Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Wars introduces its first LGBT character to canon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/9/8179815/star-wars-first-lgbt-character-canon-moff-mors

Star Wars is about to get its first official gay person. Moff Mors, a character in Paul S. Kemp's upcoming Star Wars: Lords of the Sith novel, will become the first LGBT character in official Star Wars canon when the book is released in late April. Shelly Shapiro, editor at Star Wars book publisher Del Rey, confirmed the addition of the character during an interview on Big Shiny Robot's "Full of Sith" podcast. Mors, who is a lesbian, is described as an "incredibly capable" Imperial leader who spends much of the book working to prevent "absolute failure."

Shapiro said that Mors will become the first officially recognized LGBT character in Star Wars canon, but noted that gay characters have been referenced in other media set in the galaxy far far away. Two male Mandalorians, Goran Beviin and Medrit Vasur, were married in Karen Traviss' Legacy of the Force books, and BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic video game, released in 2003, allowed for the possibility of same-sex relationships between the player and their AI companions.

Despite these nods, Star Wars has generally done a poor job of recognizing the existence of LGBT people — no openly gay characters appear in the movies, and the references to homosexual relationships that are present in the games and books can be skipped by the player or misinterpreted by the reader. The message was inconsistent, too: while BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic made same-sex relationships possible, spiritual successor The Old Republic only allowed for heterosexual relationships between players and AI characters at launch. On the game's official forums, BioWare censored the words "homosexual," "lesbian," and "gay," and community managers shut down topics discussing the issue of same-sex relationships, saying in 2009 that "these are terms that do not exist in Star Wars."

Mors' introduction and official recognition comes shortly after the entire Star Wars expanded universe was blown up. The hard reboot may have wiped away some 30 years of stories, but thankfully it also seems to be clearing Star Wars' strange blind spot for LGBT characters, and ushering in a new, more inclusive take on sci-fi's biggest series.

Whilst I absolutely welcome this, I do hope this doesn’t become this character’s sole and only defining characteristic. Let’s also hope that they also have good characterisation rather than being pushed into stereotypes.

However, it is good news that they are moving at least a little with the times.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Pfft. Zeltrons have always been bi-sexual creatures. Hutts have always been hermaphrodites. Twi-leks 'work' together. These creatures are still Disney Canon-Canon.

*Jay being a debby-downer* :( :p

Let's celebrate characters for characters sake. >.>''

I'm pleased enough to hear this. My character Alena Reckar is gay, and I've written homosexual SW characters before, though really out of the simple fact that I wasn't seeing any and figured in a Galaxy THAT big there had to be a few.
Hell, if anything I interpreted the franchise's lack of homosexual characters as a show that such a thing was ubiquitously accepted by the society of the age, IC. (Minus a few select species' and the Imperial's propensity for racial discrimination)

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

It's Disney so I have a, surprisingly, high amount of hope they won't just do this for brownie points exclusively. If they DO manage to burn it all the ground by being dumb asses, at least give Obsidian the rights to make a new Star Wars game, they at least have the common decency to make LGBT characters actually behave like well adjusted human beings instead of caricatures.

That and I want my bloody KOTOR 3.

Who cares if there never was or there is going to be a homosexual character in SW. A character should not be defined by their sexual beliefs but by their actions in the SW Universe or any universe. Nobody complains about Luke and Leia kissing even after we found out they were siblings. Society needs to quit worrying about whose licking whom or whose sticking whom where and focus their attention on REAL issues that AFFECT everyone, such as: Why are we paying over $4 for a gallon of gas or why are children starving in civilized countries?. That's what I would like to see our society address...not someone's sexual preference in real or fantasy land. Homosexuality has been around, and encouraged by some wonderful cultures (Greeks and Romans), for a long time. It's nothing new and its not going to go away. Accept it or don't but people for the love of the Gods...stop complaining about it.

This makes me happy. I don't care if the character is a bit stereotypical or used solely for brownie points. I care that some kid or teenager or whatever out there is going to see it. They're gonna see this hopefully BA queer character and go "Hey, being gay isn't bad". There are kids who grow up with same-sex parents and get made fun of. There are teens who are queer and get bullied for it. The more representation that queer characters have, the more youngsters that see it, the better they're going to feel.

Representation is important. Things have gotten better over the years, yes, but you might be surprised how little most teens (aka impressionable youngsters) see of queer characters. Getting cool characters that they can relate with is very important.

So yeah, I hope that the character is strong, more than just gay, and a total badass. But I'd be willing to settle for a little less if it meant some one out there is going to feel a little better about their sexuality.

I posted this on another forum, and totally forgot to on this one.

My opinions are the same as I feel most are. I'm really glad that they are making this a thing so early into the new canon, and it sounds like a major character. I feel it was kind of weird for them to mention it if it's just going to be an obscure sidenote bit about her, I hope it ties in well with the story while not becoming too much of a 'fan service' type ordeal to garner attention.

I'm definitely going to read the book, like all the others thus far.

[member="Drapeam Nyx"]

My hubby and I are friends with a gay couple who adopted a girl. She get's teased all the time at school but it doesn't bother her because unlike those ignorant kids, she is going to make something of her self.

[member="Ciara Jevnaker"]
I'm a queer teen myself. A lot of my friends are too. We're the lucky ones, really. Our town is generally pretty LGBT+ friendly (we do live near Seattle after all) and we have each other. But not every kid has that. Others don't have the self-esteem or mental health to deal with the kind of stuff some of them do. A friend of mine used to live in California in a really bad area. The fact that they were gay and had depression (chemical imbalance in the brain; actual problem that people in their area didn't recognize as a real thing) really didn't help. Eventually they moved and things got better, but it still hurt them a lot. They've mentioned a few times that they really wished that they had seen at least one queer character on TV while growing up.

"Maybe then I could have come to peace with myself." Paraphrased quote from them.

I'm glad your friend's kid is doing good. And I hope that the kids they're around grow the frak up someday and stop thinking that who someone loves has anything to do with them. God bless their little souls. Kids that are homophobic generally make me said. Why? Because usually it's their parents that drilled the thought into their head, not themselves. I've known a few kids who used to hate gays (at the time they didn't realize that I was about as queer as someone can get, lol) but stopped after actually meeting queer people and seeing them in the media. As in they went "Oh, hey, these people are actually normal. And cool."

So I guess the point is that representation is important because while not everyone needs it... some of them do.
Not to mention the fact that it's really unrealistic to not have even one openly queer character in any universe.

[member="Drapeam Nyx"]

I agree with everything you wrote. My biggest concern is Disney is doing this to fatten their pockets. I might be wrong and I hope I am. My hubby is bi-sexual or was until I took him over( :) ) and we have a lot of gay/lesbian friends. Representation is everything...and I see a lot of positive things coming out of it. I just don't want to see big corporations using it as a tool to boost tv ratings or like I said with Disney fatten their pockets. I'm glad they have decided to do this and hopefully it will relax people and change their opinions. Parents might complain but in truth, SW IMHO has never been a franchise for kids.

Valiens Nantaris said:
Whilst I absolutely welcome this, I do hope this doesn’t become this character’s sole and only defining characteristic. Let’s also hope that they also have good characterisation rather than being pushed into stereotypes.

Agreed. Very strongly. Sexuality is not a personality. :)

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

[member="Ciara Jevnaker"]
True dat, bruh. Though I've heard some stuff about countries that they get most of their money from not supporting same-sex relationships (foolish mortals and their 'morals'). If that's true they could actually lose money from this. I mean, there are a lot of queer people and allies who will be all over it, but there's still the homophobes and homo-haters that will cause a lot of trouble.

I'm not to concerned though. Disney has already started to incorporate queer characters into their other franchises. So have other kid-friendly companies (like Cartoon Network). In the past six months alone I think I've seen four or five queer couples on kid TV. Only on two channels, but still! It's great progress, it really is. Though I am concerned about other stuff youngsters are seeing...
That, however, is a completely different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom