Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private School is back in session

Be careful what you wish for.

IT'S ALWAYS DARKEST BEFORE THE DAWN...

53950.gif

"ELOAH" (Primary - Long Handle)

"ELOHAI" (Secondary - Long Handle)
Starship: Starlight Sentinel, (Dilorian in cargo bay)
Companion: Astromech R01R - "Roller", Pilot droid Mu51c - "Music" (Both on ship at all times)
Tag: Desbre Gensan Desbre Gensan

Quietly, Caltin sat in the breakfast nook section of the dining hall. He was back from Nar Kreeta with a renewed sense of self. Regardless of the past, he was going to move forward and do so the right way. Not the “right” way, not the “Force” way, not the “Light Side” way, not the “Dark Side” way, no, HIS way. That meant that he was going to have a talk with someone he hadn’t seen in quite a while.

His Padawan, Desbre.

He had given her the space that he thought she had needed and would normally wait her out until she felt that she was ready to talk or continue her training. Now? Now, that was unacceptable.

Don’t misunderstand, Caltin was not going to force (no pun intended) the Arkanian to come back and finish her training, but he was going to find out her plan. Masters needed to know their students, what they wanted out of life, what was going on in their heads. It was a failure of the Jedi of the past, too standoffish, it was a failure in many senses now, however, he was not going to play that game anymore. If someone was going to learn from him, now, they were going to get the best he can give them in his own one-of-a-kind way.

Of course, that meant wondering whether she received his message. So, he sat, sipping a cup of caf and waited. He was going to eat, yes, but he would wait for her.

... YET THE DAWN ALWAYS COMES.
ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

Equipment: Simple Jedi Robes, inherited lightsaber, light-filtering lenses, Hush-style comlink, aquata breather, liquid-cable launcher, stim pills, nutrient/food pack​
Shortly after Caltin arrived, so too did Desbre, though at a distance she was almost unrecognizable at first.

Ilum had done much for her and had almost been transformational. After returning back, and Caltin had decided to give her some space she'd taken it as an opportunity and a sign to change focus for a bit. No more training eighteen to twenty hours per day. Sure, she would keep up with some basic, even vigorous exercise. She didn't need to get dull and slow. Some meditations to keep her mind honed and clear. But ultimately, she considered herself on vacation. After five years of endless, exhaustive pushing, it was the healthiest course of action while healing. Even if there was a war on. That nagged at her a little, but for the time being, Des knew that if she didn't rest she would be of no use to anyone. And though part of her chaffed at taking a month off, she did it.

Her Loronar B-7 freighter was finally out of drydock at The Rest, and in better shape than it had ever been, thanks to the skilled Wookies. But more than that, beyond just fixing it up the first time, it was now patently hers and customized. She'd taken to some traveling, visiting a few places in relatively safe space she'd wanted to go. Won a few swoop races. The cash was nice, but she didn't do it for the money. That, she had, after her galavanting around the Unknown Region a couple years ago and selling off all the survey data to the Cartographer's Union. She had enough credits to buy a good chunk of land, build an entire estate, and live comfortably on the interest of the rest in savings investments. Racing and flying were her first loves, and something she'd only minimally indulged in.

Then it was back to The Rest. Very quickly she resumed training. Still intense, but the intensity was different. She had a better work-life balance, but when she trained she pushed harder. It had been noted that the girl was tearing through training droids like flimsiplast. But any who had paid much attention to her would note a change in how she went about it.

As the young woman approached, her head was held higher, her eyes were clearer. The dark circles were gone. Her shoulders were back and square. Each step was sure, confident, and almost languid but ate up the distance. Her spirit seemed easy and light, though her expression might have seemed disagreeable. Each had now had a few rings on them, and besides the charm she'd been given by the Wookiees, there were a few more bracelets on her wrists. in her time since joining the Jedi, none had ever seen her wear any kind of jewelry, but that didn't mean she was without it.

Her uniform design had changed, and while it still had the elements and design of the Jedi... the tabard had shortened some, the belt had switched to a dark blue, along with her boots and cloak. Her hair was pulled back into a braid with an artful neon blue streak in it. A new lightsaber hung at her left hip, but it was likely she still had her previous saber on her.

Fetching a plate of food and a steaming mug of water from the serving line, she made her way back to Caltin. She fixed him with a stare before breaking into a slow but bright smile that lit up her entire face. "Welcome back. You look good," she said brightly, then sat her things down. Into the water went what looked like a dark brown pill, but immediately the liquid turned over, swirling into a dark tea. "You found something at Nar Kreeta, didn't you." Not a question, but also somehow conveying that it wasn't a physical find. Easing into the seat across from him she pushed back her sleeves a little.

Gone was the pain and guilt that had plagued her. Even it seemed much of her anxiety had been burned away. Before she would have approached Caltin with more reserve, wondering if she was in trouble, or what she had done wrong. She certainly wouldn't have deviated so much from 'the standard.' It took work to get her to smile, to burn away the dark clouds over her spirit. Those same clouds were gone and the long winter had passed. The Des before him now was much closer to her old self, before the Jedi, before the loss that drove her from her homeworld. But now tempered and matured by her time among the Jedi and under the slings, arrows, and whips of her own self-flagellation.

"So what's up," she asked casually. "Your message was pretty vague, though I'm happy you're back and safe."
zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

Companion: Astromech R01R - "Roller", Pilot droid Mu51c - "Music" (Both on ship at all times)

Seeing her approach, Caltin did something he hadn’t done in a while. He got up and hugged another person, not named “@Ami Carson.” It more than likely brought on surprise from Des and looks from others, but the big guy didn’t care, he never did. So as he sat back down, he simply answered her.

I feel good.

Taking another sip of his mug before one of the dining hall staff actually brought him breakfast, something he was not looking for or expecting, Caltin looked her over. She looked good as well, she looked like this was the break that she needed, it made her happy, clearly from the way she carried herself. Before he might wonder if some of the past students he had were right and that he was the problem, that was the past and only worth staying there. It was good to see her this way and he wanted to extend it.

Of course, she was wondering why he contacted her, she should, he was vague on purpose. It was time to get back to work.

Simple. It’s time to embrace change, evolve as a person. I did, we’ll get into that as we go, but it’s time you do as well. It’s great to see you this way, it is. Let’s take advantage of it and finish your preparations for Knighthood. If anyone deserves to be one my friend, it’s you.

ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

Equipment: Simple Jedi Robes, inherited lightsaber, light-filtering lenses, Hush-style comlink, aquata breather, liquid-cable launcher, stim pills, nutrient/food pack​
Des returned the hug when given. She'd had the same desire or impulse but held that back. But leaning into it was easy and natural, flowing. "Good, I think I'm ready for the next evolution," she said with a nod. Her eyes practically danced happily and with healthy pride at his words.

She tucked into the light breakfast, mostly some fruits and easy to handle proteins. Sipping her tea, she watched him carefully, then set it down. "So what's the plan?" Some masters were very much "do as I say and don't question." Caltin had never struck her as the type. He'd been patient always and answered her questions when asked. Which she appreciated. Since he'd taken her on he'd become easier and easier to talk to. She supposed that came from learning more about him, but also she'd become less worried about intruding, or bothering him. He projected a hard exterior, but underneath that stony surface... It was much different. She felt more like she was talking with someone she'd known for a long time, all the time.
zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

Taking a bite of the bread that he was given, Caltin put a little butter on it, but not too much. In fact, he was not eating much of the meal in front of him at all, this was something he was not known for, he was known to eat like a Ronto!

You're not wrong.

The question is, what would be the plan? Did he really have one? Did they need one? There was no real rhyme, nor reason to it as she had all of the skills that she needed to enter the trials and succeed at them. She could also stand to learn a few more skills, but who is to say that she could not learn them as a Knight? This was his option, it was not some ridiculous handbook, or path that was supposed to be taken, contrary to popular belief it never was.

Let's get you ready for the trials, go over what is generally needed for them in the way of the mindset. Anything that you need to learn we can complete there. Savy

ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

She shrugged one shoulder "Works for me." Truthfully, she was still picking up skills. But these days she'd felt like she was collecting them just to have. Of course, she practiced with them. She still hadn't managed to make a storm just yet. She'd been practicing what she'd picked up of aerokinesis on Mon Cal, and getting better with it. Trying to make a storm was frustrating, and challenging. It did not discourage or dissuade her though. No, she had a goal to work toward with it.

As part of her training, she'd spent time in the medical wing recently. She'd picked up the how to heal on the trip to Ilum. She understood the bio-science between the damage and what happened in the healing process, and how to fix things. The lightsaber wounds Caltin had her heal had seemed easy. Most wouldn't have understood the level of focus she'd poured into it but also how much she'd operated on doing what seemed right, a partnership with the Force. That was a good thing. Time in the medical ward gave her more complex injuries to work with. Healing a small wound didn't take all that much. Healing a hundred small wounds a day could really take it out of a person. Or a serious trauma would do the job just as well. She hadn't really graduated to full-on heavy traumas yet. She might not ever, but at least she had a solid grasp of the basics and some dedicated practice.

Clearing her throat, she straightened herself a bit. "What Trials are left? I believe it's been mentioned that a few of the things we've been through would count as a Trial or even a few. Unless those are being discounted?" She was matter-of-fact in her query, only wanting to know the state of things, rather than trying to judge it. There was no good or bad. Whatever the answer, she would deal with it, gracefully if she could.

zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

Well, you really have the one left. It's difficult.

Finishing his cup of caff, Caltin sat back for a moment.

I don't know how much weight my opinion carries nowadays, but you've already shown courage numerous times, when you took command, so to speak of your fellow Padawans when slavers tried to take you after killing your group instructor. You should tremendous courage and leadership that day when you and I took down that battlecruiser from the inside as well as another time. I may have been with you, but you showed wisdom, courage, and leadership beyond your years each time. You showed resolve when I was injured, we both were, and you still managed to get the both of us to the rendezvous point after the crash. I would say that you have been on your trial of Insight from before you and I met. You have come through it and fought through your personal pain.

As a server came by and refilled his mug, Caltin shrugged.

The last, the one you must go through is The trial of Insight. Up until now, everything has been pretty straightforward, but it will not always be that way. The best place to go for this is where I went for mine. The cave on Dagobah.

ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

The cave. A chill passed through her as he mentioned it. It was a famous location in Jedi lore and history, but few went to Dagobah. Home to a darkside nexus that had yet to be cleansed. It was kept for a purpose. For exactly this kind of purpose. She'd frozen in place at the mention of it but after a moment she gave a slow but resolved nod.

Facing the cave was different for everyone. Whether it chose to reveal the past, present, or future, as it tormented and challenged those who dared brave it's interior.

A moment later a calm filtered over her, but hard-edged. "Alright. Let's do it," she replied, trying to inject as much steadiness into her words as she could. "When?"
zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

There was the Des' he knew. The nonchalant relaxed attitude was as vibrant as ever. Not a bad thing at all. Yeah, she was concerned but fighting it off into a resolve. That he could appreciate as there was little thing else than to approach the situation head-on. How else would she be able to cross the bridge and come out the other side? It would be difficult for her, but there was little he could do to help. Either she was ready for it or she wasn't, and he was betting on the former. Desbre was more capable than she thought she was, even now with the newfound and well-placed confidence in her.

How about now? Let's finish breakfast and get out of here. I'm getting antsy anyway.

ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

"Damn it. I knew you were gonna say that," she said as she broke out into a grin. "Alright then. We taking your ship or mine?" She began to pick up the pace in eating. Not that she was in a rush, or over-eager. Better to get a move on. Her mind went back to Tol Amn for a moment, and the other situations he'd mentioned. Those had always seemed so straight-forward to her. Survive. Keep others alive as best you can. Don't leave anybody behind. This... The closest she'd come, she supposed, was Ilum. And facing some of darkest and most painful moments already. She'd put that bottle to her head and pulled the trigger after all, trying to drink herself to death. Either this would be worse... or it would be no worse than looking into the mirror now.​
zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

Mine. You haven't seen my new one (*in the spoiler) and there's more to meet our needs. Meet me at my landing pad in an hour. Pack for rain.

Finishing his meal and heading right for the landing pad after they went their separate ways, the big guy started the pre-flight walkaround of his ship. It wouldn't take long as the ship was in top shape, but it still had to be done.

ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

Equipment: Simple Jedi Robes, personal lightsaber, inherited lightsaber, light-filtering lenses, Hush-style comlink, aquata breather, liquid-cable launcher, stim pills, nutrient/food pack, backpack w/ various supplies​
Desbre nodded, then went to finish the last of her food and tea, then cleaned up and headed out. Within half an hour she was crossing the tarmac with a backpack. It looked loaded, but not overloaded. Her dark lenses were on, shielding her from the bright light of Kashyyk's sun. The bracelets were gone, replaced with thick bands around her wrists, and one around her neck. They didn't look like they would impede her, but also seemed functional rather than decorative. She'd changed out of her soft boots into ones more appropriate to rugged terrain and looked like they would repel water. In one hand she carried the large screened datapad she always seemed to bring whenever leaving the Wookiee homeworld behind.

Her gaze was focused on the ship crouched defiantly on the landing pad. The razor-toothed maw painted on the front gave it a predatory, dangerous look and judging by its layout from what she could see, it looked fast, maneuverable, and almost over-gunned. She let out a low whistle when she was close enough to be heard. "This makes my little freighter look like a bath toy," she said reaching out to caress one landing strut as she passed it.
zJxNdnE.png

Last edited:

53950.gif

He shrugged with a bit of a wry smile at her whistle. Clearly, she admired the ship, and while that was not at all the reason he bought it, he liked the looks that it brought. It was easy to read her thoughts since he had been to the WellSpring of Life, the "empathy" part was different, and he didn't actually "read" thoughts, but he knew her well enough to tell what she was thinking, or at least a reasonable facsimile.

The ship was indeed fun to not only fly but ride in, he hadn't really put her through her paces yet, and now was as good a time as any.

Yeah, she gets the done. I needed the legroom.

Truth is, as great a ship as the original designation is, it was just too packed for his needs.

The first room on the left is yours. The term security code is 04121973, feel free and change it to whatever you want. No one else will go in there.

ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

Equipment: Simple Jedi Robes, personal lightsaber, inherited lightsaber, light-filtering lenses, Hush-style comlink, aquata breather, liquid-cable launcher, stim pills, nutrient/food pack​
Des took a moment to break the code into chunks as he gave it to her and nodded. "I'm not particularly worried about that. It's just us and it's not like I have anything worthy of keeping locked up except my weapons, and those are on me at all times." She didn't keep anything sensitive in her stuff, as far as the Jedi went. Of course, her accounts were secured. If people really wanted a gander at her art, they were on the Comport, or in other places on the Holonet.

Making her way inside, she ambled off to drop her pack in the room he'd offered, tossing it onto the bed. The comment about customizing it made her curious. As far as she knew, she wasn't going to be there that long. She hadn't even put anything in place in the dorm she sometimes used on site. Even her freighter, which she really ought to name, had never shown much of a personal aesthetic, save for hanging art pieces, and the semi messy nature of a bunch of micro droids ambling around her room. On this ship though, she probably would leave it as-is. Unless she wound up here more than a couple weeks.
zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

Fair enough.

He wasn't going to push, if she didn't want to make herself at home, that was fine, the room was hers as far as he was concerned. Either way, they were still going to get ready and take off, Caltin punched in the code for the droidbrain to read that all was clear for takeoff as he stepped onto the ship himself. As smooth as Corellian silk the 'Sentinel' rose into the stratosphere. Caltin was busy installing the brain of his old astromech bb-55 or "bb's" as he called it which ironically had the brain of his first astromech R2-T3. One of the amenities of the ship he was glad to have put in was an actual, stocked galley, not just a few accouterments. It allowed the big guy to make some caf as he saw Des in her room.

The room is yours as long as you and I are associated. Feel free and make it so.

ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

At his declaration, she gave a single slow nod. The offer was generous. He had the room, of course. Suspicion and wariness drifted like dust motes in a sunbeam across her through the Force. But it was flavored differently than before. Instead of shrinking away, came with a mixture of independence, defensiveness, but also curiosity. It was free of the second-guessing of old, or feelings of guilt, of being an impostor, like she didn't belong, or wasn't really worthy of such a thing.

She didn't feel a need for it.

After a moment she shook it off. There was no sense of deception from Caltin, that taking his offer and making the space hers was somehow a trap. Nor was he trying to entrap or entangle her. If anything, he offered because he cared, wanted her to have her own space, privacy, security. They were basic needs for most anyone. She let out a sigh and relaxed.

People being nice to her was still a difficult spot, it seemed. Back home she'd been a second-class citizen, and a de-facto slave, really. There is no such thing as a free lunch. If someone is offering you something without a cost, then you are the product. Almost everyone had an ulterior motive, and noone ever said what they really meant. Which meant everything was suspect. If someone offered you a nice drink... what did they expect you to do for them, to them, in a back room?

Caltin wasn't like that.

It also seemed like she still had trust issues with people. Largely because of where she'd spent most of her life. Though several let-downs among the Jedi had not helped.

Chewing her bottom lip briefly, she picked at the side of her uniform pants subconsciously as she shrank in a little. Straightening up, she nodded again,. "Alright, I'll think about it. But there's no time right now, as we're leaving. Unless one of the droids wants to help with painting, and we have appropriate pigments in the right amount. Or you have color-shifting bulkheads in this thing?"

zJxNdnE.png

Funny you should say.

Walking over the closet next to her, he opened up the door to reveal towels and bedding.

I don't.

Patting her on the shoulder as he laughed.

Relax, kid, I'm just messing with you. We have a ways to go before we get to Dagobah, do you have any questions to ask me? Anything to address before we get there?

He asked sitting down at the table.

55491.gif

Moving over to the storage bin, she sorted through what was available and pulled free a dark purple set and tossed them onto the bed, then followed with her pack. She'd handle setting that up later. As he called to her from one of the common areas she turned to regard him, her silver-white gaze almost inscrutable for a moment. But it wasn't hard to see the gears turning in her head, processing.

Standing there in silence, she didn't seem to come up with anything off the top of her head. Then... a sigh escaped her, a small one. "I've a few," she said, almost stalking her way closer, only to sit down opposite of him. "A while back, before you and I linked up, I was attending a sort of discussion on Commenor with Master Naetre." She rubbed her wrapped hands together as though they were cold, but slowly.

"While it was eye-opening, I feel like I still have no discernible direction within the Jedi." She chewed her lower lip for a moment. "It wouldn't be a stretch to join the starfighter corps and focus on becoming a Jedi Ace. I passed basic flight with flying colors and advanced flight maneuvers, too." Meaning she was combat-rated. If he checked the Comport for her prior records, she was a natural. "As I told Master Naetre, I'm not sure I can do the most good there. I have some exploration experience through working with the ExploraCorps and the Universal Cartographers. But I think I'm suited for something more direct in terms of service. The Circle of Artisans caught my attention too. I'm pretty good with machines and tech. I've already invented a system we can use to help deal with the Bryn'adul on the ground. But I think I would only tangentially associate with them."

"I feel like a puzzle piece that doesn't exactly fit anywhere. I wouldn't consider myself strictly a guardian. Or a consular. I don't think I have the same mentality as any of the Sentinels. I'm not much of a temple guard. I think, anyway. So my question is, what is your assessment, and how exactly to you find your way forward?"

zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

Well, he did ask. One thing was for certain. it was nice to see her a little more confident in herself. Caltin had always felt that Desbre was better than she thought she was, not a sense of pride, but a view of her future. Her past was a viable reason for her feelings, but being able to accept them was important for her, it was nice to see that she was understanding that. Of course, this was new, the feeling of being lost, looking for acceptance, that was surprising, but it was actually easy, especially since he felt this way himself once.

Let me begin with the fact that I have always envisioned you as a Sentinel, you do indeed have the mentality, as well as the skill-set. That aside though, you're not required to choose an archetype, it comes to you. Des, I originally pictured myself as a Sentinel. I thought that I was a good investigator and wanted to learn all I could. Well, you see how that worked out.

He actually chuckled at the thought, all of those memories, all of those classes.

Anyway, the point is, you're only required to grow as a person. The rest will come to you when it does.

ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

Des thought about it for a moment, and what she knew of the Sentinels, their ideology, and how they worked, then nodded. "You may be right. And that may come about from my own history. I love learning all I can about the Force, but I feel as though I lean more to practical application, than plumbing into the deep mysteries. Or at least that's what I've been doing. But I also love the physical skills I've picked up through my years of training." A small smile flashed across her face. "I tend to go with the flow, and use whatever I have on hand."

The young woman lapsed into contemplative, but easy silence then shrugged. "And there are a lot of things in the galaxy I would see fixed, or made better. When we were dealing with the Kastolar Sector Raiders, it felt good, mostly. And mostly like the right thing to do. Some things could have played out better. But I'd do it again, I think." Her expression turned tinged with a little sadness, echoed gently through the force. The loss of life had been regrettable, but the locals were so much better off.

"As for growth," she said, turning her gaze back to him. That same smile turned slightly mischievous. "I'd like to think I've grown a lot, compared to where I was before I came to the Jedi." True, there were many things that were the same and would never go away. Her love of flying and racing, for instance. But her general sense of discipline and self-control was far greater. She'd been through a lot of painful moments and come away much stronger. Much of her old rebellious streak had faded. Though for the right reasons it could easily re-ignite. "But that's a journey that never ends. i guess we're gonna find out whether that growth is enough, aren't we." Dagobah. The Cave. The test.
zJxNdnE.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom