Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion The Acolyte

I personally am very excited for The Acolyte. I'm maybe one of those weird people who enjoys nearly all of the SW shows and movies that have come out in recent time, even if others say they "suck" or were "terrible". I genuinely enjoy them despite their flaws. And I know I will enjoy The Acolyte, be it good or "bad". I am super hyped to see a show from the perspective of the Sith. So much recently has been centered around the Jedi prevailing over evil, over darkness. And that's totally fine, I'm there for it. But I want a show that allows the villains to be exactly that, where they win the day. I hope this new show will do that. If it goes in a completely different direction...cool! I'll still enjoy it.

I personally am very excited for The Acolyte. I'm maybe one of those weird people who enjoys nearly all of the SW shows and movies that have come out in recent time, even if others say they "suck" or were "terrible". I genuinely enjoy them despite their flaws. And I know I will enjoy The Acolyte, be it good or "bad". I am super hyped to see a show from the perspective of the Sith. So much recently has been centered around the Jedi prevailing over evil, over darkness. And that's totally fine, I'm there for it. But I want a show that allows the villains to be exactly that, where they win the day. I hope this new show will do that. If it goes in a completely different direction...cool! I'll still enjoy it.
Disney certainly is doing diverse types of shows:

Andor -Politics/Spy/Espionage
Ahsoka -Jedi/ Mystical/ Classic SW of something or someone will take the galaxy or destroy it
The Acolyte -The Problem of Evil/ Ends Justify The Means/ Dark Perspective

Just noticed a lot of em are titled A.

My big concern is like with all of the previous opportunities to play/watch a Dark Side character they'll end up seeing the error of their ways and turning to the Light.

And of course because you can't have any Sith actually being known to the Jedi, will those in this story all conveniently die or be unable to tell about this. Or are they just not Sith? Many questions.

My big concern is like with all of the previous opportunities to play/watch a Dark Side character they'll end up seeing the error of their ways and turning to the Light.

And of course because you can't have any Sith actually being known to the Jedi, will those in this story all conveniently die or be unable to tell about this. Or are they just not Sith? Many questions.
That is a good point. For the Jedi to think the Sith are extinct by The Phantom Menace, there can be only a few outcomes:

The Jedi die as you mentioned.’
Or minds get wiped by a powerfuk dark side power or ritual.

Both of which are kind of cop outs.

Just like Darth Maul Shadow Hunter which does to extraordinary lengths to make sure no one lives who sees the Sith, or there's always a communication issue, or there's Palpatine to give the report to.

It was kinda silly since they hamstrung themselves.

Unblessed

Force User worship must end.
“This isn’t about good and evil.”
”This is about power.”
“And who’s allowed to use it.”

These lines open some philosophically troubling directions for the show. If it is the theme of the show being expressed, I suspect that I will find this show frustrating to watch. If it ends up being the following, I may not last long:

”We may tap the dark side, but the Jedi are the ones in power, so our actions are justified.”

That is probably the weakest direction for excusing your evil protagonist that they could go with. But I would side with not wanting them excused. They be evil!

Also the lines quoted from the trailer show weakish writing options? “And who’s allowed to wield it.” Is a slight change that elevates the dialogue slightly.

….Yes, I see the irony of my concerns given my ongoning storyline.

“This isn’t about good and evil.”
”This is about power.”
“And who’s allowed to use it.”

Isn't this sort of core Sith philosophy? Their emphasis on power and their warped view of being in the right? (Revan, Darth Caedus, Darth Krayt, etc.)

Even if they view themselves as being independent of moral or ethical philosophies that define good and evil, we the viewer still see their harmful actions, the oppressive behaviors, and the lasting consequences that their choices have on those who get in their crosshairs. If Disney plays their cards right, I think the show has a lot of potential for presenting us with some complex villains that we can love to hate.

I do agree though, that some of the dialogue does feel a little bit weak... but! Still trying to sit on the optimistic side of this.

Isn't this sort of core Sith philosophy? Their emphasis on power and their warped view of being in the right? (Revan, Darth Caedus, Darth Krayt, etc.)

Even if they view themselves as being independent of moral or ethical philosophies that define good and evil, we the viewer still see their harmful actions, the oppressive behaviors, and the lasting consequences that their choices have on those who get in their crosshairs. If Disney plays their cards right, I think the show has a lot of potential for presenting us with some complex villains that we can love to hate.

I do agree though, that some of the dialogue does feel a little bit weak... but! Still trying to sit on the optimistic side of this.

Palpatine does says, “good is a point of view, Anakin.” (Revenge of the Sith)
Which then gets these follow ups,
“From my point of view the Jedi are evil!” (Darth Vader).
However, it was not just used by Sith, Kenobi also brings up this moral relativism,
“So what I told you was true from a certain point of view.. many of the truths we cling to Depend greatly on our own point of view.” (Return of the Jedi).
The problem is this moral relativism does not jive with the story that the Jedi are good and The Sith evil, especially in the throne room scene in Return of the Jedi or the confrontation on Exegol.
But it does mean moral relativism was in Star Wars pre The Acolyte.
The problem with moral relativism is that it sucks the air out of the Light vs Dark conflict; it does help tell more morally grey stories, but it poses a problem for larger conflict in a galaxy, far, far, away… because if it’s all just point of views (post-modernism) then nothing is absolute and why even have Jedi vs Sith, Rebels vs Empire, and just adopt The Elders of the Path belief that “The Force is a fire that no living being should sense.” (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/El...e Elders of the Path,by the Council of Elders.)

What I hope for is that Jedi characters do try to tell the Jedi High Council about the possibility of the Sith still being around, but the Jedi just bury it because of the growing arrogance within the Jedi Order itself; that an ancient enemy they defeated could not possibly come back. It would fit in with the Jedi Council dismissing Qui-Gon's report about Maul out of hand in TPM, that it's totally inconceivable that the Sith could have ever come back. Gaslighting and obfuscating the truth so that they don't have to contend with the reality of it.

But idk, show isn't out yet, so who knows.

Valiens Nantaris Valiens Nantaris

What I hope for is that Jedi characters do try to tell the Jedi High Council about the possibility of the Sith still being around, but the Jedi just bury it because of the growing arrogance within the Jedi Order itself; that an ancient enemy they defeated could not possibly come back. It would fit in with the Jedi Council dismissing Qui-Gon's report about Maul out of hand in TPM, that it's totally inconceivable that the Sith could have ever come back. Gaslighting and obfuscating the truth so that they don't have to contend with the reality of it.

That is an interesting explanation. It might happen, but it'd make the Jedi look even more stupid than usual. Having said that, Disney Star Wars has portrayed all the good guy groups as morons, so I guess it makes sense.

Be neat to see The Jedi burying the news like in the movie Priest (2011) when the vampires are returning and ruling church refuses to believe it.

Major Faction

Joy

OOC Writer Account
I have very little hope for the show. I think it will be like the Obi-Wan show. A very generic storyline, using tropes that are safe, with characters that are neither interesting nor likeable. I genuinely hope I am wrong.

I have very little hope for the show. I think it will be like the Obi-Wan show. A very generic storyline, using tropes that are safe, with characters that are neither interesting nor likeable. I genuinely hope I am wrong.

My hope is the trailer looked like that, but it will surprise us. Kenobi had a great trailer and wasn’t great. I am going with that reasoning.

That is an interesting explanation. It might happen, but it'd make the Jedi look even more stupid than usual. Having said that, Disney Star Wars has portrayed all the good guy groups as morons, so I guess it makes sense.

To be fair, Jedi Councils/Republics/Galactic Alliances being dumb is (unfortunately) a standard SW trope that far predates Disney. They just doubled down on it, but it's not like the good guy groups of the old movies or the EU were bastions of competence. lol

Anyhow, I'm not too keen on the way lightsabres look in the trailer. I low-key thought I was seeing a bunch of fans play Jedi for a second. Too glowy.

Also I suspect the 'Acolyte' will turn to the light-side super soon. Gotta play it safe.

To be fair, Jedi Councils/Republics/Galactic Alliances being dumb is (unfortunately) a standard SW trope that far predates Disney. They just doubled down on it, but it's not like the good guy groups of the old movies or the EU were bastions of competence. lol

Anyhow, I'm not too keen on the way lightsabres look in the trailer. I low-key thought I was seeing a bunch of fans play Jedi for a second. Too glowy.

Also I suspect the 'Acolyte' will turn to the light-side super soon. Gotta play it safe.

I hope the Acolyte does not turn Lightsider.

The idea that the “Fourth Stage of the Dark Side is Redemption” (Ryder Windham) cheapens Vader’s redemption IMHO, because then it seems invitable rather than a choice and so robs the tension of The Throne Room Scene.

Major Faction

Joy

OOC Writer Account
My hope is the trailer looked like that, but it will surprise us. Kenobi had a great trailer and wasn’t great. I am going with that reasoning.
The worse thing I can say about the Obi-Wan show is that they took the two most interesting and beloved characters in Star Wars lore and made them bland, boring and almost fake imitations of the real thing. So the fact I am getting the same vibe from the Acolyte doesn't inspire a lot confidence. I am such a freak for Star Wars though that if the show is ass I'm probably gonna watch all of it anyway.

The worse thing I can say about the Obi-Wan show is that they took the two most interesting and beloved characters in Star Wars lore and made them bland, boring and almost fake imitations of the real thing. So the fact I am getting the same vibe from the Acolyte doesn't inspire a lot confidence. I am such a freak for Star Wars though that if the show is ass I'm probably gonna watch all of it anyway.

I hated how Kenobi felt like it was on a stage or back lot, very low budget and became the babysit Leia show (it was funny for an episode).

But I loved the dislouge in the fijal duel between Ksnobi and Vadee,
Vader: You didn’t desteoy Anakin Obi-Wan.. I did, just like I am goinf to destroy you.
Kenobi: Then my friend is truly dead.. so long Darth (establishing why in OT he stops calling him Anakin)
-forgive is quotes arn’t perfect, going by memory.

As for The Acolyte, I suspect it will feel a lot like Ahsoka. In fact, I thijk it will perhaps be like Book of Boba was to Mando.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom