Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removal of Force Powers from the Character Template

Also, I see a lot of concerns about characters suddenly becoming godlike or way more powerful than they should given the character's development. Hate to say it, but this problem has been happening since Day 1. It's not going to start suddenly (or become worse) with the removal of this rule. There are steps you can take if you feel like someone is abusing their powers or god-moding.

As a review, those steps are best summarized as:

1) PM the offending writer and try to work it out. The writer may not realize that she is overstepping her bounds as a padawan. Or she may not realize she is god-moding. Genuine mistakes happen.

2) Work it out like the adults you all are.

3) If you can't work it out, try again to work it out. Conflict resolution is something everyone needs to learn to survive in this world.

4) If you still can't work it out, use that handy Report button. But expect the responding Staff member to ask if you've already tried to resolve the issue yourself. Because, you know, we expect all of you to act like adults and you're all capable of handling 99% of issues that occur.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Cecily de Demici"]

Juice boxes? Drama booze? Oh dear. Have you been drinking the Kool-Aid again Cecily? :D :p

Just for arguments sake, lists are about as effective against godmoding/unfairness/whatever as the Empire was on Endor. It looks formidable, but a little teddy bear ingenuity will shoot that plan to shizzle.

Just for arguments sake, lists are about as effective against godmoding/unfairness/whatever as the Empire was on Endor. It looks formidable, but a little teddy bear ingenuity will shoot that plan to shizzle.

I know this because Tyler knows this, and we've made a career of curtailing a very limited and constrictive list of available force powers elsewheres on the web. You can point to the wiki and say only a Master could know that, I will point to an encyclopedia and say boom, Science. I didn't call it buy it is canon name, I used a basic force power with a practical application of grade school science. How can you say a padawan couldn't do that? Fantasy mixed with the real world will be hard to argue against using a wookiepedia stub.

No list alleviates a lot of headache, for players and staff. Trust me when I say you don't want to take this creative liberty for granted be it a rule or not.

[member="Tefka"]
I guess I am afraid of not knowing where my limitations are, but your response answers my question, thank you.

[member="Darth Atrophia"]
Darth Atrophia said:
[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]
She? :p
Well, the feminine pronoun is used as a standard when the gender is ambiguous or the person is just an example.

I suppose the most correct way would have been to use "he or she".

I heartily concur and support your decision [member="Tefka"], I thought that rule was a bit too restrictive and a bit too on the bureaucratic side to begin with :)

Besides, it didn't really solve anything much; you could just write up the umbrella-term Force powers such as Telekinesis and leave out the details of just how skilled a character was, then make it up on the spot which exact applications of that cover term the character actually knew, if you wanted to.

Serian Loria

In the shadows, at the fringe
Honestly I like this. I can see how someone of unimaginative mind, would choose to try and abuse this, but it is a mark of a talented writer to use such freedom within the limits of their character. Frankly its a load off my back because this means I can pretty much go outside the cookie cutter form and just do. This forum pretty much weeds out, eventually, writers who refuse to adhere to realistic character limitations. So, now its one less thing for me to muss with on my profile, which is fantastic!

Thank you [member="Tefka"] , I appreciate this :)

Darth Atrophia said:
[member="Tefka"]

If the force is open to interpretation as you've said, I can assume we can manipulate it in ways not yet defined? I'm not asking if we can make up something like "Force Explosion" or something equally ridiculous, just if we can go beyond the vanilla canon and EU stuff that pretty much reads like an RPG guide book.
One problem I've been running into is that rather than reading through posts, people prefer abstractions of what has occurred. They want clearly defined, easy to interpret sentences that help them formulate the best response possible (typically in combat scenarios). This waters down people's drive to write stories, and of course the easiest way to accommodate people who don't want to read, is to just list a bunch of abilities by name and stick a generalised "rank" level on them, so everyone knows how approximately powerful they are.

I refuse to do that, even when I write Jedi, which is why people have trouble accepting the actions I attempt to pull at times. They're unable to adapt in the moment and simply accept what is happening as a story because the mentality is: "It's a competition."

So we settle into this normalcy of listing powers and thinking of the Force as something that can be picked apart in a clinical setting. When the opposite is true. Tefka's right: Powers began being listed because of franchise games.
And let's admit it, with some notable exceptions, most SW's games sucked, just absolutely sucked. But the ones that are great are great for one, ultimate reason: The story they told.

Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, one of the best games every made. It's not great because it quantified the amount of "Force Power" you have available, it was great because of the story it told.

Rather than enforcing lists of powers, I want to see a real-time enforcement of writing standards, of which there are (not surprisingly) little.
We enforce the number of NPC's you can use in a fight, but we don't enforce grammar, creativity, etc. There's no quality control, just quantity control.

Asemir Lor'kora said:
Also, I see a lot of concerns about characters suddenly becoming godlike or way more powerful than they should given the character's development. Hate to say it, but this problem has been happening since Day 1. It's not going to start suddenly (or become worse) with the removal of this rule. There are steps you can take if you feel like someone is abusing their powers or god-moding.

As a review, those steps are best summarized as:

1) PM the offending writer and try to work it out. The writer may not realize that she is overstepping her bounds as a padawan. Or she may not realize she is god-moding. Genuine mistakes happen.

2) Work it out like the adults you all are.

3) If you can't work it out, try again to work it out. Conflict resolution is something everyone needs to learn to survive in this world.

4) If you still can't work it out, use that handy Report button. But expect the responding Staff member to ask if you've already tried to resolve the issue yourself. Because, you know, we expect all of you to act like adults and you're all capable of handling 99% of issues that occur.

This is a great start, but I feel we need more.

We have an instructional guide on how to create a character, or how to navigate the site, right?

What about an instructional guide on how to interact with other writers?

"From IC to OOC, from Start to Finish, X # of Cohesive Steps to PvP interaction."

Cecily de Demici said:
THIS DOESN'T AFFECT ME! I want something to affect me! I am displeased.

*pickets*

*is a perpetual non-force user*
#NFUProblems

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom