Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Public Letters on Graysonian Fascism

Lately I have been reading Umberteco and Merrill as I try to understand the Jedi-led totalitarianism taking root in the Core Worlds. After so many years of war and Sith dominance, of course, I understand why people would accept the promise of stability. But fascism is still fascism.

Fascism may coagulate around any of the known hallmarks. A few resonate with me when I consider the Grayson Imperium.
  • First, I see traditionalist syncretism that embraces contradiction as signs of a great old truth. And what great old truth? Why, that the Jedi should be in charge, as with the Jedi Lords and the Pius Dea before them. The Imperium proclaims egalitarian ideals (narrowly constructed as interspecies egalitarianism) and a cultic 'light of Ashla' while holding to an absolute hierarchy. It mixes the worst authoritarian tendencies of the Jedi with autocracy, couched in pre-technological feudal titles and checked only by its own whim. This is divine right in all but name, and explicitly a dictatorship - except when the Lord-Imperator chooses to step back and let the democratically-chosen 'House of Lords' handle the Imperium's day-to-day affairs.
  • Second, I am deeply disturbed by the idea of the Light Side of the Force as a state religion, mass conversions to "the will of the Ashla." This is part of the traditionalist, contradictory syncretism I mentioned. The barbarism of the former 'Jedi' autocracy in the Nibelungen system is only one example.
  • Third, the Grayson Imperium arose out of, and derives its legitimacy from, contempt for the failures of democracy. Graysonian thought considers democracy impractically fragile. The Imperium does construct itself with some of the trappings of democracy: member worlds elect their House of Lords (presumably from their own planetary elites in one way or another - those with the resources and reach to win planet-wide elections). However, its entire structure is predicated on the explicit belief that democracy is not efficient or strong enough to ensure a government's survival.
  • Fourth, fascist elitism is rampant, both within the House of Lords and through the imposition of an explicit feudal, anti-democratic, military-based governance structure. Most importantly, though, the idea that only a Jedi Master is fit to be a dictator is the essence of elitism.
  • Fifth, fascism often forms around the rejection of modernity as corrupt and depraved. The Grayson Imperium constructs itself as "a moral and just nation in the midst of a galaxy engaged in debauchery and madness."
For all these reasons, I suggest that Jedi should swear off associations with the Grayson Imperium. Fascism is the Dark Side.

Jend-Ro Quill
Jedi Master

In open reply to the honorable Master Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill

Master Quill, initially I was pleased to know the opinion of a fellow Jedi Master on the happenings within the Imperium. I was a bit disappointed to read the contents, but I understand your perspective from an outsider's point of view, and appreciate your criticisms. Allow me to explain our beliefs to you in the best way I can, so that you might understand our perspective on things.

• It is not by choice, but by necessity that followers of the Jedi path preside over the Imperium. The galaxy is in a state of which it has never experienced before; the barrier between reality and the immaterial is shattered. We live in a time when Sith Lords can quite literally walk out of the Netherworld should they have the means. Look to recent leadership. Were the chancellors of the Galactic Republic effective in staving off the One Sith? What happened to the New Republic, so famously led by non-force users with a disdain for Jedi? Where is the Galactic Alliance, such a strong and virtuous stronghold of liberty now? We live in a galaxy embroiled in the Force. To survive in it, our leadership must understand it in only the way a true master can. Call it divine right if you wish it, but as you say the Jedi Lords are our precedent, and in the days when the Republic did nothing, the Jedi rose in their place. It seems as if you view their sacrifices negatively, and I find that unfortunate.

• The nature of the Ashla, or what you call a cult, is pure. My people suffered genocide at the hands of the Sith, lost our home, and it was only our faith in the Light that kept us going. When we came to Coruscant, our priests spread the holy word, and the people flocked to the warmth in its message. Furthermore we practice religious tolerance for all faiths, save for those with obvious ties to the Dark Side of the Force. No one is forced to convert, they do so of their own free will. I apologize if the idea of our regime funding the church's efforts to feed and house billions of refugees displaced by the galaxy's chaos is offensive to you, but I take offense at the insinuation that my faith is heretical, or that it is a means of oppression. The Jedi path is one of tolerance Master Quill, and frankly your evident lack of it is something you may wish to work on.

• Democracy is fragile and cannot survive in the current galactic climate. That is proven. No matter what we do, the Sith always seem to destroy us. No matter how many times we organize, how many times we rise, they strike us down either from within or without. Need I remind you that the One Sith annihilated the Galactic Republic by infiltrating its internal workings? Should I bring up the fate of the Galactic Alliance, so powerful, so vast, brought down by betrayal from within. Perhaps I'll share the tale of the Essonian Dominion, and how we were betrayed from within as well, and the gates to our fortresses left open for Sith conquerors. Democracy is important, and representation should be preserved, but it is too fragile to function properly in a galaxy enveloped in such chaos. The House of Lords allows for our people to govern themselves, and in times of crisis, I may step in with the power given to me via my position as Lord-Imperator. Call it fascism if you wish, but my duty is to my people, and to the living Force. Should I abuse my power, then I would expect and encourage you to drag my ideology over the coals, but I am a Jedi, and I will not forsake my vows.

• What you call elitism we call a meritocracy. Our nation is made up of survivors, and only those with the greatest skill for their craft could be afforded their positions. That belief has carried over into the Imperium as it has become a nation in its own right. We are a military government because we wish to survive. Once again I apologize if this concept offends, but our people have been fighting for over a decade now. We do not have the time to deliberate and argue when the galaxy is at our throats.

• To answer your final issue, much of modernity is corrupt. There is an acceptance of the Dark Side and a degradation of moral values in much of the galaxy. Before we came to Coruscant, the warlords present were enslaving thousands, killing just as many, and squandering the citizenry's tithes on personal pleasure. We removed their corruption, just as we sent our armies into the lowest levels of Coruscant, to the dark places that no regime has ever cared for, and removed the heads of the criminal element. I'll forgive you for not being here, Master Quill, but the core is a ruined place right now, and we are one of the only bastions of morality and ethical governance here aside from this so-called Republic the Corellians have formed.

Call it fascism, call it totalitarianism, but these are all oversimplifications of the complexity behind our fledgling nation state and the ideology we harbor. Frankly I am disturbed by your desire to see us ex-communicated from the other groups of Jedi. These are dark times, and we had intended on defending our brothers in need when the time came, as the remaining Jedi should stand together against the rising tide. Above anything I would think your desire to see the Jedi weakened, and a good portion of our brotherhood isolated from the rest, is of the dark side.

If you wish to speak more, I am more than happy to entertain you in my home on Coruscant, or we may simply exchange correspondence.

Cedric Grayson

Last edited:
P Placeholder 0128 ,

Thank you for your quick reply. For the sake of precision, I will quote or summarize your arguments as I understand them.

1) You make an impassioned argument for Jedi leadership in our unique modern age: "To survive in it, our leadership must understand it in only the way a true master can." I doubt your assertion. Many governments led by Force-users - across a broad spectrum of ideologies - have fallen. In fact, at least one of the wartime chancellors whose effectiveness you decry, Aleidis Ijet, was herself a respected Jedi Master. I will concede that you take the concept farther than most of them: the closest example to what you're describing is Palpatine.

2) "...the Jedi Lords are our precedent, and in the days when the Republic did nothing, the Jedi rose in their place. It seems as if you view their sacrifices negatively, and I find that unfortunate." Of course I view their actions negatively. A private religious organization assuming individual and personal control over entire sectors should never be viewed otherwise. Not all action is innately good. I point you to Umberteco identifying action for action's sake as another hallmark of fascism.

3) "The nature of the Ashla, or what you call a cult, is pure." Purity is an immensely interesting concept, often abused in practice. A focus on purity can, itself, be a hallmark of fascism. The term 'puritanical' comes to mind.

4) "When we came to Coruscant, our priests spread the holy word, and the people flocked to the warmth in its message. Furthermore we practice religious tolerance for all faiths, save for those with obvious ties to the Dark Side of the Force. No one is forced to convert, they do so of their own free will." Those are important principles, of course, but I am sure you understand the unique power position that an official religion holds when promoted by an absolutist regime, or any regime at all.

5) "I apologize if the idea of our regime funding the church's efforts to feed and house billions of refugees displaced by the galaxy's chaos is offensive to you..." You know as well as I do that I made no such assertion. As for your humanitarian works, at face value I take no issue with them. I suspect, however, that your government could have just as easily funded these efforts through secular structures and organizations, without partiality to the continued employment and prominence of your religious bureaucracy.

6) "The Jedi path is one of tolerance Master Quill, and frankly your evident lack of it is something you may wish to work on." Imperator Grayson, I have studied and fought alongside a broad spectrum of Force-users who differ strongly - with me and with each other - on any number of important issues. I see nothing in any credible version of the Jedi path that endorses fascism or requires that I accept it as ethical.

7) "Democracy is fragile and cannot survive in the current galactic climate. That is proven." I dispute your assertion that democracies are any less likely to survive than autocracies like yours. Within our lifespan, many galactic governments have risen and fallen, often cataclysmically, regardless of their form. In my experience, if anything it's the vanity dictatorships that tend to underperform.

8) You argue that the Republic, the Alliance, and Ession were brought down by internal betrayal, but I do not recognize the natural connection you see between those situations and justified autocracy. I do, however, see a natural connection between ostensibly stronger counterintelligence and autocracy. Do you plan to institute a surveillance state?

9) "Should I abuse my power, then I would expect and encourage you to drag my ideology over the coals, but I am a Jedi, and I will not forsake my vows." In a system of government absent checks and balances, your word is the only limit on your power. Surely you understand the innately corrupt structure you are propagating. For the sake of argument, let us assume you never make a mistake in your exercise of absolute power. Can you say the same for your successor, or for your subordinates who follow your example?

10) "What you call elitism we call a meritocracy. Our nation is made up of survivors, and only those with the greatest skill for their craft could be afforded their positions." Now that is a remarkable admission. In parallel to my last argument, even assuming you made the best possible choice in selecting your feudal officials and so forth, can you say the same for your successor, or for your subordinates who follow your example? Your government risks as much nepotism and bias as the worst days of the Republic.

11) "We are a military government because we wish to survive. Once again I apologize if this concept offends, but our people have been fighting for over a decade now. We do not have the time to deliberate and argue when the galaxy is at our throats." A pattern of action without deliberation is, again, a known hallmark of fascism. And is deliberation not the Jedi way?

12) "To answer your final issue, much of modernity is corrupt. There is an acceptance of the Dark Side and a degradation of moral values in much of the galaxy. Before we came to Coruscant, the warlords present were enslaving thousands, killing just as many, and squandering the citizenry's tithes on personal pleasure. We removed their corruption, just as we sent our armies into the lowest levels of Coruscant, to the dark places that no regime has ever cared for, and removed the heads of the criminal element. "As I mentioned when discussing your humanitarian efforts, I take no issue with your good deeds. I would remind you, though, that an absolute ruler who claims the moral high ground should own at least one mirror. To believe that one's mission is true and righteous is a morally risky thing. I also note that you closely equate modernity with corruption, which is a deeply fascist concept in a technical sense.

13) "I'll forgive you for not being here, Master Quill, but the core is a ruined place right now, and we are one of the only bastions of morality and ethical governance here aside from this so-called Republic the Corellians have formed." As I have explained, the structure you have built will not uphold ethical governance in the long term. It simply has no substance other than your will and the will of those who follow in your footsteps; it certainly has no serious checks and balances that cannot be dispensed with.

14) "Call it fascism, call it totalitarianism, but these are all oversimplifications of the complexity behind our fledgling nation state and the ideology we harbor." At this point, out of fourteen common hallmarks of fascism, you have proclaimed or defended almost half. Fascism is an appropriate term.

15) "Frankly I am disturbed by your desire to see us ex-communicated from the other groups of Jedi." As I mentioned above, I would like to think I take an unusually broad and tolerant approach to Jedi brotherhood. The fact that your regime falls outside that approach should be a warning sign worth your attention.

16) "Above anything I would think your desire to see the Jedi weakened, and a good portion of our brotherhood isolated from the rest, is of the dark side." Imperator Grayson, we clearly have very different ideas about what weakens the Jedi.

Jend-Ro Quill
Jedi Master

re3GLA.png

Somewhere in the Unknown Regions…

Scherezade sat on the shore of the capital city's inner most lake, her feet propped above her head as she leaned against the tree. For some reason the weather AI had a small hiccup the day before, and its effects were now felt by all, as the wintery holiday snow gave way to a surprisingly sunny day. It made being cooped up inside a darn shame, yet while everybody else was busy and she was still barred by her own people from going to ORC space to retrieve her sister, there was little left to do for her but find ways to entertain herself.

Her fingers flicked over the holographic keyboard as she moved from holonetwork to holonetwork, trying to find something that would hold her interest. Most things, did not. She was almost ready to call it a day and switch the thing off, when her eyes fell on a strange title. Public Letters on Graysonian Fascism. Of course she knew about the Grayson people; not having stumbled into them directly as of yet, the rumors had reached her little corner in the Unknown Regions as well.

Intrigued, she clicked it. And read all that was there.

Moments later, the commdevice of a certain Adora Belle Adora Belle went off, and the slicer made her way from Tech Town to the Tower as quickly as she could.

"You want to do what?!" The seemingly younger woman asked.

"I want you to slice into their connection thingie so I can send a message!" Scherezade beamed.

"Yes, I know, you've explained that, and I have the assets you'd need to send it but… Why?"

"Why not?"

Adora looked at the woman, the look of disbelief quite open on her face. And after a long silence, she shook her head. "Fine," she said, "But you should really know – this is open communication. There's no actual need to slice it. You can just join in and do your thing there."

Scherezade blinked. Twice.

"Oh."

With another grin, she sat back down, and motioned for Adora to do the same. Her fingers moved quickly to bring everything up, and by the time she was done, the assets were in front of the two women. Soon enough, Adora conceded that a slicer was needed to do what the Sithling wanted, but for different reasons than she had initially expected.

"This could potentially be a very bad idea," Adora warned her.

Scherezade shrugged, and hit the send.

To Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill , P Placeholder 0128 , and anyone else who was tuned in, something could change. Adora was a great slicer, but there was no way to ensure that the message would be sent to all those who were connected. But for those that did…

Bunnies. It must be bunnies. For those whose holodevices received what was sent from the Unknown Regions, many holobunnies appeared. They were all pink. And they all had bows on their heads, from which small cards came up. Each card carried the name of a government or organization, all of whom counted more than a single planet under their control. The Sith Empire. The Graysons. The Outer Rim Coalition. And many more. The bunnies hopped around for a handful of seconds, to make sure that those who saw them, could see what was written.

And then the bunnies hopped until they stood in a circle around the holodevice, and turned into bunnies going up in flames.

The message ended.

"Quickly, quickly, cut us off!" Scherezade squealed and giggled. Adora, unable to suppress a smile despite still shaking her head, did as she was told.

Last edited:
(Phone post. Excuse any typos)

1. While you are correct in that many nations have been led by force users and have fallen in turn, this does little to sway in either direction on the matter of force sensitive leadership. It is simply a matter of fact that use of the Force is far more common in our age, and one with experience utilizing it will know how best to deal with matters pertaining to it. Whether the leader was force sensitive or not is not the binary check that a government will succeed or fall, there are other factors, but understanding the force can be nothing but a benefit. If you wish to bring up an example of a successful chancellor, allow me to bring up the final chancellor of the Galactic Republic. Genevieve Lasedri led the Republic in its last days against the One Sith. She is now famed for instituting tyrannical laws, attempting to nationalize the Jedi Order along with the vast majority of the the GR’s major corporations, and repealing many of the rights the constitution promised the Republic’s citizenry. Then came the rise and attempted coup of her Selectivists, who swept down upon the Republic in the midst of its war with the One Sith. Chancellor Lasedri’s efforts were arguably more damaging than the war itself.

2. You and I simply disagree on the nature of the Jedi Lords. The Lords rose when the Republic proved itself incapable of defending its people. Then, as now, the Jedi Lords saw the chaos of the galaxy, and sought to establish direct control in order to protect the people as beat they could. If it weren’t for the Jedi Lords, the Brotherhood of Darkness would have swept across Republic space like a plague. When the time came the lords gave up their titles; when our duty is done we shall do the same. As I have said, call it fascism if you wish, but such definitions are simplistic and arbitrary. I am not debating the nature of my government, you will define it however suits your agenda, I am debating the notion that my people are tied to the dark side, and that you have any grounds of authority to make such a bold claim.

3. That it is. Purity in our sense of the word is Ashla in her manifestations within mortals. The love one has for their child. The brotherhood one feels with a friend. The pride one feels in their partner after a hard won promotion. It is the absence of cruelty, needless violence, and dark intention. Please do not lecture me on the dangers of the concept - I understand great crimes have been committed in the name of purity, but those concepts revolves around hatred, be it of race, creed, or otherwise. Our definition lacks any such hate.

4. It is something I have considered greatly, but in the end if our intent is benevolent and the priesthood’s is as well, I see no harm in teaching strong moral values alongside instilling faith in people that might otherwise have nothing else. The presence of the Dark Side is everywhere. Better we show people a healthy alternative before it finds them.

5. We have. If you would like exact percentages, the Followers of The Ashla receive 3% of our GDP. The rest of their funding comes either out of pocket, or from generous donators. More than a few credits have been spent directly from the Imperium’s coffers on the reconstruction of Coruscant and Empress Teta, particularly through the office of the Ministry of Industry. Our efforts to kickstart the economy the core’s crown jewel haven’t been cheap.

6. There is little the Jedi Order has ever had to say on any form of government, save for debates on whether to be involved in it or not. We have been both for and opposed to empires of the past, and when I speak of tolerance, I refer to our religious beliefs.

7. As stated before, many nations have risen and fallen, but all that proves is that neither of us are correct or incorrect. We simply have our different perspectives. As you’ve observed autocracies to be inefficient, I have seen more than my fair share of grievances with the way the democratic regimes of the past have operated. This is a matter of opinion and something I doubt we can reconcile. Experience is difficult in that sense.

8. An autocratic state is more easily managed, and is far more capable of sniffing out corruption within its ranks. With power more or less consolidated, those that hold it can better seek out hostile elements. From my position, if I learn one of the High Lords is a Sith sympathizer, I do not need to wade through the bureaucracy required to deal with him, so long as there is irrefutable proof. The open nature of the Republic allowed dissenting senators with incompatible ideologies to take power on the senate, and the failure of both the Republic’s Jedi and the New Jedi Order allowed Sith Lords to infiltrate their highest ranks. The damage these lords did was devastating, the first kickstarting the war with the One Sith with a limp, the second’s actions bringing about a domino effect that led to the complete collapse of the Alliance state. By maintaining an autocratic and relatively closed regime, we can prevent these hostile elements from infiltrating our ranks. I do not intend to instate a surveillance state, as I do not wish to intrude on the freedoms of the people, but those in positions of power are well watched.

9. If I ever fall to the Dark Side or overstep my bounds, there is a clause within our constitution dictating my arrest, and the proper procedures to shift the Imperium into the hands of a chosen regent. My successor shall be trained as a Jedi Knight, their life devoted entirely to this purpose. Whomever they are, they will have the temperament required for such a role. The endgame for the Imperium is a democratic state, but not until the galaxy has calmed, and the threats to our liberty have been made ineffectual. As for my subordinates, they will be punished as anyone would should they transgress. No one is above the rule of law, including myself.

10. -

The Jedi paused his typing as a message came up. He sipped his caf through a rather annoyed gaze as what looked to be small cartoon rabbits danced across the screen. The names of several governments were displayed, including his own, and then the rabbits were set aflame.

"That's very pink, and I suppose foreboding," he grunted, tabbing the image away as he returned to his message.

10. I can absolutely say the same on all accounts. You don't understand how we function, Master Quill, ours is a culture that holds our morals about our lives. There is little room for nepotism here, for it would be decried by the people, and revolts would quite likely follow shortly thereafter. Your idea of fascism is less accurate than looking at us as a constitutional monarchy. The people are not restricted from protesting, and if someone unfit for their position took office, they certainly wouldn't last very long.

11. Deliberation resulted in my homeworld being destroyed and several billion Essonians being crushed beneath the Sith jackboot. Say what you will of deliberation, but I prefer to respond to threats before my people start getting killed.

12. I am aware of the weight my position has, and the dangers it represents to the psyche and moral well being of one that holds it. Our mission, however, is a righteous one. We will not allow ourselves to be blinded by zealotry, but we won't suffer tolerance for users of the Dark Side either. That is the primary reason why we broke away from the other Jedi, for their acceptance of the Dark Side in allies such as the Confederacy. We will have no part in spreading the Bogan's cancer throughout the Force.

13. I disagree with you wholeheartedly. Perhaps it is a difference of culture, but my people functioned quite well under this system up until we adopted a looser form of government, which then brought about our destruction. I suppose we shall have to see if my successors can be ethical, as you say, but I foresee with the proper instruction of the next group of leaders, the Imperium will remain moral.

14. One could define half the galaxy's government over the course of existence as fascist if they used the proper qualifiers. This is arbitrary.

15. Forgive me Master Quill, but I do not know you. I never fought beside you. I never bled with you, and so I can't take your measure of me or my people, whom you have never met or interacted with before this dialogue I expect, as an accurate means of judging our moral character. What this is coming across to me as is an older Jedi with a distinct idea in his mind about how things should work, and that the fact that such an idea is being challenged tells you to label us as evil, of the Dark Side. Know that any disunity this letter has posed toward our people is entirely on your hands, Master Quill.

16. Please explain your definition. I see it as the division of the Jedi, the lessening of our numbers, and the decline of our moral spirit. I fail to grasp any other view that might make logical sense.

Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill , Scherezade deWinter Scherezade deWinter

P Placeholder 0128 ,

Speaking of leaders, my example was typical; yours is cherry-picked. I doubt you honestly consider the example of Genevieve Lasedri a real argument that Force sensitivity is a desirable quality in a leader. I certainly don't see how her failures relate to the Force or an inability to understand it. If anything she failed because she couldn't understand money, and few rulers have that particular failing.

"I am debating the notion that my people are tied to the dark side, and that you have any grounds of authority to make such a bold claim." Of course I made no such claim, as you are well aware. I have no quarrel with your citizens. Your principles are hardly their fault. I also take issue with the fascist idea that one must have authority in order to be right.

"I understand great crimes have been committed in the name of purity, but those concepts revolves around hatred, be it of race, creed, or otherwise. Our definition lacks any such hate." Imperator, hate is far from the only way that overzealous purity can damage a soul or a society. Lack of respect is probably the most relevant to your dismissal of democratic values.

"...but in the end if our intent is benevolent and the priesthood’s is as well, I see no harm..." I'll provide only one of many possible counter-examples: the residential schools of Nibelungen. All for their own good, so it was said.

"...the Followers of The Ashla receive 3% of our GDP." This number beggars the imagination and elevates your priesthood to the greatest grift in galactic history.

"As you’ve observed autocracies to be inefficient, I have seen more than my fair share of grievances with the way the democratic regimes of the past have operated. This is a matter of opinion and something I doubt we can reconcile." That unprovable uncertainty is my point exactly. I use my opinion to raise a question; you use yours to justify a sector-wide exercise in anti-democratic values. There is no equivalence.

"I do not need to wade through the bureaucracy required to deal with him, so long as there is irrefutable proof." This is nothing short of judicial system by autocratic whim.

"An autocratic state is more easily managed..." Of course it is, at first. That's the nature of being an autocrat.

"If I ever fall to the Dark Side or overstep my bounds, there is a clause within our constitution dictating my arrest..." As determined and carried out by the same handpicked men you rule as absolute Jedi Lord?

"...and the proper procedures to shift the Imperium into the hands of a chosen regent." Same question as above.

"No one is above the rule of law, including myself." The law's hold over you appears entirely subject to your consent at every step along the way.

"I can absolutely say the same on all accounts. You don't understand how we function..." So you claim to be able to speak to the judgment and integrity of your subordinates and successor? That's quite a lot of hearts and futures to know in advance.

"I am aware of the weight my position has, and the dangers it represents to the psyche and moral well being of one that holds it. Our mission, however, is a righteous one." I know many beings who are better and more intelligent than me, who I would put on a throne before me. You, apparently, don't. If you truly believed in your principles, you would have found a way to enact them without putting yourself on a throne named after yourself.

"One could define half the galaxy's government over the course of existence as fascist if they used the proper qualifiers. This is arbitrary." It is not. There are known criteria for fascism, distilled from the history you gloss over. As I think our conversation has demonstrated, your beliefs meet them precisely.

"...or my people, whom you have never met or interacted with before this dialogue I expect, as an accurate means of judging our moral character." Again, your beliefs are not their fault and I do not maintain that. I accuse you and your regime, not your citizens.

"Know that any disunity this letter has posed toward our people is entirely on your hands, Master Quill." I am completely comfortable taking responsibility for Jedi or Imperium citizens asking difficult questions of conscience and judgment as a result of our discussion. Unity is overrated.

"Please explain your definition. I see it as the division of the Jedi, the lessening of our numbers, and the decline of our moral spirit. I fail to grasp any other view that might make logical sense." I fully agree with that definition. Your fascist principles work toward all of those criteria.

Feel free to have the last word.

Jend-Ro Quill
Jedi Master

Master Quill, I’m afraid I can’t take the words of a previously unknown Jedi that has obviously not fought in the wars against the Sith seriously.

Your agenda is obvious and your concerns are pointless. You cannot define fascism because it’s been broken and redefined so many times it has little by means of a literal definition. Your arguments, as stated, are arbitrary, drawn from sources that I cannot find in the holonet, nor are there any mentions of it in my archives.

I wish you the best in your endeavors. I cannot in good favor continue correspondence with you as you do not come from a place of good faith, have not attempted to understand me, have not attempted to understand the Imperium, our constitution, our values, or our laws and seem to have a set world view in your head that is simply incorrect. Enjoy whatever it is you do, Master, some of us have actual work to do beyond ignorantly discrediting our peers.

Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill

A man can change his stars
All of this spilling out directly over open air?

I could only sit there and watch as a debate was being spilled out before me over what constitutes itself as a "Jedi Order" and what kind of regime would be the one to last the longest. Every part of my training and gut was telling me to speak up my own mind. to interject with thoughts of how the Jedi should be a group of people separate from the likes of ruling. I mean, it was part of the Jedi Codes in some versions, or even just added as "additional text." A Jedi already has physical power over many within the galaxy. Being able to wield blades of Starlight, and using a "magic" that even after eons of research, is still not quantified. Yet these two Masters of the force, had such differing opinions of how one should handle these kinds of situations. This Jend-Ro Quill, I had never heard of before. The name never touched any of the news, or stories I had heard. Was this an older Force user who decided to share thoughts with those who would seek answers from him? Not intending to get the attention of this Imperator Grayson?

I have heard of conflicting views in the Force. Hence why there were so many paths, and orders. Grey Jedi were removed from older Republic Orders due to them being too relax within the "Light of the Force." While I was confused about such things, many of the points that were spoken of seemed to lean in one direction that I felt was the "right" way to do things. While it was purely of my own opinion, from my personal past and instances and teachings, I could not say that I was "correct" in any means of the word.

"Why do the Jedi need to make things so confusing about what is right and wrong?"

There were hundreds upon hundreds of writings of how the Jedi were supposed to act and present themselves. Being a policing force? Lords over land, Peacekeepers? Lone vigilantism? Only focused about studying the force? Yet it seemed that these "Sith Empires" were always the same. An Empire of a mass of Sith, or were following this supposed "Rule of Two." Even now, Sith were an Empire with their "Rule of Order." While new in design as far as I could remember, The Jedi had many, if not hundreds of different orders, philosophies, or other light sided based religions.

Studying more into this, is what I would have to do. I would hope not, but maybe both were wrong? Is there no real "right" or "Good" way for a Jedi to perform their tasks given to them by their codes and orders? I still have years to study such rites and writings. Only time will tell if one, both, or none of these men were right.

Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill P Placeholder 0128

There were many, many Jedi in the Galaxy. Thousands in fact, so it was no surprise that Imperitor Greyson hadn't heard of Master Quill. His name hadn't ever passed any desk she'd served at and he was admittedly a bit of an odd hermity type. The only reason she knew of him was because of his actions on the outer world of Vasar in stopping the tide of the monstrous creatures now known to the Galaxy as the Bryn'adûl. Looking into the mysterious Jedi Master known simply as "Quill" by those that reported on it led to many in Corellian intelligence asking questions and digging which wasn't hard. While Jend-Ro Quill held no accolades of great note he did fight in the Sith Wars and even wars and conflicts before then.
Quill saw his share of Jedi service as a young man in the final years of the Dark Age, and the many wars that followed them

And so watching or rather reading the open letter correspondence on the holonet only deepened her worries when it came to the sudden rise of the Greyson Imperium and their dismissal of those "unknown" to them. She wondered how long it would be before their differing ideologies would clash, before their Jedi moved from claiming their ideals are just to forcing those around them to conform or be downed by their sabers. She knew she was overthinking, but it didn't make the cold feeling she felt in the Force while reading these letters.

Grim Cut

G
Sith space - Ession

Grim sat at the table placed within the dimly lit dinning room precariously. The light was a dull yellow and great swathes of thick dust like smoke could be seen floating through the air in it's light. It was sunny outside however none of the star's warmth found it's way inside the abandoned building that acted as Grim's hideout. The windows were plastered with old newspapers scraps and as the sunlight reflected through the papers many stories could be seen.

Some illustrating the rise of The Dominion and some praising their Sith "liberators". None mentioned the deaths such a war costed those caught beneath the boot of both regimes. The truth was, that in war, millions died in the fighting and no one seemed to ever remember the fallen. But, one thing all knew, the innocent would suffer beneath the Sith's vice.

Grim was a freedom fighter and while he sat at the table drawing battle lines in the thin film of dust that covered it, the refugees and those wanted by the Sith regime cowered in the basement beneath him. A child ran up to him and grabbed hold his knee. Caught by surprise he smeared the battle plan he had been working on and cursed.

"Mister Grim, when may we eat?" The child whined loudly and Grim glared at him furiously.

His belly was swollen from hunger and Grim's anger quickly turned to sadness at the sight of him. He shushed him by placing a index finger to his lips.

"Remember quiet hours are from sun up to sun down. We will have soup at midnight," Grim whispered to the child with a hopeful look upon his face.

The child nodded with tears in his eyes as he rubbed his belly unconsciously. Grim beckoned to one of his troops and grabbed hold the child's hand, prying it from his swollen belly. He handed it to the soldier and pointed downwards. The soldier nodded in assent and took the child back down to the basement. Tonight for dinner they would have boiled water filled with what little dirty produce they had left.

They were allowed to eat once a night and those who slept through the meal got nothing. Grim and his men themselves were barely able to sustain themselves. Caring for the civilians was taking its toll but if they did not then no one would. Shortly after the child departed Grim was approached by a recruit. The man handed him a datapad and Grim took it with interest. Anything that might distract him from the current situation was welcome.

But, what he read in it made him furious. The forces of "light" were debating on whether or not they would destroy each other over their differing views. Meanwhile the Sith vowed and successfully did destroy them! Grim shook his head and threw the data pad to the floor. He crushed it violently with his boot and mimed a silent scream. They were truly doomed, all Grim could do was buy them time.

The recruit made a hasty exit and the other troops saw fit to make themselves busy elsewhere. Only Grim's trusted lieutenant remained in the room with him. He approached Grim and hugged him. Grim placed his head between the man's shoulder blade and silently cried...

Last edited by a moderator:
Heliobas had been a man of science before his experience with the Force caused him to change his path, but he also knew something of history. The mere existence of the Force had created an eternal conflict, one which was supposed to perpetually seek balance between the two extremes. Unfortunately the varying philosophies on both sides of the aisle had resulted in just as many civil wars as those between the Jedi and the Sith.

This endless debate over how the Jedi should function, which had now manifested itself in the public forum writings of Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill and P Placeholder 0128 , was a most tiresome affair. The obvious - but not very constructive - response was to conclude that they were both wrong. Grayson was certainly a prig, the worst kind of self-righteous hypocrite, but Quill appeared to be just as bad, an aging scholar content to complain about the Imperium from the safety of his ivory tower rather than doing something about this fascism he claimed to see brewing in the Core.

Seeing an opportunity, Heliobas composed a private message to Quill - a request that the Jedi master outline his ideals, explaining what role he would prefer the Jedi to have in the galaxy rather than simply picking apart the Imperium's flaws. He didn't think much would come of it, but it would be interesting to see if Quill could come up with an intellectually sound response.

It is easy to criticize, he concluded his message, but it is far more difficult to come up with something better.

Seeing an opportunity, Heliobas composed a private message to Quill - a request that the Jedi master outline his ideals, explaining what role he would prefer the Jedi to have in the galaxy rather than simply picking apart the Imperium's flaws. He didn't think much would come of it, but it would be interesting to see if Quill could come up with an intellectually sound response.

It is easy to criticize, he concluded his message, but it is far more difficult to come up with something better.

Quill replied privately as follows.

"Master Heliobas,

"Just as there are many sound forms of government, I've seen many reasonable and more or less functional models for the Jedi relationship with government. I have no overriding preference. I admit I'm opposed in principle to models that give Jedi leadership political power by virtue of their Jedi positions, but I can't deny the stability and effectiveness of the Silver Jedi and, for a time, the Galactic Alliance. Grayson's error is a matter of decent reasoning taken unapologetically too far without a sense of proportion. In a war-torn galaxy, close cooperation stands to pragmatic reason. The risk arises when Jedi with political power start to believe themselves wiser or more ethical than their peers. They typically carry the day unopposed. The results, in my experience, are always extreme.

"I'd welcome your thoughts.

"Jend-Ro Quill, Hoth Jedi Enclave"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom