Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Respecting Roleplay - Goddmodding/Metagaming

Is Godmodding/Metagaming disrespectful Roleplay?

• Yes

Votes: 27 96.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your buddy, and that random stranger - when reported - are held to the same standard. Until that little button's pressed, all you'll ever see is self-policing among our fine community. If your buddy decides to powergame, metagame, or godmodd - and you laugh it off? You're not buddies. You're an Enabler and part of the problem. Period.

So the onus as being a member of this community, is to stand up and tell your friends and strangers alike that they're off track in a courteous manner.

The system ain't broke, the people who use it are.

[member="Kahlil Zambrano"]

I come from places who had rules that were set in stone, along with the definition of godmodding/metagaming and published as part of the text of the rules disallowing them plain as day. Did it make the problem less of an issue ICly? Surprisingly no. People will find a way to word things subtly enough to get away with it no matter what you have in place. It is not a solvable issue, and to define it so rigorously as to make sure the standard is inflexible enough to fit the current rules, while remaining flexible enough to apply to every writer equally, would put massive and unnecessary strain on both the staff and member base. As it stands now, yes, you should be careful how a post is written and do your best to not call hits/damage/what have you, or bring knowledge you have into character even if your character would not know such.

The issue is that with such strict measures in place now writers have to be even more careful as to how every post is written making sure nothing could be misconstrued at all, even if IC it would make sense for it to be, staff has enough to deal with as it stands without having to police the community as to what constitutes 'respect towards fellow writers' any more than they already do. This also does not address the issue of if someone already has such a reputation for supposed or proven prior offenses, that a case brought against them would be viewed less favorably as before the standards were set, there is a pre-existing bias against that person. They would not be judged fairly.

As the system stands now there is no reason to change it as writing and refining such rules does nothing but impose further restrictions and create many times unwarranted worry among the wider community as to if their post is up to the standards set by the rules.

I can break down rule 4 into much simpler terms: 'Don't be a jerk.' That is what this really boils down to. You godmod/metagame great, enjoy your solo threads or threads with few other interested parties.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
After some research into a very specific altercation,

I'm still against adding rules about metagaming to the top rules.

And that's all I'm going to say about that here.

Is Metagaming/Godmodding disrespectful?

It can be, but it usually isn’t.

If we take the strictest sense of the term it means:

Metagaming is a term used in role-playing games, which describes a player's use of real-life knowledge concerning the state of the game to determine their character's actions, when said character has no relevant knowledge or awareness under the circumstances.
Since we cannot literally be in the minds of our fictional characters this happens in every post. So is it disrespectful? Not necessarily, and not implicitly. This topic has been discussed before and the answer is clear; you cannot define it in a satisfying way which would actually help matters.

The board has a system for reporting issues. If you feel something is wrong, report it. My staff will investigate and come to a resolution. If you are, for whatever reason, unhappy with that resolution, my PM box is always open. This does not mean you will get the answer you want though.

If it isn't against the rules then what is the use of reporting it? I understand it can be hard police those actions even if the rules did side against it. So my question is then; is metagaming ever a reportable offense?
[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

I’m usually against locking threads, but the Head Admin has more than answered this question, so please take your remaining complaints and questions to passive aggressive blogs/statuses as is the norm.

In addition, I would add:

Be chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom