Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Private Evolutions

Ashin Cardé Varanin

Couple bodies in the garden where the grass grows

LoWzPxz.png

NEAR PANDO

A little ways outside town, a foggy evening concealed a huge building that wasn't exactly a building. It was, in fact, a small to midsize capital ship-scale mobile academy of higher Dark Side learning.

"Welcome to the Pomojema," said Ashin to today's companions. "It's an educational institution, you could say. Shaye, consider this your first step into a larger world. Illian, you've grown by leaps and bounds since I met you, and here's where you'll find the skills and answers you've earned. Nimdok...there's a library. Go learn what you please, and maybe it'll give you some context you couldn't gain from other sources. And you, friend," she said to Maestus - "we still need to get to know each other."

She held out plain rings in black metal.

"These mark you as my guests. Nobody aboard will cross you or harm you if you wear them."

Shaye Ares Shaye Ares Illian Dragos Illian Dragos Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok Maestus Maestus

LoWzPxz.png

Shaye couldn't help but be impressed.

This place – ship – was massive. She'd never seen anything like it before, and she'd never felt anything like it before, either. It was a strange sensation, something completely new. There was almost a heartbeat; like the ship itself was a living, breathing thing. Of course, she knew that wasn't it. It probably had to do with the people aboard the Pomojema.

The young woman drew in a deep breath as Ashin greeted them, and she steeled herself as her new teacher said this would be her first step. With her, were fellows that she'd met at the Night Market. Her gaze flickered to each briefly out of the corner of her eyes, but soon turned to the rings that Ashin held out to them.

Without skipping a beat, she reached out to pluck one from the woman's open palm. Shaye held it for a moment, looking at the sleek black metal as Ashin explained the meaning of these rings. They weren't simply jewelry, but a mark. She slipped the ring onto her right index finger, where it would be readily visible.

For the moment, she was quiet, but she was also eager to begin -- a fact evident by the glint in her blue eyes.

Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin

Why did Sith Academies have to always have weird names?

Looking at the interior of the floating starship, he had gotten excited at the possibilities of learning all the secrets Ashin had stored inside here. To him, he was a child, being taught by a teacher, exploring contents of materials that he couldn't comprehend. But that was why he was here: the Epicanthix warrior had come to learn.

Stacked with hundreds of datapads with seemingly endless batteries, Illian was intending to stay on this academy for a long, long time. This would be his new home, far from the comfortabilities the Confederacy had assured in him. Maybe he'd even married here. Who knew this days. A while back, he'd been living in Nar Shadaah. It seemed that changing homes frequently was something he'd expect in his life.

"Sorry for the mess." he said, holding his hand behind the back of his head with an awkward smile. He wasn't the best organizer, but he'd done his best to get everything he could with the time he had.

Like Shaye Ares Shaye Ares , Illian put the ring on his middle finger. He clenched his first to make it more comfortable, and looked at his other peers.

Where was the other guy?

Nimdok couldn't help comparing the Pomojema to other centers of learning he'd visited. The College of Enlightenment, for instance, or the Silver Rest, or one of the numerous abandoned archives he'd plundered as a younger, very different man. That didn't make this mobile academy any less imposing, of course, but he would be more impressed once he saw the contents of the ship's library.

He accepted the black metal ring Ashin handed to him, placing it on his right hand. "Thank you for having us over," he said. "I'll be sure to leave everything the way I found it."

Was Illian looking at him, or someone else? The young man seemed to be searching for someone. Nimdok noted with some amusement that he'd more or less made himself at home on the ship.

His smile faded when he glanced at Shaye, so excited and eager to learn, overwhelmed by the magnitude of all that was happening. Well, at least he could keep an eye on her and Ashin while he was here.

Shaye Ares Shaye Ares Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin Illian Dragos Illian Dragos Maestus Maestus

Ashin Cardé Varanin

LoWzPxz.png

A turbolift deposited them in a grand training chamber that stank of smoke and cleaning chemicals. The place had a deep chill, an aura of the Dark Side.

sqbCRzi.gif

"Most of the students here are knights and masters in their own right," Ashin explained, walking up to the central platform, which was large enough for a duel all by itself. "You'll note that the walls are plated with phrik, an extremely durable metal. We use this room for...let's say high-impact training. Full-contact combat, creating and testing new Sith abilities, and so forth. Get knocked off the platform, and you tumble onto the lower tier. Get knocked off that and..." She gestured at the chasm all around, where steam hissed up from vents fed by alchemical furnaces elsewhere. "...well, we've got bacta tanks.

"Tell me...what do you know about actually using the Force? I could guess for some of you, but give me your answer. How do you access it? How do you feel when you access it?"

Shaye Ares Shaye Ares Illian Dragos Illian Dragos Maestus Maestus Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok

LoWzPxz.png

Shaye was quiet during the ride on the turbolift, and she stepped out into the large chamber after Ashin. She brought her hand up to cover her nose and mouth for a moment, to guard from the mix of rather strong smells, but she forced her hand down and stood straight. Despite her wanting to appear brave in the face of this new experience, she felt the strangeness of this place – all the way inside her bones.

She listened as Ashin spoke, and understood that this was a unique opportunity for her – someone with literally no experience. Illian would have an advantage, for sure. Her blue eyes traveled about the chamber, noting the heat coming up from below.

As for the question posed to the group...

She didn't know anything, not yet. Still, she drew the crystal out of her pocket and held it lightly in her palm, it still glowed a purple hue. “This is all I know,” she answered. “That it... responds to things or people that are force sensitive.” Shaye didn't know exactly how it did this, and she shifted her weight slightly, sheepish.

Of course, the others knew that she was new to this. And she was interested to hear the other answers. Was it different for everyone?

Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin , Illian Dragos Illian Dragos , Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok

Maestus was at the back of the group, silent and vigilant. She took the ring with a nod to Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin .
She was familiar with the Pomojema. It belonged to one of the Warlords of the Sith.

AS her protector for the time being led them into the training room, Maestus took note of the details. Getting knocked off the lower tier simply would not do. When Ashin spoke again, she gave the Master her full attention. This was an opportunity for Maestus to learn, become stronger and more powerful.

She lowered her hood finally, and spoke up.

Master Varanin, I am rather skilled. My Master has seen to it that I am worthy of being a Sith. However, I am always seeking knowledge, more training.

20201214_225131.png

Looking around, his eyes were slightly focused at the Twilek with tattoos. Why did he see so many people with tattoos in this place? Glancing up on the ceiling, he thought about the question. How did he connect with the force?

"Well...", he looked at Ashin.

"I suppose I connect with it the most when I'm angry. Really angry. But when I'm calm, I just try and reach for it.. It's a weird feeling to describe. It's like trying to catch a stone someone throws towards you. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't." he uttered.

"As for my abilities... Well, I've grown since we've last met. Got some more basic abilities, but I'm still progressing." he uttered. Vague, but it was still enough information to continue with the discussion. What he wanted to know was what was she up to?

Raising his eyebrows at Ashin's description of the slightly gross-smelling chamber's purpose, Nimdok dared to peer over the edge of the platform they were grouped together on. He whistled at the distance to the bottom, then stepped carefully away as she asked what they knew about the Force.

"It's an energy field which exists in all living things. Some people can manipulate it to varying degrees. Everything else is conjecture." He shrugged. "My connection to the Force isn't particularly strong. It feels like I'm inside a house peering out through an open window at the world beyond. I can never leave that house, at least not until I die. But I always know the world is there, and I'm a part of it. That is... comforting, I suppose."

Ashin Cardé Varanin

LoWzPxz.png

A turbolift deposited them in a grand training chamber that stank of smoke and cleaning chemicals. The place had a deep chill, an aura of the Dark Side.

Ashin nodded approvingly at Shaye. "What you have there is a thaissen crystal, if you remember - and yes, it responds to the Force. It's a useful test of whether someone has the spark. The Force is an energy field that stretches through the galaxy: some people have the gift of learning to feel it and use it as a tool and a weapon.

"Illian here is a few steps beyond where you are. He's learned that when his state of mind is a controlled anger, it makes the Force much easier to access; the alternative is calm focus, which the Jedi use." There was much more to it, but she didn't want to overwhelm Shaye. "Illian visualizes pushing someone, desires it, almost obsesses over it - and they're pushed. It's about commitment rather than whim. In fundamental principle, it's no different from the arts I've used to survive death. Illian, you've learned well. Perhaps you can help Shaye take her first steps, like Avalore Avalore did for you on Balowa."

She turned her focus to Maestus and Nimdok now.

"My guess is you two take remarkably different approaches and feel the Force in remarkably different ways. Nimdok, I guarantee if you tried to use the Force as a Sith does - a matter of getting fired up, ambition, will, personal investment - you'd be able to leverage your potential to its fullest. Think of the old fable of the teacher who held his student's head underwater. 'When you want knowledge like you wanted air, then you'll be ready to learn.' And you, Maestus...to my eye you feel like a wild, chaotic darksider, the complete opposite of our friend here. Is that accurate?"

Shaye Ares Shaye Ares Illian Dragos Illian Dragos Maestus Maestus Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok

LoWzPxz.png

Nimdok shook his head and crossed his arms over his chest. "As a teacher, I cannot fathom how deliberately endangering a student's life would help them learn anything. But since teaching isn't quite the same as training, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Trauma certainly does leave a profound imprint on the psyche." He shrugged. "It's just that, well, I don't think everyone is cut out psychologically to be a Sith Lord in the first place. I know I'm not. Most people aren't, or else the galaxy would be full of self-proclaimed Dark Lords. In fact, an old friend of mine was exactly the sort of student you're thinking of. Weak-willed, undisciplined, lacking any real drive to succeed..."

As he spoke, he stumbled quite naturally into his typical long-windedness, though in this case at least, it was because he was telling a story. "One day she developed a burning desire to kill a particular Sith Lord. She had already failed at being a Jedi, so she went to the Sith instead, hoping to learn their ways and acquire just enough power to kill this guy.

"Her master employed the same methods you've described, pushing her, hurting her, messing with her mind. In the end, she learned... but she was utterly broken in the process. The day came when she finally snapped and tried to kill her master. Coincidentally, I was there that day." He winked. "So I know it was terrible. She was no match for that witch of a Sith. Put up a valiant effort, but was quickly overwhelmed and defeated.

"Luckily, this friend of mine is still alive. Her master threw her out after she botched the betrayal. She has a family now and as far as I can tell, she's happy. But she isn't a warrior or a conqueror. She's a romance novelist." His eyes drifted to the deck to hide the emotion within. "And the Sith Lord who set her on that path, the one who she was so desperate to kill, is still alive too."

Maestus listened as Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok told a tale of his friend. When he spoke of the master kicking her out, she scowled deeply. Such weakness, on both their parts. Her for failing to kill the master. And his for allowing her to live. But it was no consequence to her, so she turned her focus to Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin .

Master Varanin, you are mostly correct. As Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok said of his friend, my Master is brutal and vicious. But very effective. When one is taught in such a manner, it is easy to tell if they are strong enough to survive. As I still stand, my Master has been satisfied with my strength,m both physical and mental

You believe I am wild and chaotic, which, I suppose is true. But it is controlled wildness. Controlled chaos. It is said of many Sith that they are consumed by emotion. Overwhelmed by them. Utterly lacking in the strength of will to control it, to command it. I am grateful for my Master's teaching, because he is very insistent that I control my power, yet strong enough to command it. That isn't to say there is not chaos in me. Because there is. A great deal. I fuel my power with rage, hate and heat. I do not claim to have perfect control yet, but I have made great strides.

20201214_225131.png

Nodding, he went to Shaye Ares. He'd heard many teachers, so he hoped that he could be able to mimic some of their teachings and use them toward his advantage. Remembering his past attempts to use the force, he was happy to have used the bracelet. The same feeling he had then, he now possessed when he connected to the force.

"I don't think anger is the best way to call on the force, but for some it is. It's really up to you." he spoke, hoping Ashin didn't hear his elucidation.

"You have to keep in control of your emotions. Using your anger and your other emotions is the easy part. Turning them into fuel to drive a car, instead of them exploding in your face is the hard part." He hoped his analogies worked well. The young squire didn't know much, but he intended on doing his best to help Shaye.

"Close your eyes. Remember those that have wronged you. All the memories you have, let that channel your fear and anger. Imagine you drowning, and the force is the only thing that saved you. Call for it in that way." he said.

"Alternatively, you could imagine yourself in a peaceful world, sitting down. And your a tourist in the world, with the force being your tour guide. You could try that method as well." Looking at her, he wondered which method he'd chose. All he could do though was thank himself for having both Jedi, and Sith tutor him. He'd learned both of their ways in the Confederacy, and that had motivated him to follow a more neutral path.

Shaye Ares Shaye Ares

Thaissen crystal. Shaye had forgotten just what it was called. And the force was an energy field. It was easy to understand, in theory. But when she thought about putting it into practice and accessing the force like the others had? Her mind felt like it was on the verge of expanding... or exploding.

Shaye's blue eyes shifted towards Illian Dragos Illian Dragos as Ashin mentioned him. She regarded him with something like respect, very unlike the normal indifference she showed people. Her eyes narrowed thoughtfully as Ashin explained the process... how one could simply visualize and desire something and make it so.

As Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin turned her attention to Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok and Maestus Maestus , so did she turn her attention to Illian. She lifted her chin slightly as he began to enlighten her to the process.

So, she had to maintain control. Deep down, she had a feeling it would be easier said than done. “Alright,” she said with a nod and closed her eyes. Listening to both options, she felt the flicker of a smirk form on her lips when he mentioned imaging herself in a peaceful place. Now, that sounded boring. She wasn't the type to sit on a rock and think about stuff. But she she could imagine those that wronged her – many had.

Her mother. Her absent—unknown-to-her—father. Every single person that had looked down on her, the street rat. Every deal turned sour, every time she'd been left with less credits than she was due. It all came back to her easily, maybe too easily. She'd felt like she was drowning before, whenever life got to be too much. Normally, she'd turn to spice to get her through... but now, she tried to call upon the force.

The corner of her closed eye twitched.

Maybe it was this place, maybe it was the people around her... but she felt it. A tingle. A spark in the back of her mind. Like opening a door she didn't even know was there. What she sensed most... was power.

“I feel... this place,”
she said, whispering... afraid to lose this new connection.

"I guess you can say you've touched the force." he said smiling. He was happy not only for her, but for himself, because he'd successfully elucidated what he had learned previously. It showed his progress, and he felt himself inching closer to his goal.

"Don't be afraid. Your a natural. I had to use an enhancer to enhance m connection. You did it naturally."

Standing with his hands behind his back, he began to elaborate on the current perspectives that dominated what the force was.

"There are two doctrines, a dualistic perspective that's often articulated: one believes that through your passions, you will gain strength, then power, etc. Where we stand, the Sith often articulate and push forward a doctrine like that. There code often goes like this: 'Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through pasison, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken: The Force shall free me.' From what I understand, they tend to believe the dark side of the force is the force's natural state. " Illian then went to articulate the Jedi Code, before elaborating on his own thoughts on the matter.

"They believe in disciple, self-tolerance, harmony, and so forth. Take what you will about their code and consider it another time. But I wanted you to know that in contrast to those that believe in the dark, and the light, there are those that believe the force is one. They don't believe in a dark, or a light side." he said.

"I'm not going to bore you now. I just thought you should know this. I wish I did initially when I had began my force studies." he said.

Remembering his time with the Zeison Sha, he attempted to replicate a certain exercise to the best of his ability, with the materials he had. He called on a certain heavy piece of metal, and with his concentration, he brought near them.

"Lift this up." he said.

"And repeat what one of the two methods I told you earlier."

Shaye Ares Shaye Ares / Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin / Maestus Maestus / Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok

Ashin Cardé Varanin

LoWzPxz.png

While Illian Dragos Illian Dragos worked with Shaye Ares Shaye Ares , Ashin focused on Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok and Maestus Maestus .

"The story - the teacher holding his student's head under the waves - is just a metaphor. I've placed students in life-threatening situations, yes, but only once they've demonstrated they're ready for those situations. Life and death is our business. Good against remotes is one thing; good against the living is something else. That's fundamental to Sith pedagogy, the real kind that far too few Sith Lords actually care to delve into. Where plenty of my fellow teachers err - and I strongly discourage it here on the Pomojema - is just defaulting to lethal risk and needlessly high-stakes behavior. It's not even a matter of tradition, just poor teaching. I'm very interested in teaching for better learning - professionalizing how we pass on our skills. You could make a significant impact here, Nimdok.

"Tell me, Maestus - have you taken a student yet? What's your experience with teaching? Have you only learned from one instructor, or several?"

LoWzPxz.png

Nimdok caught a whiff of contempt from Maestus just before she answered Ashin's question. The Lethan described herself as fitting neatly into the prescribed mold of a typical Sith. Crave power, crush the weak, rinse and repeat.

Ashin's reply to what he had said came across as defensive, perhaps even apologetic. On the other hand, he might be missing something here. He was beginning to wonder if Ashin was really just an ambiguous, nebulous "Dark Side User" who looked upon the Sith with embarrassment at the mind-numbing viciousness and chaos they often cultivated with their philosophy.

"I disagree," he said. "The Sith do have a tradition of this method of teaching—in the past, they've relied on trauma and hardship to weed out weakness among their acolytes, and to toughen up the survivors. It's the basis of the Rule of Two, is it not? And as I said, I don't doubt it's effectiveness. I simply find it... twisted."

He shrugged. "If I've misunderstood you, I apologize. You did describe yourself as a Sith Lord when we were in the marketplace. Or did you mean that you were a Sith, but not anymore?"

Maestus was quiet for a moment. Taking in the small group around her. She was taking stock of each person. Though when her gaze landed on Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin she nodded once, and listened to the questions posed to her by the Sith Master. She mulled them over in her head before responding.

She wanted to teach but was extremely selective. She had only found one who piqued her interest enough to even consider it. It would have to wait, as the other girl had ran when Maestus probed her mind. Apparently such things are quite the scandal in polite society. Who knew??

Despite that set back, the girl was still on Maestus mind. She possessed a unique strength of will that Maestus respected. And her mind was open and pliable. But all in due time. She gave a dry, soft sigh, then looked back to Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin .

No, I have not taught any thus far. I am still learning myself. And honestly? I've met only 1 who interests me enough to even contemplate teaching, taking an apprentice.

Her red rimmed black eyes trailed to a porthole, and she stared at teh stars stretching out forever. She felt odd in space. She could pilot a ship, command battle from the stars and do battle herself there as well. But she was so detached from the sun, the heat that sustained her. It made her irritable, being so far from the heat, and a scowl escaped as she longed for the warmth again.

Isis had been abject horror for her. It was so cold. Maestus was not used to such temperatures. Too cold, and she weakens to some degree. She had been alone on Isis, in the sense that she felt cut off from one of her sources of strength. And Alina Tremiru Alina Tremiru had possibly sensed that.

Now Maestus sneered at herself, her gaze swinging back to the group, then to Ashin.

I have had formal training with only my Master, Darth Solipsis Darth Solipsis . In the Warlords, I will watch the various Lords and decide if one is a suitable match for training me further. Before I met Solipsis, I was self taught. From an early age, I experimented on the minds of others. The rumors of my species are true. Twi'Leks are weak and perfect slaves.

She shifts her eyes to Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok and Shaye Ares Shaye Ares and winked slowly.

But no, Master Varanin. I have only had 1 formal teacher. In most areas, I am self taught. Hence why I earlier said chaotic yet controlled. The control becomes stronger everyday.

20201214_225131.png

Despite the fact that Shaye would normally have zoned out pretty fast, she actually listened to what Illian had to say. The dark side of the force was one's natural state? Well, that sounded pretty good to her. So did strength, power, and victory – things she'd never had before were dangling right there in front of her face.

It was tempting to say the least.

When he began to elaborate on what the Jedi believed, she did feel her eyes start to glaze over just a touch. And she let out a thankful breath when he said she could consider it another time. Yup, she'd do that... probably not.

Shaye glanced towards the others, just in time to catch Maestus winking. She shifted her weight slightly, but let her eyes linger for a moment on Ashin. She was strong; she had command – it was pretty obvious to Shaye. And she hoped, someday, she could be like that, too. For the moment, she was feeling pretty karking confident in her decision to accept training.

Though, she said nothing to Illian, she nodded steadily. He moved the piece of metal with a sort of ease, no groans or grunts of effort. Ha! This was going to be easy. She was a natural, right?

Shaye focused on the metal.

Once more, she let her mind fall into her past. Feelings, bad ones. She projected these onto the piece she was attempting to move, unsure if that was the right way. The cold dark slab was every person she hated most. Shaye stared, and the metal began to vibrate – or that's what it looked like. The emotions were very real, but so was doubt.

Everything stopped. “So,” she reached up and scratched her head. “I use these... feelings to gain power, right? And I... imagine-- no, I believe-- that the metal piece is going to do just what I want it to?”

She mouthed the word: how, but mostly to herself.

Illian Dragos Illian Dragos
Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin , Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok , Maestus Maestus

Ashin Cardé Varanin

LoWzPxz.png

"That's what I'm talking about, @Nimdok," Ashin said sharply. "Genuine Sith teaching practices are a far cry from what you're depicting - and frankly, what too many modern Sith choose. I've been to college, and looking at their diversity of teaching practices and quality and abuses, I'm not sure academia has much moral high ground. When you sign up to be a Sith, you know you're in for a tough path that weeds out the less committed by design. It's not torture; think of it more like special forces training. Will there be pain? Obviously. Will you learn? Oh yes indeed. Maestus Maestus , when the time comes for you to teach, what will you do like your master did, and what will you do better?"

LoWzPxz.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom