Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Codex Question: Fleet lengths

I've recently been working with a minor faction with about 20 members and I've looked around the rules for factions and in the codex. What would be the maximum length for a minor faction of this size? I believe there used to be a chart but it's no longer integrated with the codex 4.0 rules. Even just a general pointer would be great.

Aldric

A
b5d486b01536298a32474abb6d6a4c64.png

Can be found in the factory rules or starship creation rules. There aren't any hard limits on it anymore, so just keep it to a reasonable size. Me personally, I'd say a Star Destroyer or two with a group of smaller support ships would likely work fine, but I'm no authority on that kind of stuff.

Chris Walker Chris Walker

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Walker Chris Walker | Aldric

Aldric is correct, rules of fleet sizes are located within the factory rules rather than the codex rules, but the above table is the correct one.

While there aren't any hard rules, it should be pointed out that according to the Faction Rules

5. Only a Major Faction has the resources necessary to role-play having a large fleet, army, etc.

There aren't any hard numbers associated with what fleet size a minor faction can field, as long as it makes sense to your faction story and it isn't too big. As per the codex lore rules

Fleet and Army submissions are for fluff and flavor- they are not a hard line numbers game, but a place to collect and organize. Size is a relative field, not an indicator of who would win in a head to head confrontation. Be sensible and reasonable or edits will be required.

The Fleet Template also makes the point that

• Fleet Size: [ Choose from Small, Medium, Large, Huge. This is a rough idea, not a hard number. Keep in mind that this is relative to the Fleet's affiliation. A Large fleet for a minor faction would be smaller than a Large fleet for a Major Faction for instance. A Minor Faction's small fleet would be larger than a civilian merchant small fleet. This field is not meant to be used to decide which fleet, head to head, wins a battle. That can only be decided in RP. ]

Hopefully, this provides you with the information you need, but if you have any more questions please feel free to ask away.

Chris Walker Chris Walker

What Aldric and John Locke said - I'd also argue that an equally important distinction is what a Minor Faction is willing to risk losing, seeing as they don't have the vast resources of a multi-sector state backing them up.

For instance, a Minor Faction I made (on another character) has a pretty solid defence fleet, mostly because of a shipyard, but only very, very rarely send anything larger than a Light Cruiser out of their home system - they might have a few Battlecruisers, maybe, but the loss of even one would be so colossal a defeat that it might take them standard years to recover.

IMO, you can probably go toe to toe with a task force sent by a Major Faction, under the right circumstances, but in 9/10 cases even a defeat on their part would be a strategic defeat on yours, given the greater ease with which they can replenish their forces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom