Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion The Acolyte

the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466.jpeg

At long last.. our story is being told. Too long The Jedi have monopolized the holorecords.

Discuss The Acolyte, and will you be swayed to the dark side by the series? Or call it Sith propoganda. :D

I genuinely hope they aren't afraid to have the villain protags that are genuinely evil. It would be way to easy to just have the dark side be 'misunderstood' and go the route of legitimizing the actions of palpatine. I think interesting characters can be objectively evil, and I really don't want this to become a Sith apologist piece. Like, the dark lord before Plagus is a big deal. I don't wanna just have it go from "here's the Sith grand plan, the rule of two, conquering the galaxy" and then take the angle of "they're just misunderstood guys." As a Sith enjoyer, I really do hope they wind up having the guts to make their protag the bad guy. We need more villain stories where the villainous protaganists can be villains.

Oh well. At the very least I can still read a Darth Carnifex Darth Carnifex post to get my villain fix if it doesn't work out lmao.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
luke-skywalker.gif

Given the quality shifts of Disney star wars shows. it could either be good or meh.

The few press for it made a mistake in my opinion. The trailer was meh and didn't get me excited. THen add that it is in the high republic which casual watchers likely know nothing about. If they only watch the shows and movies they aren't reading the books and comics.

I genuinely hope they aren't afraid to have the villain protags that are genuinely evil. It would be way to easy to just have the dark side be 'misunderstood' and go the route of legitimizing the actions of palpatine. I think interesting characters can be objectively evil, and I really don't want this to become a Sith apologist piece. Like, the dark lord before Plagus is a big deal. I don't wanna just have it go from "here's the Sith grand plan, the rule of two, conquering the galaxy" and then take the angle of "they're just misunderstood guys." As a Sith enjoyer, I really do hope they wind up having the guts to make their protag the bad guy. We need more villain stories where the villainous protaganists can be villains.

Oh well. At the very least I can still read a Darth Carnifex Darth Carnifex post to get my villain fix if it doesn't work out lmao.

That is interesting, you do have a point. Palpatine said, “good is a point of view Anakin.” Which means he knew he was evil.
If the Sith see themselves as evil, do they not mind that people then dislike them for that reason?

luke-skywalker.gif

Given the quality shifts of Disney star wars shows. it could either be good or meh.

The few press for it made a mistake in my opinion. The trailer was meh and didn't get me excited. THen add that it is in the high republic which casual watchers likely know nothing about. If they only watch the shows and movies they aren't reading the books and comics.

I hope we get a very dark side trailer for May 4th.

I want to hear in raspy tone, Michael Wincott please, “Peacr is a lie, There is Passion.”

That is interesting, you do have a point. Palpatine said, “good is a point of view Anakin.” Which means he knew he was evil.
If the Sith see themselves as evil, do they not mind that people then dislike them for that reason?
I think it's less about if the Sith see themselves as evil and more about letting them be evil. Y'know, Palpatine is such a great character because he is shamelessly the bad guy, a threat to freedom and force of oppression throughout the galaxy. My favorite novels that focus on the Sith are Bane and Plagus, which focus on similar things. I feel like Disney may be afraid of actually having a villainous protaganist in their show. I mean, they turned Cruella DeVille from an insane person who skinned puppies into a saint. I'm worried they may dumb down the bad guy because "people need to like our protaganist" when they can make a compelling story with a protaganist who is very clearly the villain. I want to be able to believe that the rule of two in canon is the evil entity that created the Galactic Empire.

I don't think they're gonna go that route personally, I think they're gonna stick to the Sith being categorically evil. Some Sith can be sympathetic to a degree, like Vader, but overall they've been keeping to the theme of Sith being real villains.

I don't think they're gonna go that route personally, I think they're gonna stick to the Sith being categorically evil. Some Sith can be sympathetic to a degree, like Vader, but overall they've been keeping to the theme of Sith being real villains.
I hope so. The director of a show going "this won't be what you expect" always gets me a lil nervous lmao.

I hope so. My concern is the line, “this isn't about good or bad, its about power and who is allowed to use it." (The Acolyte)

I haven’t cared much about new SW content since The Force Awakens, but I was somewhat intrigued when I heard about this project. I first watched the trailer in silence (no audio) and thought it looked good. Then I heard the voiceover. The lines chosen make it sound silly, and I think that’s where the marketing mistake lies. They say “someone is killing Jedi” then show footage of a Jedi successfully defending herself against an attacker lmao. Also the curious use of martial arts rather than lightsabers, I don’t know what to think of that.

I don’t have Disney+ and probably won’t when it comes out, so I’ll likely never see it. As always, I will enjoy watching YouTubers post video essays about how much it sucks, is mediocre, and/or is the greatest thing ever.

I hope so. My concern is the line, “this isn't about good or bad, its about power and who is allowed to use it." (The Acolyte)

WHen I think about that line I remember The First from Buffy's final season. Big bad that could be beaten back but not really defeated.

As to the sith well.. if they show them being evil there are various ways.. evil doesn't have to be kicking puppies or mustache twirling.... and you could have a dark knight type. With a sense of honor and code to themselves but they do things that are evil.

iirc, that line is spoken by a character who's the leader of a coven of Witches, so it's not from the perspective of a Jedi or anything like that. Plus that's an in-character line, and characters can be subjective in their viewpoint.

WHen I think about that line I remember The First from Buffy's final season. Big bad that could be beaten back but not really defeated.

As to the sith well.. if they show them being evil there are various ways.. evil doesn't have to be kicking puppies or mustache twirling.... and you could have a dark knight type. With a sense of honor and code to themselves but they do things that are evil.
Sorru, I laughed because another mentioned Deville and the puppies, and you saying kicking puppies made me rofl. XD

Regains composure..

Yes, indeed. I like the evil that thinks its doing good, “best intentions pave the way to hades.” Maybe that is the angle, that this Acolyte believes like Revan, “He no longer clung to the simplistic ideals of right and wrong or good and evil. He understood better than anyone that dark and light were intertwined in strange and complex ways." (Revan, Drew Karpyshyn). But ultimately you end up taking a side, walking the middle it prone to cause a split personality.

I think it was Yuthura in KotOR who showed the insidious nature of it. SHe wanted to become stronger to rescue her people and always thought she needed more power... and by the time she had it the original goal was no longer a concern. SHowing a darksider who maybe started from a place or good with their intentions and along the way fell into the trap of coveting more and more power has been told plenty but it doesn't mean it can't be told again just needs to be done well. Preferably without trying to beat over the head how misunderstood they are or how they are really just good except for this one thing.

I think it was Yuthura in KotOR who showed the insidious nature of it. SHe wanted to become stronger to rescue her people and always thought she needed more power... and by the time she had it the original goal was no longer a concern. SHowing a darksider who maybe started from a place or good with their intentions and along the way fell into the trap of coveting more and more power has been told plenty but it doesn't mean it can't be told again just needs to be done well. Preferably without trying to beat over the head how misunderstood they are or how they are really just good except for this one thing.
In Halo The Series Dr. Halsley reminds me of this, her goal for transcendence is leading to a threat that will destroy all life.

I've got high hopes of the Sith being evil, if only because they had no issue with Vader snapping a kids neck in the Kenobi show and were very, very clear on what he did. Palpatine has been shown to be downright manipulative and irredeemable in the Clone Wars, and even Dooku's fall showed him being very willing to kill someone who was his closest ally. Hell even Maul and Savage were still just terrible people.

They haven't sugar coated the Sith. I'm excite.

I've got high hopes of the Sith being evil, if only because they had no issue with Vader snapping a kids neck in the Kenobi show and were very, very clear on what he did. Palpatine has been shown to be downright manipulative and irredeemable in the Clone Wars, and even Dooku's fall showed him being very willing to kill someone who was his closest ally. Hell even Maul and Savage were still just terrible people.

They haven't sugar coated the Sith. I'm excite.

Vader snapped a kids neck? :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom