Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reasons to Target Capital Planets?

Netherworld

Good morning, Chaos! As the season of invasions and all-out war begins, I come to you with a suggestion. I’d like you to weigh in on this in a healthy, civil debate, and hopefully we’ll all emerge the wiser for it.

Without further ado: Reasons to target capital planets.

2. The Defending Major Faction of a Capital Planet gets the following buffs during an Invasion targeting the Capital Planet:

A: Invasion Minimum Post Count: +100 Posts

B: Faction Aid Requests: +5 Writers
As evident above, the defending MF gets perks for being attacked on the homiest of its turfs. I think we can all agree this makes perfect sense.

Now, what happens if the attackers still win? Well, they get the planet. And that’s it.

See how the logic starts to limp here?

My suggestion is this: let’s make capital planets attractive as targets. Let’s give MFs some sort of incentive to go after that high-risk target. As it is right now, a capital planet invasion is simply more difficult, with zero rewards for that extra effort at the end. It’s why we don’t see any (or almost any) capital planet invasions.

And here’s where you, Chaos, come in. What would be an appropriate high-gain reward to be seized in the event of invading and successfully conquering another Major Faction’s capital planet?

Suggestions to date:
  • The Capital Planet hex goes neutral upon victory, capital planet goes to attacking MF
  • The Capital Planet hex goes to the attacking MF
  • The losing Faction being unable to stage Dominions/Invasions for a Week/Set Period of Time (as they'd have to relocate their capital, government, structure and so forth)
  • Or perhaps the next Invasion(s) against that particular Faction is easier to win (thus offsetting the difficulty of taking the Capital Planet in the first place, or perhaps providing an even greater benefit)

[member="Netherworld"]

Expanding on this topic, I have a small idea.

Perhaps planets can be given a score...

Industrial Power, Technological Power, Military power, Defensive Power etc to make targeting them less of a matter of "Which ones the easiest to counquer' and more along the lines of "What does our faction need most to give it a strategic and tactical advantage?"

Matreya

Similar to what was said.

I believe a higher reward in the amount planets would be good. Just think it through. The capital flees at the sight of a loss. Wouldn't the surrounding areas do the same as quick as word got to them?

So maybe a Hex, or an alottment of planets awarded for the Faction to decide.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
2 cents.

To start. I disagree with your premise. So nah bro. Capital planet invasions should not be favored nor incentivized. Here's why I think that.

The intrinsic demand for Invasions has never faltered on this website. Never. In fact, no one has ever said, "There are too few Invasions around here." while exploring this website. Especially in regards to capitals. And I would site Coruscant, Corellia, and Fondor as just a few examples. Especially given that these capital worlds have been selected without any logical explanation or tangible map incentive, other than they are: 'cool'.

So nah. Nah man. Capital planets do not require further favors or incentivizes. :D :p

Losing the entire Hex may be a significant enough reward - though that places it at a similar reward to a Tier 3 Dominion Victory.

In terms of purely making things 'interesting' to go for a Capital Planet before other hexes, ideas for rewards could range from:
  • The losing Faction being unable to stage Dominions/Invasions for a Week/Set Period of Time (as they'd have to relocate their capital, government, structure and so forth).
  • Or perhaps the next Invasion(s) against that particular Faction is easier to win (thus offsetting the difficulty of taking the Capital Planet in the first place, or perhaps providing an even greater benefit).

While this all sounds very cool/interesting Lore-Wise, it does prove to complicate the current PvP process quite a bit (and in large-scale cases, the more basic the rules are - the better, usually). I also imagine that a Faction being forbade to create Dominions or Invasions for a set amount of time would not be enjoying themselves at all, despite how realistic it may be canonically.

So while I do love the concept - Tefka's statement is likely the best (current) solution/approach to Capital Planets.

Bunker-level Normal
Losing a capital should penalize the losing faction as well. Maybe they lose 10% of their planets, or have to write a dominion to keep a major world from defecting, or can no longer support ships over a certain length. The loss of such a powerful world, not to mention the seat of government, should ripple throughout the entire faction (or what's left of it, as Tefka points out).

I also like awarding the winning faction more than just the capital world. The hex it's contained it could be a good reward. Or the line of planets between the captured capital and the nearest hex of the winning faction (which further rewards deep strikes instead of a total war/scorched earth (think General Sherman circa 1864) strategy.

Netherworld

[member="Safiriel Bane"]

I wouldn't go quite that far. First of all, it would be a time-consuming process, and second of all, the rating would be subject to change every time a faction devved out a different thing on a planet.

It would be an insane amount of work to keep a list like that up to date. Moreover, since Chaos doesn't employ either economy nor resources in the manner you suggest, the whole thing would rarely come into play.

I'll keep the first post updated with suggestions proposed to date. (And add some of my own after breakfast.)

Netherworld said:
Now, what happens if the attackers still win? Well, they get the planet. And that’s it. See how the logic starts to limp here?
What of morale? From what I've seen, the One Sith was heavily rewarded by taking Coruscant from the Galactic Republic - it completely crushed whatever momentum they might have had by beating them at their biggest, and at their home base, on their capital planet, as a tiny little L-shaped red speck on the map. Compare the map today to then, or as close to then as you can find, and you'll see that it's more or less a quiet advantage/bonus to those who seek this kind of strategy.

You don't really need to gain stuff, whether it be more planets or resources, to justify striking at a capital planet. More often than not, too, a faction sits their capital world in the geometric center of the blob on the map, so this could very well mean a cloud break of some sort.

Capital Planets are like the tootsie center of a tootsie pop, gotta get through the hard candy first. I see trying to make capital planets as "main right off the bat targets" as lazy and not as fun as ANNIHILATING a faction from the outside towards their planet. The Capital should always be the last. #dontbeabum

Netherworld

While I can get the point of 'saving the best for last', it imposes the same style of warfare on all Major Factions. And Chaos is all 'bout dat diversity, right?

Maybe the word incentive was a bad choice on my part, in retrospective. What would be more fitting, I think, is consequences.
Think about it. If an enemy force conquers the center of your government, your regime will suffer a big blow. Most of your leaders will be dead or captured, the legislative body gone. Same for the justice system.
If your enemy is strong enough to take the 'heart' of your nation/faction/whatever, how safe can the others be? Panic, chaos, anarchy... things that come to mind in that event.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Netherworld said:
And Chaos is all 'bout dat diversity, right?
Yep. And also that part about, "Less is more." Especially when it comes to rules on Chaos. Lulz. :)

Netherworld said:
What would be more fitting, I think, is consequences.
Consequences. Which... Are always available, at any time, to any Faction, and to anyone, who has lost their capital world under our current rule system. An addition to the rules would change nadda. :p

Don't ask for change. Be the change. Do what moves you. Something something slogan. Something something inspiration. Something something pizzzzaaa.

Great idea for this, but let me pose this question.

Invading faction loses to the defending faction. What do they lose?

Nothing so far. I mean other than time they spent to try and get it. You should make it a high rick, high reward item. If the invading faction loses, then they can't attack another faction for a month/Set period of time. Because you need to use Major resources to try and take out a major faction capitol planet. Sure those are great ideas, but after that time period, what then? They suddenly have handwavium troops to appear to attack again?

I think if the invading faction loses, it should be something more dramatic than that.

Ehhhh, I see no reason that something in the rules couldn't reflect the IC consequences of taking out the capital planet. It's already tough to do, adding a bit of seasoning isn't going to make it any less tough. You can't eat spice by itself, but it sure makes for a better meal.

Jay Scott Clark said:
Don't ask for change. Be the change. Do what moves you.
That's what's happening right now. Someone is making a suggestion for change. Can't just go and take an additional hex without going through the proper chain of command.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Loray Tares said:
That's what's happening right now. Someone is making a suggestion for change.
Don't paint with a bulldozer unless your canvas needs landscaping. Then it's all about perspective. :)

[member="Netherworld"]

My thing where you make a decent point you're also trying to speed up and get to the end of something. Invasions and the like are campaigns you work towards an end goal and that end goal is a capital planet. Why are you trying to go for the heart as soon as possible? I get in "real world" situations that's an idea, but in wars and such they start out small and work their way in.

This honestly feels like a way to avoid all the mess and process of working your way to a capital planet. Also MOST capital planets are SURROUNDED by other planets so with how the map game works you have to invade invade invade until you get enough wins to get to their capital planet. So again, this feels like a "please can I have a short cut"

Also stop limiting yourselves to rules, just play the game and have fun. Too many rules make the place feel policed, but if the community continues to want these rules we end up having to do it. Stop it and just play the game and have fun. That's why we write right? Have fun and make a great story. So do that instead of trying to figure out more rules to smack on yourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom