Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The last steps of the journey can be the most telling.

Be careful what you wish for.
“The training is nothing! The will is everything! The will to act.” - Samurai Proverb

Standing out in the middle of the Wroshyr trees of the planet Kashyykk, Caltin meditated on the wills of the Force and the galaxy as a whole. It had been a few days since he and Jand had stood in front of the Temple on Coruscant. Their talk was enlightening, but a good reminder of just how alike the two of them were. Talo was in need of more growth and the potential he was emitting made him an unstoppable force(no pun intended).

The Nagai Padawan was ready, ability wise. There was something that the massive Jedi Master could not put his finger on that was holding him back until that day. It was a part of the reason as to why he called Jand out here today. Caltin did not believe in one on one training in a dojo, or a room, no. Training needed to come out here, in the field and granted the environment was controlled out here, it was still perfect for what he had planned.

The trials.

Would the trials occur here? Would they begin here? Would the two talk about them here? You are just going to wait and see as Caltin was never one to tell you about these sorts of things. There he stood, deep in his trance, or so he appeared to be, it was one of those things about him that drove others nuts. The big man always seemed to be on his guard so even if you think that he was not paying attention, you couldn’t help but wonder if he was. Jand was like this.

That was why they worked well together.

This was an important day in that journey though. Vanagor knew and had foreseen greatness in his Nagai Padawan. Not “greatness” in the “glory” or “adventure” sense, but that he would be a tremendous addition to the theater of Knights. There could be something to the notion that Talo might have been ready for Knighthood for some time now, but there is the truth that everyone moves at their own pace. The destination was not as important as the Journey.

So he waited.

TAG: Jand Talo Jand Talo

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer_new1.png

Kashyyyk.

Jand liked the Wookiee planet, he found it entirely different from most others he visited, and found a sense of peace amongst the kilometer-high forestry. While not typically someone to dwell on the more subtle nature of the Force, even the Padawan couldn't deny the underlying connection to nature and millions of living things, spread from treetop to canopy floor.

So when the summons by Master Vanagor had been made, it had unexpected but looked forward to.

Not being the first time Jand had been to the planet, he was able to navigate the tremendous flora paths much easier, more capably, and soon found his way to the meeting place. The large Jedi stood, waiting, though Jand knew better than to assume Caltin was unaware. The reason for the summons was unknown, Jand couldn't pretend to understand, as the Jedi Master's methods followed a specific development path that he, alone, understood and felt was important to maintain; and if the results of Jand's training were any indication, those methods worked, and as such the Nagai had no reason to question the process.

Jand rounded one of the natural walkways that circled a Wroshyr tree, which connected through intricate vines and natural elements, to create plateaus and jumped. He landed with a grunt nearer the Jedi Master. Unlike most times, Jand opted for a lighter attire, as he now wore the first layer of tunics and robes of his Jedi outfit, along with his belt and pouches and boots. The humidity of the forest was much too much for the thicker clothing.

"Master Vanagor," Jand said as he approached, his new lightsaber clipped to his belt. "It is pleasant to return to Kashyyyk. I hope I did not keep you waiting for long."

“The training is nothing! The will is everything! The will to act.” - Samurai Proverb

Slowly, as Jand approached, Caltin masked his aura. This seemed to be pointless as they were close to each other and in eyesight. However a moment or two later, suddenly, the massive Jedi Master’s head jerked over into view of his Padawan and all of the masks and walls were down. All and would sense was a white hot panic in his eyes and the mindset he would have if he were facing a Sith Lord in his thoughts.

You failed with Tython! Kashyyk will be no different!

Snap-Hiss

The frame, the look, all of it, it was indeed the massive Jedi Master, even the thoughts were of someone protecting his home. The look in his eye was something different, not entirely “there”, as Caltin stood there with his lightsaber down at his side, he glared.

Run now and I won’t chase you, but you will not take this planet.

A quick but powerful Force Push came out of his free hand in the motion of sending Jand backwards, but if the Nagai Padawan took to Caltin’s training, he would easily roll with it and recover to a standing position. When he did though, he would see the big man charging.
tag: Jand Talo Jand Talo

resonant-staff-hilt-lit-6.png

"Vanguard" (Secondary - Long Handle)
0cf9376e75158d86a4aaeac9fb408128.jpg

"CONSERVATOR" (Primary - Long Handle)
HK-88 Robes, Battle Armor,Toraynor-Henkan(mind crystal added) Advanced Jedi Utility Belt
Starship: Spectre, (NC-1000 X-wing (Jedi Variant) in the hangar, Dilorian, and Bike both in the cargo bay, the late Karki Eusith's Armor, Shield, Temple Guard Lightsaber mounted on the wall)
Sanctuary Island

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer_new1.png

The shift in the Jedi Master was sudden and unexpected, though noticed quickly.

When it came to the relationship of a mentor and student, over an extended period of time, changes of varying degrees could be as blatant as a light in the dark. In that moment, it seemed Master Vanagor had turned into some other individual, his manner and stare - one that Jand was very familiar with, for better or worse - not his own. There was also an underlying menace, something like tendrils in the back of the Padawan's mind...

"I do not know what has happened," Jand said, as he activated his own lightsaber mere seconds after Caltin. "But I do not know of what you speak."

The statement to run, about the planet, caused the Padawan to scowl. Frustration, confusion, perhaps agitation. The Jedi Master should have known well that Jand did not flee... but the underlying threat remained, one that could not be ignored, and had to be addressed.

"I will not run, and out of respect, I offer you this chance to stand down," Jand said in a low voice, as he watched the other, unsure if the situation would lead to blows. If it did, the Padawan wasn't certain about survival, but he had agreed to offer any opponent a chance to surrender. "I will defend myse--"

Suddenly Jand was hit with a Force push, one that sent him reeling and tumbling, and caused him to slide across the rough tree platform. With a growl, the Padawan rolled up and into a a crouch, as his boots found grip, and he looked back toward Caltin - but the Jedi Master was already upon Jand, charging, threat evident.

Fight or die.

"Very well. I hope you regain reason, before one of us dies."

Jand had trained with Caltin closely, the student understood the master's strengths and weaknesses - just as Caltin did for Jand. That didn't make the confrontation any easier, if anything it complicated things, because there would be second and third guessing. Still, with no recourse, Jand would engage, with the notion that - perhaps, after enough injury or shock - the Jedi Master would return to himself... but if not, well.

With a leap to the side, Jand aimed to sidestep the charge, as he aimed a slash for the Jedi Master's thigh.

Not a killing strike.

One aimed to injure, to jolt the mind, and hopefully the senses.

""

Charging, the massive “Jedi” Master did indeed miss Jand’s sidestep and he was indeed cut in the leg. The injury came on the leg he was landing on and Vanagor took a tumble himself. Getting up, the scowl on his own face was one of a fury he had not exhibited since he was a Jedi Knight. Slowly limping around and “walking it off”, the big man finally lifted his weapon and leveled it on the Padawan. His voice more a growl than a tone now.

Last… chance.. to… leave…

His free hand was starting to crackle with energy. The more he stood there, the more his leg was allowed to heal.

Don’t make me destroy you…

HK-88 Robes, Battle Armor,Toraynor-Henkan(mind crystal added) Advanced Jedi Utility Belt
Starship: Spectre, (NC-1000 X-wing (Jedi Variant) in the hangar, Dilorian, and Bike both in the cargo bay, the late Karki Eusith's Armor, Shield, Temple Guard Lightsaber mounted on the wall)
Sanctuary Island

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer_new1.png

Jand recalled how well the Jedi Master could heal, as the wound knitted together.

Still, even that didn't ease the tension or threat of the situation. There was more to this than the physical confrontation, more than simply standing ground and facing an opponent, even one more skilled and deadly. This also came down to Jand's convictions, the expectation to face challenge, to maintain his personal integrity, which resulted in his refusal to flee - though not out of ego or pride, but honor.

Jand would fight and he would likely die.

But he would die honorably.

"I do not doubt this fight is in your favor," Jand said in a low voice, gray eyes steely. He was resolute. "But that does not change my stance - I will not flee."

And with that, the Padawan readied himself for the onslaught that was to come, in the form of the electrical energy Master Vanagor began to charge, and considered how best he might defend against it. His effectiveness with a lightsaber against Force lightning had improved with training and experience, not to mention his Tutaminis ability had become more honed and developed...

"I will do what I must."

Jand lowered into a half-crouch, as he prepared to react.

Good!

Just like that, his lightsaber blade disengaged and everything that Jand knew him to be returned to the forefront. Vanagor was busy shaking his previously injured leg for a moment to get the blood flow into a normal pattern. Everything that was the massive Jedi Master a moment ago is nothing more than a blur in and of the past.

You have shown exactly what makes you now, and will make you in the future, a great Jedi.

Putting “Conservator” back over his shoulder and down the sheathe of his back, Caltin took a deep breath and looked around before waving over some training droids that seemed to show up out of nowhere. They each were carrying training sabers in each hand, holding one out for Jedi to grab should they wish.

It is important that while you will experience emotional periods from time to time, that they do not control you. You had no reason to believe that I was going to back down, I could see it in your eyes, but you stood your ground. Keeping an objective viewpoint is key when it comes to this.

Cracking his neck, Caltin hopped on the balls of his feet a couple of times.

Of course having some training not available to everyone helps too.

Sanctuary Island

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer_new1.png

Jand remained in place, poised for defense, as the Jedi Master visibly shifted before him.

A moment of consideration, blue lightsaber still active, before Master Vanagor's further explanation began to relax the Padawan somewhat. It seemed to be a test, the point to determine how Jand would respond, though the underlying suspicion at the menacing aura and inclination from the Jedi Master had the Padawan cautious. Yet, it seemed that the moment had passed, which caused Jand to deactivate his own weapon and resume a less combative stance.

"I did what I had to, yes," Jand said as he inclined his head. "I believe you should understand that I had every intention of stopping you from falling to a dark path. Even if I was not able to defeat you unharmed."

The danger of a dark side Master Vanagor did not sit well; that was a potential risk Jand felt obligated to try and stop, or at least slow or maim, at any cost. Any damage Jand might have done to help others bring a stop to the other using the Force for evil. There was no doubt in Jand's mind that he would die in combat, that was a given as a Nagai, but he liked to think that his death could have purpose.

"I am glad we see eye to eye on objective viewpoints... and your mention of training not available to others?"

Jand raised his eyebrows.

"Do you imply what I believe?"

I am aware, that was the point of this. I needed to see how far you could be pushed before breaking, and you did not break. Well done.

Nodding as he took a bottle of water seemingly out of thin air (but out of a well camouflaged cooler) and taking a few swigs he took a deep breath. Looking up and pointing out one of the magnificent aviaries Caltin smiled.

You were not given a choice, you had to protect yourself or potentially lose your life. I am impressed with but not at all surprised that you kept to your outlook and beliefs. You kept to your training and objectivity. A good friend of mine when I was still a Knight, his name was Kanan… he was never shy about his emotions but always managed to use them to his own advantage. He made mistakes, just as we all have, do and will, but he let those emotions help him get back up each time he was knocked down. I see a lot of him in you.

Hands on his hips at the question of training, he smiled.

Tell me what you know about Master Windu or Master Balq?

Listening to the answer, he nodded.

Now tell me what you know about “The Way of the Saber”.

Sanctuary Island

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer_new1.png

Jand was content that Master Vanagor understood; it was nothing personal, it was duty and responsibility.

As the other spoke, the Padawan walked over to the training droids and took one of the training lightsabers on offer. He could only assume there would be some kind of combat training, though remained uncertain as to what, exactly, would be tested. With the moment prior, which had assessed Jand's resolve, perhaps a physical application would be required next.

"Your friend, Kanan, sounds like a sentient I would have gotten to know," the Padawan said, as he nodded. "I have been taught to constrain and control my emotions, to process challenges presented to me logically and calmly. I manage to do that, most of the time, though in some engagements I have felt the control begin to crack... it is not easy for my to admit weakness, though as my mentor you are entitled to that knowledge."

Weakness in Nagai culture meant death.

"I am honored to remind you of Kanan. I hope I can do as he did, by being resilient and unrelenting in duty."

Jand circled back to stand before the Jedi Master, as the latter asked about Master Windu and Master Balq.

"Hmm."

Jand's eyes narrowed.

"They are Jedi Masters of old, centuries prior, who are the originators of the variation of lightsaber form seven, known as Vapaad. My studies at the Jedi Temple required some knowledge of the lightsaber forms, though admittedly I pursued more in depth knowledge on the topic than some others."

Jand inclined his head, as he considered, then added:

"It is said to be a dangerous form of combat, one that toes the line of the dark side, by relishing in the challenge of combat. Dangerous for Jedi, at any rate. I admit that, as a Nagai, the concept seems misplaced on me, and I have always enjoyed aspects of my combat experiences... why do you ask, Master Vanagor?"

I thank you for saying that, as while you may not understand your similarities, they are there. You both stand firm in your position, regardless of the potential adversity that may surround it or you. I’m proud of you for that.

Then as he listened to what the Nagai Padawan was retelling, he knew that there was a basic knowledge of their history, but not in what he was asking and that is okay.

You are correct in referring to training not available to others as what I was thinking about offering you is something I normally would not teach to a Padawan. I would not teach this to someone who is not an experienced Jedi Knight, but you have faced more adversity than most Jedi.

Pulling one of the training sabers to his hands and spinning it around in an impressive display, Caltin slipped into a JuYo, more importantly Vaapad offensive stance.

The Jedi are not just a group of warriors who wield lightsabers and use the Force. They are much more than that. They are the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy. They are the defenders of the weak and the voiceless. They are the ones who stand up against tyranny and oppression.
For centuries, the Jedi Order has been at the forefront of keeping the galaxy safe from harm. They have fought countless battles against the dark forces that seek to plunge the galaxy into darkness. They have stood up against Sith Lords, droids, and other threats to the galaxy.

But the Jedi's duty goes beyond just fighting battles. They are the ones who seek to bring balance to the Force. They are the ones who seek to uphold the values of justice and compassion. They are the ones who seek to unite the galaxy in a common cause.
The Jedi are not just warriors, they are also scholars and teachers. They have spent years studying the ways of the Force and the galaxy. They have dedicated themselves to understanding the complexities of the universe so that they may better serve it. They have also taken on the role of mentoring and teaching the next generation of Jedi, passing on their knowledge and wisdom.
But with great power comes great responsibility. The Jedi are not infallible. They have made mistakes, and they have faced great challenges. They have been forced to make difficult decisions that have sometimes led to tragedy. But despite these challenges, the Jedi remain committed to their duty to protect.
It is important that we recognize the invaluable role that the Jedi play in our galaxy. They are not just a group of warriors, but a beacon of hope for all who seek peace and justice. Their duty to protect is a sacred one, and one that they take very seriously.

While it is our duty to look for peaceful resolutions when and where possible, when there is no other choice, then there is no other choice. Which is why I believe that you are ready to learn that of Vaapad. This is a form that is highly effective against the Sith, but at the same time comes with the requirement of a lot of focus. The form is violent and will take a lot out of you mentally if you are not prepared for it.

Putting the weapon down to his side, Vanagor cocked his head to the side.

Which is why I also want to offer you an education on “The Way of the Saber” to balance that out.

Sanctuary Island

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer_new1.png

Jand listened as Master Vanagor explained both his reasoning for teaching the Padawan, and the complexity that was being a Jedi, to which the Nagai found he could agree with most of what was said. Parts seemed to conflict, though perhaps that was more relevant to the period of war-time that overshadowed the galaxy, where many Jedi were trained to be warriors. It was not the fault of the Jedi Order, per se, so much as it was necessary to avoid losing countless Jedi lives, had they not been trained to fight so readily.

"I take personal honor in protecting those too weak or unable to protect themselves," Jand reaffirmed, as he nodded at the end of Master Vanagor's explanation. "While I might not share each portion of what you mentioned as strongly as yourself, I do agree with most of your words. I will always protect others, utilizing both my way and the Jedi way I have merged... and while not perfect, it has allowed for a sense of unification of both beliefs to a greater extent than the clash of each, for me."

It was no secret that Jand had foundational basis in very non-Jedi ideals; though, fortunately, through guidance from his Master, and mentors, he had found a way to make that work.

Mostly.

Not perfect, but nothing is.

When Master Vanagor then spoke of Vapaad, Jand nodded slowly, as he realized that his skill would reach new levels.

"I thank you for the confidence you show in me, Master Vanagor," the Padawan said as he bowed his head, respectful, as he always tried to be. "And the Way of the Saber... I do not recall a specific instance where I saw Jedi records of that phrase, though I believe you have mentioned it in the past - before today. However, the holocron archives did have mention, though I have been unable to pursue it further since being assigned to the Maw-Alliance front."

Jand considered.

"The name implies combat teachings. Your mention of education implies you teach it. And how you said it would balance out Vapaad, without the Way of the Saber being listed as a fundamental lightsaber form, I can only guess that it is some kind of martial discipline to hone focus and the mind?"

That made sense to the Padawan, at least.

"I am curious to know more."

Vanagor didn’t need to hear his Padawan’s thoughts to know what Jand was thinking. It was nothing that he did not think of himself at some point in his life, it was why the two meshed as well as they did. He had to be careful though as those feelings were the type that could hold one back in any facet of life.

I would not expect you to be a complete clone of me. I want your individuality to stand out, but to take what I have to teach and adapt it to your life. If I wanted a clone, I would make one.

He smirked.

It is important to realize that while we should strive to be better than we were the previous day, none of us are infallible, nor will we have all the answers. Even “The Chosen One” was corrupted.

The look on Caltin’s face should tell Jand all that he needed to know about the reason for the reference. The big man was indeed in and of that time so it is logical to believe that he might know of and have been a colleague to the one who would become one of the most feared Sith in history, plunging the galaxy into darkness for a long time.

Now, the training that I am referring to is indeed that of Vaapad. Since I learned it from the forms creators, I had only taught one Jedi in the form. That was a mistake on my part that I had promised myself I would not make again and took to a more stringent approach in whom I taught. Certainly others had learned from outside sources, but I had an approach that meant something. Which is why I believe that you meet those criteria.

Putting away “Conservator”, as well as the training saber in his hand, Caltin pulled “Vanguard” out and ignited the “violet” side of the dual bladed saber and began swinging, spinning and twirling the weapon faster and faster while speaking.

Vaapad is violent to say the least, it requires focus and inner strength to keep that focus. Which is why I want to teach you “The Way of the Saber”, this is my form. My creation which I have been working on since the day I first built my own lightsaber.

Continuing into different moves and attacks, none of which were recognizable, Caltin kept his eyes on Jand. This was not a lack of trust or anything, but to show just how powerful this was.

This is not only a lightsaber form, but a fighting style that lends itself to different fighting styles and lightsaber forms. Its purpose is to take emotions completely out of the equation by making your moves and actions so fluid that you do not even need to think about them. Your weapon, your style will literally become an extension of yourself.

Tag: Jand Talo Jand Talo

Sanctuary Island

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer_new1.png

The understanding between mentor and student was what allowed Jand the freedom to function within that dynamic. His perspective as a Nagai had been taken into account, both were mutually respectful, and it had allowed Jand the opportunity to grow considerably as a Jedi. The Jedi Master had found a way for it to work, a method to deal with a strict cultural difference, all the while avoiding confrontation.

"We can only do the best we can do," Jand said lowly, as he listened. The chosen one was an old reference, though the point was understood. "And if we can avoid that fate, all the better."

Still, it was time to train. Jand listened as Master Vanagor began to outline his reasoning for the gathering, to the approach he maintained, the strict nature of his knowledge being passed along. It made sense, Vapaad was a potentially dangerous martial form, it held a close connection that toed the line of the dark side, it was not for just anybody to learn and utilize. Jand was thankful to be considered among those that could.

"I thank you for the confidence in my readiness," Jand said with a nod of the head.

When the Jedi Master moved and ignited the violet lightsaber blade, Jand focused and watched, his keen observation fully locked on the movements of the other. With each swing there was an increase in tempo, each slash merged into another attack, seemingly disconnected yet flowing in a unique manner. It almost seemed as though each movement could be connected at random, brought together by the unifying underlying style that was the Way of the Saber.

"I believe I can see it... the flow of it, not so much a combat kata, as an expansive range of options to move between at any given time," Jand tried to explain how it seemed to him, perhaps with some success, but he could see the underlying connection to every move the Jedi Master had displayed in the past. "Your form allows you to use more than Vapaad or other lightsaber forms...?"

Jand's sharp eyes caught a movement.

There.

"You can incorporate martial arts into your movements. Your weight distribution and footing allowed for a spinning kick just now, should you have wanted to employ it."

And while Jand wasn't able to know every move or attack or counter or block his mentor knew, there had been enough time spent fighting beside one another to learn and catalogue; and when the Jedi Padawan began to see the Way of the Saber as less a straightforward form, and more as a martial web with interconnecting options from a mixture of different forms, he could begin to see the purpose...

To which Jand activated the training lightsaber.

He started to move, slower than Master Vanagor, but mimicking the other Jedi's movements with increasing accuracy and pace.

Vanagor didn’t need to hear his Padawan’s thoughts to know what Jand was thinking. It was nothing that he did not think of himself at some point in his life, it was why the two meshed as well as they did. He had to be careful though as those feelings were the type that could hold one back in any facet of life.

Exactly. It’s like our conversation during the ceremony on Coruscant. Too many Jedi seem bent on sitting on the Council, or gaining some title. They are an honor to carry, make no mistake, but everyone has something to bring to the table in their own right. Every Jedi who takes their way of life seriously is important, and an asset to the Order, to the galaxy. It’s like something my Master once told me. “Cross the Bridge when you get to it. If you are only focused on the bridge, you will miss the surroundings of your trip.”

He smirked again, no real point in delving deeper into the subject. It was good to see that Jand was fully grasping the importance of what he was about to learn. Also understanding why Vanagor refused to teach this to just anyone, was a sign of the level of potential danger it brought.

It is important to realize that while my confidence in you is well founded, that you do not take it lightly. I will be by you in every step but this is a powerful form you are learning, even with the abilities of the Saber Kata. You can truly “thank me” by continuing what you are learning, and pass it on to the next generation in the proper manner.

As Jand began his own routine, Caltin quickly was picking up on how well the Nagai understood everything, both physically and verbally.

Now you are seeing this for the beauty that it is. There is no specificity to it, other than how it adapts you to your own skills. This works with any and every form, I made sure of that and fits into different martial arts indeed. There is a reason why it took me so long to put it together. In other training sessions, you have to adapt to the skill, in this, the skill adapts to you. It becomes so routine that emotion slowly comes out of the equation.

Sanctuary Island

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer_new1.png

The words were wise, Jand listened and absorbed what was said.

There were merits to Jedi of all kinds in the Jedi Order, that was true, as a versatile member base could provide more for greater numbers. Everyone had their role, really, when it came to the Jedi. For Jand, his purpose was equal parts blade and shield; he understood his usefulness as a combatant, he was content to fulfill that role, and he would - likely - continue on to train others in a similar fashion. And that was perfectly fine for Jand, he knew where he was helpful, how he could help, and what to do to help.

When Master Vanagor outlined his expectations for the lessons, Jand nodded.

"I understand, I will train selectively and critically, to those that display the proper manner," the Padawan said as he fell into a striking and spinning rhythm, his natural dexterity allowing for quick twists and flips. "And I will do my utmost to be as careful with my decision to pass your teachings on. Though I suspect that will not be for many years."

Jand began to use some of the attacks he observed. His blue blade sizzled through the air, as he felt a rush of Force power through his body, then he changed angle and slashed with a growl of plasma energy, his body once again topped with a momentary sensation of Force power. He immediately understood the danger of Vapaad, how it skirted dangerously close to the dark side... and for Jand, it seemed to enact some burst of energy, like a ray of sun through the shadows with each attack, urging him to strike, strike, strike.

"I can feel it."

The Padawan paused, suddenly mentally very tired, as he fought to push back the sensation. Temptation had been something Jand tended to avoid, he wanted for very little, though it seemed Vapaad - or, more accurately, the dark side that shadowed the lightsaber form - wanted to exploit his want to exceed in combat; and it had sought out that instinctive drive for the young Nagai, already promising untold power with the lightsaber, if he just...

Took.

That.

Step.

"I can already feel the draw of the darker side of this lightsaber form," Jand muttered, as he looked to Master Vanagor. "It wants me to enjoy using it... I believe I have a better initial understanding now, one I will be mindful of with training."

Caltin could see the struggle in Jand’s eyes at the moment. The way he was literally fighting himself the more he continued to learn the skill. It was telling of his personal strength and it made the big man proud that the Nagai could see what was going on so soon. Now it was time to show him the other side of it.

Now you understand why this is a difficult skill to teach. Not in the academics of it, but the draw. My preferred form is Soresu, but I was more drawn to Djem So when I learned the form. I was more proficient in it because of the offensive strength. When I was attempting to learn Vaapad, my instructor… he made me re-learn every form and variant first before he would even consider me as a student. I needed to learn just what it could do. I took to Vaapad even more than I did Djem So, which was all the more reason for me to work on something to take the “draw” out of the equation.

Now, Caltin began to move in, of and around the motions fluidly moving between attacks and angles he slowly began to change in his features. On the outside, one would think that he was losing focus, and on some level that may be an astute observation, but he was going into such a routine that he was not “trying”, he was just “doing”. This was the result of his failure in the last person to whom he taught Vaapad to, Jax Thio Jax Thio . The Jedi Maverick, or Hobo, or whatever he is now… he was not ready for it. No knock against him, he was just not ready to handle the power of the form.

That was Caltin’s failure in not preparing him. He would fail no one else.

It is important to remember why a Jedi goes into battle with a clear mind, to be able to counter these feelings and to do so without letting our emotions control us. The way of the Saber simply adds to that.

He had faith in the Padawan, but Jand needed to continue to learn and evolve knowing the entire truth.

Sanctuary Island

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer_new1.png

One aspect of being a Jedi, which Jand was appreciative of, was the inclusion of lightsaber forms. With his Nagai upbringing, with the focus on blades and combat, it had been a sure fit for the young warrior to adapt and excel. That understanding from such a young age had translated well into understanding lightsaber combat, with some - arguably - minor differences and variances, and had allowed Jand to learn quick and effectively under the mentorship of Jedi Masters and Master Vanagor.

"As you know, I have an inclination toward Ataru, as it supports my natural speed and dexterity," Jand said, as he moved to begin channeling Vapaad once again, his lips a tight line with concentration as he spoke. "However, since becoming your student, and improving on my physicality and strength, I have also grown to utilize Djem So. With the galaxy being in a state of war, against the Brotherhood of the Maw, the application for lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat has been imperative."

There were other strengths to the form, as well, but Jand felt the large Jedi needed no explanation.

"I feel it is time to present my intentions for the future, Master Vanagor. I aim to assume the role as Sword of the Jedi, to take over from Master Valery in the coming years, and to master all forms of lightsaber combat. I do not expect this development to be quick, nor do I anticipate earning the position as Sword quickly, but I do intend to become one of the Jedi Orders most accomplished lightsaber combatants."

A surge of power flowed through Jand, as he swiped rapidly, left-to-right.

"It seems right, given my aptitude and abilities, and being your Padawan as allowed me to focus on my own goals for the future. So, for that, I do thank you."

Jand's blade had become a blur, as he moved between strikes and pivots, with each swing causing an overflow of Force energy within him.

Yet, he remained focused, determined to control the surge of adrenaline and power.

"I look forward to continuing to learn from you."

Another series of strikes, a near-overwhelming saturation of dark influence, and Jand had to stop once again; and it seemed that Vapaad would be an incremental lesson to learn, one that demanded brief moments to refocus and recenter, yet that wouldn't dissuade the Padawan in the slightest.

Nothing done right was ever done quickly.

Now, I get it, Master Windu.

He never really questioned why he had to re-learn each form before moving on to learning Vaapad. He had just done so. That being said, to believe that he did not recall the directive given would be folly. Caltin did indeed wonder the hidden purpose of why he reviewed the skills of the blade, many of which he had already known. Sure, the big man had learned much of the reasoning behind each form that he had not before but there was some level of curiosity that was missing. Now though, in seeing, and hearing Jand’s talk of the future, and his flushed features, there was more clarity to it all.

He failed Jax Thio Jax Thio in not ensuring his readiness. He would not fail Jand Talo Jand Talo .

That’s good to hear, my friend. So with that said. Let’s take a break from Vaapad and focus more on the Kata, focusing on interlacing it into the other forms. After all, there is and will always be someone better. So, what I want you to do is practice as I am about to show you and narrate each form just as if you were teaching me.

Showing Jand what he had meant, Caltin began to utilize and overlap martial arts and physicality with the first form. Then after a few moments, he began to utilize the second, then the third, and so on. This was not an action of hubris, there was a point to it, as each move that Caltin utilized was defensive.

Again though, It is important to remember why a Jedi goes into battle with a clear mind, to be able to counter these feelings and to do so without letting our emotions control us. It is good to have goals, but it is important to understand why you have them. Are you looking to become “The Sword of the Jedi” for the good of the Order, or for yourself? I once had this thought myself. I was so concerned about learning everything that I could that I believed it was my actions that made a difference when it was just my presence.

Walking over and putting a hand on the Nagai’s shoulder.

Make no mistake, Jand, I feel that you would be a fantastic representative, but remember… “if you are not enough without it, you’ll never be enough with it.”

Sanctuary Island

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ
jand_spacer_new1.png

Vapaad was taxing, so there was some relief for Jand, when the training shifted.

That wasn't to say the Padawan wanted to stop learning, just that a break was valid, and the focus on fundamental form use was a good breather. And as Master Vanagor asked for the explanation of the forms, as he began to move between them using his Way of the Saber, Jand observed and began to speak as he joined in with the form kata:

"Form one, known as Shii-Cho, it is the fundamental of all forms and is the first taught to all Jedi. It is also used as a fallback, if other forms fail."

Jand saw the transition, as he shifted with Master Vanagor.

"Form two, known as Makashi, it is a graceful form with a focus on dueling and precision, it can be considered elegant."

Another shift in form, though Jand's skill with Form III wasn't as apt.

"Form three, known as Soresu, is the defensive form, was developed with the increased blaster use throughout the galaxy. A skilled user can maintain defense indefinitely, against blasters and lightsabers, though the form tends to lack attack viability by itself."

Then another shift, as Jand matched the change.

"Form four, known as Ataru, is a physically acrobatic and demanding style. A more aggressive form, it has a focus on combat, and using the Force to enhance movement, speed and agility. This is a form I am very apt with."

Another transition to a new form, as Jand matched the movements.

"Form five, known as Djem So, is a form known for blending forms three and four, and creating a more rounded style. It has emphasis on blocks and parries, before using counterattacks and ripostes, with a focus on lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat. There is a variation called Shien, which favors reverse grip use. This has become my primary form, to date."

Then Jand switched into the next form, as he joined Master Vanagor in movements.

"Form six, known as Niman, is a form that balances previous forms, though lacks any particular strength of those forms. It allows a focus on double-bladed lightsabers, as well as use of the Force while in combat in a natural and effective manner. Less physically demanding, this style relies more on the Force and defense."

Finally, Jand adjusted and entered the last form with his movements.

"Form seven, known as Juyo, is a highly aggressive form that toes the dark side, and requires the user to maintain focus and calm while channeling negative emotions with use. A complex and potentially dangerous style, especially to Jedi, it was banned from use within the Jedi Order in the past... until Master Windu refined and developed a newer style, known as Vapaad, which lessened the potential of corruption through more focus on willpower and self-control."

Jand completed a flourish of his blade, then paused in a resting stance, as he glanced to Master Vanagor.

"The pursuit of combat mastery has never been the focus of the Jedi Order, though the instability and consistent wars throughout many eras have warranted the practice. In all things, a Jedi must remain in control, calm, and able to perform the duty of peacekeeping and protection and to oppose the dark side whenever necessary, in as justifiable a manner as possible within Jedi philosophy."

When Jand felt Master Vanagor's hand on his shoulder, the Padawan turned and added:

"And my reasoning stems from both of those, you mentioned. My path has me moving toward combat speciality, with my own views being firmly placed in protection of the innocent and weak, and by extension that development and focus can further support the Jedi Order in times of crisis. And by being pragmatic about the passage of time, everyone ages and focuses change, I am ensuring that my goal aligns with providing the Jedi a potential choice as Sword of the Jedi, should it be needed... I feel it is more beneficial to have a member who is prepared for the duty, than one who is uncertain and potentially taken off their own path."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom