Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Parent's Trap

d9c2acdd9790d4de59982f960d9484fd5e1fdc10_2000x2000.webp

Tags : Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau | Theme | Interior | Planet : Maramere

Silverware clinked against one another, voices murmured throughout the expansive space, restaurant staff buzzed around like bees pollinating flowers. Windows looked out at the undersea ocean, fish lazily swimming by as diners cut into the various seafood offerings of the day. There was something a little amusing eating a creature that was most likely swimming in the same water the day before.

Against one of the expansive viewports off to the side two old friends caught up. Family, business dealings, various bits of news that escaped one another's notice. Last they spoke was the university graduation and Judah had been busy ensuring his ex-wife and Danger Arceneau didn't kill one another. Catching up wasn't an option when he had been sitting between the two women during the entire ceremony. With both being incredibly busy, some length of time had passed since they had done something like this. Judah was busy trying to set up Salacia's new headquarters and Danger,well, was retired but she had been busier than ever in his opinion.

".....this kid comes home and thinks he's going to mope on the couch for who knows how long." Judah shook his head. "I took him on that deep sea fishing trip after graduation. We had a good time but after he just seemed content to do absolutely nothing but look forlorn. So, I've sent him off in search of potential mining sites. It's like I've got to keep him active every minute of his day. I thought all those credits I sunk into years of therapy would have brought him around a little."

He paused to take a sip of water and clarify his position.

"Don't get me wrong, he's come a long way. I finally feel a corner has been turned that I never thought we'd reach. I don't know...he just seems lost. I havent even seen him hang out with Myra in years at this point. Thats unusual, they used to be attached at the hip."

Shoulders shrugged. Judah had pried into the situation and Makai had made a mention of messing up and not contacting the girl for a period of time but now she didn't seem to return any message. The two kids had little spats before, misunderstandings, but not to the point where they went ages on end without talking. He knew full well his son wasn't telling him the entire situation regarding the Arceneau daughter.

"Speaking of, how is she doing?"

Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell

Amusement would color Danger's emerald eyes, the laugh lines at the corners of her eyes crinkling upwards at Judah's fatherly vexation at his only son's antics. The decades had been kind for them both, and their friendship had only grown more profound as the years passed. Judah and Makai will always have a special place in her heart; they were a pair she took under her wing in the absence of Judah's ex-wife. By all accounts, Makai held a special place in her heart as an adopted son before the 'verse had decided to bless Alric and her with Myra.

Despite having her own family now and finally finding peace and a home with Alric and Myra, there was no way that Danger could distance herself from Judah or Makai. By all accounts, she'd long set up Makai his own trust fund and company shares aside from the inheritance provided by Judah's salvage empire. She wanted what was best for both Judah and Makai, even sometimes to the point of overprotectiveness that some may view as dangerously crossing lines, but few things could stir the Trade Queen's ire. Those she considered her own were squarely on that short list that would prompt her to break her infamous stance of neutrality.

"Well..." her well-known husky drawl would pour out like sweet, Corellian honey, those verdant eyes drawing up to rest upon her dearest friend's rugged, weather visage. "Makai ain't the only one moping around and actin' all sorts of forlorn." The mental image of her adopted daughter, Myra came to mind.

They'd seen the shy girl blossom into a lovely young woman for several years, diving headfirst into her studies to take over the reins of the massive business empire Alric and Danger had built up over the decades. For the longest time, Danger had thought that her family's legacy would end with her; what with her infertility and her penchant for keeping prospective partners at bay had meant she wouldn't have anyone to pass down Arceaneau Trade and its affiliate companies to. But it was different now. And while Danger had not placed as much pressure on Myra as Colette Arceanu had on her daughter, when it became known that Myra was interested in taking on the helm of the family conglomerate, Danger did her best to ensure Myra would be in the best position possible.

The end resulted in an intensive education schedule in business administration with a minor in xenolinguistics at the University of Coruscant while taking courses at the Oiran Guild House to make her culturally well-educated with training in many areas, including psychology, music, fencing, as well as unarmed martial arts. There were classes on politics, philosophy, technology, finances, economics, interplanetary trade laws, and public relations. There were even Danger's lessons on interacting with the galaxy's mercurial factions while maintaining tactful but pleasant business negotiations.

One could even say there would be barely any time for Myra to respond to Makai's messages, but Danger knew better. While the young woman was not her blood, Myra's disposition leaned towards a kath-hound's stubbornness when interacting - or recent lack of - with her childhood friend.

"I can guarantee she ain't leaving any of Makai's messages unread. I've caught her more than once looking at her data tablet and seein' her readin' one of Makai's messages. " an amused snort came, "oftentimes muttering under her breath about the obliviousness of men and cursin' choco chews."

Danger wasn't sure why choco chews were relevant, but for certain, they always seemed to be when it came to Myra and Makai.

Danger Arceneau Danger Arceneau

For Judah, a broader picture was being painted as Danger filled him in on the mood of the young woman as of late. It was no surprise to him - Makai had confided in him that Myra had been his first kiss. While the pair had been close friends since they were youngsters, Judah at the time chalked it up to simple teenage idiocy. His son excelled at that.

Perhaps there had been something else brewing underneath the entire time. It would explain a great deal of actions on the part of both - the moping, the sighing, the overall look of being forlorn, disappointment when the other didn't show up to an event.

"If there's one thing we Dashiell men excel at its being utterly oblivious at every turn when it comes to love and women. At this point I think its encoded into our genes. Surprised the gene pool has gotten this fair to be perfectly honest."

He smiled wide at his own joke.

"Chocochews? I hope he's trying not to win her over with candy." A pained look came over his face for a moment, the more he learned the more he felt the overwhelming urge to reach for aspirin. "I've failed as a father. I've got a kid trying to impress a girl with chewy candy. I didn't think I'd have to teach these things, it seems so basic."

Judah sat back, gaze looking far away, as if he was replaying back Makai's childhood, looking for the exact moment where he went wrong. He was silent for a long moment before focusing back on the redhead. It was obvious both of their progeny were at some from of impasse. Neither one wanted to budge as if they were in a silent battle of wills.

"I say we throw 'em in a room together and let them sort it out. It either ends in disaster or they work it out and decide to stop looking like the world is collapsing every two seconds."

Last edited:
Judah Dashiell Judah Dashiell

Now and then Danger would concur with Judah regarding Dashiell men being prone to obliviousness. However, that isn’t to say they were not men of worth, integrity, and loyalty. Most often to a fault. It was more apt to say they had their opinions and ever so rarely strayed from where their integrity led them to. Judah had been firm to let Danger know this almost two decades ago in an intimate setting when it came to trying to get him to see just what his absent ex wife - or wife at the time- were doing to him and Makai.

The end result drew a line. One that Danger knew she could not cross lest she lose one of the very few intimate friendships she held dear.

Bringing her glass of neat Corellian whiskey to her lips, Danger gave another chuckle before taking a sip. Her brows rose high at that suggestion.

“To be fair to Makai, you know all of the growin pains Myra's had to go through...and the sort of hurt she has goin' through her head.” She set her glass down, finger tapping against the glass. Between goin through her own therapy, relearnin to talk again, gettin socialized and learning how to interact with people she's never had a good filter when it came to seein things rationally when it came to Makai.

“What if we do get them in a room together? In a way they can’t avoid each other…” she mused quietly. Sure, Judah had thrown the kitchen sink at her when she'd first started looking round for options for Myra, not for her to settle but to at least provide something as an option should the chance loom that any would perk her interest. The utter craziness of Blythe still churned her insides like maggots writing in rot. It was not something she'd want Myra to go through again.

But what if they gave Myra and Makai one last shot. Judah and Alric couldn't fight her anymore regarding her methods if that should fail.

“You said you’ve been ordering Makai to act more in your stead and work the business? So is Myra. She’s been conducting and overseeing a few negotiations. I could tell her that we’ve another potential contract with Salacia… one that requires hashin out the details with Mistah Dashiell of course…”

Judah would not miss reading the in between the lines. Both Judah and Makai would be considered the mister in that scene.

Last edited:
It was a fairly simple request.

Makai, head to Maramere and negotiate a contract with Miss Arceneau for a series of tunnel boring machines. I trust you to make the final decisions and hammer out the details with her. According to the head of mining, they would prefer a tunnel cross section of fifteen meters in diameter. Ensure they can provide enough rotary cutting wheels for continued expansion as well.

Nothing out of the ordinary besides the size of the tunnel boring machine. At such a massive size he suspected it would have to be built on planet or built in pieces and assembled at the mine. He wasn't quite sure on the technology needed to actually get the machine where it was needed in the galaxy but thats what he expected Miss Arceneau to decide.

He had been in the middle of testing ores on a small moon when he had gotten the message, so he eagerly packed up and headed to Maramere. Makai had just seen the person he considered his 'part-time mother' not too long ago but her company would be welcome once more.

While Salacia did have a location on Maramere, it was easier to dock his cramped scouting shuttle right at the Arceneau headquarters. Ramp was lowered and he was immediately met with glorious, oppressive, humidity. The sea glittered off in an endless direction and the roar of waves could be heard. It felt like a little slice of home, even if he wasn't sure where that was these days. He prayed negotiations would be short and he could have some downtime to surf or take a boat out fishing. His father wouldn't know how quickly he had gotten back to work afterwards.

Makai had done his best to throw together something presentable on short notice. With a scouting ship packed to the gills with expansive scanning equipment, the two small cabins left little in the way of allowing to bring an expansive wardrobe. Polished boots, basic black spacers trousers, and a shirt with the sleeves rolled back would have to do. It wasn't like he was meeting someone who didn't know him.

As Makai meandered down the ramp and onto the landing dock, Kuro danced around him, happy to be off the ship to explore. The loth-cat sniffed around, darting back and forth as they walked.

"Kuro, you gotta behave in here otherwise you'll be banished back to the ship."

Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell

"How are the preparations for the meal going?" The quiet but firm, inquisitive query came from the willowy brunette carefully overviewing the compact holo screen projector detailing her notes regarding the upcoming meeting with Mistah Dashiell.

[ On schedule, we have also confirmed the approbation of Mr. Dashiell's favorite beverages. We ensured nothing alcoholic would be prepared.] said 7E-3T, one of the advanced protocol assistant droids that assisted the young conglomerate heiress in the growing business negotiations and events Myra was involved in. While she never knew the background story, Myra knew that Judah never drank anything alcoholic. Even when he would have drinks with her mother, a connoisseur of the finest whiskies, Judah would instead drink water or other non-alcoholic drinks.

Part of the process of successful negotiations requires intricate and deliberate setting of the scene. There is a reason why a home game advantage allows for success. If she set the scene into a pleasant experience and ensured controllable variables were set neatly into place, then she would have all the Sabacc cards in her hand.

Danger Arceneau, her adoptive mother, built a trade empire across the galaxy using the same Companion skills that allowed her to ensure the comfort and relaxation of her business partners. They would know that in her presence, they could relax, enjoy refreshment, and pleasant company. Something few could find in the circular cycles of one war to the next. It is this reason why Danger could rub elbows with the Sith, Jedi, Alliance, Underworld, and every sort of being in between. She promised them a neutral haven for a few hours where they could completely relax.

"Good," her quiet voice would say, clipping a rose aurodium earring on her right earlobe. Its simple, teardrop design, belying the fact that it was worth as much as a brand-new CEC frigate.

She wore a long, white flowing dress for the occasion. It had a rather steep neckline, but a large black diamond-encrusted swallowtail pendant would complete the look. Her long, light brown hair was carefully pinned up, leaving the back of her nape bare to reveal the graceful curve of her neck. It was all practice, of course, highlighting her best features to provide the best presentation of herself. She didn't have her mother's womanly, seductive curves, but there was a svelte elegance to Myra, much like a Coruscant ballet dancer. Willowy, with soft Aldaranian rose skin and large grey eyes. She was no longer a gangly teenager, all arms and legs.

[ I am informed Mr. Dashiell has arrived.]

"Perfect," Myra glanced up, excitement softening her features. While this was all just for posterity and practice, it would be great to catch up with Judah. A tug in her heart could not help but also think of Makai, but she pushed that foolish thought away. No. She had to focus. Never mind that the thought that Judah might bring up his son sent a shiver of stomach twisting apprehension. It was both good and bad.

"Please guide him to the atrium. Have the refreshments ready. I'll go meet him there now."

[ Hello. I am 7E-3T at your service. If you would follow me this way. ]

Makai raised an eyebrow. Never had Danger Arceneau sent a protocol droid out to greet him. Their relationship by this point was a much less formal one, she had practically helped raise him for a stretch. Perhaps she was busy with another client, the redhead was a very popular woman and meetings and negotiations often ran over.

"Of course. How are you 7E-3T? Miss Arceneau is treating you right?"

[ All of my servos are in good working order Mister Dashiell. I have no complaints about Mistress Arceneau. ]

Furrowed brow deepened as he was lead into an atrium, vast and tall with many live plants soaking up the sun through the windows. Vistas of the ocean were nearly unbroken in this room, interspersed with chairs and various furniture to lounge on. It was a beautiful space and one he didn't think he had been in before, not that he had ever visited Maramere more than once or twice.

[ Mistress Arceneau should arrive shortly. Please, make yourself comfortable. ]

Kuro took this invitation to jump on a low lounger that was fully in the sun, the loth-cat regarding the plush furniture with appreciation before curling up into a little ball. Clearly he was going to make himself as comfortable as possible.

Makai meanwhile remained standing and turned to face the windows, looking out at the ocean and soaking up the sun himself. Space travel had never quite agreed with him due to the low humidity, but he had gotten used to it. Had no choice really. Off in the distance a few fishing trawlers were working, birds swooping around them.

Idly he wondered if Salacia should go into the fishing business, but it would most likely ruin his love of the hobby.

Myra Elspeth Arceneau Myra Elspeth Arceneau

Myra went through the final mental checklist regarding the specifics of the tunnel boring commission they needed from Salacia. If all went well, this would not only allow them better access to the deeper Stygium veins but also may have applications for other mining opportunities across the other companies under the Arceaneau Trade umbrella.

Her heels made a quiet tempo upon the polished floor, and the long, loose sleeves that parted at the shoulder shifted and fluttered with each step.

Alright, Myra told herself. A calm, courteous, pleasant demeanor. A welcoming smile. A firm handshake.

These were all things that she knew she didn't have to do for Judah, but it was just as much practice for her as anything else. If she could get his feedback on how it all went, it would do her wonders to know if she was doing her mother proud in handling negotiations. Judah was like a second father to her, so she trusted his insight and advice.

Myra's eyes brightened in affectionate anticipation as she entered the brightly lit atrium. The salty smell of the sea from the floor-to-ceiling open windows hit her with a wave of nostalgia. It had been a while since she relaxed and enjoyed time off. Idle hands are the devil's playground. Letting her mind wander only led her to places that stirred her heart and ire. Ironically, Myra may not be Danger's blood, but her fiery personality mirrors the elder Arceneau from her younger years.

It didn't take long for the warm smile to freeze and Myra's stomach to plummet. Although the years had passed, Myra could recognize the lean silhouette of the young man standing under the sun's warmth, as if caught in its glowing rays and soaked them in. That shaggy dark mop of hair would curl just under his earlobes and the nape of his neck. Taller than when she saw him last and emanating the presence of a young man rather than the skinny teenage boy he'd been before. He was not Judah Dashiell.

"Makai?" His name would fall from Myra's coral -stained lips before she could catch herself, still stunned at his presence, her delicate features painted in surprise.

The voice that had called his name was not one he had expected. It was a Miss Arceneau to be sure, but not the one he had in mind. Mentally he had to steel himself before turning around. Makai wasn't quite sure of the reaction either one of them would have, but knowing how ornery the young woman could be it was best to be prepared for anything.

Turning around to face the voice, the young man found himself taking in his new, older Ellie. Gone was the phase of being all uncoordinated limbs. Replaced was a young woman with a decidedly regal air, one who seemed much more confident in her self than the girl he had been friends with long ago. He raised an eyebrow at the dress, the neckline plunging and revealing a swath of decolletage. Makai coughed and found his cheeks flushing bright red, he hoped to blame the condition on the sun.

"Ellie."

This young woman most likely went by Myra and he mentally kicked himself for reverting back to her childhood nickname. Tempted to ask why she was standing before him, Makai had to remind himself that the girl was heir to anything the elder Arceneau's owned, and one could reasonably assume to find her at any facility at any given point in time. Why she was dressed in such a manner was a bigger question. Danger Arceneau was afoot and teaching her daughter negotiation skills, with Myra shadowing? The girl had a date? If that was the case, Makai fully intended to make his presence known to the suitor.

While he had a million questions he wanted to ask, Makai was very aware of the footing they last found themselves on years ago. As much as he would like to be a brute and skip all form of manners and presentation, that wasn't going to happen today. If he was being honest with himself it was probably never going to happen and he'd have to make amends with that fact.

He stepped away from the window and closer to her. A very nervous, shaky hand outstretched in greeting.

"Miss Myra, you're looking well. I can safely assume you are assisting your mother today?"

The universe fully intended to pull the rug out from under her. That had to be it. Otherwise, why would Makai be at Maramere, holding out his hand in greeting, with those blasted ocean-blue eyes, looking at her as if he had no care in the world? The fact that there was a nervous tremor in his outstretched hand or the flush over his sun-kissed face barely registered for the young Areceneau Kuhn heiress. She was too busy being taken in by the cruelty of whatever Gods or hooky Forces decided to make Makai Dashiell so blasted gorgeous.

It made her so furious. A line etched between her brows as she battled the warring emotions of rationality, telling her to fall back on her training and the other wanting to step away.

That he called her after her childhood made her internally flinch. How many times had she wanted to hear his voice again, calling her -- paying attention to her instead of whatever else caught his fancy at the time? Consistently losing to a bag of choco chews or other people- notably those Jedi friends he had always hung out with - had done a number on her self-confidence. Never mind that she had felt more like a third wheel and an awkward bean pole. It seemed that Makai had never even tried to put her first.

No, it was always me. I always try to get his attention and make things work. She even chased him down to Chiss' space on her own, pushing through her fear of interacting with others and risking the wrath of her parents. But yet again, all Makai could say was that he was surprised to see her and that she needed to contact her parents right away.

That final attempt to make it work during that geographical survey had been the last straw. The attempt to convey her feelings only ended in misunderstandings and a flare of anger that erupted between the two. Makai was frustrated at the crossed signals Myra was sending compared to what she was saying. Myra was beyond furious that Makai was so dense that he couldn't figure out why she was mad in the first place—all the while combating the worst that her mind could weave at the thoughts of Makai with someone else.

Miss Myra. That greeting brought her back to her senses. Myra was young, but she wasn't a fool. Her mind connected the navpoints once Makai inquired if she was assisting her mother today. Grey eyes went roving across the atrium in a quick appraisal. Judah was nowhere to be found. A lothcat, however, was fast asleep on the couch. For a moment, she thought it could be Kuru, only to notice the difference in fur pattern. Her jaw clenched.

Was this a test? Did mother deliberately do this to see if she could control her emotions and complete the contract? Myra wouldn't put it past her.

All these thoughts went racing for several parsecs a second, culminating when Makai's hand was held out to her.

Alright. Fine. Let's play this game, Myra told herself. Pasting a pleasant, cordial expression, she did her best to attempt to appear as if his presence didn't impact her. Of course, by now, anyone with a keen gaze could see that wasn't the case.

"Mistah Dashiell," the greeting was almost a mirror to Danger's welcome to Makai's Father. There is nothing like using Makai's surname to draw a line of delineation right from the beginning. He used her first name. She used his last.

"Welcome to Maramere. It is my pleasure to be coordinating this meeting with Salacia." Not really, but by the nine hells, she would be trying.

The battle lines were drawn. It was Makai's serve now.

Last edited:
Makai was devastated by two words : Mister Dashiell. It was clear Myra was putting a good deal of space between them at this point, worse than his own greeting. It was a heart crushing event for him to experience, even as he had braced himself for it to happen. It was quite different to experience it, no matter how he had mentally tried to prepare for it. Worse was the fact the he absolutely had to continue and function as if nothing had happened. Makai had a lot of practice just stuffing down his emotions but it didn't make it any easier to do. Boy, was his therapist going to get a pile of new material next session.

At this point his strategy was to plow through negotiations as quickly as possible. He already knew what he wanted : no less than ten tunnel boring machines. The rest was logistics with construction. Once Makai found out where and how they would be built he was back in space and back to his ore samples. Maybe this time he'd just stay hermited away at various mining sites. A little extreme, but when one's last friend turned their back firmly it tended to bring up some unpleasant feelings.

"Mister Dashiell is my father, I'd much prefer Makai."

No one called him Mister Dashiell. Even if he and Myra didn't have some type of previous knowledge of one another he would have requested to just be called by his first name. Besides, they were nearly the same age and it was just frankly odd.

"Do you have any whisky? Preferably as strong as you've got?"

Alcohol wasn't a wise choice at the moment but he was going to have to get through his somehow. Knowing the Arceneau-Kuhn facility they had some of the best around. Makai didn't care if it was bathtub swill at this point. Request in, he might as well lay out his terms to speed up this process even further.

"I will make this painless as possible. I need ten tunnel boring machines fifteen meters in diameter. Extra cutting wheels to be given as an ongoing contract. Price is of no concern, just time."

Point, Myra. Of course, pride in victory at her first serve did nothing but provide a bitter pill for her to swallow. There was no joy in seeing the stormy swirl in Makai’s eyes that indicated she’d hit a nerve, but otherwise was leaving it be and moving on. Just watching her with those gorgeous eyes, the light hitting his iridescent scales that lightly decorated the curve of his cheek just right to glimmer in a way that made Myra’s fingers twitch. She’d always been fascinated by them. Called them pretty. They had been a sore spot for Makai in the past but for Myra, she just always wanted to brush her fingertips against them.

The urge was so strong at this distance that she had to clasp her hands together.

Of course, Myra’s shame only turned to annoyance as it appeared that Makai was all to willing to cut this short and just deal with the contract. Never mind the hypocrisy that Myra had been the one to draw the lines first, using her tongue to inflict damage where she’d knew it would hurt.

Not the sort of reaction her mother would have wanted her to make.

No. I can’t let this fall apart.

Swallowing hard, Myra took in a deep breath and tried her best to hold her tongue. She shut her eyes slowly, then opened them, as if regaining a measure of her calm.

But not really.

“What would be your preference in drinking, then, Makai.” She inquired, telling herself that she had to make this work.

Her mind tried to register his sudden back to back requirements for the terms. If he had his way he’d be in and out in half an hour.

Before she could continue, behind her, L3 walked in, detailing as follows, [ Mr. Dashiell’s suite is ready. Dinner will also be served shortly.]

It was evident that Myra had planned for this to be longer than the speedy agreement Makai was offering; long enough to have a suite to overnight in and a dinner planned. Makai would know exactly how Danger typically worked. Odds were, this wouldn’t just be the standard dinner and suite, but carefully procured to make his stay pleasant and comfortable.

[Tomorrow’s schedule will include visiting the site and planned tours to the facilities. ]

The more the droid spoke, the redder the blush of embarrassment flooded Myra’s face.

[ Miss Arceneau has planned a delightful series of excursions for entertainment and relaxation at the Arceaneau private beach and local deep sea fishing. ]

Well, no doubt about it. She had gone all out.

Makai wondered why the universe hated him. At every turn something just got in his way and forced him to be absolutely miserable. Dramatic sounding? Of course, no denying but right now it felt like the weight of Maramere was collapsing all around him. Mix in the fact it seemed Myra-Ellie was trying to draw this out for absolutely no reason was beyond to him. Even if his father was supposed to show, Makai could give you an absolute run down since the man made up his mind beforehand ; small talk about school or work, maybe the family. A dad joke. Perhaps a walk around and then contract secured. Especially when both parties were close.

Makai pinched the bridge of his nose the more he thought about how trapped he was. Due to some youthful antics over the last few months he was on thin, thin ice. First was the casino thing with Corek Junior and if you ask him it wasn't their fault. After that was being caught for ransom on Arkas - again not his fault that Firemane was involved in a civil war, how was he supposed to know at the time?

Being held for ransom for that brief period of time was far more preferable to this. Maybe he should call up the one who first took him and see if she was interested in extracting him from his current hell.

Hand was removed from his nose and he took a deep breath. One last attempt.

"I would love to stay, however, I just didn't come prepared for it. I don't have a suit for dinner, no swim trunks, I barely had enough clean clothes suitable to toss this together."

All not a lie.

[ Mister Dashiell I would be happy to use my training and programming in the latest fashion to assist. I'm positive I can provide you with something suitable by dinner. ]

Of course you can.

[ Come with me Mister Dashiell. I'll need take some measurements. Don't worry about your companion pet, it's been placed in your suite already. Violent creature if I may say so Sir. ]

"Right behind you L3, don't want to give up the chance to be your palette for the evening."

[ That's quite kind of you Sir. ]

Last edited:

Makai was acting once more as if she was the insufferable one -- never mind if that is the case. Stormy grey eyes followed the lean line of his back as he strolled behind L3, her slim chest rising and falling with vexation.

Unclenching her fists, Myra waited until Makai had left with the protocol droid. Then her shoulders fell, barely holding herself together. This was her worst nightmare - not really, but still - the young heiress hadn't quite outgrown her penchant for the overdramatic when it came to dealing with the younger Dashiell. Nothing was ever black and white when it came to Makai. Myra couldn't help but lose sense of rationality when interacting with him or seeing him with someone else. A little extreme? Perhaps. Then again, the trauma in her childhood, her era of anthropophobia, the fact that Makai had been her only friend who had attempted to bring her out of her shell, and the unfortunate passing of Danger's prejudices and biases would make one understand why Myra reacted so.

The unfortunate thing is that Makai did not know of this, so every action and attempt at communication was lost in translation.

There was a sense of determination as the young woman ducked her head and exited the atrium. Another attendant, L4, joined her, walking just behind her, ready for her instruction.

"Have Moonta tell his associates to put Lobster on the menu for Makai," Myra ordered, struggling between balancing her role as Arceneau's representative and that of being Makai's estranged childhood friend—or more like a sister.

Again, the young heiress didn't consider that her perspective might be skewed when dealing with Makai, but she felt as if her mother had sideswiped her.

[We will have the fishermen immediately set traps, Mistress. Is there anything else we need to adjust? ]

Handling the differences in preferences between Judah and Makai was a quick endeavor, but Myra was only going by memory. It had been years since she last saw him, much the less been updated on his preferences. Not to say it was due to a lack of him trying.

After ensuring the changes suited Makai, Myra made her way to her suite.

She had a call to make, and odds were, her mother would be expecting it.

Last edited:
[ Sir, you've been in the shower for seventeen minutes and forty two seconds. I'm worried about your servos. ]

The tinny but muffled voice of L3 came through the closed door of the bathroom.

"Can't a man enjoy a shower beer in peace L3?"

A definite perk of the suite was the shower, expansive with multiple heads. Makai was taking full advantage, letting his head rest against the cool tile in front of him as he tried to combat a headache from the last thirty minutes. It was also very cathartic, a chance to regroup and feel something besides utter misery.

[ If I may remind you we have a schedule to keep. ]

This time the voice was no longer muffled. L3 had let himself into the bathroom and was staring him down, as if to will him to shut off the water.

"L3, buddy, you have a schedule to keep. I do not." Makai lifted his head to take a swig of beer and noticed L3 watching him. "Alright, alright. I get the hint."

Turning off the water, Makai stepped out, grabbing a towel and running it through his hair.

[ Those are interesting scales Mister Dashiell. ]

Stark naked and a droid was checking him out. At least someone was interested.

"Staring a little too hard there L3. I'm flattered but next you're going to tell me to turn my head and cough."

[ I am not authorized to perform medical procedures Sir. ]

Makai couldnt help but laugh. A hot shower, cold beer, and a little bit of guy talk with L3 was doing wonders. Granted, the way Ellie was treating him hurt, like a constant twisting of a knife, but that was something he was just going to have to deal with.

"Alright L3, let's see what you came up with."

Instead of a suit he was first met with a bottle of cologne.

[ First this. It's some of Mistress Arceneaus favorite scents. Just a small application to the neck Sir. ]

"Trying to help me out? I mean, I'll take all the tips you have."

[ Body language indicators tell me she does have some affinity for you. However, Mistress Arceneau can be stubborn.]

"Tell me something I don't know." Makai paused to follow the instructions of the protocol droid. "I don't think she cares how I feel though L3. I can waltz out there now, kiss her, and she's going to claim I treat her like a sibling. Yet when I stay firmly in the friend space, she acts like a nest of hornets."

[ My training in human nature indicates many are scared of the feelings they experience. Both positive and negative. ]

"Feelings can be scary. Being vulnerable is incredibly frightening. We can't do this forever. I wish she would just be clear of what she wants. I'll honor it, no matter if it's fall off the face of the verse, a friend, or more"

[ You should tell her this. If Mistress Arceneau does not give a response, then there is your answer. Perhaps you're scared of the answer too Sir. ]

"You know what L3? You're alright. We can hang out anytime. You're very insightful, I appreciate it."

Makai got more therapy drying off talking to some protocol droid than he had in months. Must be a knack in the programming.

[ My pleasure Mister Dashiell. Now, about your wardrobe. ]

"Those pants? L3, buddy, the backside is way too tight."

[ That is the point Sir. ]

The holocall only served to frustrate Myra more. Her mother could be considered a tactical mastermind when massaging circumstances in her favor. In this instance, she didn't try to avoid Myra's rapid-fire questions.

No, she just smoked her cigarillo and sipped from an enjoyable glass of whiskey, looking like the Loth-cat that ate the cream.

"Did you know Makai was coming to Maramere instead of Judah?" Myra inquired with a tight voice, the girl a flustered vision adorned in white.

Danger gave an arch of her brow and gave a slow but pleased drawl in reply, "Aye, that I did. He grew up to be just as handsome as his daddy, didn't he? Like you can just sink into those eyes?"

Keen emerald eyes quickly picked up on the flush of rouge darkening her daughter's features, who blustered before catching herself, adding in a strained voice, "Why didn't you tell me?!"

Myra was not taking her mother's bait — or so she thought. Danger had decades on her with navigating conversation the way she wanted.

"I said you will be meetin' Mistah Dashiell for our next series of contracts between Arceaneau Trade and MiraTibx." White smoke blew from full-red lips as if in taunt. "No lie in my words. Makai will one day take Judah's place in his role with Salacia. He is already stepping into his daddy's shoes in more ways than one."

Before Myra could even object, Danger continued, her sultry voice cut with an edge of steel as if to remind Myra of her circumstances and her role to play, "As do you. You are the future face of Arceaneau Trade. Make no mistake. Every single word and action you make will be held to the highest scrutiny. This galaxy will not present you with variables solely under your control. You are responsible for ensuring that you are flexible and can keep a firm grasp and a cool head under any circumstances."

Myra took a sharp breath at that advice— no, more apt, a warning. There was no doubt in Myra's mind that Danger loved her, but the Trade Queen would not indulge her daughter. Myra came a long way from the trauma of her childhood. While years of therapy did their best to help her regulate herself and integrate with the rest of society, if Myra wanted to take on the reins of the business, she could not let her feelings get in the way of being able to keep calm and collected. Her position was to be the neck of the enterprise, moving each business interaction to a mutually beneficial outcome. If Myra could not do so with the one person who flustered her the most, how would she fair standing face-to-face with the Emperor of the Sith?

"I have high expectations for this deal. You are to ensure Makai's satisfaction and comfort while ensuring that both companies have a mutually beneficial agreement. This is more than just ten drill bits and a tunnel for that Stygian mine. You are to use this opportunity to find the next contract with Salacia even after this deal is done, then the next, and so forth. It is your sole responsibility to find out what are other avenues of opportunity and take advantage of it."

Every interaction was an opportunity. Every gala, dinner, event, hell, even war provided a way to profit. Arceneau Trade found its roots in smuggling and crime, much like the Hapan pirates Danger's family descended from. It was a fine line to juggle all those connections and maintain the strict stance of neutrality that made Arceneau into a galactic household name.

Myra swallowed hard, her fingers fisting into tight balls under the swath of white fabric. Every word was a nail to her proverbial coffin. She couldn't refute her mother's words. It almost hurt to breathe.

"Do you understand, Darlin?" That she used the term of affection only made Myra feel worse.

"Yes, mama," Myra murmured. The wind had been knocked out of her sails.

"Good. I expect a full report with your next pitch in three days' time. I love you," Danger said, the affection in her voice returning.

"I love you too." The call ended, leaving Myra alone in her suite. A sense of suffocation rose. It took minutes of using breathing techniques and relaxing mantras to keep the panic attack at bay. Anyone looking at the situation might think Myra was overreacting. But the struggle she had to maintain her calm despite the looming anxiety was genuine. Makai was the chink in her armor. The one who could always tie her up in knots. The seemingly one-sided love that could make her act out in the most foolish of ways.

Last edited:
"I had my doubts L3, but you do some good work."

Makai appraised himself in the mirror. The droid had picked out what he considered an outlandish floral satin dinner jacket, finished off with a white shirt, black trousers and a black tie. The fit more a little more slender than he would have liked but L3 assured him the slimmer look was all the rage in the fashion world at the moment. The droid had even managed to make a shiny reflection happen in the shoes using some type of protocol droid magic and grease.

[ Thank you Mister Dashiell. The coloring should play off your features rather well. ]

He buttoned the jacket and sighed. No escape. He had to do this. So far the protocol droid had given him some invaluable advice about his situation at hand. It was great to listen to but it was another to actually put it into action. There were so many variables at play in a situation he wasn't even in control of. If he didn't come back for a contract with the machines it meant lost credits, which meant a rather disappointed father. He was playing a delicate balancing act, one he wasn't sure he was adept at yet.

The pair left the suite, legs starting to feel like lead with each passing step.

[ One last piece of advice Sir? Be aware of the veneer Mistress Arceneau presents, you may have the upper hand in more ways than you think. ]

Considering their discussion while getting ready, Makai could put the pieces together than he was referring to her 'nest of hornets' attitude at times, the one that flashed at their initial encounter. He offered a small nod in reply to L3 as the protocol droid left him in a type of cigar room. Makai had seen his father and Miss Arceneau in these types before, the sweet smell of cigars lingering long after they were put out.

Now he just had to wait.

Makai Dashiell Makai Dashiell would not wait long. The time L3 took to polish the younger Dashiell up for dinner was used for Myra to put herself back into a semblance of collection. It was all smoke and mirrors, but it was what she had to do in order to make this work between her and Makai.

The intent of such a gathering was to make a comfortable atmosphere to enjoy small talk, the scenery, and use what information could be gleaned from that to find a solution. When her mother indicated that Myra would need to discover the next contract with Salacia beyond the one intended during this gathering meant that Myra wouldn’t have to just interact with him today; but actively be expected to moving forward to ensure continuation of their partnership.

For all the years she’d avoided interacted with him now amounted to a course where she could do anything but that. She would be expected to ask how he was doing, what he was up to, who he was seeing…and if that was his girlfriend?

At times, Myra wished she could be a little less dramatic when it came to Makai. Leave it to her to turn into a hornets nest at any provocation concerning her childhood friend.

Not so ironic that the metaphor was the exact same used by Makai to describe her.

The sweet aroma of cigars always made Myra think of her mama and father. She never partook but there was always a sense of comfort with it.

It was a good thing that Myra took to mending that wall around her heart because Makai’s presence made it skip a beat. Danger hadn’t been exaggerating. Makai was every bit as handsome as his father; perhaps more so, but that could be her bias in action.

L3 did not disappoint and she mentally cursed that protocol droid for finding a way for Makai to be even more gorgeous. The suit was a slim cut, accentuating the lines of his lean physique and the iridescent blue of the scattering of scales against his skin. Gone was the dusty layer over him and the casual work clothes. In there stead stood the heir of Salacia. It only hammered home that she had to be on her best behavior.

Her chest rose as Myra took a breath, suddenly grateful that she brought the tray of the finest Corellian Whyren’s reserve, limited black label, along with two lowball glasses. It allowed her the excuse to tighten her fingers around the edges of the tray.

Step one. Welcome your guest.

“I hope you found the suite to your likin,” Myra began, trying her best not to let her gaze linger over Makai’s shoulders. He hadn’t even turned around yet for her to get the full scenes of L3. Only a hint of unsteadiness could be discerned; with L3’s advisement the subtle tells of how Myra was affected and her attempt to maintain that veneer of cordial hostess would slowly become clear.

“Whyrens Reserve… from our personal collection,” she explained, drawing near, every step causing the length of that white skirt to flutter along her long legs. The tray was placed beside Makai on a small table, her delicate profile facing his direction. Allowing him a closer opportunity to observe her without the initial punch to the gut he’d felt before at her unexpected appearance.

He had been deep in thought as he examined a schematic framed under glass, one of the very over-water station they were on. He hadn't quite heard her enter until there was a subtle clink of glasses when Ellie had tightened her fingers around the tray. She was nervous. In a way, it was good to know she was in the same boat as him. Nerves could show one cared and perhaps if she hadn't been it would be a sign that all hope was lost.

"The suite is fine. I could have slept on my ship, you didn't have to go to any trouble."

Eyes tore away from the schematics and settled on his friend. Ellie had the polished look of a Coruscanti ballet dancer, refined and willowy, with graceful and flowing movements. The white dress she chose only accented her features, clinging to slender legs with each step, cutting low to accentuate the long line of her neck. It took all his will power not to tuck a tendril of of that light-brown hair behind her ear.

He was keen not to be silent for too long and stare, they were already on shaky footing.

"You shouldn't waste the good stuff on me, could have brought out the ten credit, burn your throat questionable quality whisky."

Makai wanted to press his advantage now while he was feeling confident but he knew it was too soon. Besides, in the off chance Ellie didn't want to speak to him ever again after this adventure, he at least wanted to know what she had been up to. That wasn't going to happen if he made his ultimatum now, no. He was going to have to slowly massage the situation to drift to his question. Despite the potential of knives being thrown, it may be best asked at dinner, simply for the fact it would be later in the evening and the pressure would be off to not have an answer until morning.

He was learning. Or trying to.

Stopper was removed from the whisky and he poured them both a decent amount, roughly two fingers worth. Neither one of them needed to get drunk and he had already started, not that the one beer had that much alcohol to cause too much damage. He turned to her again and motioned to the chair next to the small table.

"Please, Ellie, take a seat."

Makai purposely used her childhood nickname, a test to see if he would be corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom