Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule Tweaks

Two minor alterations have been made to the rules.

Firstly, under factions:
No faction may use the terms 'official', 'real' or 'true' or similar in the name of their faction. No faction can claim to be the sole and only version of that group.

Next under invasions:
3. Invasions typically run for two weeks, though the factions involved can freely set a different duration. This can be modified later if both parties agree.

These just iron out things which were always understood but never outright explained.

Some faction names have been corrected.

The factions involved in an invasion can set whatever duration they want, but two weeks is what most have been.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
I always figured words like "true" and "Official" didn't matter anyways, the same way having a "canon" named company is just...a name. Instead of saying "You can't use these words in the name" instead how about a tweak saying that those words don't recognize as any one faction more legitimate over another of the same name?

Let's not police words now. Treat the names like we already do Canon items and Canon names, especially since those words help separate and indicate the goals of said faction. For example, now we have two Chiss Ascendencies. While the idea of having two of the same faction isn't an issue, actually distinguishing the two at a glance is. Where before one could glance at the names of said factions and potentially ascertain loose goals or even the kind of faction it would be.

EDIT: And on a clerical side-note, I imagine it would cause the same sorts of confusion in searches that I assume are also the reason why players can't have the same name?

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Well I am the only true Sith on the board and you can't change my mind staff.

hqdefault.jpg

So we can still be Anakin Skywalker we just cant be THE Anaking Skywalker.

No is THE Galactic Empire....you're just A Galactic Empire

None the less we can have THE Jedi Order, but MANY Jedi Orders.

This rule makes no sense...if someone is running said of the above....and become Major, by all means that makes the Site Wise Canon and therefor no one can make a faction using the same name. This rule says other wise, even though there have been many cases where someone has tried to make a minor faction name after a major faction and that major told the minor "No Can Do!.", and the Admins support such a thing. What is going on here....so there can be more than one Sith Empire/Order...?

Quick everyone, Make as man Sith Empires and Jedi Orders...is not against the rules.

No one suspects the Inquisition.

stupid-admins_o_720077.jpg

[member="Ando Blackstar"]

Playing or attempting to play a canon character such as "Anakin Skywalker" has always been frowned upon. Canon names are strictly forbidden from being used for Character Creation (PC's & NPC's).

There are also, already, many different orders of Jedi and Sith, long before this edit was put into effect. Factions are often based or formed off of previous groups or themes taken from Star Wars Canon, but it's always been clear that they are not to be considered the authentic representation of said roles from the movies and/or books. Expanded Universe included.

Chaos canon is simply that, user created fiction.

I think I'm missing what it is exactly that you disagree with where this notion/edit to the rules is concerned.

What your saying i so long as I dont proclaim to be THE of whatever...Im fine. So if I want to make a First Order call it The First Order, and go major...you cant tell me no because you already have The First Order....well...they aren't the OFFICIAL First Order so I can make The First Order as well.

This tweak is greatly flawed and simply just makes everything all these factions have done to become what they are now...pointless. The Sith Empire is THE Sith Empire...sure there have always been other Sith groups....but not TWO Sith Empires.

With this said...they are Canon names that hold true, people who join this site see First Order, The Republic and Jedi and Sith and think they know what they are getting into....but nope....they are not what they thought. Then you got this Sith Empire that really feels more like the Sith Republic while this Jedi Order feels more like the Jedi Crusaders..so on so forth. If a group as 200 memebrs, and another group tries to take that name with only 2 people in that faction....that larger group has placed their presence on the board...the admins have probably approved of their presence and placed them on the map....that means...that name is taken and anyone else trying to create such a thing is both not going to make it and is going to criticized for trying an laughed at.

This rule needs to be re-tweaked and needs to be not made out of the fact some recent faction used Official in it's name, but in the notion and consideration of all that is currently considered canon to Chaos and what the Admins feel both helps new and old writers of the site. Names are not just names, they do hold a form of influence. Writers know this, you know this. we all know this.

There has to be better to regulate this rather than saying we can have 50 Sith Empires because its just a name.

Ando Blackstar said:
What your saying i so long as I dont proclaim to be THE of whatever...Im fine. So if I want to make a First Order call it The First Order, and go major...you cant tell me no because you already have The First Order....well...they aren't the OFFICIAL First Order so I can make The First Order as well.
Sure, we had 3 Sith and 2 Republics major at one time.

'The' as in the definite article, does not imply exclusivity, and is not mentioned in the rules for that reason.

You are mistaken in your belief that we can't have more than one of each faction. We have, as of now, many Jedi, Sith, Chiss, Imperial, Bounty Hunters, Mandalorian and more factions. They can co-exist, but none of them are official and exclusive.

I'm not sure why you're trying to argue and draw out a very simple concept. Leave it be.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Because this still doesnt solve the issue at hand. What matters are the names. If I want to go make a company called Mandal Motors...you cant stop me. This rule tweak stops your from telling me no. If I make a faction called The Sith Empire and we decide to go major...you can't stop me because your rule stops you. But guess what...those guys over there in the first one that exists currently...they're gonna be pretty upset.

You rule does nothing to stop the war of names/words. Not even close.

My point is names matter, and you know they do, you're choosing to make a sloppy rule to try and deal with a problem that wont go away with just removing three words that wont change anything. As long as I have been here, I have seen many people who are new try to make factions that already existed, they got ridiculed, laughed at and left.

This rule needs to be made more clearly on faction names.

Do not even ask me for evidence of such, cause you know out of the many people here which is well over the hundreds if not within a thousand, that is has happened, will happen and will continue to happen. It's a fact, but a rule that is much more clearer and not left open to debate such as this will help clear it all up. Those who are new will see they should not, and will probably not try and you will be saving yourself both this headache and further headaches down the road that wouldnt be necessary if you already had something centered around this.

This site has many times explained it's fluid yet centered time and canon, there is still a structure here and unwritten rules that should already go ahead be written.

More drama can be stopped if it was simply done that way, instead of trying to make EVERYONE happy when the minority of everyone wont be heard because they are too new to speak up and express themselves. Such is the case for any forum with new people joining and having problems fitting in.

It's being done half-ass when you need to put the whole ass in.

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
Since I own one of the duplicate The Chiss Ascendancy's, the first one, my concern is the fact that the 'Official' version had been created to circumvent the naming convention we had. There's 1 member, no investment made, and it's owned by an alt of a major owner for the sole purpose of supporting his major factions claims - and this is after a rejected attempt at a codex entry for the same. I don't understand why the official variation was just deleted or made private, by staff request, since it's clearly a dummy faction. Also, the 'Unofficial official' variant was clearly just trolling.

I'd like to state I completely understand that multiple Chiss factions can be created, yes. I'm not disputing that. There are multiple Jedi factions, multiple Sith factions, etc, but they have unique names - The Sith Order, The Sith Empire, The One Sith, The Jedi Order, The Silver Jedi Order, Blue Jedi Order, The Jedi Order, The Old Jedi Order, ETC, ETC, ETC. And yet, there are not two 'The Sith Empires'. Or 'The First Orders'. Or 'Mandalorian Clan Australis'. Or 'The New Republics'. But as of now there could be, and that doesn't make much sense.

But, going back to the Chiss, when they are ALL called The Chiss Ascendancy, that's when things get messy. Being able to have the exact same name for multiple factions is going to cause problems, whether through ignorance (new members) or intentional trolling.

The Chiss Ascendancy & The Chiss Ascendancy

If the focus for this decision is because the CA is a canon group, well... we're still being co-opted due to a dummy faction that has no serious plans to do anything with itself. Two, even. So this rule tweak supports this kind of dummy-faction creation behavior and also potential trolling. And it could get very messy for the players involved if just this small incident is anything to go by.

Just my thoughts on it.

Valiens Nantaris said:
Two minor alterations have been made to the rules.

Next under invasions:
3. Invasions typically run for two weeks, though the factions involved can freely set a different duration. This can be modified later if both parties agree.
Glorious one-month long battles over planets incoming chock full of violence, feels and character development now possible, the hype is real.

[member="Thorne"]

What would you suggest? xxx_The Chiss Ascendancy69!_xxx?

It's got one dude in it. Even new folks who want to join a Chiss Faction are gonna join the more active one, otherwise TSE would have serious competition from the older The Sith Empire in the directory.

Staff doesn't just go around deleting factions, that's a slippery slope that moves towards having to have your Minor Faction approved really fast and nobody wants that.

You'll be fine so long as you do anything.

[member="Laira Darkhold"]

You say that now, but you have TWO The Resistance factions, one that as more recent activity for this year with 70 members waiting to be deleted, with the other only have 7 members with older activity not waiting to be deleted. So...what does that say? I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're taking care of any faction competition. Even then....your decision makes no sense....why do you have two of the same faction that you lead?

Admins have gone out of their way to delete factions before and should. There are 55 pages of factions...with at least 2 of the most popular factions so far being The Sith Empire, The Resistance, The Chiss Ascendancy, The New Republic and counting. Once more there is two of the Neo-Crusader Mandalorians, Dar'Manda and so forth.

There is no telling how many hidden factions that are duplicates as well.

@Thorne

Makes an excellent point and what I have been saying this entire.

Staff and members say that words don't matter, but that's not true at all. Staff polices words and wording all the time. If Canon doesnt matter that much to the site, then why do submission templates have so many "If Canon please leave link" cause it apparently matters to a level of degree that keeps one person from having a duplicate of Canon already on site.

You wouldnt have two people running around with Darth Maul's ship why would you have two factions running around advertising as the same thing, but their not?

It's not slippery slope deleting inactive factions that clearly inactive and didn't make it because there was little to no interest in the faction, or one already existed before hand. Don't even try to say it....some of these accounts havent even been online in like 3 years. Some less than that but still.
Clearly all you have to do is give warnings and what not, clean up the faction directory some is not that hard, nor stepping on egg shells. It used to be done all the time with some to no issue before. Name changes have been requested before with no issue, because it was being done for the right reasons.

Ando Blackstar said:
You wouldnt have two people running around with Darth Maul's ship

Actually, you can. Per a recent ruling by the Site Owner/former Factory Admin, all canon items are to be considered replicas and can be claimed/reproduced by multiple players.

As a result, there can be multiple versions of Maul's ship, Luke's lightsabre, Andeddu's holocron etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom