Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoiler Project Luminous

Alana Sunrider

A

So! We have the next stage of Star Wars getting announced. 200 years prior to Phantom Menace, the Republic expanding, threats on the border, lots of exploration, Jedi Knights of the Round Table/Jedi Texas Rangers patrolling their frontier.
What are people thinking?

Thraztin

T
I hope that setting it only 200 years before The Phantom menace means they are shortening the time line. One of my biggest gripes with the expanded universe is that its incredibly long. The Republic existed for something like 5,000 years, and the galactic history spanned back to 25,000 BBY. Im hoping that Disney makes the timeline a little more believable.

Alana Sunrider

A
That’s what I’m wondering too, Maiven. Or my other thought is the galaxy has gone through multiple iterations of a Republic. Because 1000 generations is way longer than what this new one would suggest.

Captain Jordan Captain Jordan Same, so much.

200 years before TPM seems too close to the movies for a Republic 'golden age' and for the rim to still be super unexplored. Also Jedi fighting random criminals (or at most cultists or a Dark Jedi here and there) doesn't sound interesting.

There's a reason why you don't set stories during the centuries when Gondor was the supreme, unchallenged power and Sauron was a wisp of a ghost. It's dull. There's no conflict when good is overwhelming and its enemies are randoms.

Last edited:
Indeed, it seems like they're trying to feed off the Mandolorian and do a story set apart from the big political narratives. But...what can you do at this time? There's no Sith, no Empire, it's a time with no Star Wars.

There's a reason why you don't set stories during the centuries when Gondor was the supreme, unchallenged power and Sauron was a wisp of a ghost. It's dull. There's no conflict when good is overwhelming and its enemies are randoms.

You mean like the upcoming Second Age prequel series from Amazon? :p

Honestly I am kind of looking forward to a setting where stories can be told about Jedi without the constant doom of their order's ultimate failure and destruction looming over everyone's heads. Of course a completely idyllic story would be boring to read but I'm not sure I buy the idea that just because this series doesn't seem to feature any Sith achieving their comeuppance its a throwaway idea or that Jedi doing Jedi things on the edge of civilization is too 'dull'.

I do agree that 200 years seems way too recent for the Outer Rim to still be unexplored but I think a lot of people are taking it on faith that the Legends and Disney timeline for the Republic will remain 1:1 and honestly I'm not so sure.

You mean like the upcoming Second Age prequel series from Amazon? :p

A very poor comparison since the Second Age has, among many other things, the fall of Numenor and the Last Alliance against Sauron. It is very good fodder for a TV series. The Second Age of Middle-Earth ends with Sauron's first downfall. The last battle is huge. It's the exact opposite of a peaceful, golden age where good is supreme and only has to worry about bandits and random cultists. Even if they go back earlier to say the forging of the Rings, there's a lot of cool materiel. This is the time when Sauron still has a body.

If people enjoy 'Luminous', cool. I think the sequels are bad movies, but there are people who enjoy them and that's fine. But in my view the setting is poorly chosen and does not seem interesting. Facing more mundane threats works for the Mandalorian because he's an ordinary, albeit highly skilled mortal with a blaster and his opponents have the same weapons. But Jedi block blasters and their lightsabres cut down enemies.

Last edited:
A very poor comparison since the Second Age has, among many other things, the fall of Numenor and the Last Alliance against Sauron. It is very good fodder for a TV series. The Second Age of Middle-Earth ends with Sauron's first downfall. The last battle is huge. It's the exact opposite of a peaceful, golden age where good is supreme and only has to worry about bandits and random cultists. Even if they go back earlier to say the forging of the Rings, there's a lot of cool materiel. This is the time when Sauron still has a body.

Depending on when in the Second Age you pick, sure. My point was its a story set during the so called 'height of Numenorian civilization' and that doesn't seem boring to me even though I already know how it will turn out broad strokes. I agree there is a lot of cool material in earlier eras of the LotR, its just my opinion that the same could be said of the High Republic setting is all. Not every story involving Jedi has to involve the holy war and fate of the galaxy, but I'm not going to try to debate you into being excited about it. After all I enjoyed the new movies but there are people that disliked them and that's fine. Just offering an alternative take.

Zark San Tekka Zark San Tekka
We know from current canon that the Sith and a full blown war with Darth Bane was ~1000 years before TPM so things can't have been that unadvanced then.

Sure but that doesn't tell us a lot about the state or timeline of galactic exploration except to say that Moraband/Korriban was known to the Sith and maybe the Jedi. This is also around the Old Republic's dark age, so maybe something a bit like Gulag where a lot of old information was lost? Either way I still agree 200 years seems like a very short time to be telling such a story.

Last edited:
Not very excited, I didn't enjoy Rise of Skywalker, the Mandalorian memes killed it for me, and the kid TV show animation styles hurt my eyes. This new thing they're bringing out, High Republic....the fact that the white board says "Actual Ending" makes me laugh.

Disney can't touch something without ruining it or shaping it into something it doesn't need to be. I'd rather never watch another Star Wars thing again assume EP3 is the last movie and the books are done than pretend to enjoy TLJ or ROS.

The fact that one man openly admits that Disney Neve planned to use GL's scripts for the movies is plain disrespectful, and morally gross.

Not gonna lie, RO and Solo were great. I enjoyed them, Force Awakens had me. Mandalorian was fun, till people started shouting "This is the way" and posting Baby Yoda everywhere.

Rebels was a lame ending, Battlefront 2 is lack luster, I could care less about Fallen Order....we all know the protagonist dies. The comics are just.....as over the top as the EU....Vader killing a massive monster on horse back?

It's hard to sit here and agree with people about how good the FXs were for these movies and shows when the stories are just as out of line and derailed as the EU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom