamination systems can start to be set up."

Eyes came back up to meet hers, that smirk still written across his features. Another sip of his caf, that was the safest option.

It was the smirk that did it. The classic 'I know that he knows that I know' conundrum. It was aggravating.

As much as the knowing grin did things to the butterflies in her stomach and fueled her annoyance at him - just how many girls had he practiced that smile on before? — Myra tried her best to keep her best face forward.

However, she didn't do so well in avoiding the moue glare as much as she'd thought.

"Then, in that case, I'll send word to our research and development at Browncoat Arms to see if we can develop a smaller version for you. Once the designs are finalized, we can regroup, and you can make your customization and final prototype. "

Finally, she came to answer his query regarding staying.

"Take the time to rest and regroup," Myra added; as much as she needed time to process, she could not let her mother down.

"If you want to take all the days. Fine. If you rather cut it down to one, that works, too. You said you haven't had time to between back-to-back missions, well the odds are that won't change depending on how deep you'll be getting into attempting to step into your pa's shoes."

“I'll stay out of your hair tomorrow. I'm sure you're busy.”

They walked along the outdoor decking of the aquatic station, Makai wanting some time away from their protocol droid and to be alone with Ellie. Waves crashed against the pylons and distant shore, moon shining against the dark sea.

It felt like being at home again.

Her heels clicked against decking, reminding him of the changes in her life. There were a number of burning questions he had but Makai had the insight not to ask them, not now. He knew her well enough that there was a limit to pushing her so far, so quickly.

Instead he reached out and took her hand, drawing the pair closer together.

“Are you okay with this? With us? Haven't changed your mind yet, have you?”

He was surprised Ellie offered to let him stay. Makai had figured she had wanted him out of her presence by morning and now it looked like he would stay another day, leave after that. It would give him time to talk to L3 and find out more about this entire system they were planning to set up.

He squeezed her hand, curious of her answer.

Why did he have to emphasize this all over again?

Myra was vacillating between being excited as much as being wary. When Makai took her hands into his firm grasp, she kept her downward cast upon them instead of looking up at this face. There were callouses there. Likely due to all the fieldwork he did. Even though he'd wear work gloves to protect his hands, some required working without them.

How had he done out on dry worlds? Myra recalled that any time he spent on Tatooine at her mama's enclave required him to drink triple the amount of water and ensure that he had plenty of Alderranean honey bee balm to retain as much moisture on his skin and scales as he could while still letting his skin be breathable.

"I... am not sure." she was honest at least. She'd yet to look up into Makai's eyes. "This still feels very surreal to me. Not quite real." as if the buck was about to drop at any time.

"I.. think I just need time."

“That's fair.”

It brought to mind questions for himself. Did she really love him? Her confession seemed genuine. Was there a boyfriend back on Chandrila and now she was confused? Maybe she was just parroting what he wanted to hear in order to gain several business contracts. Ellie seemed far too concerned about impressing her mother and while he doubted this was the case, it was something to ponder.

Suddenly he wasn't sure if he should hold her hand. Sure, it wasn't unusual for them as kids but now it was a bit more complicated; for her at least.

Makai had never been so sure. He waited six long years to finally have the headspace and ability to tell her how he felt. When Ellie stated he loved him it was like suddenly reaching the light at the end of the tunnel, like an end to stumbling through darkness.

“I’ll wait. I'll wait forever if I have to.”

The pair each had their own insecurities. Both had made some strides in putting their cards on the table, but working toward equilibrium was still ongoing. It made sense since it had been years since they'd spoken, much less in each other's presence.

Hearing Makai say that he'd wait for her forever if he had to brought a spark of warmth that spread over Myra's chest. It allowed her to lift her face, tilting her head back to study the planes of Makai's face again. Moonlight painted the angles of his cheekbones, the line of his jaw, the way his dark mop of hair would curl and tickle the edges of his brows and flare against his ears.

"Careful what you say, Makai Dashiell." She'd murmur, a multitude of emotions reflected within the expanse of her stormy eyes. Love and Longing. Wariness and obsession. Covetousness and pride. A sea of opposing emotions crashing and barreling together in pounding surf, threatening to pull one under or to surf the wave of a lifetime.

"Lest I hold you to it." It was an oath, not a promise.

Her voice was quiet against the crashing of the waves, her head finally tilted to look at him. Makai slowed their steps,hand still entwined with hers. He could tell the tone of the conversation was shifting again and he gave a gentle squeeze of her hand.

“What else am I doing with the rest of my life?”

Makai had tried to picture his life without her, had lived his life without her presence in it. Everything felt incomplete. He wanted to share everything with her, from the mundane to the exciting and beyond.

“I tried living without you. I don't want to, I'd much rather spend it by your side.”

He had an extraordinary amount of time out alone mapping the Pacanth Reach areas. It had given him time to think, really he had been thinking since he left school. Their fight years ago wasn't necessarily unwarranted but Makai had come to realize he had to take some form of action. He had been pondering next steps while staring at ores and marking landmarks, not quite putting the pieces together of how he would get to this point.

Then the zenith arrived, thrust upon him. He had been taken by surprise by the sight of her, looking every inch the powerful heiress her mother had been molding her to be. It had only hammered home how much time they were wasting, how time would continue to pass whether he took action or not.

With a little help from L3 of course.

“I tried living without you. I don't want to, I'd much rather spend it by your side.”

I'd much rather spend it by your side. That phrase would echo in Myra's heart for the next few seconds, the thrum of crashing waves resonating between them as the night stood still.

Myra tilted her head and stared at Makai standing across from her, his hands cradling hers. She felt she could now be sure that the Younger Dashiell before her was not an illusion. The illusion of Makai that she'd seen countless times until now was generally like a fleeting ghost. There was no way that her imagination could have created Makai declaring himself so firmly with such certainty.

Perhaps because the moon was so bright, Myra could see Makai clearly, even in the darkness of the night.

There was an energy in the air. An electric current. Once that, it would start low, only to grow higher in pitch. It took a moment to realize it was all in Myra's head, but it was the sense of tension stretching taunt. Tighter still.

In the nearly two decades of Myra's life, she'd known Makai for practically three-quarters of it, with her seemingly one-sided love for her best friend almost as long. Since its conception, Myra had not had the best luck appropriately expressing it. It either came out all wrong, misinterpreted, or perhaps a victim of her mental demons that the young woman struggled with.

Makai making himself clear with his love confession earlier and confirming his desire to be by her side as long as she would have him meant that Myra didn't have to hold back. That Makai would accept her as she was. Hot and cold, obnoxious, jealous over affection that perhaps lent into obsession. It was by no means a healthy method of loving someone. Maybe it would never be. But Makai was willing to take a chance on that.

The silence was all of a few seconds, a handful of heartbeats. The subsequent reaction, however, was instantaneous. A magnetic pull.

Myra took all of a breath to step forward, crossing the distance between them, a storm slamming onto the shore. Arms went up, winding round Makai's shoulders, and instinctively tugged him down.

Here's hoping Makai had a good sense of balance, for the tempest that was Myra Elspeth Arceneau Kuhn fell against him, warm lips crashing against his, lids falling shut.

He'd opened Pandora's Box.

For better or worse, there was no closing it shut.

Throughout his life, Ellie always had expected him to just know. It probably stemmed from the fact that due to her mute start he had to just assume and she rolled with the punches. Once teenaged fueled hormones were added into the mix, it became a nightmare of pointed glares, sighs, and calling him an idiot. Signals had always been confusing.

Until now. Ellie had never been this loud and clear with her intentions when it came to them.

Everything else faded away once their lips met, the nervousness, the concern of ruining a life-long friendship, their past mistakes and heated fight. His world was awash in her soft lips, the heady honeysuckle of perfume,the way her curves pressed against his body.

Calloused hand found its way to her neck, thumb running across smooth skin. Eyes slowly opened as their lips parted, forehead coming to rest against hers, burning lungs drawing a shaky breath.

tumblr_namng0x42R1t1dqxlo4_500.gif

C E L E S T I A
S T A T I O N

VYUt92E.png

The purposeful, smooth, and easy clicking sound of high heels along the polished floor leading towards the headquarters offices of Salacia Consolidated resonated through the hallway. Every step brought a startled step from a passerby and a murmur, sending office clerks and administrative staff to part like the sea, promptly stepping to the side and offering a low, startled welcome.

Most women have no sense of timing. They are either all stop or all go. For Danger, every breath was an invitation and every movement a tease. She was not unaware of her allure, she was just so damn good, she didn't have to think about it. All the Trade Queen had to do to get a man's undivided attention was show up.

Danger Arceneau had been turning heads and raising eyebrows for nearly five decades, ever since her Hapan ancestry finally decided to make an entrance, delivering ample nacelles that would make any man do a double take. While silver may streak her vibrant auburn hair and laugh lines etch her face, there was no denying Danger Arceneau was still as hot as a firecracker. Beauty aside, the sheer amount of galactic reach and sway by the Arceneau Trade Conglomerate meant that her presence at any event typically came with advance notice and a sense of timing.

Needless to say, Danger hadn't given Salacia forewarning.

No, the Trade Queen had decided upon herself to make an unexpected visit, and it showed. From the hanger attendant to the guards, assistant droids, and now, Mrs. Datos herself.

"Miz-iz. Arceneau!" came the startled cry of Mrs. Datos, Judah's personal assistant. She shot up to her feet so fast she almost plumb-tripped over her pumps, trying to circle her desk.

"No need to chime me in, Miz-is Datos; I can do so just fine." Danger sang, walking past her with no shame whatsoever as if she owned the place-- Which she did; forty percent of Celestia Station, that is.

Without further ado, the woman boldly made herself at home, striding towards the wide double doors of Judah Dashiell's office. Hands grasped the handles, and with a flourish, the Trade Queen swung them open.

"Hello Judah," Danger had that smoky Southern Systems whisper that a man didn't so much hear as inhale. Only this time, that drawl was edged with knowing devilry, a broad smile splitting her full lips and her brilliant emerald green eyes igniting with vigorous fire.

"Call of your meetings. We've some catchin' up to do."

space-stars.gif

While most of Celestia Station was murmuring about the presence of one Danger Arceneau, Judah was in his office, walking around a map of the galaxy. Points were mapped out of the current wars, along with known sites ripe with salvage and debris. Many were in areas he wasn't sure Salacia should tread in yet - reports were commissioned to weigh the risks and advantages and he was finally diving in.

Until a certain Trade Queen burst through his office doors.

"Danger, hello. You're looking well."

Most men would give up everything to have the redhead burst through their doors. Right now, all he could do was look amused by her appearance, a wild look in her eye. Cancel his meetings? Catch up? Brows knit in thought, going over his schedule for the day in his mind. The pair weren't slated to have one of their smoke-and-gossip sessions for at least another month, as far as he could remember.

Then it struck him : the kids.

In-hand remote turned off the galaxy map, the dark room illuminating itself automatically, pinpricks fading away. He leaned over and pressed a button on his desk.

"Mrs. Datos, cancel my day. Miss Arceneau has arrived and needs my assistance with a few matters." He looked back to Danger. "Please, make yourself comfortable."

Judah drifted over to his in-office selection of alcohol. The bottles were often gifts and he had a wide variety. On top was a small humidor and he flipped it open, already knowing Danger would want to indulge with him.

"The usual? Cognac? Brandy? I've also got a few cigarras I liberated from Corek, did you know he makes them? Not bad at all, the leaves are infused with Whyren's Reserve."

"I can safely assume your presence means you have an update?"

Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau

Last edited:
Danger strolled in, closing the doors behind her - with a very flustered Mrs. Datos in the background expressing an apologetic look before they slid shut.

[ Oh, yes, of course, Mister Dashiell. ] came the disconcerted twang from Ms. Datos, already making headway toward doing as Judah requested. It had to be a severe issue for the Trade Queen to appear unannounced. What sort of Galactic confounder would it be?

Little did Ms. Datos know, it had nothing to do with Galactic politics, war, intergalactic law, or levies.

No, this was a subject of a delicate matter. One that would have greater consequences on a galactic scale than mere war.

Of course, this was about Myra and Makai!

"I always do," Danger chimed, full hips swaying as she made headway over to the bar, proving an arch of a brow at the extent it had grown since she was here last time.

"Cognac and the cigarillo,"
She'd drawl, working in tandem with the elder Dashiell by grabbing lowball glasses for them both.

Oh, she was practically giddy.

"Well, have you heard back from Makai yet?" She asked, her green eyes twinkling with a multitude of secrets, that knowing smile growing into a full blown grin.

“Cognac? There's a bit of change.”

Judah brought everything over to the desk, pushing away some files he had laid out. Cigarillo was in his mouth and lit by the time Danger asked if he had heard from his son. Good thing some of the additives of the vice were already hitting his blood stream - he felt as if her story was going to be an interesting tale. If their last meeting was any indication it was going to be nothing but.

“No. Last communication I received was several of his reports for the expansion. That was…a few days ago.”

Drinks were poured and Judah chose not to sit behind his desk but near the Trade Queen in one of the chairs guests normally occupied. Best to stay close for this.

“However, Makai will only call if he's backed into a corner or in trouble, everything else we talk about in person. Not sure the tale you're going to weave but it's a bit of a hike here to the Tingel Arm. That or he fled back into the Pacanth area and is far too frightened to tell me.”

Gaze took in the Trade Queen as he reached for his glass. Biggest mistake last time was the fact he decided not to have any alcohol. Judah had the biggest headache after learning his son had been choosing candy over Myra. It had taken a lot of willpower not to ask Makai about the situation.

“You're practically bursting at the seams to weave this story, so what update do you have?”

Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom