Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Return of the Jedi | Mission to Eriadu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNlMH_HyDLE​
osl_divider.png
Since the bygone days of the Republic, a victim of its own prosperity.

An industrial revolution of ages past had transformed the once thriving world into a gray skyline of factories and smog. As other worlds discovered technologies to remove pollutants from their manufacturing, on Eriadu the destruction of the environment became the business of waste management. Poison seeped into the soil, the ground water, and the oceans drove entire species to extinction and inflicted disease upon the populace left to eek their lives beneath the grip of corporate tycoons who made their fortunes at the cost of all their futures.

Through the Four Hundred Years of Darkness, these conditions became stagnant, miring the planet it a choking miasma of smog and pollution. Until the wheels of industry began to turn again. This time against the approach of the Omega Protectorate, a struggle which caused the industrialist power structure to falter for a brief period of time. Before the Lords of the Fringe came and brought the chaos of war with them.

The influence of the Protectorate faded, allowing the ever-present shadow of Eriadu's greed to emerge anew. Salvaging the old factories or paving the way for new factories to rise from the wreckage of yesterday. All the while, dumping waste back into the poisoned planet. The grip of industry was bolstered by an influx of funding from the First Order, which brought Eriadu's industry in line with the Dosuun government.

But conflict is never far in the chaos of the galaxy today. Pirates struck. Rogue Sith Lords emerged from out of the endless night. The power of the First Order waned like that of the Omega Protectorate before it, slowly fading like the light of a dying star. And Eriadu, left fallow, steeped in the filth of generations of war, corruption, and greed.

Eriadu's future seemed as bleak as the planet's gray skyline. An industrial wasteland, stripping away the natural resources of the planet and leaving only a broken husk that was quickly becoming a world that would one day no longer be capable of sustaining life.

Unless something changed.

One by one, change started to appear. A light freighter. A frigate. One by one, a motley coalition began to emerge from out of the stars. Except, for the first time in centuries, these ships wanted nothing from Eriadu. They did not come to reap the bounty of its factories. They did not come to exploit the laborers toiling amid the pollution. They did not come to raid the corporate elite of their aurodium or lommite.

No, for the first time in centuries, ships came ferrying aid to Eriadu.

The Jedi had returned.
osl_divider.png
Welcome to the Jedi Mission to Eriadu!
Here's a thread about Jedi doing what they do best: serve the people. Below are just a few ideas of what you can do in this thread. Find a partner, bring a friend, and let's tell good stories (and maybe have a little fun doing it).

Objective I: Environmental Clean-Up
While Eriadu is a modern, technologically advanced world, it's historically eschewed all the atmosphere scrubbers and waste management technologies that have prevented this kind of ecological disaster on similarly industrialized worlds. Clean up the beach, seek ways to improve the water quality, or leech heavy metals from out of the soil. As animals have gone extinct, the planet's ecosystems have been disrupted. Can you find a way to restore them?

Objective II: Improve Working Conditions
Industry will always exist. People need a means of earning a wage, of earning a living. We know there is a way for industrialization and habitation to co-exist, because it does so on every other planet in the known galaxy. Teach the people in government how to use atmosphere scrubbing technologies, instruct factory managers on alternatives to dumping their toxic waste, look for ways to shield the workers and their families from the heavy metals.

Objective III: Heal the People
While improving the environment and living/working conditions is a noble goal, the fact is that the damage is done. The ground water is laden with heavy metals. The air is laced with toxic chemicals. The oceans are an alkaline mess. Living among these environmental hazards has exacted a human cost. Respiratory disease, cancer, birth defects, high rates of sterilization... the list is exhaustive. Can you ease the pain? Can you soothe the wounds? Can you bring hope for a cure?

Bring Your Own Objective
Because no one can tell you how to Jedi.
[member="Théodred Heavenshield"] | [member="Sigyn Vanir"] | [member="Mahored Eru"] | [member="Máni"]
[member="Maokai Bantam"] | [member="Jerek Zenduu"] | [member="Allya Vi'Dreya"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IxMj_Ut3oM​

Objective: Deliver medical supplies, food, blankets, clothing, basic breathing masks, chemical analyzers, and environmental clean up droids

Mood: Contemplative

emptybar.png

I'm no Jedi.

The Unyielding Faith dropped out of hyperspace, in all it's glory. The ship slipped quickly through the traffic that headed in and out of the planet, Comm crew members reached out and gained clearance from Eriadu space traffic control. The corvette's massive cargo holds were filled with medicine, analyzers, droids, foodstuffs, blankets, cloth for clothing, and various machines that could make life easier for at least a small fraction of the population.

Allya stood on the bridge, and gazed out the front view port, deep in thought. What had brought her here? Even she wasn't completely sure. Sith teachings told her that these people were beyond saving. It was better to quickly strip the planet of its remaining resources, and remove those who were healthiest and most capable to another planet to start over, and leave those that would require more intensive care here. The people had chosen their own fate over millennia.

The Mandalorian in her saw this as a chance for the people to prove themselves capable. True many would die, but they could rise above it, and allow the new harshness of their environment strengthen them, as with the Mando'ade on Mandalore. And yet, this didn't sit right inside her either. So much had changed lately, she wasn't sure what she was, or what she wanted.

Even still, it was not in her nature to sit back and let people suffer when she had the power to help them. She was passionate, energetic, happy, and overflowing with joy. The teen desperately wanted to make it so others could be too. Yet, all this simply made her question it all even more.

She bounced on her toes a bit, and looked to the captain. The woman was a bit taller than Allya, and sat in the command chair, she had a serious look. “Captain Whey, Have everything ready for unloading upon arrival.”

The dark haired captain looked over at Allya and gave a slight smirk. That bouncing, it was always such a tell that the girl was overly excited by something. Try as she would to hide it, Allya was an open book when you got to know her. So emotional, so pure, so devoted. “As you desire, Lady Vi'Dreya.” Allya's nose scrunched up, and this look of utter shock crossed her face as the captain called her Lady Vi'Dreya. Captain Jane Whey laughed her head off, and the helmsman kept in a snicker. Allya stuck her tongue out at them. “Hey now! I am not a lady! Wait.....”

This caused the helmsman, Beverly Chapel to break out in a gigglesnort. “Oh by the stars Allya, you are so easy to pick on child. You just fall right into them one after another! HAHA!”

As the helmsman laughed, the small teen went cross eyed then she stomped her foot, puffed out her cheeks for a second, and finally burst out laughing herself. “I really do fall into these word issues. Like badly. Ahhh!” She shook her head and laughed loudly some more.

The captain had a big smile on her face now. “Doctor Bones, please make sure we have an accurate list of supplies ready to distribute. Comms, try and find the Jedi we are supposed to meet. We need to know exactly where to land this bird.”

Allya rolled her eyes at the teasing, but had this goofy grin on her face. It was nice to be home. It was nice her home could travel all over. This was amazing, she could do so much more now. The ship was soon in orbit, awaiting word from the Jedi. She wasn't a Jedi. But frankly she wasn't sure what she was anymore. Part of her didn't care anymore.

I'm just Allya.
[member="Jerek Zenduu"] | [member="Sor-Jan Xantha"]​

Trajectory: The Ja Highlands
Nearby: Stars and Emptiness

Tasks
  • Clear away the waste in the Highlands
  • Work with accompanying Sacred Lotus healers to revitalize the preserve and allow ideal conditions to start the reintroduction process.
  • Set up a secure and safe area in which to promote the growth and reintroduction of wildlife on the Highlands
  • Find a way to cleanse the air of the taint from the local industries.
  • Rinse-and-Repeat.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD0XEH3qVCk[/video]​

Aboard one of the many ships that had answered the call of the Sacred Lotus, a previously unheard of Order to the padawan, the non-traditional Valkyri warrior focused on his meditations as was his way of late. In the last several weeks, after the events of Midvinter, the young man had lost much of the faith that he once carried in himself. He had taken it upon himself to alter his path to that of a more studious and academic nature, rather than the path of the Warrior as was typical of his people. In this way, he found that he could better serve the galaxy until the time came that he was able to find his faith and confidence once more. He had chosen to neglect the way of the warrior and to focus on the way of knowledge. There was not much that he was confident about anymore, but he was sure that he had made the right choice and thus was content to continue his meditations, allowing his ever-increasing senses to expand beyond the borders of his own mind and to interact with the objects and personalities of those around him - though he was careful not to pry into the thoughts of feelings of them.

As his mind touched those around him, with the lightest of caresses as if he were silk trailing the length of one's arm, he noticed that each mind was as unique as the last and each personality was as equally different and vibrant as the one before and after. It was a humbling experience to be sure, if not an enlightening one as well. On his homeworld, things were very different.

From a young age, he was taught that his abilities were a gift from the gods but his path was to be that of a warrior; he was content in his ignorance of what lay beyond the icy veil that was the planet Midvinter. If he had not made the choices that he did, experienced what he had and been through what he had gone through, then perhaps he would have missed the true pleasure it was to see that such life existed on a plane that was invisible to the naked eye. The mysterious entity that was commonly referred to as "The Force" was the gateway to a plane that a great many denizens took for granted, a rich and vibrant plane that echoed of emotions that lay hidden beyond what was visible or noticed with one's own eyes. A world wherein life existed beyond mortal confines and where true beauty could be found. It was all too much for the padawan to bear as he withdrew within himself once more and opened his eyes to see the grey-murk that was to be Eriadu, he assumed.

"This is the world that is called Eriadu?", he questioned with disbelief as thick and pungent in his tone as the very air on the world beyond.

"War leaves behind devastation too ghastly to believe, and as it so often does, what should have been a paradise is reduced to what you see before you." answered one of the senior crew of the ship. Mani turned to regard the man with curiosity, listening intently to his every word. "Though of course, it is not only war that caused the planet to succumb to the degradation that it has endured, but also the never-ceasing hunger for wealth and power that is often found within the very core of the residents of this galaxy. There is much that I wish could be changed in the hearts of men and women alike. It is part of the reason that I chose to become a un-official member of the Sacred Lotus, though I have no power as the Jedi do, I have the Heart and Will to see a change in the galaxy. These folks mean to be that change and I will work to see their mission to success because the future generations deserve to live in a galaxy still teeming with life and the natural world. They do not need to see only death, war, famine, and the destruction of planets through the various sources. They need to believe that there is still a chance for life to spring from the ashes, to see that there is hope for us yet; just beyond the horizon, waiting for those with the fortitude to set a course for it."

As the senior officer finished his small speech, Mani found himself at a loss for words. He could only look beyond the viewport of the bridge, to the planet beyond, in search of the same faith that the man beside him held. If he could find that kind of faith and surety in what he was trying to accomplish, then perhaps he could truly make the difference that he wanted to make.

[ objective 2 ]
He'd been to Eriadu one other time before.

It had been during the golden age of the Galactic Republic, before the start of the Yinchorri Uprising and the slow descent into madness that had been the Clone Wars. Sor-Jan, then a Jedi Knight, had been dispatched to Eriadu in order to resolve a dispute between Eriadu and the Galactic Senate concerning the status of the three million slaves on the planet at the time. The negotiations had not gone well, but the Republic's economic embargoes had helped to win the day then.

Now the Republic was a distant memory, making the young Anzat wonder whether or not slavery had returned. If so, he'd be afraid to ask what the population demographics would be like now, eight hundred years after the fall of the Republic.

The circular shape of a Corellian YT-2400 cut against the particulates in the air. Through the haze of smog, the distinctive freighter emerged from out of the toxic mist to land atop one of the landing pads normally reserved for merchant traffic, on the commercial side of the spaceport.

As the loading ramp lowered down to the ground, the silhouette of three figures were visible inside of the Alderaan Queen. The Anzat Jedi wore a spacer jacket over a casual shirt that was tucked inside of dark trousers that featured a distinctive gold piping along the sides. A young Mandalorian boy and a BB unit were nearby, as the trio seemed to be saying their goodbyes.

"These meetings would bore you," Sor-Jan was remarking to the other boy. A moment passed, then the two-headed youngling knight added, "They'll bore me. No reason for us both to be bored. Stay here and keep an eye on the Queen."

With that, the small Jedi made his way down the ramp. Already, he could feel his eyes watering. Something on the wind was causing a mild tingling sensation that made him feel as though his eyes were itching. From the com-scan report of the atmospheric composition, he could only imagine one of several things that could be.

Which was precisely what he had come to talk about.

Strolling out from under the Corellian ship, the boy began to approach a gathering of drab-looking men in turbans that were standing off a short distance away. That would be the Eriadu Manufacturing representatives. Business executives that Sor-Jan had come to try and convince them to invest their money into helping to clean up the mess that they'd made.

...no, he wasn't optimistic about what was about the happen.

But, he was doing it anyway.

As the Jedi departed, the young clone cadet closed the blast door to keep the outside air on the outside.

SJ had said that he was going to be bored if he'd gone to the meeting, but what was going to do on the Queen by himself except be bored? There was nothing to do on this ship. Nevermind the HoloNet feed with three hundred channels and infinite access to the entire Corellia Digital holo-game library with just about every holo-game console imaginable stashed away in the crew lounge.

The blue accented BB unit came wheeling around the corner, bleeping at the dark skinned boy.

The child's nose wiggled as confusion played out across his face. "Unyielding what?"

Another series of bleeps. Maybe a few bloops. "Oh, a ship," Three realized after another moment. He wasn't as good with this droidspeak stuff as SJ was.

Making his way through the interior of the Corellian freighter, the small clone trooper pulled himself into his usual co-pilot's seat and then donned a com-link headset. On the com-scan read-out, he could see that more ships were arriving. And were asking where to go.

Which, how was he supposed to know? This was supposed to be a Jedi mission to Eriadu, not a Clone Trooper deployment.

And where was the Jedi? Conveniently not here, as per the usual.

Clone Trooper mission to Eriadu it was then.

"Unyielding Faith, this is Alderaan Queen. Transmitting landing coordinates."

[member="Allya Vi'Dreya"] | [member="Jerek Zenduu"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da5qQD_RpEQ​
bhWyJZe.gif
(Objective 2ish)
"You need to learn from many masters to become the man you should be my son, search out one with the face of a child but eyes centuries old. Master [member="Sor-Jan Xantha"] as forgot more about the force than i'll ever know. Seek him out on Eurida, help him in his mission if you can. The law can wait a bit while you grow."

***​

I'm not some fething child, well technically I'm your kid but you know what I mean dad. I have my badge, my gun, I should be serving the outer rim. Why have sent me here?

Maokai's inner diolog continued raged on in his head as he watched the clouds of smog and acid rain pass by his window. The shuttle was on final approach and was circling the landing pad. Touching down next to TY-2400 he was one of the last off the transport, really in no hurry to find this master his father was so keen on him meeting. Did he even know he was coming? Knowing his father, Master Xantha probably had no clue Maokai was coming but that mattered little. His father and a high ranking Judge had ordered him to this ball of poison gas and alkaline sea's. A double whammy of command he had no choice but to obey.

Taking a deep breath from his recycler and with what little kit he had starting walking toward the terminal. "Master Xantha, you don't know me but my father, Marshall Bryce Bantam sends his regards. He has ordered me to assist you here on Eurida, how can I be of assistance?"

Objective I.5: Environmental Issues
[member="Nina Heavenshield"]

Xrr4bJI.png

“Exactly what do you do with yourself on Midvinter?”, he asked Nina as he took another water sample from the Phelar Floe. Théo did not need samples to tell him the river was dead, but they needed to know what exactly was in it before any sort of clean up could be structured. He placed his elbows on his knees and looked out over the river to the other side, not a sign of life anywhere, and very little could be sensed through the force. It was a view that he had not seen in years, such desolation and abject destruction of a planet a stark contrast to life on his home planet.

Théo raised his hand and coughed into it, since coming here he had developed this nagging cough which was due to the toxic air and the stench along the river. It was hot and stifling and he was so grateful for his cooler vest or he would not be able to stand the conditions for long beginning acclimatised to Midvinter.

He had not seen Nina since the birth of Thora, his daughter, and even then was unable to spend quality time with her so wrapped up in the arrival of his child. It was good she was here, she has much more of a handle on things like this than him, the skills of a warrior not really required on this mission, but when [member="Sor-Jan Xantha"] had sent out a request for help .. Théo answered, mostly because the young old master had aided Midvinter in her time of need. Besides it is what Jedi do.

“I think we should get more samples up river before we head back to the Tarly. I don’t really want to stay here any longer than necessary”, he coughed once more. “And from the map there is a settlement up there”. He pointed up river which vanished around a bend, the only sign of this settlement was some dirty pink vapours streaming up into the grey sky.

VOLUNTEER CLINIC
ERIADU CITY SLUMS
OBJECTIVE THREE

The days had begun to blur together, for there was never a shortage of work to be done.

Jedi Master Oros had returned from the Firefist galaxy to find his order fallen, his people scattered, his temple destroyed. Now a fugitive in what had once been his homeland, like many others the celegian went into hiding. Eriadu would not have been his first choice, but there was a need among the people here and it was one of the only planets in First Order space where storing industrial quantities of cyanogen wasn't strictly regulated. The irony was not lost on him that the same rampant pollution that kept his free clinic so packed was what had kept him hidden.

"Doctor Oros, you are needed to assist."

I will be there presently, a naturally gifted telepath, Oros' thoughts took on a pleasing tone in the orderly's mind like crystal chimes.

They had run out of bacta nearly a week ago, so he was needed more and more now. A select trusted few on the clinic staff knew of his more supernatural gifts for healing, and had gone during extraordinary lengths during the Imperial reign to conceal his true identity. Now the First Order was gone, or so the rumors said, but down here among the people it seemed impossible to tell the difference. True, essential supplies were more difficult to come by than ever before, but nevertheless it seemed better to err on the side of caution and remain hidden for now.

What seems to be the problem here?

Just a few years ago the mere sight of him would have terrified even full grown adult humanoids, but the strange floating brain doctor had since become a staple of the local community and so his presence was a mere idle curiosity to the adolescent rodian patient he had been delivered to inspect. She merely tilted her head to the side, eyes widening a little, before letting out a whooping cough. Oros waggled a tentacle at her in imitation of a humanoid wave, which seemed to delight and befuddle.

I see, the Jedi Master repeated here and there, examining her chart while both parents anxiously detailed their anecdotal observations.

The little girl had severe respiratory problems, and they lacked the proper medication to alleviate her symptom's root cause. Oros saw why he had been called in, there was much the other doctors could do to make her comfortable but without greater intervention this child's days were numbered. Under the pretext of consulting with her primary physician, the celegian in fact fell into a deep meditation. Reaching out with the Force, he could 'see' the particulates inflaming the poor girl's respiratory system, and it was a simple matter to wish them away. Her coughing subsided almost immediately.

"Doctor Oros here is an expert," the primary physician explained, "He's going to adjust your daughter's regimen here to account for rodian physiology."

In fact, he was simply running a harmless IV of saline solution. The real magic was occurring on a deeper plane of existence, now that he had alleviated her chronic symptoms he was intent on eradicating the underlying disease. With the Force as its ally, the sentient mind was capable of some truly wondrous things. There were more cells in this small child than stars in the sky, and yet somehow trained Jedi like himself were capable of straining away that which was malignant or cancerous and leaving only the synchronicity of nature behind.

That should do the trick, he commented at last, pretending to examine the dummy IV, She should begin feeling the effects quite soon, but I'll check back with you later to be sure.

Politely excusing himself from the company of his peers, Oros retired at last from the clinic's ground floor and ascended to the small loft that had been set aside for his personal use. There was still a long day's work ahead, but every once in a while the Jedi needed a little silence and solitude to recuperate and center his mind. It had become a familiar ritual, often practiced before, but this time unlike so many others something had changed in the passing interval. He could sense it before he heard it, a muffled chirping buried among the celegian's scant few material possessions, mostly keepsakes.

Battered and faded but still operational, the Jedi beacon he had activated when he first returned home was beeping insistently. For the first time in years, it had picked up another signal. Beacon technology was a rare and closely guarded secret, their chances of being faked were low. So Jedi had returned to Eriadu, perhaps there was more to this rumor of the First Order's demise after all.

Objective I: Environmental Clean-up

Nina looked up at her brother and smirked at his question while finishing up taking their sample. "Wouldn't you like to know," she teased only to stand and begin packing their equipment before they could move on to the next location. "You know, I think it was sometime around Mum and Dad establishing the Westmark that I made up my mind how I would be of service to Midvinter," she proceeded to give him an honest answer, putting on her backpack once ready to move out. She may not be as big and strong as her little brother, but she'd been on the road for a long time. Walking had become her element, and of course she did not mind the warm climate as a Valkyri would.

"I'll never be able to match you or Father on the battlefield, so I decided I would instead grant the people knowledge; knowledge of their own history and the world they live in. That's why I'm always on the road with trusty Arnie - I'm writing down the definitive, full history of our homeworld. We want to get it right, hence why we visit every place and settlement we can for their take on it so we can compile it all together. It's taken far longer than I had thought." She turned to Théo with a smile. "And should we encounter trouble on the way, we'll of course try our best solving it."

She reached for his hand as they walked, moving closer to rest her head upon his tall shoulder. "I still can't believe you're a father, Théo. Married with children... I mean, you of all people," she ribbed him gently, not intended to provoke a reaction out of him. It had simply become their rapport over the years, poking fun at each other. "I'm proud of you, Toe. You've given peace to Father, knowing his family will live on."

They eventually reached the riverbend where they would take their next sample. Théo's cough had her concerned and so she dug into her pack and pulled out a rebreather and handed it to him. "Here, this'll help filtering out these nasty fumes. I'm assuming you didn't see fit to bring one yourself," she raised an eyebrow. "Use it sparingly, in case we have to share." She was fine for now, perhaps her brother was more exposed due to their differing physiology. Though she wasn't about to dunk her head in the stuff anytime soon to prove her theory.

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"]

[ objective 2 ]
The man walking toward him was obviously a Zeltron.

Or, very Near-Zeltron in any case. The purple-pink hue was unmistakable, a close match to that of [member="Marque"]. Though, as the young man drew closer it was a different name that came to mind. Something about this one made him recall [member="Bryce Bantam"].

And, apparently, the resemblance was more than just skin deep.

"Your father is one is one of the best men that I know of," the boy remarked, recalling a number of situations where the Zeltron Marshall had proven himself a capable member of the Kathol Outback and fledgling Coalition. Uukaablis. Terminus. Exocron. Demonsgate. "If he thinks that you have anything to learn from me, then I should be honored by your presence."

Motioning to himself for a moment, the Anzati offered, "My name is Sor-Jan," before motioning toward the three rather severe-looking businessmen, whom were introduced to him as, "You're just in time to see me argue with Ignorance, Greed, and Sloth."

Without missing a beat, the boy brightly chirped, "...it should prove a riveting time!"

It really wouldn't.

"But what about you," the boy asked. "Or should I just call you Deputy Bantam?"

[member="Maokai Bantam"]

OBJECTIVE: III and I (Healing while setting up minor environmental facilities)

Tyran stood in the back of the bridge of the cargo vessel Heart of Wonder as it descended through cloud and smog towards the surface of the planet Eriadu. He had come to the bridge prepared, his mind focused so he would not be taken aback by what he saw. Even with his precaution, however, he was momentarily stunned when the surface of the planet came into view, large blocky shapes in the smog. Growing up on Kashyyk, surrounded by nature, he was always astounded by his people and what they would do to planets in the name of industry.

"Sir Knight, we will be making landfall in the west of Eriadu City at the site of the new greenhouses in just a few moments." The captain of the cargo vessel turned and walked over to Tyran.

"Aye, I'll go see to the cargo. Once we have it offloaded, you will be free to go Captain. Thank you for your service in this, I will not forget." Tyran said, focusing on the captain made the soft smile easier.

The captain nodded and turned back to the landing preparations, and Tyran went towards the cargo hold.

After a few minutes, Tyran felt the ship settle, and the far end of the cargo hold opened steadily on the site of where they would be setting up a series of greenhouses under the auspice of a newly local medical group. Tyran was helping as the plan was in coordination with various Jedi organizations, and included setting up beautification projects throughout the city using plants to be grown there. In the hold they had seeds for Millaflower, Bubse Trees, and Barenth Plants, all known for various medicinal and calming effects.

"Alright, let's get this stuff unloaded so the good captain can be on his merry." Tyran said out loud and took the tether to a massive crate of top grade soil brought in from a botanical group on Alderaan. The crate moved easily on the zero Gee skids, and the rest of offloading went just as easily. As the cargo vessel lifted off, Tyran opened a crate of equipment and motioned to the workers with him. "Grab a gravity sledge and hard hat, lets knock down some walls."

He glanced over at the decrepit buildings around them and took as deep a breath as he could before doing as he said and moved in their direction.

[member="Nina Heavenshield"]

Xrr4bJI.png

dHmWR1Y.jpg

"Thanks", he said with a grin as he pocketed the re-breather to save for later if they both needed it. At the moment for Théo it was not required, at least he believed that he could go on some more until he felt any form of discomfort. As if reacting to his own thoughts he coughed twice feeling his lungs compress with the labour of it. To change the subject and remove any attention drawn to himself from Nina, "You have your work cut out for you. Midvinter's history is vast to say the least, and not documented so it would be a good thing to do. You are going to need a large tome for my story", he grinned more and winked at her. "Father is no more proud of me as he is of you Nina. You are his favourite after all", he gave her a mocked look of sadness.

The moment between the two of them fell into a different mood as they turned the bend in the river, before them lay the settlement on the map, and from where they stood it was nothing more than a junk yard in which people lived and worked to eek out something of a living. The water of the river thicker with toxins and rainbow coloured streams ran within the slush, leaks from pile of metal and waste. Théo turned and looked at Nina with a sense of dismay, disbelief that this was allowed to happen, not only that, but people would want to live here.

The air was thicker too, the dirty pink haze rank with chemicals and changed colour as light passed through it. Rats darted among the junk as he and Nina approached, but not because of fear of them but because they were not dead yet and provided no source of food. "From the information in the files, these people are descends of slaves and don't trust strangers, so be on your guard". Théo popped open another veil to take the last water sample and as his hand entered the 'water', it stung his skin like acid which he reacted to with a hiss of pain. "Damn it". The skin on his hand bubbling with the burn, the cough was now the least of his worries.

There was something very wrong here, a sense of it was felt through the force, yet he was unable to focus like there was an interference and Théo put it down to his distraction of his injury .. for now. But the hairs on the back of his neck sent a cold shiver through his entire body.

She gave him a poke in the ribs with her elbow. "You know Dad doesn't have favourites. He loves everyone equally, they both do. I'm just lucky to have spent the most time with him, is all." It had never been something Nina even considered, one of them being above the others in the eyes of their parents. The three of them were all so different, after all. "Haven't gotten to you, yet," she glanced sideways. "I'm reserving judgement on what secrets to reveal to the public. So. Many. Secrets." She giggled and hugged her brother's arm just as they approached what was supposedly a settlement. In actuality, it seemed more akin to a literal wasteland, with the contaminated river almost luminescent the farther up it slithered.

Her hand instinctively settled on her belt, inches from her lightsaber hilt. "By the Gods, how do these people stand living like this? Trudging through their own filth with only rats for company..." What few civilians she managed to get a closer look at appeared malnourished and dazed, as if not fully registering what was going on. Others seemed more aggressive, and she could hear angry shouting going on in the background. No doubt this was a place where only the toughest and meanest survived, likely taking whatever they can find from those unable to defend themselves. If there was something Nina could not stand, it was bullying behaviour.

"Théo, I don't think you should--" As he stuck his hand in the poisonous water he recoiled with pain. "Théo!" She grabbed and pulled him back from the riverside, sitting him down on a hunk of scrap metal. She produced a bacta spray to douse his hand with in order to keep the acidic burns from getting worse, then wrapped some bandage around it. "This'll help cool you off and restore the use of your hand. Hopefully it'll prevent scarring too." Nina placed a hand on his shoulder and offered a smile of reasurrance. Despite him being much bigger than her, he would always be her little brother. Soon after a large bubble burst in the river, squirting its poison up onto the riverbank close to their feet. "Something tells me this stuff is what's ruined this land. What used to be green and alive would surely have been destroyed from mere contact." She crouched down by a tiny puddle of it and used a pipette to collect some in a glass phial.

"Hey! Who are you two? What are you doing there?" An angry voice belonging to a local demanded their attention, approaching with a group of similarly-minded individuals. "Don't y'all look fancy, with all that offworld fashion and tech on your persons. And you," he stepped towards Nina standing by her brother. "Aren't you the pretty one. Yeah, real pretty..." The leader of the group licked his lips with a slimy tongue, brushing a hand through his filthy hair as if it would make a difference. All Nina did was let out an annoyed sigh and held out her hand, and suddenly the entire mob would find themselves pushed up against the edge of the river, desperately trying to cling to land and not fall in as drops of acidic water would eat away at their ragged clothes.

"Is that your way of greeting new friends," she approached the leader looking terrified. She lowered her hand and they were returned the use of their legs, all of them falling to the ground shivering in terror. "Now, how about we start over? I'm Nina," she extended her hand for a shake, offering a smile. "That there's my brother Théo." Timidly the leader accepted the handshake, and was surprised when she used it to pull him up on his feet. "How about you tell us what happened here? Something must have caused the river to become this way."

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"]

bhWyJZe.gif
(Objective 2ish)
***​
("You're just in time to see me argue with Ignorance, Greed, and Sloth.")

"The triple threat huh. Seems like these guys take root on every planet don't they." Maokai said with a smile.

The young judge appreciated the cander and wise guy honesty. If this was a sample of the master he was here to learn from then things are looking up. Looking around at the drap surrounding of the toxic belching port Maokai wondered what "auguement" [member="Sor-Jan Xantha"] was planning on making.

"Most folks call me Maokai, but my friends call me Mako. As for the old man, most folks say that and it is appreciated. Big shoes and all so working to do the name proud."

It was always a major concern for Maokai, he knew all to well his father reputation. But his dad was not one to let his first born skate on it. No he had been raised by Auntie Joza, taught how to survive on the wild. Then turned loose on the verse to make his own way. With a ship still pending, the standard kit of a judge and barely two talons to rub together.

"So where to boss, your "learner" is ready for his first lesson."

Location: Unloading cargo from the Unyielding Faith, Phelar Spaceport, Eriadu
Equipment: Jedi Padawan robes, Lightsaber, Chronometer, Utility Belt
Nearby: [member="Allya Vi'Dreya"]
Objective II: Improve Working Conditions

crystal.png

"You know, you don't have to always frown and glare at me."

Jerek glanced over at the Sandali man after his offhand remark, looking away from his work. The man's eyes were starting to drill holes in his back, and he very much liked his back to stay whole.

"I'm not glaring," returned the quiet-spoken man, but the padawan noted that his frown quickly smoothed out into a flat, thin line across his face. He couldn't decide if that was better or worse.

"You do spend an awful lot of time glaring, Brandjii," Ves-Lei Kruster offered, grinning a smile that was far too wide for his face. It was almost a permanent fixture, and never spelled good fortune. It was as if his constant litany of tasks was to keep the spiky-haired man busy and out of the mischief he would surely get into otherwise. Jerek didn't mind him around, but he was often grateful when Ves-Lei was called elsewhere, the man was only entertaining in small doses.

Or when giving Brandjii Ottis a hard time.

"I don't glare." The hard man turned his withering gaze on Jerek's companion for his task, unloading the cargo which was to be ferried around various points of Phelar. The port city was a nexus for activity, so it seemed appropriate to start there and provide for a large portion of the population. And with some of the largest cargo items, atmospheric scrubbers, that the Unyielding Faith had brought along, Phelar's overgrown toxic haze was a prime target for the machinery's critical role in starting to heal the world. "I'm simply a keen observer of my environment."

"You could be a keen helper of your environment," the teen shot back in reply, giving his head a shake to clear his hair away from his eyes. He either needed a haircut or to grow out his blond locks to the point where he could pull them back. "This cargo doesn't unload itself."

"Which is precisely why you two have been assigned." Jerek thought he detected a smirk behind that unwavering line of Ottis' mouth. He was no stranger to the ship's Security Chief or the man's droll wit, or being the target of its aim. Handpicked by his girlfriend's uncle to guard her, it often seemed like Ottis viewed Jerek himself as much of a threat as a real enemy. The teen was content to stay out of the man's way for the most part, and this conversation was only serving to remind him why he should.

"Was that an insult? That felt like an insult," Ves-Lei had stopped his work now, even as the cargo droids continued loading from the pallet he had directed them to. Jerek's, meanwhile, were sorting through several, taking the items he deemed would be most necessary despite being scattered across several cargo container pallets. The remainder of their contents was strewn on the ground around them, but the boy felt it was better to get the right supplies out first than to waste time rerouting them later on. He and [member="Allya Vi'Dreya"] were supposed to be helping train some of the Eriadu workers on the new atmospheric scrubbers and other tech that the Jedi convoy had brought along, so once he was done unloading the cargo, the padawan didn't want it interrupting them again.

"Let's get back to work." The padawan tried to choose the higher road. "I think Chief Ottis feels he couldn't possibly manage this task any better. Or faster." Okay, maybe that was the higher droll road.

"Indeed."

Now it was Jerek's turn to frown, but he had to hand it to Ottis. The man's clipped response was as cutting and clever as he had tried to be. That grated on him almost as much as feeling so untrustworthy that even cargo unloading had to be supervised. Perhaps the Sandali was there more for Ves-Lei, but he knew that the dark-skinned man was particularly focused on the boy and his behavior, he felt eyes on him throughout many of the ship's more public areas. He was grateful, then, that Allya was often eager to spend time with her boyfriend in private.

Jerek shook his head again, this time to clear his thoughts. They were here to help the people of Eriadu, not to sneak away for some romantic moment. To aid a world that had often been exploited by the various governments that had once held sway over it, the First Order only being the most recent of those. The First Order had pumped oodles of credits into its industry, which had in turn pumped oodles of toxins into the atmosphere. That it merely continued a millenia-long haze of smog and pollution was no cause for excuse in the matter, the beings who called Eriadu their home deserved to live in one that didn't threaten to choke them for the simple crime of breathing.

The air scrubbers should help take care of that. And the water filtration systems, the liquid air containers for food storage, anti-pollution skin creams for reducing superficial effects on organic beings, and a host of other technologies to heal Eriadu's toxic skies. Perhaps they could not fix the world, some were simply too far gone or their people too entrenched in their ways. But if Jerek and Allya, or the Jedi in general, could help only a few lives improve, then they had succeeded.

That was what he had to keep telling himself every time he gazed at the grey soup in the place where sky should be, and when he shivered it was not at the lack of sun's rays but at a sadness for a population that would never see its beauty.

If he could have a hope for that future though, then it was his duty to bring that to Eriadu as well.

@Nina Heavenshield

Xrr4bJI.png

"Been like this for years", pointing to the polluted river, the leader of the group informed Nina. "Little lady this place is rotting, leaks from not only the waste you see here, but mostly it comes from up stream, from the city .. lets just say they don't regulate what they dump into the water". This drew laughter from the group behind him, illegal waste dumping had been a long term practice and had become 'legal'.

Théo had sat and watched the whole show from his metal front row seat, with a knowing grin on his face. Of course he was protective of his sister, all his sisters in fact, but Nina could take care of herself more so then Mysa. And if the group had decided to try something more, they would have had two Heavenshields to deal with, hurt hand or no hurt hand. The bacta spray had helped greatly, and with the use of the force to push away the pain he could more than focus on the situation.

The leader looked Théo over as he stood up from his seat and stood next to his sister, just making sure the group understood clearly just what they were dealing with, Théo towered over them all, and he is not built slightly but he couldn't help teasing his sister. "That was not very Jedi like, threatening them like that", he leaned by her ear to whisper. "Father would be so disappointed, mother would be so proud", he chuckled.

"I'm Théo", he did not give his hand to shake. "We represent a Jedi faction called the Dawnguard, part of a Jedi Alliance group that has come here to help in any way we can". Times like these introductions are when one finds out which side they are on, Jedi friendly or Sith friendly? By the reaction to his words? neither. That was good enough for him.

The signs in the river, the bubbling forming on the surface of the water was an indication of something far more important and immediately that needed to be addressed. And not through talk. The small amounts of fumes released when the bubbles popped were not only toxic and volatile, at present there was not enough heavy gasses to ignite any situation but that could change in a instant. Théo gently tugged on Nina's sleeve and drew her away to speak as privately as possible.

"We got to get these people out of here" he nodded toward the river just as another bubble popped causing the air around them to thicken with the rank odour. It would not be easy to convince them to suddenly leave their home for what it was worth, certainly not by strangers appearing out of nowhere but, "It is not only dangerous to breath but .. the river will explode at any minute, anything could set it off". Maybe Nina has the upper hand here, the group leader having taken a shine to her. But one false move toward his sister, Théo would take no quarter.

[ objective 2 ]
"...compared to your posted profits for the past year, the technology will cost you almost nothing."

They'd been at it for the better part of an hour now. Mako and Sor-Jan had been ushered into a conference room. At first, it was clear that there were two agendas in the room. Eriadu Manufacturing was interested in Corellia Digital's money, which Sor-Jan represented. And the Anzat wasn't buying, instead trying to turn the conversation away from investment and toward manufacturing processes.

For the better part of that hour, it wasn't clear that the two sides were even listening to the other. Actual dialogue had only emerged in the last ten minutes.

And it seemed to be grinding to a halt. "But there is still a cost," one of the businessmen uttered dismissively.

A second gave a nod of agreement, asking, "Why should we make such an investment? For centuries, our business has continued without such... trivialities."

The young Anzat gave a flicker of a wan smile. He was irked by the attitudes displayed before him, and would have had a hard time not showing it were it not for a belief that the effort might yet be worth something. The Corellia and Coruscant that he'd grown up on had been every bit as industrial as this world, yet never had any of its business thought to describe their recycling and waste management technologies as anything trivial.

These three men were absolutely content to line their pockets while the world around them perished.

If they had been dealing with an older Sor-Jan... he wondered whether he would handle this situation any differently.

Or would a full fledged Anzat even care for the needs of ordinary people?

Finally, the boy offered, "The waste that you dump contained heavy metals and other chemicals that could easily be recovered, recycled, and used elsewhere in your manufacturing -- reducing both your overhead and your operating costs." He paused there a moment, before adding, "You can't tell me neither of those at least interest you."

They were possessed of greed, but they were not monsters. If he could appeal to their motivation for profit, then they might reach an accord.

The chime of a comlink interrupted the assembly. One of the business men rose from the table. "I have a call that I have to take," he announced curtly, before adding a perfunctory, "If you'll excuse me."

A third Eriadu merchant gave a nod of his head. "Perhaps we should take a recess," the man offered, as the other two remaining executives rose from the table and then strolled from out of the room.

Left to themselves, Sor-Jan just mused aloud. "Defeating an opponent is easy. You need only overwhelm or best them. Now, diplomacy? The goal is to make peace with your opponent. A far more difficult task."

Maokai had come looking for Sor-Jan to teach him, yet in this moment, if Maokai had any thoughts or advice of his own to offer, then the boy was all ears.

[member="Maokai Bantam"]

bhWyJZe.gif
(Objective 2-ish)

Mako had a wiry smile that came across his face, "We can still over whelm them, not with force of might, but force of commerce and law."

The young judge went to his wrist and scrolled through a few items before looking back to his wise teacher.

"You hear about the current operation in Sullest? The Alliance is reclaiming the homeland so to speak, only one system away. Now they don't have the power they once weld but they are supported by the Coalition. Now the Coalition is all for this, they want the trade routes to the core back open. So with the power vacuum left with the with draw of the First Order It is only a matter of time before some of these planets throw in their lot with the Alliance or ORC. With the ORC comes the law and the Judges and we tend to side with the innocent and suffering over fething rich organization."

Maokai paused for a minute to make sure Sor-Jan was still with him before he continued.

"Wouldn't take but a moment for me to raise the question if the people of this planet were having their civil rights taken from them. A call to my father to get a council of three here to arrest the heads of the companies and try them all for neglance, and manslaughter. It would be a bad end for them, an ending that almost seems enviable right?"

The young judge smiled as he looked out that the acid filled sky's. Nodding thoughtfully he paused for a moment and down at the badge on his coat before looking back at the filthy rich Jedi.

"Now if you asked me for my advice I would say these business types have a built in scapegoat. It was the First Order, they made us do it... We didn't have a choice... We invited Corellian Digital here, we needed his help, loans and such to begin to undo the damage THEY made us do... Honestly it would go along way to preventing their ... incarceration if they made good before the ORC arrived. You know showed their good intentions without asking. They could even go a step further, if they happened to have the new XJ8 - X-wing design the one I happen to have right here. The mass produced fighter that is becoming the standard stunt fighter for Navy replacing that aging Sigma-5. Yeah I think the ORC may be able to look past some poor choices in the past if they had proof of them making right and offering a sweetener to help replace the loses in the west."

"But that is just my two talons ... master."

[member="Sor-Jan Xantha"]

Trajectory: The Ja Highlands
Nearby: Pollution.

Tasks

• Clear away the waste in the Highlands
  • Work with accompanying Sacred Lotus healers to revitalize the preserve and allow ideal conditions to start the reintroduction process.
  • Set up a secure and safe area in which to promote the growth and reintroduction of wildlife on the Highlands
  • Find a way to cleanse the air of the taint from the local industries.
  • Rinse-and-Repeat.
We are on approach to the landing zone, a relatively elevated area far enough away from other settlements as to see it un-bothered and uncontested by the locals of the planet.,” the navigational officer stated pointedly to those assembled on the bridge.

Máni had joined this particular crew in their mission on Eriadu because it was a mission of science and revival. They sought to bring back wildlife to the planet, in a limited quantity at first, and hopefully give life the foothold it needed to jumpstart its way back onto the surface of the planet. In life and in death, the fauna of the planet would provide the necessary nutrients to promote the growth of plant life once more. When the animals went extinct, aside from the Eriaduan rats — those things would probably survive well beyond the end of civilization — so too did the plant life begin its decline. The flora and fauna of most, if not all, worlds lived a symbiotic relationship with one another in that both were responsible for giving life and energy to the other; much like the relationship between the light and dark sides of the Force. It was a universal constant, as much as some in the galaxy would be unwilling to admit it - one would not exist without the other, a constant give and take checks and balances.

It was why the attempts to eliminate either side of the Force users always ended in failure. Yes, one could fully destroy a current faction or organization that was a practitioner of its opposite, but either side always found a way to revive and grow once more. It was the way of the galaxy and no mere mortal hands would ever be able to change that, despite how hard those hands may try.

This was why he had chosen the mission that he had. He wanted to see life grow once more, to see that light still did exist in the world. The events on Midvinter had stolen his faith and shook the very foundations upon which he had found his start. His parents were his world, an unconquerable duo that stood for everything that was good and bright until they too succumbed to the darkness. They were made unwilling servants to a cruel master in their deaths, and he had been responsible for releasing them from their servitude by way of the sword. In that way, he believed that he had killed
his parents and in so doing, he had killed his own surety of what his path was and what he was meant to do.

He had not always been a confident boy, but having been chosen to dedicate his life and power to Helm, and seeing the proud looks of his parents, he knew that he was making the right choices. They were gone now, who else was to be his guiding light in the days ahead?

Himself? No. He was young and no more wise to the ways of the galaxy than a newborn birthed in the very center of galactic activity. Who was he supposed to rely on to help him find his way? The only ones he knew beyond his family, were theHeavenshields. Everyone knew of them. They were royalty of Midvinter and a powerful family, but he could not look to them for guidance. They were not his family, he could not permit them to see his weakness, it would be disgraceful.

It was why he yearned to see this mission succeed, because if life grew forth from this planet and thrived once more, then perhaps there was hope for him yet. He was as much a part of this galaxy as the flora and fauna. If they could thrive, so could he.

So he hoped.

Objective III: Heal the People
Volunteer Clinic
Tags: [member="Oros"]

Becoming a Jedi hadn’t been all meditation and peace. For Nida, lately she’d been picking through a lot of rubble, recovering a lot of bodies and trying to keep patients from bleeding out. Despite her relative innocence, she’d been sensitized to desperate situations from her painful youth. Still, this didn’t mean that the work she did wasn’t weighing heavily on her soul. Her empathy for the suffering hadn’t made anything easier.

Supplies were few and far in between at the clinic, the trouble being that you never knew when a shipment would come through. At the moment, Nida was assisting a young woman giving birth in one of the clinic main areas—a bedsheet tacked onto the ceiling around them was the only privacy they could manage to afford the poor wailing woman due to the scarcity of space.

“That’s it; you’re doing splendidly! Use this next contraction and push with all of your strength.” The Jedi managed to maintain a composure of calm for the patient’s sake, despite the difficult birth. Something was wrong—the labor was too long, the baby’s heart beat was too slow, and thing didn’t feel right when she had palpated the woman’s abdomen. After a series of long drawn out cries, the child had been delivered and was immediately wrapped in a towel. Nida whisked the child to the makeshift incubator just a step away, immediately setting to work. The baby wasn’t breathing. And on top of that…

“Is my baby okay?” The woman’s voice, breathless and desperate, cut like a knife. One of the nurses moved in swiftly to help with the delivery of the placenta while Nida rubbed the baby’s back quickly.

“Baby’s just having a bit of a late start, is all.” Before she could reach for the mucous extractor, the newborn let out a loud cry and all was well, for the moment.

The woman laid back, a sheen of exhausted sweat glistening on her face. “Can I see my baby? Please?”

Nida hesitated, back still turned towards the patient as she bundled the child tightly in a blanket and pulled one of the nurses aside.

“Another case of meromelia. This one is confined to the upper limbs, bilaterally.” She whispered. “That’s the third one born with limb deformities this week.” The nurse whispered back. They’d come here to help these people heal; how could they fix something like this?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom