Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP, Dad

Hey, guys. For the record, I'm unsure where a topic like this would go but I figured the LOA section made the most sense.

Earlier today, shortly after noon CEST, my father passed away. I only learned about it after work when my mom called and asked me to come visit, around 5pm. I don't know what it was, but I had this eerie feeling all day today that something was wrong.

My dad was diagnosed with stomach cancer back in 2014. At first only he and mom knew about it, and they only told me and my two siblings six months later after the Holidays, in January 2015. Dad told us he did not want us telling anyone outside of the family; not our friends, not post something on social media, or whatever. So we kept it under wraps for several years, all up until today. I felt honorbound to uphold his wishes, so I've literally told no-one since that day.

My father was a real man's man, who started working at age 14 and became self-sufficient at age 16. He dropped out of the Swedish equivalent of high school because he was already able to make a living for himself. He's always been a big, physically strong man since his late teens, and he knew how to do or fix anything; from fixing cars to refurbishing rooms to building our porch and later our swimming pool. But above all he was very kind and gentle towards us and people in general.

I've idolised him all my life. Other than him having been a smoker since he was 12, I loved everything about the man. He joined the army back in -76, and so did I in 2011; while I did so on my own terms, there was always a part of me that felt I did it to make him proud. To follow in his footsteps. He was always supportive of anything I did, especially my music.

For the first two years since we learned he had cancer, everything was fine. He kept working like nothing happened and didn't feel anything. Then last year he started having trouble swallowing his food and would get these weird hiccups. So he went to the hospital to get it checked out, only to find that the tumor in his stomach had grown to the point where it would stop him eating. So he had his first surgery shortly after, and they removed all the tumors they could find. After a month or so of rest, he was back to normal.

Then earlier this year he started to get really bad, rather suddenly. Another check-up at the hospital told us the cancer had returned, this time settling in his spine. He would feel sudden spikes of pain in his back and legs, and he could no longer resume his duties at work. So he was bedridden for several months, only getting up to have breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I moved out of my parents' house in late April and moved in with my best friend since childhood; we've known each other for 18 years, and I'm only 26. I'd gotten steady work and a month later I bought my first car. I became self-sufficient for the first time in my life, a decade later in life than my dad. One day when I visited my parents for family dinner my father was missing. Mom told me he'd gotten so bad she had to send him to a home for the elderly because she could not care for him the way he needed to be taken care of. This was about a month ago.

I visited my dad after work several times, but each time proved more difficult. There was barely anything left of him, he'd just wasted away and he could not even get out of bed if he tried. The last time I saw him was last Friday, 3 August 2018, and he could hardly speak. I knew then he did not have much longer, so I just sat by his bedside and held his hand for hours.

When mom summoned me home today she told me that dad had passed away. She got a call from the nurses telling her it was his time so she went into town to keep him company during his final hours, holding his hand as he slowly fell asleep. I'm told it was painless and peaceful. He deserved it after a lifetime of hard work so the rest of us would not want for anything.

I'm sorry if this dragged on a bit, I just needed to write it all down mostly to make sense of it myself. As you might imagine, the whole family is pretty devastated by his passing.

I've been a member of this site for just about 5 years now, and it takes something really special to keep my interest for so long. This site, however silly it may seem, has become a home away from home, and you guys have become my second family. And because you're family, I felt I should tell you guys what's going on. Informing you all just now has also allowed me to work out a bit of grief, so thank you to those who stayed and read the whole thing.

I don't believe this will impact my activity on the site, however. I don't have any threads going at the moment anyway, and any set to go up I will still participate in.

Also, if you have a father figure in your life, please go tell him in person or call him and tell him that you love him. Cherish every day you have together, as I did with my father.

Vila i frid, pappa!​
1956-2018†​

[member="Thurion Heavenshield"]

My deepest condolences Thurion. Rest assured, if you need anything...we are around. And I am just single discord ping away.

I'm so sorry.

This was a beautiful read. Devastating, but a beautiful way to remember your father to all of us. I am deeply sorry for your loss and Hiss is right - you've got a whole bunch of listening ears and shoulders to lean on.

My Swedish is rusty, so I won't attempt any fitting phrases. The loss of a father, and a man of the caliber you father was, is a heavy blow to his family and community. But we all live on in the lives we touch. Echoes of eternity, as it were. And in this thinking, he has as fine legacy as a man could wish in you. I hope your family finds peace.

Jor Kvall

Ain't found a way to kill me yet

From one Nord to another:

Cattle die, kinsmen die,
thyself too soon must die,
but one thing never, I ween, will die-
fair fame of one who has earned.
Havamal, 75

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
*hugs*

I only know you by reputation, which is a great one by the way. I read the full story of your father's life and he sounded like such an amazing person to look up to. He's similar to my own dad in many ways, and his sickness was something that I've gone through a few times recently with close family.

You've got a lot of support behind you and plenty of friends here to lend an ear when you need to express yourself.

I learned an old funeral custom yesterday. Have a sweet treat; like a small candy, something you enjoy. It's supposed to help take the bitterness of loss away.

Take care.

Equinox

Agility is key.
My deepest condolences. Although you don't know me, you can talk to me, or anyone that you trust. This world truly will miss this amazing figure. I am terribly sorry for your loss. There is always someone that you can lean on.

Adder Dawnracer

A

My condolences, Thurion. May your father rest in eternal peace and may you find comfort in the days ahead.

My grandfather was very much the same, a mans man. He also died of cancer, was fine for a while before it spread to all over his body. I'm so very sorry for your loss, I hope you and your mother are doing okay.

Our thoughts are with you man.

Elijah Brockway

[Insert Clever Joke Here]
Jor Kvall said:

From one Nord to another:

Cattle die, kinsmen die,
thyself too soon must die,
but one thing never, I ween, will die-
fair fame of one who has earned.
Havamal, 75
In a similar vein, number sixty-nine:

Not reft of all is he who is ill,
For some are blest in their bairns,
Some in their kin and some in their wealth,
And some in working well.
I can't speak as to wealth, but between children, family, and working well, your dad seems to have done very well for himself. It's a shame to have lost somebody like him.

Shadow Hand
Top Poster Of Month

You have my deepest condolences for your loss Thurion, that was a beautiful read and I’m glad you had someone like that. He is well and truly immortalized through the memories of you and your family.

My condolences for you. I know what it's like to lose someone, I lost my grandfather in 2011 to cancer, just a year or two after he moved in with us. I'm not going to say I know what you're going through, because I never really knew my grandfather for that long. But I'd just like to tell you to remain strong in this difficult time for both you and your family. The only advice I can offer you is, always remember him. Even though you may not see him anymore physically, I promise you that he is still there beside you in spirit and in your heart.

I hope that you will be able to find solace in your father's passing, and remember him for who he was to you and all of his achievements in life. I'm glad for the story that you have shared with us about your father, and I pray that you will always know that he is there beside you and will always be there. Though you may not see him anymore, remember he is watching you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom