Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Returning to the Nest

There was that look again, as Amea got lost in her thoughts for a moment as she just stared. Even despite the amount of time they had spent together, there were still unknown parts neither knew of the other. And Evelyn wasn’t foolish enough to not realize that, to understand that there were still some things Amea kept close to her chest.

And that was fine, as they both mutually agreed to take things slow.

But by the Force, was it difficult to not break that.

Evelyn returned the kiss, and the desire burned within. To pull Amea closer, deepen the kiss and hold her there. It was a temptation that always surfaced during these moments. Fortunately, Amea was the one to break it as an amusing thought brought a smile to her face.

The Echani chuckled, no that fact had slipped her mind.

Okay, we may be able to find you something that’ll fit.” Evelyn was confident there was at least something, her wardrobe was admittedly expansive.

Amea gestured for them to get up carefully, in order to not disturb Hoshi. But the small Shinri showed no reaction, not even the usual ear twitch when he heard something. The bit of Force Healing he had demonstrated had truly tired him out.

The pair walked into Evelyn’s quarters, although was it technically their quarters now? Amea would likely refuse the fact, given she'd feel no ownership of it. But by definition; with her sleeping in here with her, it was also hers too.

It was a question for another time, right now the focus was on finding something for Amea to wear.

There should be something, if not we could potentially make a real quick shopping trip along the way.” Evelyn opened the wardrobe, stepping aside to allow Amea access. “But I’m confident we’ll find something that’ll work for this dinner.

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

It was hard not to reach out and swoop the sleeping shinri up to bring along, but as they both got out of the couch to see how he had passed out and curled into a little ball as cute as candy it was clear that Hoshi needed his sleep. Amea let Evelyn guide her over towards her bedroom and then the little compartment that acted as a wardrobe. Amea being who Amea was had always found it so strange that the woman kept such a huge amount of items at hand, at least compared to what Amea had — which admittedly said very little if anything at all given just how lightly Amea traveled.

“I’m sure we will.” Amea laughed and began to pick through the different compartments and drawers to find something. For a moment she disappeared, then she reappeared with another outfit. She shook her head, or Evelyn did, and the cycle repeated for a few of the combinations, most of which was Amea taking cheap shots at the more obscure pieces she found in the Echani woman’s closet.

And that was when Amea found it. Black leather on a wooden hanger, hidden under a dust-repellent bag. A form-fitting suit, but not just any form of suit, a catsuit. Amea’s eyebrow reached for her hairline as she unhooked it and held it before her.

“Uh, Evelyn…”
Her voice trailed before she stepped out, half-naked into the open with the suit in both hands to question her lover. “What is this?”

“This ain't the point where we start talking about some sort of safeword, right?”

Evelyn took a seat on the edge of the bed, giving Amea the bit of privacy she could while within the small wardrobe space. It probably said something about the Echani, that she had ensured there was a walk-in closet in her personal quarters. Whether it was there originally, or she had made modifications, Evelyn didn’t admit to either.

It took a bit until Amea began to appear again, finding a few outfits first then started the process of changing into them. Back and forth they went, with either Amea walking into view already with the answer in her mind, or deferring to Evelyn’s opinion.

One outfit was a bit too snug, another just didn’t suit her.

Then Amea disappeared for a bit, until her confused/suspicious voice suddenly cropped up. Evelyn rarely heard that tone outside of missions, so she wondered what Amea had found. It wasn’t until it came into full view, that the Echani’s eyes widened.

She froze, in part because of seeing Amea as she was, but mainly because of the leather suit that was currently in her hands. Evelyn’s cheeks grew red in slight embarrassment, before she suddenly burst into a fit of laughter.

That’s- oh no, that’s not-” Her laughter consumed her, and she fell backwards onto the bed. Of course, you’d wind up finding that buried in there." Evelyn brought her hands up to her face, trying to wipe away the amused tears that were already appearing. After several moments, she shifted her arms, propping herself up to look over at Amea again.

It’s from some years back, before Sebastian found me. I uh, used to be a thief...there’s even a wig and mask that go along with it.” A thought crossed Evelyn’s mind, and she grinned at Amea. “Unless you’d like me to wear it some time, because I certainly would.

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

Was that embarrassment that rolled off of Miss Shaw? Amea’s brow sunk for a moment in amusement mixed with confusion before her lips split into a grin. As Evelyn cackled over the find Amea took a few steps closer to put it down on the bed. Her hands were placed along her hips, brow raised to question the Echani as she slowly came to her senses again. So Evelyn wasn’t a stranger to that thrill then. The grin thinned into a warm smile as Amea remained before the Echani, the adoration for her undoubtedly unknown friend — or, was it girlfriend now? Was that…

Amea froze for a moment to let the spike wash over her and dissipate. Too early, too close. It wasn’t practice to keep things from someone like that, and yet Amea still had all too many that she played close to her heart. Evelyn knew more than most, but that didn’t mean she knew as much as Amea would have wanted her to. Maybe one day they would get there.

Still, the present was now. Amea placed her knee before Evelyn, lowered herself onto the Echani woman’s lips yet again with a kiss.

“Are you implying we’d be able to keep it that way, Miss Shaw?” Her voice low before she let her lips split into a grin. Amea stood up, teeth exposed with mirth from the strike at Evelyn’s defenses. “Because we still have at least nine tenths of an entire wardrobe to go through.”

She turned on her toes, swayed her way into the closet and disappeared. “No getting up!” She called back into the bedroom. “I haven’t even gone through half of the shirt drawer yet.”

Amea pulled up a cropped white tank top and spun it around in her hands. Just slightly too snug, but it worked until she could get herself set up with a wardrobe of her own. All she needed now was an equally cropped jacket, maybe some pants and she was practically good to go. The question that remained however was where within this mess those were.

Truly, it was in times like these that Amea truly missed the items she had lost in her own little pocket dimension.

That temptation reared its head again when Amea moved between her, leaning over her to plant a kiss against her lips. A teasing moment where the Echani just wanted to pull her down, especially if it wiped away that knowing grin.

Amea was like a Nexu, not hesitating to take advantage of a weakness in their prey. Only she was more flirtatious, and less deadly.

The Echani chuckled, shaking her head at Amea’s words. But she wasn’t incorrect, there was still a lot to go through. Evelyn sat up further, about to slide off the bed when Amea stopped her. Knowing her well enough to know she was about to offer her assistance.

Evelyn pouted slightly, but remained where she was. Her gaze shifted over to where Amea had placed the catsuit. She’d be lying if she said she didn’t miss those times, that excitement between stealing something and trying to not get caught.

But hindsight had made it more than apparent it had been the thrill that drove her.

It wasn’t even about what she stole, just being able to succeed at stealing it away. Especially when there had been the close calls, where she had been but a hair away from being cuffed and locked away.

Some days I do miss that old persona.

Evelyn’s attention shifted away as she heard Amea still shifting through her wardrobe. “Try looking for things closer to the bottom of the piles. It’s where I put the older stuff.

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

Bottom of the piles. Amea lifted a pair of pants by the cuff, felt a grimace spread on her lips before she shook her head and discarded it on top of another pile. It was a veritable treasure trove of fabrics and colors. In a sense it was amusing that for someone so set on wearing a particular outfit, there sure seemed to be a far greater abundance of options available to her. Not that Amea would ever complain, but it was still hard not to at least ask herself why.

Her fingers latched onto a smooth pair of synthleather pants. A size too small in length but perfect around the hip. She put it on, glanced at herself in the mirror. White tank top, a short leather jacket, pants that left her ankles exposed enough so that it was all easily hidden behind the boots she already owned. She let in a deep breath and then a slow exhale as she stepped into the open.

“So?” She asked and spread her arms in a wide shrug. “How do I look?”

Her hand brushed against her exposed abdomen and back, traced along the scars she showed with a growing sense of worry for what she was getting herself into. The outfit was comfortable, but… Family was a big deal, or so it seemed to be for Evelyn.

“Presentable?”

Presentable enough to hide what, or who I am?

Evelyn took it all in, looking Amea up and down once she stepped back into view. She had definitely found an outfit that worked, albeit she was sure her lover would’ve provided to cover up the visible scars.

"Definitely presentable.” She said, sliding off the bed and stepping closer to Amea. The Echani smiled at her, bringing a hand to her exposed abdomen and gently brushing her hand against the scars. Evelyn was certainly not shy from them, especially having a small amount of her own, but she knew it wasn’t her that Amea was concerned about. “Though you do look a bit uncomfortable, and I don’t think it’s because of the clothes.

The smile shifted into a knowing look.

Honestly? I’m feeling the same...I haven’t directly seen my grandparents in years. Not since I left home.” If it wasn’t evident before that the Echani was nervous as hell about the dinner, it was now as it started to peek out from behind her attempts to hide it.

I should probably get changed too, into well...less tighter pants.” She removed her hand from Amea’s stomach, gaze shifting to meet her eyes. Evelyn chuckled, running a hand through her own hair. “Oh, I already know my grandma is going to be unhappy with what I did to my hair.

Amea wasn’t the only one worried over their appearance.

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

So she looked presentable. Amea let out a nervous chuckle, she didn’t feel like it. Evelyn could see that much as well, or at least enough to call her out on it. Amea’s eyes wandered up to meet Evelyn’s as she made it clear they shared the same feelings about it. Amea put her hand on the Echani woman’s shoulder.

“I know I—” Amea exhaled, panicked almost. “I know that- I haven’t said it yet, but—…”

She swallowed. They were simple words, children said it with the most casual disdain for their importance every day, and here Amea was struggling to say even just the one. Her eyes closed and she let in a deep breath. She kept it until she was just about to burst before she slowly exhaled it. Her eyes opened, glanced into Evelyn’s eyes with a measure of stilled terror.

“No matter what happens, I will be there for you.” Amea squeezed Evelyn’s shoulder. “Not that you would need it or like anything like that, but I’ll be your backup if you get uncomfortable. I—”

Her heart sunk, breath dissipated. The weight in her voice was there, but the ability to push them was not. “I love you.”

Amea exhaled before she swallowed and tried again. “I love you, Evelyn Shaw.” She laughed at her own arrogance. To think it was going to be that easy. “And, I want you to know that.”

“In fact, I can’t think of a single person that means as much to me, as you do. Your hair is amazing and I won't hear a single bad word over it.”

I love you, Evelyn Shaw.”​

The Echani blinked, eyes growing increasingly wide as Amea’s words fully sunk in. Of the things she was expecting to hear, that was certainly not one of them. Her cheeks began to burn, the colour rising to a point that could probably rival the shade of her favourite lipstick.

But then the surprise shifted into happiness, a wide smile forming as her eyes grew misty. The words meant everything to her, even if she never expected them from Amea.

No, it wasn’t never but rather she didn’t expect it so soon. Was it even that soon? Evelyn wasn’t entirely sure. But there was that part of her mind, currently buried beneath the emotions surfacing. Reminding herself of her suspicions about Dantooine, of what had happened there to affect Amea so much.

She’d get the answer one day, but it was the furthest thing from her mind right now.

Not trusting herself to speak, Evelyn cupped Amea’s face with both hands, pulling her into a deep kiss. She only relented once either or both needed air, and even then Evelyn didn’t move far. The Echani rested her forehead against Amea’s, staring into her brown eyes.

I love you too, Amea Virou.

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

Not a single moment had passed before Amea let out a relieved breath at those four words. Her lips split into a happy, lopsided grin before she felt herself lean into the kiss that their words brought on, and this time it felt real. Not that those that had come before had felt fake or unreal, but these felt far more heartfelt and intense than any other kiss that Amea could care to remember.

It was their moment, their little escape from reality for a brief moment. A struggle to breathe in a chaotic storm that had come to envelop them both. The good and the bad, the beautiful and the ugly. It all faded away for them to experience this one moment. Amea’s hands in Evelyn’s white hair as she tangled herself around the woman’s hip. A push, and a pull until eventually they had to resurface to find themselves again. But even then, they weren’t apart.

Her dreams wanted to drown in Evelyn’s deep brown eyes. This was a sanctuary, a place of respite and protection from the cold. For each breath that passed it grew hard not to fall deeper and deeper into it, to drown out the world again and merely exist.

“For as long as you’ll have me,” Amea whispered and burrowed her head in Evelyn’s neck. “I will be here for you.”

“Always.”

It was impossible to wipe away the smile on Evelyn’s face, content and happy to hold Amea close to her. Anyone who dared to disrupt...there’ll be hell to pay from the Echani, that was without a doubt.

Thank you, ‘mea.

Her voice was soft, laded with emotion. She didn’t repeat what Amea said, but it was clear that Evelyn wasn’t going anywhere from Amea either. Whatever struggles she’d face in the future, she’d be there at her side.

Some time later…

Evelyn was still riding off the emotional high, although the happiness had steadily grown into a tug of war with nervousness. The Echani had sent a message to her grandparents, informing them they were on their way and how long it would take. From there it was just the journey ahead of them. Evelyn had gotten changed into a fairly usual getup, although trading her pants for a more comfortable pair, and a shorter jacket to her typical long coat.

The journey to the planet took a little while, but eventually they exited hyperspace and headed down towards the surface. However, their trek wasn’t over just yet. After docking at the spaceport, Evelyn led the way towards a little speeder rental place. The Echani waved away the question of why, simply stating that her grandparents didn’t live within the city itself.

Not until they were well underway in their rental land speeder.

Like I said, my grandparents don’t live in the city. My grandma refused the notion, preferring to keep things like it had been on Eshan.” Evelyn chuckled as another thought crossed her mind. “Although, here she made sure there was no landing pad built. She always got so fed up when family would suddenly show via starship.

Once they were out of the city, Evelyn piloted the speeder into the countryside, not drifting terribly far from the city’s border. As they reached the crest of a hill, Amea finally got a good look at the place Evelyn had called home for most of her years.

Or well, the expansive estate before them.

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

The busy streets at the spaceport seemed like such a stark contrast to the way that the silence of this intersection between the city and the countryside. In a sense it reminded Amea of the night they had spent beneath the stars as they watched the sun set and let themselves air their more safer secrets. Evelyn had cemented her place in Amea’s chest then, and it was doubtful that Amea would ever do much to try and get her out of there.

As the estate came into view Amea struggled to contain the whistle that inevitably parted her lips. It was a burglar’s wet dream almost, but that usually also meant it had the protection to keep such a fantasy being just that, a fantasy. As she looked around there didn’t seem to be anything that struck her as odd or out of place, but there was certainly something there, she could feel it.

“And here I am, a mere Dantooine dung farmer seeking to ensnare the estranged youth of the rich.” She chuckled, let the nerves get the better of her for a moment and gave Evelyn a nervous look. “I am- joking, of course.”

The speeder touched down and Amea turned in her seat to face Evelyn.

“So, I know you said they were good people, but-” She exhaled with a chuckle to give away her nervosity yet again. “They’re not going to look down on me? Or think I’m up to no-good?”

“... They raised you, right? Do they know what you work with and what you do?”

“Should I-”
Amea was cut off.

Evelyn cut her off with a kiss, something the Echani had learned was a surefire way of stopping Amea from rambling for too long. Although it was a dangerous game to play, given how often she would just fall into the embrace.

You’ll be fine, Amea. My grandma grew up as part of a mob family, she’s seen and been around much worse. And like I said, grandpa is chill, as long as there’s no falsities and there’s genuine love involved, he won’t have any issues.” Their confession to one another back on the ship had certainly cemented that in particular. “Unless this is the time you suddenly tell me you’re secretly a Sith.” Evelyn’s voice was full of mirth, a mischievous twinkle in her eye.

Both disembarked from the speeder, and made their way onto the Shaw Estate. First going through the security. Evelyn stood before a camera, its optics shifting up and down as it scanned her. Once it had confirmed her identity, a slot on the wall below it opened up and revealed a small interface. A scan and a code later, and the duo were walking through the gates, following the curved path towards the front doors.

Eh, they weren’t exactly happy when they first learned of what I was doing.” The Echani chuckled sheepishly scratching the back of her neck. “I mean, I had everything lined up. Diploma, a good job. But I chose the life of thrill and adventure. They were just happy I wasn’t enlisting somewhere.

She took a deep breath, feeling it getting drawn out of her with every step they got closer to the doors. Evelyn was nervous, fidgety. On the way here she had relayed her hope that her grandma wouldn’t be the one greeting them. Evelyn knew she’d have to face her, but she’d much rather have that be her grandpa first. But if they were going to be in the midst of cooking, the chances of that were highly unlikely.

Evelyn felt fingers weave between hers, a glance over saw Amea at her side holding her hand. She smiled at her, a show of silent gratitude before she reached forward and hit the doorbell. Minutes felt like hours, until the telltale sign of a lock being disengaged echoed out.

And it seemed Evelyn’s wish had been granted.

The door opened to reveal an older man, standing a good deal taller than average. Green eyes and a head full of grey hair, but lacking a distinct Echani fade to it. An apron covered him for the most part, but a set of smart casual clothes were plain to see underneath. What was most interesting however, was the mechanical exoskeleton that encapsulated his legs, and trailed up the length of his spine.

A trained eye like Amea’s would probably note that it was wholly unique. Sure, it was clearly inspired by models that existed across the galaxy. But its look and build was completely custom. That and it wasn’t exactly the sleekist or most high tech thing out there. But it was built by an enthusiast, that was without a doubt.

Hey, grandpa…” Evelyn smiled as her eyes began to almost immediately tear up at the sight of her family. It had truly been too long, and it didn’t take the older man long to catch on.

Aww, come here sweet pea.” The Echani broke from Amea’s hold, and immediately wrapped her arms around her grandpa.

Amea Virou Amea Virou

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

She wanted to lean in. Their lips separated and Amea was left with a dumbfounded if not reassured look spread across her face as her lips cracked into a lopsided smirk. Her eyes closed as she listened to Evelyn speak. The mention of genuine love shouldn’t have scared her, but it did. Amea felt her shoulder tense for a moment before it eased up. She shifted in her seat again to grab at the handle to open the door. It opened with a pop, she laughed at it a first, but by the time her laughter died down Evelyn mentioned it; the S-word.

Amea froze for a moment. For a second her eyes were wide open before she settled down and let her guard down again. It was a Sith that had made her push things forward as she had, wasn’t it? Not that it made it any less true, but the fear was always there that the Sith would now be one of those that one day ended up taking Evelyn away from her. Her love was a threat, and that idea was so hard to get rid of.

But, Amea was not the only one with something on her mind. From the way Evelyn shifted and fidgeted on the way up, it was clear that this was tearing at her too. Putting her good sneaks to use, Amea swept her hand into Evelyn’s to let them weave together with a warm smile on her lips and a squeeze for comfort.

“Always here.” She reiterated right before the door opened. Amea caught the glance in the older man’s eyes, noticed the way his body lit up in the force with electromagnetic impulses. Something homemade based on a variety of blueprints, some even legal. Her head nodded in approval before she took a step back to grant Evelyn space with her parent.

In the end the nerves got the better of her. Amea’s left hand fell back behind her back, her right hand extended to give him a shake.

“Pleasure to meet you, sir.” She exhaled and tried her best not to chuckle.

He grabbed it with a firm shake.

“I’ve heard muhhh- sum-...” Amea felt that panic grow. “I’ve h- erd of... You. From- uh. Evelyn. Of course.”

Last edited:
A look crossed the older man’s gaze as he shook Amea’s hand, as if noticing something that wasn’t apparent. He chuckled as she stumbled over her words. “And a pleasure to meet you, Miss Virou. Evelyn has told us quite a bit about you.” That probably didn’t help the panic, nor the sheepish expression on the Echani’s face. “Or more like my wife has her ways of drawing information out of our granddaughter.

Speaking of grandma, I’m surprised you were the one to greet us. Figured you’d be busy in the kitchen.” Evelyn frowned, with a hint of concern on her voice.

Ah, yes well Dolores is currently helping with the co-” In almost instant flash, the young Echani was running further into the estate.

Oh god, I should go check and make sure she hasn’t burned anything!

Evelyn wait, she’s not-” He raised his arm to stop her, but Evelyn had already disappeared from sight. The older man laughed, letting his arm drop to his side. “-as bad as she was years ago.” He looked over at Amea, amusement clear on his face. “Dolores has many wonderful talents, but cooking is not one. I fear Evie is still a bit traumatized even after all this time.

He motioned for Amea to follow, as he led the way towards the direction Evelyn had disappeared. They exited the foyer, an area that was large but not excessively so. But still enough for there to be a lot of room, a pair of curved staircases and an ornamental chandelier hanging high above.

I’ll show you around a little, as we head towards the kitchen. My name is Lionel.” He smiled at her as he opened the doors, holding it there for Amea to pass through. “Your hand is cybernetic, right? Your right one that is.” He chuckled as he glanced over at her, tapping a finger against his nose. “A mechanic knows, and I do believe it isn’t too terribly old, you’re still a bit conscious of the fact it’s no longer purely flesh and blood.

As they took a casual pace through the home, they were drawing closer to a wall that appeared to be covered in numerous picture frames.

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

Evelyn took off and Amea’s eyes peeled back in anxiety as she realized that she was left alone with a stranger. The man seemed amused, but Amea had to keep up an active performance not to let her facade drop and let the horror show. Evelyn was gone and that was it, Amea was at the mercy of this man. She let a deep breath flow in and out of her lungs to still her nerves as she stepped back into work-mode. They entered a room, and Amea’s eyes immediately went looking for the exits.

Lionel and Dolores Shaw. By the looks of it, rich beyond what would be expected of them. By the size of the house, more bedrooms than they had a need for which was not to mention bathrooms. Amea met with Lionel halfway through her inspection of the security, her head nodding with a smile at what he was saying.

The grandmother was the one who called the shots in this household? Amea put that to memory. Lionel made a remark on her hand, and despite her best efforts to remain in work mode she found herself pulled out. A self-conscious hand tugged the other one — the fake one — close to her chest as she let out a small chuckle.

“It is, yes.” She almost blushed. Obviously she didn’t. Amea Virou would never in her life be one to blush. Except she did. “I used to dream of having a cybernetic, but now that I have it I am not sure anything has really changed.”

“So, mine is skin deep, covert.”
She said and glanced at Lionel’s back. “But yours... I detect military-grade equipment and materials, home-made firmware and modified servos, I’d say you’re using a homebrew too.”

Amea hummed. “Actually, what I’d say is that you have been working on it for maybe the last nine years. Version three-point-seven-two of the Hiroma firmware had an exploit that allowed unlicensed third-parties to modify certain hydraulic values. My guess is you piggybacked the drivers, applied them to something of your own making, and installed some form of spoof to make the rest of the servos believe they were something they are not. Like, say, a piece of civilian-grade hardware.”

“I am impressed, Lionel.”
Amea nodded. “Not many would think of that.”

Ahh, I see.” Lionel chuckled, watching Amea’s reaction. “I was the same, sort of. Although I used to dream about exploring and understanding the internals of mechanical constructs. Once I started, it didn’t feel like I was starting something new.

They passed by a wall of picture frames, each and every one of them filled. It was clear to see they were the Shaw family, both immediate and extended. Forming a spiralling pattern, with the main photo being at the centre.

It was a group image, of a much younger Evelyn in the middle flanked by slightly younger versions of Lionel and Dolores; the former not sporting an exoskeleton at the time. And between them was presumably Evelyn’s parents.

A glance at the surrounding photos made it easy to pinpoint which side of the family was Lionel’s, and which was Dolores’. Albeit, there was a significant lack of Dolores’ in comparison to her husband, for obvious reasons

Lionel raised an eyebrow, impressed at the string of knowledge that Amea was seemingly pulling out of nowhere. His eyes narrowed slightly, but it was more good-natured than suspicious.

And your knowledge is very impressive, Amea. Especially for such a simple glance at it.” He gave her a knowing look. “I’d even argue it was more than that, haven’t got some cybernetic eyes or lens, hmm?” Lionel hummed quietly, head shifting forwards slightly as he stared into the young woman’s eyes. “No, that’s not it. Rather it’s almost like you have…” The man’s voice trailed off as his memory drifted. His gaze breaking from Amea, and almost into a thousand yard stare.

Lionel shook his head. “Nevermind, come on we’re not far from the kitchen no-

Oh my god. What have you done to your hair?!” The shocked tone of Dolores Shaw echoed down the hallway.

Lionel laughed quietly. “Well, looks like Evelyn needs a little saving.

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

There was an echo in their step. Amea supposed it was because she was far too spooked to speak. Lionel carried himself with an air that demanded her respect, and even then he continued to earn it in the words he spoke and how he listened. She dropped a rant on him and he merely gave a wise nod and followed along. No argument or disagreement, though she imagined if he had them he would have aired them then and there. She understood him, and to some extent she imagined he felt the same.

“I try, Mister Shaw.” Amea laughed. This time out of genuine amusement at herself as her nerves began to wind down. “What’s wrong?”

They froze for a moment. Lionel disappeared and Amea grew worried for a moment before he snapped back to reality again. A relieved breath parted her lips as she patted him on the back on instinct and pushed on, her panic causing a spike of cold sweats yet again as she asked herself if such a pat was over-the-line.

A surprised — no, shocked — proclamation of dislike for a cosmetic change called form the kitchen. Amea rushed up to the door, nerves frayed yet again as she rushed in to find Evelyn and her grandmother in a discussion over… Evelyn’s hair?

Amea’s mouth opened, she wanted to speak out and defend Evelyn, a finger raised in defiance of her own sense of self-preservation as she slowly lowered it with a tremble.

“I think that it looks, uh- great.” Amea panicked and nodded at Evelyn. The words had flown out of her mouth at their own volition. “Your granddaughter is beautiful no matter what, Miss Shaw. Surely you can see that, too?”

Crap.

Lionel didn’t say anything about the sudden pat on his back, but he did turn to look at Amea, giving her a smile and an appreciative nod. He led the way into the kitchen, pushing the doors open to allow Amea through.

She was immediately barraged with an array of different smells. An enticing mix of different foods that combined into one. It was very reminiscent of the times she’d wake up to Evelyn already up and about, in the kitchen cooking something up.

Only this was much larger, and varied all at once.

Standing a ways into the kitchen were two women, the tallest obviously being Evelyn. The other was Dolores, standing a bit shorter than her granddaughter, but still managing to look intimidating as she was examining the younger woman’s hair. With now having seen both grandparents, it was clear to see which one was the Echani. Dolores’ hair was a darker shade of white, but not nearly as grey as Lionel’s.

The elderly woman also had shorter hair, although less stylized than Evelyn’s. Instead, Dolores’ hair fell down to her shoulders, and was much more curly/wavy in comparison. The doors opening drew both women’s attention, Evelyn with hope as she saw Amea. Dolores on the other hand narrowed her eyes slightly.

Lionel went to say something, but Amea beat him to it. He opted to remain silent, stepping side and just watching things unfold.

Dolores stepped around her granddaughter, and walked a bit closer to Amea. “Well would you look at that…” And then she suddenly broke into a wide, bright smile. “She’s as smitten with you, as you are with her, Evie.

Evelyn’s cheeks went bright red, even though she had pretty much confessed the same thing to Amea before. There was something about her grandmother openly talking about it...it summoned those butterflies in her stomach again.

The elderly Shaw stopped right before Amea, and instead of shaking her hand she pulled the young woman into a hug. “Oh please, if anyone can melt my little Eve’s heart, they deserve a hug.

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

Okay, so that was a squint. Amea steeled herself for the reaction but it was a matter of preparation that she hadn’t needed to commit to. Dolores began to smile and Amea looked away for a moment to glance at Evelyn. Their eyes met as Evelyn slowly turned into a shade of red that Amea hadn’t quite seen before. Her attention set on Dolores again. A crooked grin spread upon Amea’s lips as she tried to understand what was going on.

Before she was any the wiser she was wrapped in a tight squeeze that threatened her lungs. Part of Amea grimaced out of habit only to find that the wound didn’t hurt anymore. Once more she was struck by confusion as she slowly backed away from the elderly Echani with a nod.

“She is… Certainly very special.” Amea laughed quietly and looked over at Evelyn again. “The most special person I know.”

“Good to uhhh, see where she gets her looks from. Clearly.”
She tried to laugh it off and stepped closer towards Evelyn and the safety of her arm. “Except the hair thing, of course. That’s all me, I hear.”

Amea let out a deep breath as she struggled to speak. “But, hey, that smell. Is that the uhhh… The thing?” Change of topic. She snapped her fingers at Evelyn. “The recipe you talked about before,” She fired off a quick set of shots from her finger gun before she turned back towards Dolores and Lionel again. “With the green onion and the… Tomato. Peppers?”

Amea rubbed at her neck. “Family recipe?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom