Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction The Beating Heart | Succession on Alderaan {GA, Alderaanians & Guests}

Q1C3xHp.png

| Location | Alderaan
| Objective | Now this is politics!

This was not what Jenn had expected, in truth - for the better. No, this... was very, very far from boring. House Ulgo, she quickly dismissed as puppets to the Trade Federation, a collective she would certainly shed no tears for if they were to be driven out. But Alicio's verbal sparring with Osiris was simply captivating, particularly to a Mandalorian! Alicio had her respect, to be sure, and she knew his intent to be true from their previous interaction, but the pretender to the crown from House Thul made some valid argument as well - so much so that she could not quite stop herself from wondering if he was right. And yet, just as he mentioned the ever-important matter of the planet's military and the thought crossed her mind, the good Duke completely flipped the situation. Oh, but the way he spoke, his voice calm and collected as he announced how he had been working to reinvigorate Alderaan's defence force, completely pulling the rug from under his rival! It claimed a grin from the Alor, very much awed by the fine display given by the King-to-be. And that grin! Perfectly calculated to infuriate the opposition, no doubt

"Of all the people he could have gone to, a Mandalorian", spoke the siren, visibly struggling not to outright laugh and bring attention to herself, her hand resting against her mouth. Although she had never quite met the man herself, Noah Corek was a name she was familiar with. A truly hardened veteran, worthy of her respect and consideration - much like Alicio himself was, in truth. No wonder that the two had partnered up for this venture. Turning her gaze to the Senator at her side, she knew that any eyes directed her way would see how triumphantly she preened, and she could not care one bit.

"Well. It seems the topic of military support is moot, then, given this... surprising venture of his. I swear, that man just won't let himself get outmaneuvered. Not that his wife is lacking in that department as well- did you see how she swung back at that ridiculous talk of ancestral legitimacy?"

Judging by the grin on her face, the Mandalorian was very much enjoying herself. Watching two of the greatest people she knew proving themselves was turning out to be more than merely a display of solidarity on her part, or the beginning of an attempt at networking for her Clan-

No, it was just plain fun.

Succession-Banner.jpg
white.png
"Oh, I'm not actually flirting. But it'll look that way to anyone paying attention, even if it looks like I'm crashing and burning."

"I see," Maeve replied, understanding his game. "Clever thinking. If anyone was to see just how poor you are at flirting, the secondhand embarrassment would be too much for them to stare. A perfect cover. Perhaps you do know what you're doing."

Maeve shot him a smile. The look on her face said she was only teasing, but her tone seemed to imply otherwise. She left it to him to decide.

"I'd recommend next time, though, you find someone else to practice your charm on. Might I suggest the Kryze?" She nodded to the cloaked woman on the other side of the room. Then again, chances were the Mandalorian would've sooner folded Drake up like a pretzel than let that happen, but who was Maeve to get in the way of true love?

She snorted at his last retort. He got her there. For all her half-jokes and insults, he read her just as easily and proved just how much of a hypocrite she could be.

"I'll give you that," Maeve told him. "Eavesdropping is a part of my trade. Of course, so is hand-to-hand combat, so maybe it would be better if you didn't get on my nerves."

She opened one hand and suddenly, with a tug of the Force, the flask Drake had tucked away into his suit jacket would fly out in an eye-blink, caught by her fingers before any guests could notice. She shook the flask at him like a chiding mother.

"Better if you didn't drink on the job either, hm?"

"Oh, please call me Dells. There's no reason for formality, its just us girls talking."

Taking a sip of wine, she reflected on the question posed to her. Having been a position of power, granted it was military and not political, it was easy to see how those who stayed in the game long term could be corrupted.

Hell,look at your local department store management team if one wanted to see some real dynamics of corrupted power.

"Both, actually. Those who are trying to work themselves somewhere higher, willing to step on those below them. The other do-gooders are so intent making a difference when reality sets in and they get disillusioned..."

Wine glass swirled as she trailed off, indicating the do-gooders would be on the same path of greed and power.

"What about you, Miss von Ascania? Why are you here? To people watch or gain a small trinket of power for yourself?"

A pause.

"Mistress to a politician? You seem too young for such a thing, but thats how these old skeevs like them.... Do yourself a favor, use him and run."

A small smile towards the woman.

"Just a small piece of unsolicited life advice, I apologize."

Duke Thul's eyes narrowed in quiet resentment. Emotions roiled through him like a storm at sea, powerful and dangerous. He could control them. Control the frustration and anger. Mold them. Bend them to his will just like the journals of his great great grandfather described. Osiris could use it all for good. Keep Alderaan safe even from itself.

"House Thul is not without its own resources," the duke didn't even deign to make eye contact with Ulgo's Trade Federation representative, "This isn't the time to haggle over credits. If any threat is posed to the common folk's standard of living due to mismanagement, we shall make investments in Alderaan's future to offset these costs."

He stared at Alicio, sensing some energy exchanged between husband and wife yet ignorant to what purpose. Osiris dismissed the neimodian's concerns harshly to cover his ire at maneuvering worthy of those corrupt snakes in the Senate. His aura of preternatural calm reasserted itself. Sometimes the only way to win was to make sure you didn't lose.

"It would seem that I may have...underestimated your resolve Duke Alicio," Thul spoke slowly as if choosing his words with great care, "Provided certain conditions are met, my family might be willing to support House Organa's claim."

Both men knew what a powerful offer Osiris was making. Enough houses were likely to support Faith's chosen heir over the alternatives but with House Thul's support his nomination to the throne would be overwhelming.

Succession-Banner.jpg

THE BEATING HEART

white.png

Alicio Organa Alicio Organa Osiris Thul Osiris Thul [Directly]
Everyone Else [Indirectly]
Duke-Ransik-Ulgo.png

The Trade Federation's Minister was desperately attempting to prevent Ransik Ulgo from addressing the assembly due to his unpredictable behavior. This was done to avoid the lesser vassal houses from rallying behind the House of Organa instead of the House of Ulgo.

However, this plan was not going according to the Minister's expectations, as the House of Ulgo was perceived as a mere puppet for the Federation, rather than a respected Great House. Now, it was up to the Duke to demonstrate whether he was a reliable ally or a gullible pawn.

"So you can manage a bank account...how uprising - Duke Organa. I will question the wisdom of hiring outside contractors to supplement our planetary defense forces. Surely such funds could be utilized better on the home industries, one's whose loyalties could not be questioned to Alderaan and its Sovereign People." The Duke of Ulgo couldn't help but admire the progressive mindset of House Thul and House Organa, but he astutely identified a flaw in their reasoning that he could capitalize on.

The notion that a prospective King of Alderaan would turn to external aid instead of supporting the local Alderaanian Industries throughout their planet revealed a clear conflict of interest - a vulnerability that the public would surely notice.

"It should surely be left to the People of Alderaan to decide if they want to take up arms against other planets or even fund an army. If the future 'King'
deprives the people of their voice in this important matter, then you are no better than a tyrant." Ransik Ulgo said with arms crossed - glancing at both Alicio Organa Alicio Organa and Osiris Thul Osiris Thul .

The House of Ulgo might not have been politically savoy but they could use underhand
tactics to achieve victory. He wanted to frame himself as a People's King that would allow them to vote on all matters of state.

Last edited:

Commodore Helix

Disintegrations done dirt cheap.

"If I may." Said Helix, speaking up for the first time since the meeting had started. His rumbling electronic baritone echoed easily across the room, and he adjusted its volume and timbre in just such a manner as to grab attention. "It is for this very purpose that I attended. If Alderaan is concerned with security, I can of course provide."

"My military resources are... considerable, to put it mildly, and I just so happen to be in the business of offering such services as you need."

"I understand you already have contracted arms and armor, a good use of taxpayer credits. One cannot be too careful, especially in these uncertain times. Can one truly put a price on safety? Experience demands that I argue 'no'. I am old. Very old. I have seen war in all its forms, and was waging it when your lovely city was young. Such remarkable places tend to suffer the most when war comes calling. As such, should the wise Organas... or Ulgos... or Thuls, for that matter, decide on a little extra military insurance, I would like to respectfully offer my own support."

"I am not a politician, good sirs and madams, only a simple businessman, and a foreigner to Alderaan. As such, I won't pretend to understand the complexity of your situation." He lied smoothly, then continued. "Nor will I speak for one candidate or another. That offer remains open regardless of who takes the throne, though at the risk of hamstringing my own business interests after all I've said, the good Duke Ulgo does make an insightful point, one that I happen to be in complete agreement with." His red-eyed gaze flickered over to the outspoken nobleman, latching onto him as the most likely to be susceptible to flattery and support. He was playing a bit of a risky game here, but fear, greed, and good old humanoid shortsightedness were something he could always rely on.

"Perhaps it should be up to the people to decide. I believe a strong military is the key to safety, but then, it is not up to me, is it?" He placed his dataslate down with a click. "Though, should the people wisely decide to prioritize their own safety in a dangerous galaxy, you know where to find me. If not, then I wish you the best, and of course, am happy to be of assistance in any other way I might do so. I have advised governments before, many times over the course of the past half-dozen centuries or so, and perhaps can be of use in some other fashion. I'm confident you'll make the right decision."

"Isn't Noah Corek a sex pest?" Tiamat whispered.

"What?!" Inanna wheezed.

"I heard a rumor. He's got like, six wives or something..."

Enkidu shushed them, hopefully putting an end to their side chatter. The discussion seemed to take a turn for the silly every time the old guy opened his mouth anyway, and even Alicio was getting tired of it. Inanna cheesed him, as if to say isn't this funny, before she caught Amani looking at her with a pained expression. The Duchess had been noticeably ignored by the other nobles at the table. Inanna shot her a sympathetic glance.

It looked like House Organa was going to make a bid for the throne after all. House Thul was the only one who seemed worthy of competition, but he surprised Inanna by offering his support instead. Ulgo was still trying, bless him, but they all knew it would be no contest.

What's the proper way to address a king? she idly wondered. Count was "Your Excellency", Duke was "Your Grace"... King is "Your Majesty". Alicio didn't look especially majestic today in his blacks and blues, but his wife was already wearing chalcedony like the Queen she was.

Succession-Banner.jpg

Aldera, Alderaan
Ballroom of the Royal Palace
- Amani Serys Amani Serys - Osiris Thul Osiris Thul - Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin - ALL -
"So you can manage a bank account...how uprising - Duke Organa. I will question the wisdom of hiring outside contractors to supplement our planetary defense forces. Surely such funds could be utilized better on the home industries, one's whose loyalties could not be questioned to Alderaan and its Sovereign People."

Alicio blinked once again, processing Ransik's protestation, and waiting for him to finish his implicative talk that Alicio would be a tyrant-king, before responding. "Hekler'Kok is based on Alderaan." He took an exasperated breath through his nose. "And Mr. Corek has had his Alderaanian citizenship for many years."

"On your thoughts of a vote, on whether to keep our defense force back, or use it to assist the people of the galaxy... I agree. If you listen, you may find the voice of the people in favor of helping those in need."

In recent years, Alderaan's cultural zeitgeist had revolved around charity, assisting others less fortunate than themself. If Alicio had to guess, any vote to defend worlds in the warpath, backed by a senator that had represented them well for many years, would succeed with flying colors.

Commodore Helix Commodore Helix 's speech in the middle of Alderaan's succession crisis was met by silence from the Duke. He looked at the tactical droid, a dry cold to his words. "If you wish to discuss business after this meeting, you may, but this isn't the time or the place to advertise." It was especially... interesting that the droid chose the candidate who'd just argued against off-world military interference as the focus of his attention.

Alicio tried to keep the grateful smile from his face as Amani offered her silent support, if only to give a bit of subtlety to their secret conversation. He would've abandoned it all, had she said the word. But her backing was all Alicio needed. He took a breath in, to make the official claim.

But then, he stopped. Osiris was speaking now. Alicio ticked his head to the side as he listened to the Thul representative, surprise lighting his eyes for only a second before settling into calm once more. House Thul's support would nearly unite the people, likely avoiding a crisis altogether. It was valuable, and it was obvious Osiris knew it to. The Count crossed his arms, his focus sharpening wickedly.

"Conditions?" Then, he locked eyes, not with Ransik, but with Minister Grimmin, and silently made the same offer. Alicio had heard Ransik's... bombastic declaration of force. Without the Trade Federation's support, though, Ransik's warmongering would have it's legs swept from under it.

Succession-Banner.jpg

Damian Du Couteau, Senator of Empress Teta
Outfit

JiGZUcY.png

Damian felt himself relax into his chair, the conversations between the Houses of Alderaan were seemingly well under the Duke’s control. You can’t orchestrate politics, but you can anticipate. The young Du Couteau nodded in approval of the Duke and Duchess’ ability to calculate and address the unknown variables. Just like in dueling you want to see the swords come in slow, so you want to see these questions come in slow as well. He kept his neutral expression as he listened to the responses of both Noble Ulgo and Thul.

“An impressive riposte and advance,” Damian agreed with Alor Kryze, her enthusiasm was contagious that a ghost of a smile tugged at the corners of his lips. His arms relaxed into his lap as he watched with interest at how Duke Alicio handled the interruption of a droid, a well-spoken droid,
Sounds as if they’re a representative of someone else. "-and do not sell yourself short, I'm positive your support will not go unappreciated."

He turned his head to face the Alor sitting next to him, “Becoming irreverent is a Noble’s worst nightmare; forgotten, powerless. . . the silver spoon in our mouths turning into bronze instead of gold.” Damian commentated, Noble Ulgo clearly was here because of his family name’s historical importance and would no doubt remind everyone until his final days. It's always a pleasant sight to see when Nobles rise above their own ego like the Duke here.

Damian returned his attention to the Duke, the man appeared ready to finish the discussion and move the night along. Another moment to be addressed within the history books of Alderaan, but it was just simply that, a single moment. Damian knew that House Organa were looking ahead; the moments that come after, the moments of happiness and peace for their people, the moments in the future where they can relax and enjoy the bright future they’ve made together. A future that Damian hoped to not only see but help build for all the Alliance.

“Maybe my sister was right, these Noble proceedings do take far too long.” Damian muttered silently.

Vy2NTqS.png

|| Jenn Kryze Jenn Kryze ||​

"Conditions?"

Osiris raised both hands in a conciliatory gesture.

"Nothing so nefarious," the duke smirked, "You told me before all this began that Alderaan must look not just to our past but the future."

Not in so many words but still a fair assessment of Organa's objection to being defined solely based on tradition. He could almost see the ghost of his father standing in Alicio's shadow, so consumed with enmity that Duke Horis could never see the bigger picture. Surrendering his own claim felt like an act of ultimate betrayal. Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.

"Our defense force should reflect that duality," Thul's gaze swept across the gathered nobles, "Let the people vote on this exciting new initiative by all means but do not forget our history. Reforge the Knights of Alderaan, Duke Alicio. It would be a mighty symbol that the houses are willing to defend this Alliance with the blood of our bravest sons and daughters or any true soul who proves themself worthy to take the oath."

He braced himself for the outside corporate interests to object at additional costs even while they peddled foreign wares, but the Knights' feudal origins meant the houses could largely finance their own bannermen. Like ancient shock troops fighting alongside men-at-arms now trained in modern mandalorian tactics.

"My only other stipulation is that you remember this moment when House Thul set aside personal ambition for the good of Alderaan. I am placing my trust in you to keep us all safe, and my continued support is contingent upon your resolve."

That was a fancy way of saying do a good job or else.

Last edited:

It seemed Alicio had gotten through to some of his doubters. House Thul, in particular. No small accomplishment. Ulgo would remain stubborn, it seemed, but you couldn't please everybody. Thul's support alone would solidify the Organa claim, and avoid further strife. Amani gave Osiris a grateful look for his sensibility, then turned to Alicio with a more proudly gaze.

They were moving up from mere nobility to full-on royalty. Others might have found the prospect more exciting in their shoes. To Amani, it was a duty, one that she was hesitant to accept, but understood the necessity of. She couldn't help but muse on the twists and turns her life had taken, leading her up to this point. Even still, the prospect of queenship over an entire planet had yet to fully hit her. Something to inevitably fret over once the niceties were done.

Succession-Banner.jpg

THE BEATING HEART

white.png

Alicio Organa Alicio Organa Osiris Thul Osiris Thul [Directly]
Everyone Else [Indirectly]
Duke-Ransik-Ulgo.png

The Trade Federation's risky move to place a puppet king on Alderaan seemed destined to fail when House Thul pledged their support, potentially rallying the other vassal houses behind House Organa as the ruling royal family. This lose-lose scenario didn't sit well with the Federation's Minister, who exchanged a tense gaze with Ransik Ulgo.

The Duke failed to show his loyalty as a trustworthy ally, dwelling on outdated traditions and stories of Alderaan's history rather than focusing on the present and future. Alderaan had evolved from its peaceful ways during the Clone Wars and Galactic Civil War, now displaying a strong resolve. It was evident that they were prepared to assemble a powerful army, thwarting any attempts of a House Ulgo Coup.

If the Federation sent supplies and troops to House Ulgo - then perhaps they could manage to take the royal capital without much difficulty but the armies of the Galactic Alliance would no doubt arrive to reinstate the rightful monarchy. Such plan was discarded as the Minister shared a glance with Alicio Organa Alicio Organa as they communicated almost non-verbally, it would seem that the Senator would be willing to give considerable concessions to the Federation if they withdrew their support from Ransik.

"It seemed you have been outmatched, Duke Ulgo. This Deal is not longer profitable." The Minister explained leaning over to the Duke of Ulgo, whose face twisted and turned in anger before kicking the stone chair away from
him as it slammed into the nearby steps.

"You will pay for such double cross, Minister. I swear it!" The voice of Duke Ulgo rang out amongst the crowd - before moving towards the entrance door of the assembly, stepping past with a
huff. The rest of the Great House moved behind him, no doubt preparing for the coup to come although without the support of the Trade Federation of Planets.

"We will
congratulate you on your accession, Your Majesties. Know that the Trade Federation of Planets will expect some concessions for our unique viewpoints at the assembly." The Minister said to both Alicio Organa Alicio Organa and Amani Serys Amani Serys offering a small bow to both of them, although reminding them that the withdraw of the Trade Federation of Planets did not come cheaply to the newly crowned Monarchy.

Just like that, the whole house of cards fell. Suddenly House Thul was in support of the Organas, and even Minister Grimmin switched sides, abandoning the crazy old man. The majority had ruled.

“You always had our support,” Enkidu said, speaking on behalf of the Shi’ido refugee city. “For what it's worth to the members of this assembly, Maranatha is for House Organa.”

Inanna gave Alicio and Amani—the future King and Queen of Alderaan—a golden-eyed wink.

Succession-Banner.jpg

Aldera, Alderaan
Ballroom of the Royal Palace
- Amani Serys Amani Serys - Osiris Thul Osiris Thul - Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin - Inanna Harth Inanna Harth - ALL -

Alicio gave Osiris his full attention as he laid out his terms, obviously trying to pierce the cunning Duke's mask. The former Count's mouth was drawn thin, tension pulling his features taut, as he became lost in thought. Osiris' request was a reasonable one. If there was an ulterior motive, beyond the safety of Alderaan... he couldn't see it. Alicio nodded. "I... will." The declaration was an admittance, that all of this was really happening.

There was no backing out now.

"Though, if you expect to sit on your hands and see it done, you have another thing coming." A weak smirk broke the senator's tense expression. "Help me?" Perhaps Alicio couldn't say he trusted House Thul. Theirs was the House that tore his life apart, a name he'd been taught to fear for as long as he could walk. But he wanted to trust Osiris. Hoped beyond hope that he could offer the olive branch, connect them on a project they both cared about.

The first step to bridging a gap... was to reach across.

Ransik, predictably, stormed out. Alicio watched him as his House leave, his cold stare following them out the door. They would be a problem, one Alicio planned on being proactive about. How many lives had he saved, by ensuring House Ulgo was unsupported by the Trade Federation? How many would still die for Ransik's pride?

"Thank you, Minister." Again, there was a feeling of discomfort, as he accepted the reality of the situation a little more. On the matter of extra conditions, Alicio stayed quiet for now. He wouldn't write a blank check... but neither would he play carelessly with the lives of the people.

Finally, the representatives from Maranatha spoke up. Alicio's smile warmed. Enkidu was a good man, and a good friend. "It's worth the world to me, Enkidu. Thank you."

Alicio now reached for Amani's hand, and held it as he stood again, his expression grim with resolve. "With the blessing of the High Council of Alderaan, House Organa will continue our vigil over the throne." Alicio said the words like a prayer, his grip on his wife's hand tightening. "Until the time comes for it to pass to new hands, I vow here and now that we will do everything in our power to honor it, and bring continued prosperity to our people."

The Heart would continue beating. For at least a little while longer.

"If there is nothing else that needs to be discussed tonight... I adjourn this meeting."

Last edited:

Cora took a cursory sip of wine while she considered Delila's observation. Then, she choked.

Placing a hand over her mouth before she could spit red liquid onto her conversation partner's outfit, the blonde forced herself to swallow before clearing her throat.

"Mistress to a politician? You seem too young for such a thing, but thats how these old skeevs like them.... Do yourself a favor, use him and run."

For a few long moments, Cora was all wide eyes and crimson cheeks. Had that been an ill-mannered joke? Was she serious?

"No, I-"

A pale hand fell away from her mouth and back to her side. She almost wanted to ask just who in this room Dells thought she was playing mistress to, as unseemly as the thought was. In certain parts of the galaxy, that was the most appealing way for a woman to gain a modicum of power. In some cases, it was the only way.

"Goodness, no." Her clarification came as a low hiss so as to not disturb the verbal jousting playing out at the head of the room, even as it came to an end. "I'm here to show my support for Alicio Organa Alicio Organa and Amani Serys Amani Serys . Though, it appears that they've done just fine on their own."

Of course they did. The Organas weren't novices, and had been well prepared to do what was best for Alderran.

"I...work with them."

Still a bit flustered, Cora took another quick sip of her wine and prayed that the redhead wouldn't choose anymore mortifying words.

Delila Castillon Delila Castillon

Delila watched as she nearly choked, face turning red. With lack of oxygen or embarrassment. Most likely a mix of both, the younger woman might have taken her question about being a mistress with a touch of embarrassment. Nothing to be embarrassed about in her opinion, one of those working smarter not harder situations.

"I...work with them."

A nod of her head.

"Ah."

Another sip of her wine,swirling the liquid around in her glass, debating if she should continue to talk to the woman or not. The mistress question already caught her off guard,didn't need any faux pas at such an event.

"Let's hope one of them get in then so you can keep your job."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom