Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Public Thread - Open to First Reply

On Chaos' affiliate RP site - Chronicles (great fantasy RP site) - there's a pretty nice thread type that is a mix between Public and Private called Fate - First Reply. That type of thread is basically a 1x1 where the first writer that responds to it joins it. So it's open to all on a first come, first serve basis. The first writer to reply to it turns the thread into a private 1x1 thread.

My suggestion is implementing this here. It's a great tool for those wanting to write with writers they haven't written before and have had basically little contact to ask them for a private thread while keeping the thread personal and eliminating the chance of numerous other characters popping and drifting the thread sideways (which occasionally happens in Public threads).

First up fate threads sound fun.
Boardwide maybe Small Group, Trio, Duo, work as tags. 4,3,2.

I used to do this. (Open to One) or (Open to Two)

So less useful, but you could manually tag threads with these letters currently (O1W), (O2W), (O3W) or (Open to X) for example, leaving an OOC comment at the top of the post with the intent. The Private forum here probably works best. That has often but not always worked for me, tag it then drop a link in LFG.

Having run a board that used to do this, I can tell you that it increases moderator workload unless you make it a good-faith guide, but was worthwhile I felt when you wanted to run concise plotlines or stories.

If you want to do this you can do that now if you'd like.

If you don't want to do an LFG 1x1 post with your first post in it and then shift to private RPing.

Alternatively, post it in public then politely request an RPJ move it for you.

Caedyn Arenais

C
Judah Lesan Judah Lesan | Valiens Nantaris Valiens Nantaris | Zef Halo Zef Halo

A prefix would see it board recognized and more likely to be participated/actively used. While this might sound like an argument against doing so, I believe it'd encourage more people to thread with those outside of their typical circle of writers. I don't see there being a negative to this suggestion, where as it could otherwise help bring the community closer together.

"Fate" would be a suitable prefix, too lol.

Zef Halo Zef Halo Valiens Nantaris Valiens Nantaris

Cant the same be done by just using a public thread and going: Title (open to first reply) not sure why this needs to be a prefix or even needed to be a suggestion.

While I understand what you are getting at, this creates an inherent flaw in how fast a person might interpret the thread as something that they themselves are able to join. For the sake of painting a clearer picture it can best be summarized with these two images:

XRVcZVQ.png

TUPU5RS.png

Which of these have a clearer intent to them, and what was the first thing you noticed when you began reading the thread title? By starting off with a tag that says "First Reply" you are making it abundantly clear that you are opening yourself as a writer to having someone else, anyone else on the entire board that you might never even have posted with before to reply to your thread. But it is still just a single person, and it is a controlled instance of a thread that is only semi-public which would defeat the purpose of making it appear fully public in the first place.

In short this idea can help the site on the whole as well because it can ease the following:
  1. New members have an easy in to write with some of the older ones.
  2. Current members can find someone else from the current member base that they did not know of.
  3. Shatter preconceptions about who another writer you've known for a while actually is.
  4. Allows you to set up an impromptu starting point and see where the Chaos of having an unknown variable take the other seat leads you without the thread growing far too big.
And that was my TEDx talk, thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom