Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule Tweaks

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
[member="Ando Blackstar"]

Just append a .version (x) to the end of every repeat faction.So the next Imperial Remnant wannabe will be 'The Imperial Remnant v9' or whatever. Now you get to have the name you want and are clearly differentiated from other incarnations.

Alternatively, stop making mountains out of molehills.

To people responding with “we hate policing words”....

This is a fan fiction website. All we do is write words here.

We, the moderators of this website, police what is written. Without us, we would live by mob rule. Which I cannot abide, despite the website’s title.

We’ll review rules that aren’t well recieved by the community, as always. But the argument that we dislike the “word police” is asinine, and suggestions/joke to undermine these rules is literally also against said rules.

Keep this in mind when providing feedback, please.

[member="Veiere Arenais"]

That isn't strictly speaking true. How can you explain [member="Faith Organa"] as a character if canon names are strictly prohibited?

Because Faith isn't a canon character. There's no rule saying you can't use a House Name. The fact that we're some 800+ years in the future makes any relevance to any canon character completely useless because your bloodline would have been messed with over so many generations. That's like saying you're the descendant of Genghis Khan just because you have Khan as a last name and ambiguous genetics that would have been mixed with others over the course of hundreds of years.

[member="Ella Nova"]

[member="Ella Nova"],

Well since I use the Carrick Last name which is the name of a character from the time of the Old Replublic Just before the Mandalorian Wars with Revan in it, I guess I can't use the name now? No.

The rule states you can't use Canon names as in the entirety of "Luke Skywalker" or "Leia Organa" or "Han Solo" Last names or "Family names" can be used just as much as the fiction based ones such as Austrailius. Or even the Mandalorians with their various clan names that are considered Canon.

Just because you have a last name that matches someone, doesn't mean you are directly related to them.

My IRL last name is a very common name in America. Yet out of all of the people who I have met who have my last name, Less than 1% of them am I actually related to by blood.

This rule has been in place since nearly the infancy of the site. Bringing it up now will do you no good.

Ella Nova said:
canon names are strictly prohibited?
can you find me this rule? because my eyes are reading the rule on canon "names" as "Canon Characters are not allowed".

Now, maybe I'm illiterate, but I understand that as meaning "you cannot be Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, etc"

"Playing or attempting to play a canon character such as "Anakin Skywalker" has always been frowned upon. Canon names are strictly forbidden from being used for Character Creation (PC's & NPC's)."

The man said canon names are strictly forbidden. Interpretation is often difficult to figure out. I personally don't care if someone calls themselves Organa or Carrick. In his attempt to refute a post he said something that I interpreted to be wrong as we have at least two people who roleplay with canon names and a dozen more with the name Ren as well.

Ando Blackstar said:
"If Canon please leave link" cause it apparently matters to a level of degree that keeps one person from having a duplicate of Canon already on site.
I just want to mention that field in the templates is for the canon article's link, not because it can't be duplicated.

Overall this seems like a meh thing that doesn't influence much...

I literally only have one question, and it's answer isn't terribly important, but on my return I had though of making a faction for the True Mandalorians from Canon for the site, or those who adhere to their ideals. I don't care if this rule mucks with that, but how would that be handled for that group when 'True' is literally a part of their canonical name? Just wanting guidance before I launch that idea. Forgive me if I missed such an explanation already, just coming off shift.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
Would this rule not be better as a staff prerogative? Something staff can handle in the background, without limiting terminology? As [member="Daymon Vale"] mentioned, there's actual canon factions with those exact words in them. So perhaps this could be less a ruling, more a 'staff will handle situations like the CA mess as they appear'?

Let’s be real here people... this is happening because of one person’s attempt to claim their Ascendency as the real one, and someone else trolling the name.

We all laughed when it happened... poked fun at it... and now the staff has done what needs to be done because members of this community were dumb. Rules like this wouldn’t happen if people would just apply some common sense.

Last I counted there was something like 30+ 'Mandalorian' Factions floating around - ranging from world governments to small clans of Mandos.

So I don't see why people would get into a hissy about there being multiple factions of <insert name here>.

The Reaper of Won Shasot
To toss my hat into the ring here, I don't think having an absolute ban on the using "Official" (okay well maybe official, but I'm just spitballing here), "real' and "true" might not be the best course of action. As others have pointed out, it becomes difficult to tell some factions apart as a result, but I also understand the need for having some way of (sorry Tef, I can't think of another way to word this, but I certainly am not saying this with a negative connotation) policing the faction names, only to the effect of not having people at each others throats. For example, let's say there was a faction that was based around some sort of false splinter philosophy but, purposefully branded themselves to be the 'true' religion. So we call it the True Disciples of Whozawhatsit, both to differentiate from another faction called Disciples of Whozawhatsit who follow a more passive, less extreme doctrine, the former believe they are more enlightened than the latter. Simultaneously, it also adds a little bit of...story? Flavor? Its 2 in the morning for me, my brains only half awake. If there is an IC reason for the faction to be called what it is, I don't think it should necessarily be axed, just because there's some OOC drama, or newbies are a bit confused (sorry to the new peeps). Its not our jobs to make everything clear cut to every single member, and honestly I think putting in a little effort to find out exactly what each faction is isn't too much to ask.

Long winded as this was, my point is this. I don't agree with the tweak to the rules, but I don't disagree with it either. I just think that there may be a better way of dealing with this situation, perhaps a case by case? Although I imagine it would add quite a bit more work on the staff. End of the day, whether it is kept or discarded, its no skin off my back and we'll either work around it or the tweak will be tweaked

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom