Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private School is back in session

Be careful what you wish for.

IT'S ALWAYS DARKEST BEFORE THE DAWN...

53950.gif

"ELOAH" (Primary - Long Handle)

"ELOHAI" (Secondary - Long Handle)
Starship: Starlight Sentinel, (Dilorian in cargo bay)
Companion: Astromech R01R - "Roller", Pilot droid Mu51c - "Music" (Both on ship at all times)
Tag: Desbre Gensan Desbre Gensan

My friend, you have grown since the last time you and I saw each other.

He wasn't trying to be reassuring, he was being blunt. Desbre has always been her own worst enemy and that really was the only thing holding her back. This wasn't the Bantha Dung he went through about his emotions when he was in her place, no, she had a handle on them, this was about her reading about how to make a chrono, when all she really needed was the time. This reminded Caltin of Master Tarkin, she wanted more and more to be able to explain the galaxy when all he wanted was to learn from her and who she was. This was never meant to disrespect her, but because he was not really worried about understanding the meaning of a grapefruit, he simply wanted to learn what it meant to be a Jedi.

You said that you see things you want to be fixed. In what manner? Are you sure that they would need to be? Just because we do not agree with a method, that does not make it wrong if it is accepted by others. There was a time when slavery was perfectly legal across the galaxy as long as certain regulations were met.

Those were not good times from what he remembered, especially when laws were passed to prohibit such actions. That made him sick to his stomach on reading it, but he also read about those who were legitimate in their trade, and actually treated their slaves with a modicum of respect. He has even defended Sith against Jedi in the past depending on the circumstances. It was all a matter of perspective.

... YET THE DAWN ALWAYS COMES.
ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

The comment about how much she’d grown since the last time they’d seen each other drew a small smile but underneath it was a ray of delight. he was right, of course. There’d been a lot of healing and growth in that short time since Ilum. Vacation had been good for her too, now that she would actually allow herself to take the time off. That she’d even felt she could or should spoke volumes.

Though as he continued, her expression changed, becoming a neutral mask. The girl had a pretty decent sabaac face. Especially compared to the rapidly-building arctic anger that rose within. A half dozen different, acidic responses passed over her mind. But ... calm returned as she turned his words over, examining them from many angles.

When she spoke, it was measured and tight. “There are things I cannot abide by. Indentured servitude but with respectful treatment. Sure. There was an agreement in place. But what I cannot abide by is the willful oppression and subjugation of innocent people. Keeping a population down based on genetic differences. People shouldn’t be oppressed because of the color of their skin, the shape of their ears, the number of fingers they have. Because they were altered and manufactured. That doesn’t make them any less a person. Or any less deserving of basic rights and privileges.

She fixed him in a hard gaze, tapping her oval nails on the tabletop lightly. “I don’t care whether it’s Human supremacists or Arkanian purists. People like the Galactic Empire and the First Order hundreds of years ago. I can’t abide by xenocidal destroyers and usurpers like the Yyuzhan Vong or the Bryn’adul either. The people of the galaxy deserve to live free, and without fear of oppression, slavery. Being used and abused for the gain of others, whether corporation or criminal.

There are thousands of my people back home treated just like this. I’m one of the lucky ones that I got off the planet, and I made it this far in my training. And I can’t just sit on that kind of luck and hard work. And not just for my people. But I do intend to pay it forward, where I can. And I can’t believe that you would choose any less, or to sit idly by while these things happen.” Des realized by then she had gone from sitting to standing, leaned over the table, both hands spread wide. Though her voice remained quiet, her throat felt tight, almost like she had been. A moment later she dropped back into her seat with a small bounce, bowing her head. “I’m sorry, Master. I... guess I just feel very strongly about it,” she said, swallowing a lump in her throat.

The last thing she needed was to be almost yelling at someone who she viewed as a great friend and teacher. Guilt rolled off of her then as she reached up lightly and wiped at the corner of one eye and cleared her throat. She’d left behind a lot of good people back home. But more than that, there were millions if not billions of others out there, just like them. The Kastolar sector was no different. Those people had been kept under the boot of fear and oppression by pirates until the Silver Jedi had taken action.

The implication that he was okay with people being treated like that hit a nerve. But she knew better. If he condoned that, they wouldn’t have been on those raids. They wouldn’t have brought so many criminals to justice. Good men and women wouldn’t have made the ultimate sacrifice. But it was impossible to save everyone. And not everyone needs or wants saving.

In the end, Caltin wasn’t what had her standing up in the face of the matter. Based on all she knew, he agreed. At least she hoped that held true.
zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

Companion: Astromech R01R - "Roller", Pilot droid Mu51c - "Music" (Both on ship at all times)

He didn't say anything.

He didn't react.

He just sat there and listened.

There was nothing wrong with having beliefs, even being (to an extent) passionate about them, and frankly, Desbre was more than entitled to hers. So he let her get out what she needed to. The big guy had absolutely no doubt that the Arkanian would be her own censor so there was no reason for him to be. There was nothing that she was saying that was over the top or out of line and he could respect that from her. Caltin had an issue with how she always seemed to withdraw at certain points because it was clear that there were things that she held back.

It did not appear though, that this was one of those times, as Des lit into him (not him personally, but just as a sounding board) about her feelings towards those who would enslave others or those who would take lives so unceremoniously. It was respectable that the fire that she had in her eyes was consistent with those ready for their trials, but there was more to her than the average Padawan in that position. She had the personal upbringing and background where he could see why she had the ideals that she did. When she winced and backed off on her position, was finally when the big guy needed to say something.

You are explaining your position, you are speaking on your own personal experience. Therefore you have absolutely no reason to apologize to me. Yes, be careful about those feelings, don't let them overcome you, especially in that cave. Motivate you? Sure, that can be done, but you are the only one who knows how you can do that.

ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

Des nodded, head still bowed some. "I should have more control than that," she explained quietly. "And I don't like getting upset or worked up like that. I don't like who I turn into when I get like that. And with being a Jedi, I suppose I have to be even more mindful." Her gaze finally rose, but centered on his chest for a few seconds before finally meeting his. "I don't get worked up about much, and I didn't realize I felt that intensely about it until now. Well, some of it." She shrugged one shoulder as she stuffed her hands into her lap. "I've never liked bullies. Back home I laid more than one jerk out when they were being crappy to other kids." She shrugged once more, then smiled as a memory came flooding back to her when she'd laid out Artan, a boy about sixteen that had been harassing some of the others. They'd been in front of her grandmother's house. Her house.. when she'd knocked him off his feet with a right cross. He'd high-tailed it out of there. Karlize, her grandmother, had seen the exchange. She'd only smiled, brought Des in, and tended to her somewhat busted right hand. Karlize had admonished her about fighting and that it wasn't good. But if she had to fight, it should be for the right reason, and if she had to... win.

Her hand ached abominably for a moment at the memory but the smile didn't fade even as she rubbed her fingers and knuckles below the table. Along with it was an aching hole where her grandmother used to be, but ... it wasn't so bad now. She could manage it without too much problem.

"I would like to go back home and do what I can for the Offshoots, like myself. I'm not sure how well that would work. Whether it would make waves with the Galactic Alliance Jedi in orbit, or... what. And then there are jerks like Vaago and Valco. And a bunch of other criminal syndicates. Is my time even well spent, going home? When there are worse situations out there I might be able to do something about them?"

Idly she rested her elbows on the table, and then rested her chin in the palm of her left hand, looking up at the mountain of a man she called Master and friend. "Or am I just putting too much pressure on myself again?"

There wasn't so much wallowing as she'd once gone through. Instead, she was curious, questioning, hopeful, mixed with the smaller pains of old grief and faded homesickness. She still wanted to do the most she possibly could to help others, even if that meant putting her personal agendas aside.
zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

Once again, Des was proving that he was right to take her on as his Padawan. She was just like him... except for... well... you know.

Dude...

Point made. Anyway. All he could do when it came to what she had to say was respond in reverse. She was going through and feeling the exact same emotions and feelings that he did at the time. Yes, you are indeed putting too much pressure on yourself. You know why?

He sat back.

You are getting to the point where you are ready for your trials, and all of the sudden, the feelings are impacting you. Deep down you are beginning to realize the responsibility that comes with the title "Jedi Knight". There is nothing wrong with what you are doing and what you are feeling. However, I will have to keep you from going "home". We are. I'm not letting you go it alone, I'm going with you. As for getting upset? Yeah, control yourself, but if you feel like you're going to get mad... get mad.

He laughed.

You've read the holo-records on me. How mad did... do I get?

ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

"I do think that's one of the failings of the Jedi of the Old Republic and after the Ruusan Reformation," she said as she straightened up. "Younglings were taught to suppress emotion, and never really developed the skills to deal with it. Taking the Code very literally. Yet... Anger can be useful, and even healthy. The trick is to keep it in check. Control it, don't let it control you. Same goes for most other emotional states. It's why a lot of Sith turn into walking ragemonsters, because they don't have that control. They turn into a hammer and everything looks like something that must be smashed or pounded into submission." She paused for a moment. "The trouble for Jedi is temptation. Once you start to go dark.. the dark starts to use you. ... It's like a drug, and a lot of them are like addicts." As that thought came to her she shuddered in a way that ran right to her soul. Having been in that boat before, the idea of falling into that kind of black pit, only this time revolving around the Dark Side and it's use filled her gut with ice. What kinds of atrocities could she justify and carry out to herself, thinking her cause was righteous when it wasn't?

At his question about his record, she looked back up to him. "A one-man wrecking crew would be putting it mildly," she answered.
zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

See, you're starting to really get it. If you have read the old Jedi Tenets, the very first one reads:

"Emotions are unavoidable, but lessons may be learned from the feeling of these emotions. However, emotions of such strength as to cause a Jedi to act or behave in a manner different from rational thought are dangerous, and must be avoided at all costs for a Jedi to truly master the Force."

Over at the tea maker, he refilled their cups and brought them back over before sitting down.

If you're going to get mad, get mad, just don't let it overcome you. If you ask me, both sides really get it wrong. There is no "Light" or "Dark" side, just the choices we make. That's my opinion though. I do what I do because I have to be able to look at myself in the mirror.

ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

Desbre's pale brow furrowed and a frown tugged at the corner of her lips for a moment as she considered his words. Historically there were arguments to and for his ideology. Uncertainty and hesitation rolled off of her. She wasn't sure where she stood on that particular matter. But as someone who tended to view the Force as a partnership, a silent but constant companion... things weren't always black and white. But there were records of creatures and beings that were unequivocally Dark Side. The Hive Crisis came to mind. That had changed the minds of many a Jedi during Master Skywalker's time.

And studying the original Je'dai from Tython seemed to refute that as well. But those same Je'dai embraced balance. And balance was indeed necessary. It still didn't provide her any more solidified footing on the internal debate, but that was good. Maybe this trip would give more perspective on the matter.

The last part though, she agreed with whole-heartedly. "I know what you mean. The mirror test has probably been my other biggest guide. One of the reasons I've pushed so hard. If I wasn't let out into the field, the least I could do was sweat as hard as possible for when the day comes that I do get sent out to do the work. To do all I can to the best of my ability. I don't ever want to have to say I could have done more, looking back."

But would she ever feel like she'd done everything possible? She doubted it. There was always more to learn, one more thing to try, one more life to save.
zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

One of his new "abilities" was a difference in how he read people, oddly, Caltin was more empathic now, not some expert in it but he could read her doubt. It would make trouble for her, but she would be able to push through it, the Padawan was a strong-willed Arkanian and is already a fine representative of the Jedi. He would tell her this directly, but he had previously, several times, it would just be words at this point. The unnerving " drop out of hyperspace made him stand.

Alright, it looks like we're entering the system, so I'm going to tell you now. When we get to the cave, you are going to be tested in ways you have never imagined before. Your will, your beliefs, your heart, everything about you will be pushed. You might fail, but if you make it, you will grow beyond your imagination and learn so much about yourself. I did.

When the ship landed, and they disembarked, the walk was short because they were not that far from the cave. Caltin was trying to remember the exact location, telling her about his first trek here, how he fell in two of the ponds, even pointing them out. It was when he met eyes with one of the "indigenous life" that the big guy couldn't help but smile.

There you are.

The small green pointy-eared visage was clearly recognizable as "he" looked up. "Yes, here I am. Nowhere else, I would be."

Still "observing"?

"Always observing, I am. Surprised to see you though, I am. Long time, it has been."

He nodded.

It has.

Turning to Desbre, he simply shook his head.

It's not who you think it is, just a manifestation from the cave. I'm not going to confiscate anything from you, but I will tell you that you do not need anything but yourself when you go in there. Are you ready?

ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

Equipment: Simple Jedi Robes
Des noticed their connection was different now. Since their short stint away, he'd changed. But in the time they spent chatting, she could feel the difference. He was more nuanced. There were fewer barriers or boundaries, as far as connecting went. it felt as natural as breathing almost. There was still distance there, but a healthy amount. She could feel his silent assurance that she was capable... and more than capable than she guessed. She'd seen the analytics on the Comport, of course. But things could look great on paper, and turn out to be terrible in the real world. But he had seen first hand. She took it as high praise. At the same time, she knew she didn't need it so much, but it was still nice to have.

When the ship dropped back to real space with a slight lurch she cast her gaze about.
"Alright, it looks like we're entering the system, so I'm going to tell you now. When we get to the cave, you are going to be tested in ways you have never imagined before. Your will, your beliefs, your heart, everything about you will be pushed. You might fail, but if you make it, you will grow beyond your imagination and learn so much about yourself. I did."
Anxiety rose within, her stomach churning and knotting. Her chest trembled inside for a moment, but she forced herself to take a deep breath, touching on the Force and exhaling that nervous energy. All of her past accomplishments came to mind. Including Jedha where she'd been surrounded by an army of Sith and came out without a scratch. That familiar sensation of ten kilos of life packed in a five-kilo box, warm sunshine on her back, her grandmother's smile, flying her favorite swoop at top speed a meter off the deck, and so many more sensations came to her. The Force was with her. She was one with the Force. High-riding shoulders lowered as the tension eased.

The only thing that goes with you into the cave is what you bring with you.

That voice, again. Caltin had said the same thing. And she'd heard the same words passed down from Master Skywalker, recounting his time on Dagobah in the historical record.

If I go in there in this state of mind, I'm screwed, Des thought. She gave Caltin a nod of acknowledgment. "Well, as long as I don't die." A wry grin tugged at the corners of her lips. "But if I get killed, I guess I'll just have to walk it off." Jokes aside, the air around her lightened some.
It's not who you think it is, just a manifestation from the cave. I'm not going to confiscate anything from you, but I will tell you that you do not need anything but yourself when you go in there. Are you ready?

Des found herself shivering in the abysmal cold like she had been plunged into water so cold it should have frozen solid in seconds. But Caltin seemed fine in this place. Her breath did not fog. She checked her cooling units. They were working normally. It was then that it clicked. The Dark Side permeated everything. It was the same soul-biting cold Luke had experienced and Master Yoda had lived in the shadow of for decades.

Setting her jaw, Des reached up and pulled the band from around her neck and then her wrists. Determination flooded off of her like a shield. Was a shield as the fortress of her mind snapped into place, and one could almost feel a barrier form around her. The insidious cold snapped, shattering and burning away into ash.

At Caltin's question, a moment before she would have hesitated. She would have answered, that no, she wasn't ready. But now as she looked up to him, her gray-white gaze was steady. Reaching down to her waist, she pulled off her belt with her gear on it and simply let it drop to the soggy ground. They were the tools of her trade, sure. But they only helped do the job. Her real ally was the Force, and all she'd been through. All the pain, the anguish, depression, despair, determination, and what seemed like a lifetime of beyond-grueling hard work and training.

"See you soon."

Turning away she began making her way forward, ignoring the apparition. And trying to ignore the knot welling up in her throat. The place reminded her of Tol Amn. This felt like another death march. Except... This was just a test. And while the Cave was steeped in the Dark Side, she shouldn't be in any physical danger. This place could even help her.

Yet, it felt like she might not be coming back.

Then again, that might also be true from a certain point of view. The Des that came out could be very different than the one going in now. And was that so bad? She'd already made a few transformations. And she'd only grown in the process.

Coming to the base of the tree, she could barely make out the opening to the interior, so obscured with vines and roots. Reaching out one hand, with a small touch of the Force, she parted them, encouraging them to move aside. "Here we go," she said, taking one last breath of the dank, musty and humid swamp air. Inching her way forward, she slipped down and in.

zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

I have faith in you, kid.

Caltin simply waited outside, he could go no further, but he could indeed offer some sincere encouragement. "If it is your destiny"... "if the Force wills it"? Ronto excrement, everyone needs a little encouragement every now and then. That is why Caltin always annoyed the Council as he never followed along with that way of thinking. That was all he could do right now though, and focus on her in there for as long as he could.

Inside, Desbre would be met with a swamp, one fairly familiar to her, there was a crash site, Master Vanagor was with her. but there were others. The fallen members of Omega Squad, the original Michael, the original Gabriel, Pol, and Pietr. Slowly they rose from the swamps where they fell, the fatal wounds prevalent and fresh. Vanagor looked to be out of it, but the undead wasn't.

"You left us to die."

"We were protecting you, why didn't you protect us?"

"We could have all survived if not for you..."

They were slowly but definitively approaching.

ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

She'd barely made it past the entrance when the space opened up. She found herself in that hellish swamp. turning she glanced back. The path was gone. Facing forward once more, she spied Master Vanagor, unconscious but breathing near the crash site. And the lost members of Omega Squad closing in, looking as ragged and torn as ever. She'd been back here dozens of times. Only this time it wasn't a memory or a dream, but the words were still the same.

The accusations were white-hot daggers, but she didn't flinch from their lifeless gazes. "I left nobody behind," she declared. "And I could only be in so many places at once." Not being able to do more still ate at her. "You were outnumbered. We were outnumbered. Not all of us were making it back." Her expression fell for a moment. "I protected as much as I could, as much was within my power."

After a moment her gaze rose to meet those empty stares. She strode forward to meet them. Tol Amn had taught her a lot, along with many other recent events. Hard lessons and icy cold doses of reality. "I wish you boys had made it, but that day we would have lost a lot more if I hadn't been there. More of your brothers would have passed on." She'd examined things every which way, played the "what if" game so many times. But it was a cold calculus. Until now she'd never given it voice, but conviction flowed from her as she found her voice. She'd done the best that she could, that she knew how.

Maybe it wasn't perfect. Maybe it wasn't even 'good enough' to some people's standards. But that day would have been worse for the Omegas and more, if not for the efforts she'd put forth, along with Master Vanagor.

zJxNdnE.png

Within seconds, they disappeared only for Arkanians to appear, childhood friends of hers, acquaintances all sold into slavery. Ones she had lost over time. They were all looking at her, sadness and disappointment ruling the day. There was no death, only sorrow, and pain as slave collars adorned their bodies in some way shape or form.

"You left us..."

"Where did you go?"

"We thought we could count on you."

"We're dying because of you..."

"You're not here..."

"Where were you when we needed you?"

Desbre Gensan Desbre Gensan

Last edited:

55491.gif

Most offshoots weren't collared, chipped, and chained. They were second-class citizens, getting the worst jobs, toughest jobs, most dangerous jobs, for nearly nothing. If they got any work at all. Many were homeless or near it, subsisting on basic assistance. Access to healthcare was limited at best. Oh, but drugs, and other vices were always cheap. It was a series of systemic problems that kept her people in the gutter, unable to do anything but suffer and try to claw their way out, only to get dragged back down.

She was lucky to have ever made it out, really.

Though some of her people were bound. But this was a nightmare version. A fever dream.

Des closed her eyes, hands balling into fists at her side so hard they ached and her palms bled a little. She opened her mouth as if to speak, to protest, but the words died on her lips, tasting like ash. Yes, she'd left. But she thought she was running toward something better.

But was she really? Or was she just running away?

"You left us behind." The voice was all too familiar. Memories flooded back of nights spent skin to skin, tangled together in sheets, wishing the world outside didn't exist. Normally silky sweet, Elidea's voice was dripping with disgust. "You left me. So much for love."

"Ellie," Des cried, her voice cracking a little, her throat dry as the deserts of Deneba. The look on Ellie's face, her words took the breath out of her and her legs buckled as though she'd been physically struck. After a moment she straightened and rolled her shoulders. Determination flared within her. "Yes. I left. And I did leave you. I know how badly you wanted to come with me. But there was no place for you where I was going. Or so I thought. I was foolish. And perhaps selfish." She grimaced. Elidea would have been better off serving in the Enclave as a caretaker or other non-Jedi personnel. Rather than being left in the gutter.

"You never really loved me. I was just a distraction for you from all the shit in your life," Elidea hissed, her face twisted into a sneer. She stalked ever closer. Hostility radiated off of her like a burning sun.

Des took a step back. "That's not true." She paused. "Okay, maybe partially true. You were a distraction, yes. But I ..." Her protests died away on her lips again. She'd never seen a future with Elidea. But she hadn't really looked for a future, not at the time. "I did love you."

"No, you just loved the distraction."
"Maybe. But I still cared for you."
"Sure you did."

Des balled her fists once more. "Did you forget, you were the one who helped me fix up my ship? The whole team did. You guys helped me."

"Because we believed in you," Elidea shouted, her voice echoing off the trees. "Oh, I'll be back, I promise," the apparition mocked in rather eerily close facsimile of Desbre's silvery voice. "You left us all to rot."

"I wanted to come back. So bad. I wanted to make everyone proud. You. Hanna. Ledos. Mom. Dad," Des said, shaking her head as her vision turned watery. "I pushed and pushed and pushed. Trying to get to where I could come home." Her voice cracked on the tail end.

"Want in one hand, crap in the other. See which one fills up faster. Did you push? Or were you just marking time?"

To hell with you, Des snapped internally. "If you had any idea what I went through, Ellie, you wouldn't ask me that," she said, wiping her face with one hand in frustration.

"What about what I went through? You didn't see it or chose not to see it, being in tears while helping scrape together that rust-bucket of a ship. How I broke down after you abandoned me. I was so alone," Elidea's apparition accused, stalking, pacing around Desbre.

"I was dealing with the same things," Des countered. "Only I lost my entire world. And yeah, I probably could have stayed. Gramps only wanted me out of his house. But he gave me a new direction. A chance at a better life. The discipline he wanted for me, sure. But I took it because the alternative was... death. Death of the spirit, of mind, and then of body. I'd have been dead of an overdose inside of a year. Probably. Or I would have been splattered in the tunnels in another race. Leaving saved my life. And I hoped that I could save all of you in the process. I failed in that regard. I didn't just run away. I ran so I could get help, and maybe bring something resembling hope back."

She was advancing on Ellie now. Anger rose within her, only fueling her resolve, but not overriding her senses. . "And it was probably foolish and naive of me to think that. I can't save everyone. Back then I couldn't save anyone. Not my grandmother. Not my parents. Nobody but myself. But I've more than made up for the red in my ledger. I've fought, suffered, and bled to make better lives for people I've never even met. And every single day I think of the sacrifices I had to make. The decisions that brought me where I am. I can't fix the past. But I don't have to live in it either."

Punctuating her words, a pulse wave of energy rippled off of her, almost invisible. It wasn't meant to be dangerous and wasn't even intentional. It was a subconscious use of the Force, a repulsion matching her refuting the words leveled against her. She stood there, hands at her sides loosening. Huh, she thought. Her skin was cold, gooseflesh raised, but it was as though a layer of weight had come off her, a release of negative energy that had piled on her for years. She really could and should stop living in the past. It wasn't serving her, and it was ancient history now. Letting go was not a sin or a crime, even if it was of the people you loved and cared for.

zJxNdnE.png

Desbre Gensan Desbre Gensan

As the visages disappeared, only one rose from the ether. It was Master Vanagor himself.

Dwayne-Johnson-as-Black-Adam-art.jpg

Clearly, he looked nothing like the big guy standing outside the cave. His eyes orange, his demeanor, a scowl, even more than normal. He looked like he wanted to hurt anything or anyone that stepped too close.

What will it take, Desbre? I try to get through to you, I try to talk you up but every time we meet it is starting from square one. You are all but impossible to teach. I am losing what little patience I have towards you. Or do you have more of your past to freak out about?

55491.gif

Master Vanagor seemed to tower over her against the darkened skies. For a moment she seemed tiny and insignificant in front of him. His words stung like whips welting and parting flesh. Tears welled up, turning her vision watery for a moment. Pain and anger swirled together. I'm sorry I'm such a disappointment, Master Maybe you should just kill me. Maybe you should just leave like everybody else, she thought bitterly. Was any of that true? Did she really feel that way?

She shook her head and closed her eyes, freeing hot tears to flow down her face. Instead of wiping them away, she left them. Calm settled over her once more. Her shoulders began to drop, but not in defeat, simply relaxing as she finally opened her eyes slowly. "There will always be painful things that come up in my past," she said, fixing his fiery gaze in her own. "But every day I move forward. I'm a little better today than I was yesterday. And tomorrow will be better than today." One foot in front of the other she drew closer. And while he still towered over her, she took in more strength and determination. "You've already helped me through so much, and shown me so much. It's never been starting over. And I would continue to learn from you, work with you. But if you feel that I'm too much trouble, too much of a burden, the door is that way." She jerked her thumb over her shoulder. Part of her insides churned, just for a moment, at speaking to her teacher, Master, and friend... perhaps even family, in a way. But nobody else was going to stand up for her.

More than that, he wasn't the sole source of knowledge within the Jedi. Or even the galaxy itself. She would continue to grow on her own. She had her own journey ahead, and others might walk with her, but in truth, her relationship with the Force and personal journey were hers alone. Inclining her chin, she gave the fearful apparition a small, knowing smile. "I'll always listen though. And though I stumble, I find my way forward. Don't give up hope on me yet. It'll be worth it. I promise." In truth, she was grateful for everything he'd shown her, said to her. Every adventure they'd gone on so far. Every ache and pain, physical and emotional. The wins and losses. He'd helped her so much, and helped her move forward, even with her mistakes, and slippery footing.

zJxNdnE.png

He disappeared, but the next visage was one of her grandparents.

"You've grown up, dear."

"So strong-willed. Such a heroine."

"It's time to come home, dear. You've done enough."

"Come be with your family. "

"This is enough. You're going to have to come home."

55491.gif

The words were what she'd wanted to hear for so long. Seeing the faces of her grandmother again and grandfather. His weathered features seemed softened now, free of the anger and judgment, even burning loathing she'd seen. Karlize's bright smile warmed her like sunshine. Her chest ached like a spear had rammed through it, and once more her vision turned watery in a mixture of relief and fresh pain, like scrubbing infected wounds, cleaning out gunk and dead tissue. It always hurt, but always would be better.

Des pursed her lips as she stepped closer. "Yes, I've done a lot of growing up. I was, but not in ways you always knew or understood," she said. any other time it might have been a counter-accusation almost. But her words were gentle and cool like a refreshing mountain stream. "And I was always strong-willed," she said with a wry smile, focusing on the apparition of her grandfather. "And that was why you couldn't keep me under your thumb. Drove you crazy too." He opened his mouth to say something, to protest, but she cut him off gently. "No, I know, you were just trying to look out for me, and do what you thought was best, and what you thought I needed." He lapsed back into silence. Reaching out she patted his shoulder, finding it as solid as though he was standing in front of her. "I know you cared and were doing the best you knew how." Fresh tears streamed down her face, but she smiled through them. "That's why I pushed so hard. I wanted to make you damn proud when I came back."

"It's time to come home, dear. You've done enough."

Turning her attention back to her grandmother, the smile turned slightly sad. "Oh, I'm going to. But not today," she replied, then wiped her face with her sleeve, sniffing a little. "And I'm just getting started. I didn't go through all this to just do things halfway, Grams." At the further insisting she come home, she shook her head slowly. "I can't, just yet. I have things to do here. And ... everyone is gone. Unless I can find a way back." Reaching out she put an arm around each of them, holding on for dear life for a time and just allowing herself to take in what she could, even if remembering they were dead and gone was a bucket of ice water dumped over her. They weren't real. None of this was real. But it felt close enough. She could at least, for a moment, be with them again in some small way.

Finally, she stepped back. "And I'm always with you. You're always with me. In here." She tapped her head. "In here." She tapped over her heart. "And all around," she said quietly, as little motes of light danced all around them for a moment as the Force flowed through her. A long while ago she'd first learned to use Force Light, and while she couldn't do much of anything significant with it, she practiced with it a lot. But now letting go, and healing much of her own pain, it came easier, but still wasn't easy. Though at this moment it almost happened on its own. The firefly lights winked out one by one as she slowly stepped back from them.

When she'd come to the Jedi, it had been to learn about her heritage, and to learn about the Force. Excitement. Adventure. But over time, she'd changed. Sure she still sought the knowledge, and ... she was still an adrenaline junky. But she understood much more now, including the duty and responsibility she had. Finding the balance in those matters was equally important. Time for others, time for herself.

As she stepped back, reflecting for a moment, a mild melancholy washed over her for the girl she was when first leaving Arkania was gone. But replaced with someone who'd been through so much in terms of pain, loss, learning, trial, and error. Young Des wouldn't have been able to handle the things she dealt with now. She was prepared for almost anything, but Des knew just how much she still lacked and would never assume that she just had everything in the bag.

And too, she didn't need what she'd left behind. Mostly. There was no need to compete with her sister, Hanna, or her memory. The only approval she really needed was her reflection's. And Caltin. Or rather it made her happy and feel good. But it wasn't him she had to face every morning and evening. She was... free of all that?
zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

As the visages of her grandparents disappeared, the only thing the Arkanian would see was the entrance to the cave, and Caltin standing there. No, this was not the "Caltin" she had seen moments ago, but the one she recognized all too well. He stood with a proud smile on him, a look that said the words "There you are!" He did not come to her, she would have to come to him, but with the cave, one would wonder how true it was.

You ready to get out of here?

ZhUyygm.png

55491.gif

Equipment: Simple Jedi Robes,​
The last of the family faded from sight and things went pitch black. Even her thermal sight winked out in the darkness leaving her completely blind. it was a disconcerting feeling. Except, she was never blind, not truly. Not anymore with the Force has her ally. But before she could call on it the darkness swept away. She was in a pitch black chamber, surrounded by the smell of loamy earth, rot and decay. Vines descended packed dirt walls, mixed with snakes, lizards, and any number of small creatures. Most were hard to make out, save for the fitful light filtering in from the mouth of the cave nearby. It seemed ... this place was done with her for now. Or was it? Turning she stretched out her hand and parted the vines and creatures with a touch of the Force and began making her way back.

Less than a minute later she was back into the open air, with more light than she thought possible pouring through the foggy canopy. The air here was cool against her feverish, sweaty skin. She realized down inside it was almost sweltering in the confined space. How long had she been down there? It felt like hours. Judging by the light, it might very well have been.

The normally pristine-looking Arkanian was caked with dirt and mud in places, specially her face, hands and hair. . As she approached Caltin, she staggered with each step as though she weighed a ton and was exhausted. At his question, she nodded. "Does this bucket have a tub I can soak in, or is it showers only," she asked Caltin before breaking into a grin and a small bit of worn laughter. "Also, where's my gear?"

zJxNdnE.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom