Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rey's Name

[member="Norah Kitts-Castillon"] [member="Kana Truden"] [member="Cira"]

Yeah, I was pretty sure I saw in a Prod-review that the new series will have overlapping story of the Skywalkers. Not sure if that implies that Rey is a Skywalker. But it did seem like Solo recognized her to some capacity at times. Same with Kylo. I would not be surprised that she is somehow related to Luke. Especially with that stare they shared...Which to think about it, was super cheesy.

The stare they shared was that of a man being confronted by his past. Not his daughter. He's been hiding and someone has shown up on his doorstep, which was very hidden information. Also he's surprised by the lightsaber as well.

Kylo has no recognition of her. It'd be highly improbable that they know each other. I can break down a timeline here for you.

Rey is abandoned at the age of five. She is approximately 20 now in the series. So she has been on Jakku for 15 years. Kylo is at most 30. Meaning that if Luke left Rey after the purge (the only logical time) then he would have been around 15. That's insanely young to the point that it does not make sense chronologically.

Furthermore, Rey is left with the junk dealer. If she had been left with the other guy at the beginning of the film then the idea would be plausible, but she was not. Luke, Leia or Han would have never left her with someone as slimey as the Junk dealer dude.

Kylo's focus on her is as a surprise (he knows who Finn, Poe, and BB-8 are but has no idea who "the girl" is), and potentially to do with his knowledge that the force has awakened and he might know it is in a girl. Simple as that.

There is nothing in the movie to link her to Luke. Nothing at all. In fact, if anything it screams of the opposite unless you read into the scene with Luke, but the obvious situation is the more likely one. That situation being that Luke is tired and he's being confronted with a past (the responsibility of the Jedi) and failure (its destruction) and he is weary to get involved again.

Nyx

Insert Hilarious Title Here
Actually, she is neither of those things.
If you look closely at Rey, what do you see?
Star-Wars-countdown--ReyMara-Jade.jpg
That's right, she has a nose.
You know who else has a nose?
NEvxxpGQVMrmzA_1_1.jpg
Bam. Mind bomb.

Jak Sandrow

"Nobody cares for the woods anymore."
I've been wondering 2 things: We've already heard Obi-Wan - Alec Guiness's Obi-Wan - say 'Rey?' in Rey's vision. This was a very well-done edit from him saying 'afraid' in Star Wars 4. But I really want to know who whispers 'These are your first steps' in the vision... I think this will give us a clue as to Rey's lineage.

Marcus Itera said:
Everyone, I have the answer.

There are three letters in Rey. There are three sides to a triangle.

Rey is illuminati. It had been confirmed.
[member="Marcus Itera"]

You sir, have just made my day. And forever more, I will think as Rey as the Illuminati Chick. /clap

[member="Selena Halcyon"]

I personally thought Kylo is focused on Rey because of her power. Rey is a 'nobody' at this point and can repel his attacks. I saw it as a curious thing, perhaps he's never been up against someone with such Force skill (beyond Snoke).

Well his focus on Rey starts before he sees any demonstration of her latent power and almost savant like grasp of it. The initial thing that most people grab onto is his choking the guy after finding out that a girl was with Finn and BB-8. People assume this indicates he knows her. Personally, I think the more obvious reality is that it is both a combination of the unknown aspect (who is the person that I know nothing about) and something to do with his knowledge of the Force Awakening in general (but manifested in Rey, which he doesn't know specifically).

I have to assume that Kylo has encountered those who had some skill. After all, one must assume that Luke had been training some people longer than Kylo by a good while. You would think he'd pick up the task of training Jedi pretty quickly after the end of RotJ, but we don't know. However, he probably knows of a significance because of this Force Awakening stuff and that she is essentially an empty slate. He sees a chance at having his own apprentice, someone who has never been trained in the Jedi ways or something. But you're probably not wrong, he is fascinated by her power.[member="Norah Kitts-Castillon"]

From a movie-making standpoint it would be extremely unlikely that she would not be part of the Skywalker dynasty in some way or the other.

For my mind, having her be completely unrelated would be a very odd choice.

As I see it she has only a few possible origins:
  • Twin/sister of Kylo (very unlikely as neither Han nor Leia recognise her)
  • Grand daughter or Obi-Wan (extremely unlikely as he clearly had no children)
  • Daughter of Luke (the most likely)
All of these have big problems either of background and of what we've seen in the movie. The brother/sister thing seems the most likely considering the OT, but doesn't gel with what we've seen on screen.

I guess we won't know for a while yet.

Considering her Force Mastery-osmosis gleaned when Kylo tried to raid her brain, I figured she was probably another spontaneous Force Birth, a la grandpa Anakin (Hence "The Force Awakens"). This would make it 'technically' "about the Skywalkers," as per production guidance. I also like the possibility that she's some sort of "Lightside Shadow" to Rylo, which is an idea typically made ridiculous by Christians, anime-fans, and Roleplayers...but I think the follow-up director could masterfully execute the whole literal 'balance in the Force' thing.

If she's Luke's daughter, that's a whole lot of romantic relationship/distraction sideplot regarding who or what the mother may have been that'll only wreck the story flow and derail the thematic, cyclical narrative. With the Force Philosophy heavy-lifting seemingly having been completely passed over by Abrams in this first entry, I can only assume that it was because the hard stuff was intended to have been left up to the brilliant Rian Johnson in the sequel and the screenplay to the finale.

Selena Halcyon said:
The stare they shared was that of a man being confronted by his past. Not his daughter.
Pure speculation! :p

Anyway, after watching it a second time, I noticed the following:
In the scene where Kylo (Ben) is interrogating Rey, he pulls images from her mind. In those things, if you listen to what he says, he indicates that she sees in her mind and ocean and an island. At the end of the movie, she flies over an ocean, to an island, and meets Luke. Coincidence? I doubt it.

I believe she's a Skywalker. The mindwipe theory is a good one, and could possibly have been the result of what happened to Luke's Jedi. He could have hidden her away as a child, for example. Luke is a powerful Jedi, he could have had a vision which led to this. Pure speculation, of course.

I agree with [member="Valiens Nantaris"]. It would be very odd for her to be a random, super powerful Force user. That has, in canon, only ever been the case with the Skywalkers.

Additionally, you should all noticed that the talk of an awakening between Kylo and Snoke happens before Rey has any sort of awakening. There is more to Finn than meets the eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom