Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staff Critique Thread: June 2013

RodianHero said:
So I have one question/suggestion/complaint.

I understand that the period of time this board finds itself in is chaotic and that multiple factions are vying for power. I get that, but logically...This galaxy map with all these influence bubbles is just crazy. There are certain Factions that are great ideas...as Minor factions, but what happens if they grow and grow and become a dominant faction in the universe.(Note: The following is not trying to point fingers at specific factions but trying to make a point at the ridiculous situation the galaxy would be in under the following circumstances aka this is all hypothetical)
Cannon Factions that matter; and those that are unique.
Imagine, the Dathomiri Witches. They have their blop on the map and their sphere of influence. Now, following the rules they obtained enough unique writers to gain Major Faction Status and begin Dominions. How? How are they getting to other worlds and taking over worlds with technology far more advanced than them. I mean no offense to them because this is obviously a character trait, but have you seen them speak? I mean, for battle they ride in on Ranchors. They use beasts of burden where the next planet over they have swoops, starships, planetary defenses and trained militias or soldiers. But if they make 100 posts on said planet with some sort of opposition they get the planet and spread their matriarchal ways. It makes sense OOC and rules wise, but IC? Story wise? Cannonly? (our cannon) Besides the entire planet of Dathomir isn't ruled by the Witches and tribes! How would it make sense to have a world taken under the Witches of Dathomir with their capitol being Dathomir. I imagine that the people that live on Dathomir would be rather confused why they were receiving thousands of credits and support.
Next example: Cooperation based factions
Okay a cooperation based faction, maybe a starship producer or private military company, regardless. They get major faction status and start taking over worlds violently and peacefully etc. and they become a dominant force in the galaxy. Again, makes sense rules wise and OOC, but why? Why would a corporation take over multiple planets when realistically, said corporations would be living within a government and selling their services out. Why do they need their own system, their own government?

My suggestions:
1/2 allow multiple factions, they are fun. But after a certain amount of time with this board alive and after a few solid events pitter it out and have your few major factions and have a plethora of minor factions. Minor factions make the universe spin. They are your crime syndicates, large corporations, mercenary groups even political parties can make great minor factions. They make the wheels turn and they ultimately push the galaxy along with their moles and grubby fingers in the major factions, telling them where they want to go. Honestly, the stories that matters most are the little guys' as they show and determine how the big guy is growing or withering and ultimatley define the world (or galaxy) we live in. Minor factions would keep their planet of origination and maybe have bases on other worlds, keeping their religions, political views, practices, ethics, cultures etc. but act as citizens to whatever faction "rules" over them.
2/2 Since everyone and their mother eventually becomes a major faction or stops being active just have one lable, faction and keep the map the way you've been doing it. It doesn't seem like there is a point in the two (major and minor) even being there if they all with a few members can be the same thing and have the same benefits.
This seems vastly opinionated, but it seems like the best way to achieve the equality you're getting at is to remove the Galaxy Map entirely...Small Factions exist, they're just not on the Galaxy Map. If we let every faction on the Galaxy Map, it would literally change daily, something we don't have the manpower or the willpower to support.

Not to wave you off, @[member="RodianHero"], but it seems like this would be better served in it's own topic thread, instead of in the Staff Critique thread, as it doesn't seem as if you have a complaint...but rather a wish to change the rules. Forgive me if I'm incorrect.

@[member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""]RodianHero

Grr... i had a massive post to answer this... then it got deleted... but meh.

In summary:

1. Check with Dathomir lore, in it they had several instances where outsiders took witches out of dathomir. Also, as per "Courtship of Leia," they are a mix of old salvaged tech with your local spears. The Nightsistesr, after all, were trying their best to get Han's ship so they could leave Dathomir and "rule the stars."

The Emperor feared them so much he did his best to keep the Nightsisters there.

Ic storywise, the Mandalorians here are already talking with the witches in regards to an alliance, as the mandos had sent scouts out to discover who lived in their neighboring planets.

Just cause they talk in Paecean, doesn't mean they are simpleminded. The witches are a powerful force with their spells as a unity, able to dominate minds with powerful spells, Force Storms, Illusions, mindtricks and the like.
A clan based society that normally resembles a Native American lifestyle doesn't mean that they are a weak force. You can certainly read more about the lore on Dathomir and the Witches and how they've managed to spread their influence off of Dathomir here.

2. Corporate entities have by canon ruled over territories. The Corporate Sector Authority is one example.

Now if you want to talk Corporations on SWRP, the best example would be Omega Pyre, as they are now the third largest faction in terms of territory, activity, and member base.

You ask how a corporation can "rule" over territory and worlds? Well simple really, due to the 400 year darkness, the worlds are thrown into chaos, giving rise to warlords, pirates, and all kinds of scum and villiany that gets only worse tenfold as one goes from the colonies, to the outer rim, to the wild regions.

As such, it makes sense why worlds would use such PMC groups as Omega Pyre to help them with getting some measure of peace, supplies, and protection along the hyperlanes to help them reconnect with infrastructure.... and want them to KEEP doing what they are doing to ensure they can continue to communicate and run their trade. It is after all, said faction's influence over said territories that says that they have basically... an easier time doing what they need to do and contract services, trade, discounts on coffee and donuts... things like that ;P

We don't take away their sovereignty, we merely offer the Force to ensure said sovereignty stays the status quo... Whisper softly but carry a big stick persay.

And that is what Omega Pyre does. In our dominions, we've fought pirates, Reavers (Bando Gora cultists), Rakghouls, Zombies, Warlords and the like.... We've eased the path for many in terms of medical supplies and shipping in foodstuffs from agricultural worlds. As Omega Pyre owns Thyferra, they dominate in the bacta trade, a very valuable commodity that many would pay credits for to ensure it's proper delivery.

Omega Pyre has grown so much from a minor faction to a major faction in mere months. It is very exciting. As such, it's members have already been discussing it's gradual change from a PMC, to a Merchant Government... to what will soon be once threads are finished... the new Omega Protectorate.

It's neat how roleplays and interactions have brought Omega Pyre to that evolution and state of place where it organically is turning into a Corporate governing entity over several sectors.

So you see... there are many IC reasons why it would be so. Just requires a bit of asking around!

Doing so with those factions involved would prove enlightening! ^_^

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
@[member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""]Skye Mertaal
This is good and makes sense :) and @[member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""][member=""]Tegaea Alcori as well

The second part of my post however deals with most of the factions we have owning Major Faction status and owning their spot on the map whereas realistically having that many "major" factions pretty much takes the "Major" out of Major faction...(11/21) and how there is low activity in almost half of the minor faction. My suggestion was that after a while (While meaning establishing elites among the Major factions) creating semi-permanent minor factions with power and stance of said minor factions becoming the more looked at focus.

RodianHero said:
The second part of my post however deals with most of the factions we have owning Major Faction status and owning their spot on the map whereas realistically having that many "major" factions pretty much takes the "Major" out of Major faction...(11/21) and how there is low activity in almost half of the minor faction. My suggestion was that after a while (While meaning establishing elites among the Major factions) creating semi-permanent minor factions with power and stance of said minor factions becoming the more looked at focus.
Factions come and go, and will be archived. Your stance on this is a bit more...overly complicated, so no, we won't be taking that route. Over time, the membership requirement for Major Factions will continue to rise, widening the gap between what constitutes a minor and major faction, unless activity begins to dwindle, then the gap will close.

Because honestly...

No one wants an non active faction on the map; like in history, civilizations come and go. / shrugs.

What's the point of a faction having a place on the map if it is inactive?

The difference between major and minor factions is the just whether they have a presence on the map or not. More importantly the point of the map is that anyone can rise to power, and seize control. If a small, seemingly minor faction grows and ends up dominating the map through a well written stories well then excellent. They had to work for it, and it certainly makes for an interesting story. As ever faction on SWRP, including the "canon" factions, is essentially a new creation after the four hundred years of darkness none are inherently better than the others. And a faction chooses to become a major faction once they hit six members. A corporation faction does not have to be a major faction and control planets, but they can if they wish to go that route.

Though I would still be ok with minor factions having the choice to control a capital planet, but be unable to do dominions or invasions, if they want.

Darren Onyx

D
Well the only problem I really have is the lack of epic. I think that one thing Star Wars always had that made it epic was these huge space and land battles. Think back to Order 66. That was a battle that took place not only in the Jedi Temple, but all over the galaxy. Or the Battle of Kashyyyk, which was a ended up being a huge battle within the Clone Wars.

I just think we need some type of event that results in a huge battle. Not just for the major factions but for everyone. This brings me back to the Clockwork Rebellion. I loved it because it had a great story to it, it affected everyone, and it forced everyone to work together. I mean this was something that was a huge threat to the galaxy. So my question is, when are we going to see that kind of scale but with it being a war between the forces of the Dark Side and the forces of the Light Side?

I really want to see a war. For me, the idea of Chaos is great. I love the galaxy and timeline you have created. It is a great AU and it has a great community of characters and writers that help it evolve and change everyday. With the Clockwork Rebellion you showed us that we can create a large event that affects everyone. But now we need something bigger. Something that will not only shock everyone but affect everyone. It could be anything really. I've actually written several ideas down on how it could play out (on a side note: if you want to see the idea I can always PM to you). I just want to know when we can except chaos to really strike when a all out war between Republic and Sith breaks out.

Aren't the sith and mandos at war?

Unless your a sith or mando, or a faction that sees an opportunity to use their distraction for your advantage (like the Republic if they chose to), most people in the Galaxy would not be affected. The Hutt Cartel might make some money if they wanted to participate, but the Atrisian Empire would only look on the mando/sith war as a "oh look the barbarians are killing each other off on the other side of the Galaxy" type of thing. Unless the Republic decided to do something at least. And that is what your wanting a big war needs. Alliances between the factions, so that a war between two ends up involving many more than just those two. Which is starting to happen.

Though big events like the Clockwork Rebellion are designed to affect the entire Galaxy, and thus, every faction by nature. Something that is unlikely to happen with just a war.

Darren Onyx

D
Akio Kahoshi said:
Aren't the sith and mandos at war? Unless your a sith or mando, or a faction that sees an opportunity to use their distraction for your advantage (like the Republic if they chose to), most people in the Galaxy would not be affected. The Hutt Cartel might make some money if they wanted to participate, but the Atrisian Empire would only look on the mando/sith war as a "oh look the barbarians are killing each other off on the other side of the Galaxy" type of thing. Unless the Republic decided to do something at least. And that is what your wanting a big war needs. Alliances between the factions, so that a war between two ends up involving many more than just those two. Which is starting to happen. Though big events like the Clockwork Rebellion are designed to affect the entire Galaxy, and thus, every faction by nature. Something that is unlikely to happen with just a war.

That's what I'm saying. We need a galactic event, like the Clockwork Rebellion, that would result in the war intensifying. I'll send you my ideas so I can show you what I mean.

Dark Onyx said:
With the Clockwork Rebellion you showed us that we can create a large event that affects everyone. But now we need something bigger. Something that will not only shock everyone but affect everyone. It could be anything really. I've actually written several ideas down on how it could play out (on a side note: if you want to see the idea I can always PM to you). I just want to know when we can except chaos to really strike when a all out war between Republic and Sith breaks out.
I was afraid of this, to be honest. We're not going to get much bigger than the Clockwork Rebellion, and we're not going to do these events often. I told Staff to expect events of this caliber maybe 3-4 times a year. You guys can plan and work out events between your own factions, which is awesome and shows community effort, but I'm not going to force the entire board to be affected by all encompassing events constantly.

Some people just want to be left alone so they can role-play privately with their friends. I want to minimize the impact of these events on those types of people.

Darren Onyx

D
Tefga said:
I was afraid of this, to be honest. We're not going to get much bigger than the Clockwork Rebellion, and we're not going to do these events often. I told Staff to expect events of this caliber maybe 3-4 times a year. You guys can plan and work out events between your own factions, which is awesome and shows community effort, but I'm not going to force the entire board to be affected by all encompassing events constantly. Some people just want to be left alone so they can role-play privately with their friends. I want to minimize the impact of these events on those types of people.

So our factions could work out events like this?

Darren Onyx

D
Well then, I withdraw my previous complaint. I am going to have fun explaining my ideas to the Sith Empire. :p

Dark Onyx said:
So our factions could work out events like this?
Easy there on the quick answer, Selena. You can do events like Clockwork Rebellion, yes, @[member="Dark Onyx"]. But if you want it to be Galaxy-wide or planet-destroying, we'd like you to discuss it with Staff first.

Darren Onyx

D
Of course @[member="Tefga"], but I would like to run the ideas by the faction, get approval from them, then pitch it to the staff. If that is ok with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom