Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The Farmer in the Dell

R'Ruug didn't smile when Valery affirmed that he could come along. He was too sad to be happy. But he did nod, and moved to stand behind the Master, as if using her body as a barrier between himself and Olivant.

The old rancher didn't move to take the credit chip. "I don't take hand-outs, Master Jedi. Especially when you're trying to..." '...Steal my assets from me', he didn't say. He turned a false smile on the Whiphid, the severity of his eyes still apparent. "Boy, you don't want to be a Jedi. You'll die the second they drop you on a battlefield. Hell, you'll die the second they put a laser-sword in your hand. Wouldn't you rather stay? We need someone to watch the new herd. I'll pay you double what you're earning now."

R'Ruug wrung his hands together. He'd lived a long time following Olivant's orders unquestioningly. His first instinct was to listen, to agree. But then he looked out to the field. Towards Barta.

She was his source of strength, one last time.

"No. I want to go."

Olivant dropped his pleasant façade immediately, his face becoming scorned. Cruel. "Then, Master Noble, don't let the Order send him back when you realize he's a half-wit." He turned his wrath on R'Ruug. "Your loyalty was your only redeeming quality, and without that, we don't want you. Nobody will."

R'Ruug looked burnt. Wounded. He lowered his head in shame. "Miss Noble? I would like to leave now."

- Valery Noble Valery Noble -

Olivant Ranch
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link | Wedding Ring
Appearance: Link
Ship: Link
Weapons:
Blasters | Lightsaber
Tag: R'Ruug R'Ruug

"I do want him," Valery said, knowing that it didn't really change anything about what was going to happen next. She just wanted R'ruug to know that the Jedi did welcome him, and that she wasn't ever going to make him feel the way Mr. Olivant had. He wouldn't be held down and constantly reminded that he was lucky to even be where he was.

Those times were over.

Valery then turned around to place a comforting hand on R'ruuh's shoulder, which required her to reach up a fair bit, and nudged him alone. She didn't even look at the others anymore, and focused just on getting him out. "Everything will be alright, R'ruug," Valery tried to assure him.

"Things are going to be better now. Both for you, and for the friends you make."

"I do want him."

R'Ruug dared to feel a little reassured, dared to hope that he wasn't making the worst mistake of his life. Because if Miss Noble was wrong, and they didn't want him... he had nowhere to go.

Valery nudged him along, and along he went, turning bunched shoulders to walk away. Each step felt like a league's distance away. Her words were soothing, but distant. "Thank you, Miss Noble," he said, his voice soft and unsure.

"You've known him for a day, Master Jedi." Olivant's tone took on a decidedly mocking edge. He didn't like being ignored. "And you've got him all figured out, I'm sure. He's gonna die out there, and it'll be because of you." Olivant turned back to his boys, beginning to direct them around. R'Ruug just... walked, head low, hands picking at each other.

His head was empty, scared into stillness, save for one persistent gnat of a thought.

"What if... I cannot be a Jedi?"

Last edited:

Olivant Ranch
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link | Wedding Ring
Appearance: Link
Ship: Link
Weapons:
Blasters | Lightsaber
Tag: R'Ruug R'Ruug

"Because of me, you're still breathing, Mr. Olivant," Valery said with an awfully cold voice all of a sudden. "Don't forget that, because you're the type of person who is going to rely on R'ruug here, rather than the other way around." She looked over her shoulder and offered a sweet, innocent smile, before turning back around to walk R'ruuh back to her ship. She didn't want to waste anymore of her breath on the ranch owner than she already had.

He wasn't worth the energy or the trouble.

While they walked, Valery occasionally glanced at the Whiphid, hoping that the distance to the awful man would make him feel more at ease. But it seemed something was still gnawing on him, and he finally voiced that question when he was sure that they were alone.

"You've already shown that you can be a Jedi. You went out there, knowing the risk, and helped defend people who have never once treated you well. It takes the heart of a Jedi to be able to do that, and it's not something that can really be taught." She smiled a little again and tapped a button on her wristguard to lower the ramp of her ship.

"With a little bit of training, you'll be a great Jedi. I promise," she said with a most sincere tone.

It was Olivant's turn to ignore Valery, the rude smirk on the corner of his mouth evident as he directed his sons to start clearing debris.

R'Ruug didn't look back, either. The tall farmer continued his trek towards Valery's ship, mouth set in a hard line, his golden eyes hidden under nearly-closed eyelids. They got close enough for the ramp to lower, and for R'Ruug to ask his question. Valery's answer gave him pause. Had he been brave? Had Olivant never treated him well? He... didn't know.

But to be fair, R'Ruug didn't know a lot of things.

"With a little bit of training, you'll be a great Jedi. I promise,"

R'Ruug gripped his shepherd's crook a little tighter. Forced himself to look back at the ranch, cratered and burning as it was. He stared for a long, wistful moment at the acres of land that had been his home nearly as long as he could remember. The most important moments of his life, the first friends he had made...

He had to leave it all behind.

"...Okay," he responded finally, stealing one last moment, before taking his first steps into a new life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom