Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on godmoding

I want the opinions of others here on this matter. In an introduction/joining thread to a sith faction would it be considered godmoding/powergaming for a sith lord to force choke the new comer not to kill but to show him what happens to those who disrespect the sith (which he did ICly). Malice held it for a few seconds before dropping him and agreeing to train him. He proceeds to throw a fit and leave the faction all together.

Would you all consider that godmoding? I mean if he were another master of the force then i can understand and would have acted differently. But someone new joining exactly how is he supposed to block or get around being force chocked?
Don't mean to bother peeps with this but I take it personal when someone call sme a god moder. I've been rping for nearly 14 years now and I've prided myself on rping my chars as fair as possible, even down playing them in some instances.
So opinions....let them fly.

Alexandra Feanor

The Lady in Silver/Grey Historian
God modding, for a sith lord to choke a new comer.... Thats not godmodding in the least...

My opinion is god modding is a character doing something that logically could not happen unless in absolute perfect circumstances.

Wicked Witch of Schwartzweld
Well, I've had plenty of Sith welcomed into factions like that over the years. Either choke or some other form of attack. I've always perceived it more as a test. It's a Force Power, you used it. Godmoding would really be in that case if you went into how the other person reacted to it. So no, I don't see it as godmoding.

Moroi Wareyasui

Cocky Little Poohead
By definition, doing anything to another character or that character's possessions without their consent is god modding, but at the same time there is not much the kid could feasibly do to avoid the master force choking him, so that would fall under the "Don't be that guy" form of God modding.

So letter of the law, yes it's god modding.

Spirit of the law, not so much. In the future it'd be best to go with the "attempts to force choke" instead of flat out "force chokes" or send the guy a PM and ask him permission to do it for plot purposes.

@[member="Malice Draclau"]
[SIZE=10pt]It’s good manners never to call a hit on your opponent without prior agreement. If you want to choke them then RP that you are doing that, then let them write the response. If they are sensible then obviously it will affect them. If it doesn’t then that’s a time for discussion with the other writer.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I don’t know about this particular incident so I can’t comment, but generally I prefer not to call shots or reactions from the opponent unless it’s been discussed before.[/SIZE]

Louise

here for your dad
Evelynn force choked @[member="Slade Zambrano"] in a thread just yesterday and while logically she would have been able to do it, I got the writer's permission first because good manners and cooperation make for a better roleplaying experience.

I got a chuckle when I saw a thread where THE Malice Draclau asked if he was god-modding or not. :p

Yeah ... blatantly so, but Moroi summed it up like a champ.

The whole attempting the attack is the way to go. When two writers are in harmony they both take the appropriate hits and dodges. Then you just avoid the bad writers that never take the hits or try to force them on you.

That's my philosophy anyway.

That's not Godmoding at all in my opinion. Speaking from a completely Non Force User perspective and as someone whose rp'ed over various boards and in html rooms for years now if someone force chokes me I look at the options I have at my disposal. If I have a gun I'll shoot the Sith and if I don't I'll look at trying to do something else inventive. Just because you're force choked doesn't mean you're helpless, no matter how powerful you are, you just need to find inventive, and realistic, ways to overcome your circumstances or let the cards fall where they do and be mature about things.

Personally I don't really even mind a person calling a hit on me. Technically it doesn't mean it happened. It's still on me to defend against the attack or accept it. I, however, do think there's a difference between calling a hit and applying damage to your opponent. You can always state your intent but you shouldn't dictate what amount of damage your actions do.

My two cents.

Alexandra Feanor

The Lady in Silver/Grey Historian
@[member="Garrus Garon"]

This very much is true in my mind, but for me i have a number of other ideas about RRP should be done that people arent to fond of, such as the asking permission to kill a char rule. All problems can be solved with the simple fact of being mature about it and understanding your character's situation and the situation around it. If you are going to take stupid odds all so you can just claim immunity, or call god mod on a completely logical situation such as a sith master choking out a new blood because you can, then in my mind that person needs more confronting than the accused ever does. Note this is hypothetical and not meant to be insulting.

@[member="Garrus Garon"]
I’m not saying it’s a terrible sin, or that he’s done anything badly wrong. I’m just saying that the general convention is that it is GMing.
Discuss with your opponent and get a feel for them. My general rule is, to avoid misunderstandings, never call a hit unless it’s agreed to beforehand.

Piraiba

Togorian Barricade
No one said the other guy didn't overreact to the godmodding. :p

Ultimately both sides have to be mature and friendly for the rp to be successful.

If I was the apprentice I would have accepted it and rolled with it once or twice. If the auto attacks became a habit i'd try to educate the master with a friendly suggestion or two. If he was beyond help i'd just move on to greener rping pastures. Alternatively I do the exact same thing as a master. If the apprentice had too high of an opinion of his abilities I would try to give a suggestion or two or move on.

Sadly arguing about the rp is what pulls most of the fun out of the game for people. Misunderstandings are bound to happen with a communications game like this, but everyone could maximize efficiency by strictly making attacks and not hits. When you autohit you're depending on people to be as reasonable as Garrus was in his counter opinion.

Lord Ghoul

L
Force choking apprentices is my favorite past time. Just do what everyone else has already said and put "attempted' before "force choke." If he/she miraculously evades your choke it is probable that said person is now the godmodder. Good for you, bad for them.

@[member="Vascious Relens"] OMG YOUR STILL AROUND!! Longtime no see.

Well I for one would understand being called a god-moder again if I were indeed trying to kill him, or if I continued on and did more then just force choke the dude like slamming him into every single wall in the temple while force choking him. As fun as that sounds that would clearly be god-moding. I am from the rping age where if we are rping a fight we didn't ened to ask permission before hand to land a hit, cut off a limb or a kill attempt sure but a hit? I would take punches, kicks, elbows, bites, cuts, stabs, they never needed to ask me permission. It was common sense if your char was in the position where they couldn't avoid it logically take the hit and hit'em back if you can.

But I thank you all for the input. To avoid further headaches I will, as @[member="Mikhail Shorn"] has said and put "attempt" before my moves in the future, no need to step on toes here.

Piraiba said:
No one said the other guy didn't overreact to the godmodding. :p

Ultimately both sides have to be mature and friendly for the rp to be successful.

If I was the apprentice I would have accepted it and rolled with it once or twice. If the auto attacks became a habit i'd try to educate the master with a friendly suggestion or two. If he was beyond help i'd just move on to greener rping pastures. Alternatively I do the exact same thing as a master. If the apprentice had too high of an opinion of his abilities I would try to give a suggestion or two or move on.

Sadly arguing about the rp is what pulls most of the fun out of the game for people. Misunderstandings are bound to happen with a communications game like this, but everyone could maximize efficiency by strictly making attacks and not hits. When you autohit you're depending on people to be as reasonable as Garrus was in his counter opinion.
Boom.

Tell 'em what he's won, Bob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom