Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on godmoding

An addendum, though, because so few people understand this:

I have had characters mauled, mutilated, and sometimes even killed. I've had members gloat that they ruined my day, killed my characters, or destroyed my work. Just smile, nod, ignore - because this next statement is fact, despite all of you power gamers/god moders / people who love competition and wish to be the best:

Nothing happens to my characters without my consent.

Anything that does happen to my characters happened because it was a good story, or it was exciting, or I was extremely drunk.

It's why the Report button should be used as a last resort after all other resources have been exhausted during a roleplay : most people are looking for the satisfaction of "I'm right, you're wrong" when really, we usually tell people to stop roleplaying with each other in the thread.

@[member="Malice Draclau"]

You and me both. I've been roleplaying since the very late 90's online. Honestly I go into a fight expecting my characters will be hurt, regardless of whether its bad or not, so the idea that anyone needs to pm me to hurt my character is taboo to me. If they attack me and I can't think of a constructive way to defend against it I'll accept the damage. Even Black Belts can get bruised against the power of the White Belt as it were.

and that is how I got used to rp fighting @[member="Garrus Garon"]. It wasn't untill mid 2000's did this whole "you need to ask me before you can punch me in the face" thing started coming about, changed rp fighting big time to me lol. I;ve been crushed by trees, thrown over the edge of a mesa. If Malice were to show you all his true Shi'ido form. he would be covered in scars and old wounds.

sabrina

@[member="Garrus Garon"], I will never auto hit some one, but the whole post on measured strikes for a reason. Yes if I get shot at hit, I will take though it will be on my terms. How ever if people start ignoring being shot at, or bad thing happening to them. I don`t like it, and get unsure what to do.

Garrus Garon said:
@[member="Malice Draclau"]

You and me both. I've been roleplaying since the very late 90's online. Honestly I go into a fight expecting my characters will be hurt, regardless of whether its bad or not, so the idea that anyone needs to pm me to hurt my character is taboo to me. If they attack me and I can't think of a constructive way to defend against it I'll accept the damage. Even Black Belts can get bruised against the power of the White Belt as it were.
It came about because of the AOL chat rp era, when the T1 / T2 rules were established. One rule set was based on speed, which allowed auto hitting, the other was descriptive attempts.

All things RP have six degrees of separation from either Rhydin or DND.

@[member="Malice Draclau"] I think that with the way rp is now things have changed so drastically compared to the old days. Hahahah. People don't necessarily realize that an auto hit doesn't -really- exist. If we were to fight, for instance, I could post hitting you in the face but the reality is it's still just an attempt. I mean if you can defend it then you will and we carry on from there. I'm fairly accustomed to putting attempted, etc, before my attacks now though. Hahahah. Good old days when you could get crushed by a tree and still make it home for dinner.

@[member="sabrina"], I'm in line with how roleplay needs to be done now. There's still a certain nostalgia about how things were though. I do agree that it sucks when people ignore everything, etc, but occasionally, especially considering all the posts you sometimes need to read in a thread, things do get missed.

@[member="Tefka"]

Above my pay grade, lol. I started rp'ing in html chat rooms which have similar but different combat rules as compared to the message boards. One interesting difference being that everyone you were fighting was in the chat room at the same time so things progressed in real time. Talk about a cluster that could be hard to keep track of. If it was well done it was quite entertaining though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom