Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removal of Force Powers from the Character Template

[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

It's often what's shown within major factions. When people assume that to join a major faction for training, they see the standards of the Factions (Thread trackers and training requests) and assume it's a site rule.

I did. Really wasn't until a couple months ago that I realized it wasn't the case.

[member="Darth Valdra"]

Force Light is a nasty ability against Darksiders......but define Darksider?

An Acolyte smacked upside the head with it...yeah it's going to hurt.

A Knight hit with it.....ouch.....but I will survive.

A Sith Lord.....did you just tickle me....I HATE being tickled.

Besides, there are ways to avoid such an ability.....it's called.....hmm.....PM me and I'll explain it to you :)

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Darth Ferus"]

I know man. But I feel zero responsibility towards the Staff to put up signs everywhere and trying to stop people just from 'assuming' things.

Trust me I get the whole 'every new Jedi writers just assumes to join the X Faction and then gets really, really messed up in his expectations of the website because of it' -Syndrome. The New Member Experience on this website is akin to being handed a 1000 page textbook and being told 'good luck' and 'ask questions'.

We all jump in at the deep end. Sink or swim. :D :p

Tefka said:

To me the Force is mysterious. To me the Force "is", and to delve in the usage of the Force in such Expanded Universe settings like KOTOR or SWTOR is to diminish the Force. I would much rather read descriptive writing of a mysterious method of the Force being forced upon my character from the Dark Side rather than read "I use soul drain on you."
So, soooo much.

They're like that, listed out and defined individually as they're powers to activate in a D20 game or or buttons to push.

Jay Scott Clark said:
I love how all these people think there are a million rules on this site. When really there are like none.

• We need training threads to be promoted - No, you actually don't.
  • I need to develop my padawan before I begin playing - No, you actually don't.
  • I need to list all my threads for X reason - No, you actually don't.
  • I can't use X power as a padawan - No, you actually can.
  • I need to sub all my tech to the Factory - No, you actually don't.
  • I need to get my profile approved to do X - Nope, nope, nope
  • I have to join a Faction to get trained - Blarg! No.

Tis crazy talk. So much crazy talk. :(
As a "newbie" I guess, I can speak on this point of view. I come from "real-time RP" or SWTOR to be much more specific. So to have things line up and make sense, such as developing a character and even promotions to either a Private to Corporal or a Padawan to a Knight needed some sort of in-game tasks to be completed, or OOC trust and knowledge. Such things were enforced in order to keep from confusion and disarray.

Of course, I don't speak on behalf of every new member who has and will join. But I can say that it burns me out trying to understand how things like this work after years of in-game RP.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Javek Tysis"]

Confusion is completely natural. After all, one of these thing is not like the other. As such, what are the differences? ...And when we begin to notice this, explore it, and get 'burned out'? It is easy to become frustrated. I understand that. However, I also understand something more. I understand that when a new member truly begins to see the limitless potential of the blank canvas before them, that they have a choice. A choice to either be brave and paint. Or a choice to be intimidated by that gigantic freedom and go somewhere else.

I hope you choose to see the potential of this website as something great. That a game without an MMO's structure can be limitless and awesome. Cheers and good hunting! :D

[member="Tefka"]

I think the reason some people have chosen to list their "powers", regardless of realizing this was a rule or not, was the firm denial of being allowed to manipulate the force in any way that isn't canonically listed out on the wookie. I, for example, read a thread a while back that stated any ritual/power/ability/etc not explained with its own article or with conclusive evidence via wookiepedia or a canon source of some kind cannot exist and isn't permitted to be developed on the site. Of course some people have largely ignored this, but the majority that have acted as [member="Darth Ferus"] mentioned was because we were under the impression that it was the only allowed means of using the force. If the force is open to interpretation as you've said, I can assume we can manipulate it in ways not yet defined? I'm not asking if we can make up something like "Force Explosion" or something equally ridiculous, just if we can go beyond the vanilla canon and EU stuff that pretty much reads like an RPG guide book.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Darth Atrophia"] There have been multiple discussions about whether or not to add a "Build your own Force Power" into the Factory. In all regards the answer was similar to what you describe above. However, Factory aside. The Top Rules have only ever discussed and been posted as: Do not Godmode. There is not actually any rule currently listed that speaks to custom applications of the Force.

This might be an answer unto itself. :D

Jay Scott Clark said:
[member="Darth Atrophia"] There have been multiple discussions about whether or not to add a "Build your own Force Power" into the Factory. In all regards the answer was similar to what you describe above. However, Factory aside. The Top Rules have only ever discussed and been posted as: Do not Godmode. There is not actually any rule currently listed that speaks to custom applications of the Force.

This might be an answer unto itself. :D
I never meant something to be submitted for approval, I simply mean writing the force as it has yet to have been.

Liliane

L
It has been brought up before that the Force is a huge energy/whatever and is not limited to Force Powers. Never has it been enforced that we can only use powers from Wookieepedia, at least on this site. Write your own powers, write your own styles. We are writers, not RPGers. We are not limited to some powers the Wikia has.

Just make up new abilities if you want to, do whatever you want as long as you don't godmode.

Lilin Imperieuse said:
It has been brought up before that the Force is a huge energy/whatever and is not limited to Force Powers. Never has it been enforced that we can only use powers from Wookieepedia, at least on this site. Write your own powers, write your own styles. We are writers, not RPGers. We are not limited to some powers the Wikia has.

Just make up new abilities if you want to, do whatever you want as long as you don't godmode.
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/51032-creating-new-force-powers/page-2

Jay Scott Clark said:
[member="Javek Tysis"]

Confusion is completely natural. After all, one of these thing is not like the other. As such, what are the differences? ...And when we begin to notice this, explore it, and get 'burned out'? It is easy to become frustrated. I understand that. However, I also understand something more. I understand that when a new member truly begins to see the limitless potential of the blank canvas before them, that they have a choice. A choice to either be brave and paint. Or a choice to be intimidated by that gigantic freedom and go somewhere else.

I hope you choose to see the potential of this website as something great. That a game without an MMO's structure can be limitless and awesome. Cheers and good hunting! :D
I can agree with that. I don't plan on giving up on something that's so fun, just because it's frustrating at times. This is one of the better communities I've had the luxury of being apart of.

[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

sabrina

Personally I like it if people actually did thread learning the powers, so they can prove they know how to use them.

Though I am in the minority on this

I only see bad coming from this. Lists were good, as others could see what force powers you had and could see that you were not using some you didn't possess. By removing these lists you are removing that ability, which in turn means that I see more people starting to use force powers they don't have. This in turn removes the point of training threads and you just end up becoming god. The best way that most people would see to fix this is to limit ranks to certain powers, but this would be a bad bad move as you'd be limiting guys that actually RP'd learning force powers.

So yeah...

Jardo Snow said:
I only see bad coming from this.
Nothing will come from this, actually. The snippet removed was language in a template... hardly defined as a hard rule, and even if it could be, it wasn't one 99% of this forum enforced or even cared about.

However, to the crowd asking me about whether or not they can make custom powers... please don't ask me what you can or can't do. I understand there is a need for direction from some of you, a need for hard defined rules. And I *could* provide these rules. I could *police* these decisions.

But in the absence of rules is freedom, freedom allotted to you to make your own decisions of how you want to go about things. If you complain about ambiguity then you're missing this very obvious chance to do things how you want to do them and not have someone tell you how to do it.

Which is the whole point of this announcement. There was an instance where someone tried to force someone else to do something using a sentence written in the character template. We didn't realize people were doing this, so we removed the sentence... because we want you to make your own decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom