Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Lore Shi'ido Kinship: Importance of Family, Adoption, and the Sacred Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Media Name: Shi'ido Kinship: Importance of Family, Adoption, and the Sacred Duty
  • Format: Holobook/Hologram Recording
  • Distribution: Common
  • Length: Medium
  • Description: Available as both a holobook or a hologram recording of Inanna Yomin herself, it focuses on the importance of family among the Shi'ido, as well as describing the traditional rites of adoption and the "sacred duty" to one's clan.
SOCIAL INFORMATION
  • Author: Inanna Yomin
  • Publisher: Gildenleaf Inc.
  • Reception: This was sent to various libraries across the galaxy as well as handed out to communities with a substantial population of Shi'ido refugees with the intention of introducing the rest of the galaxy to various aspects of Shi'ido culture and customs.
FORMAT INFORMATION
As a hologram, Inanna appears in her natural form - a pale-skinned humanoid with a wide mouth and deep-set eyes.

CONTENT INFORMATION
The text goes over a variety of topics and is very detailed. The following is a condensed summary of the contents:
  • In most provinces, the Shi'ido have traditionally divided themselves into clans, or gav'rin (literally "house", the term may also be used to refer to one's kin). These clans form the basis of their communities. Most members of a gav'rin are not related to one another by blood, but because they or an ancestor of theirs took the surname of the sylarat ("clan chief") upon swearing loyalty to them, or for protection or sustenance. One could also become part of a clan through marriage or adoption.
    • Ish'ken - Literally "spirit of adoption". If one invokes ish'ken, then they have decided to formally adopt someone into their family or clan. While it is most commonly used by a parent who wishes to adopt someone as their child, it can also be invoked to claim a sibling or by a child to claim someone as their parent. Most clans have their own traditions and rituals associated with the adoption ceremony, but here is an example of one from Clan Hoole, a patriarchal clan, translated into Basic using "Ego" as a stand-in for the individual being adopted:
      • "Ego, son of Ego's Father, I invoke the spirit of adoption over you. Henceforth you will be my son, equal to the children of my body in rights and privileges under the laws of my people. You will inherit that portion of my property that is due a son of my house, as well as my family name. Do you accept?”
        If Ego accepts:
        “Your name is Ego Hoole. You are the eighth son and youngest child of Tammuz Hoole, grandson of Dagon Hoole, and great-grandson of Mammon Hoole. May you bring honor and glory to your house for as long as you live.”
    • Ka'ruvim - If one invokes ka'ruvim, on the other hand, then they are disowning someone. This is typically reserved for members of one's close family/blood kin, and is only invoked if the individual being disowned has committed heinous crimes or sullied the family's name. Usually once ka'ruvim has been enacted, all members of the family are expected to never mention the disowned person's name again and to pretend as if the person has died or, in more extreme cases, that they never existed. In modern times, ka'ruvim is rarely invoked and the practice is looked down upon as too harsh, but it has not died out completely. As with adoption, there is typically an element of ritual or ceremony involved. Here is Clan Hoole's, again using the name "Ego" for the one being disowned:
      • "Ego Hoole is a stranger to me. Though machines and records may trace his blood to my lineage, and he may continue to call me his father, I will no longer call him my son. I renounce him, because of... [the reason(s) for disowning are listed]. Let his name be unheard and unspoken in my presence from this day forward, and let him leave this place forever, never to return.”
    • Shee'an - The "sacred duty" to protect and care for one's clan. While it is a broad term, in modern usage it is most commonly used to refer to someone who returns home due to a family crisis, especially if it is a Shi'ido who left Lao-mon and comes back for the sake of a relative or relatives in need.
  • Shi'ido kinship - From an anthropological standpoint, the Shi'ido kinship system is very complicated. There are separate designations for almost every one of an individual's kin, based on their distance from the individual, their relation, their relative age, and their gender. For instance, Inanna's father is distinguished from Inanna's father's brother and from Inanna's mother's brother. Inanna's mother is similarly distinguished from Inanna's mother's sister and from Inanna's father's sister. In addition, there are different terms for her father's older brother and her father's younger brother, her mother's older sister and her mother's younger sister, and so on. For her cousins, there are eight possible terms depending on all of these factors - and we're not even including in-laws or step-relatives. The reason for this complex system is because Shi'ido consider all of their relatives to be close family, even if they are only related by marriage and not by blood.
    • On the other hand, the terms used for some familial relationships have additional meanings and can be used to refer to a non-familial relationship which is akin to that of the term. For example nad'yim ("son") may refer to one's male student, and may also be used as a term of endearment for someone who is "like a son" to you.

HISTORICAL INFORMATION
For the first time in their history, the Shi'ido are facing conquest and enslavement by extraterrestrial invaders, the Brotherhood of the Maw. In an attempt to preserve their culture (no true written form of Shi'idese exists, with stories and traditions being passed down orally from generation to generation), Inanna Yomin has turned her writing career toward recording Shi'ido customs and practices from across Lao-mon. This is the first of many volumes dedicated to preserving her homeworld and people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom