Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phonetic Alphabet

So I was bored today and decided to work on a Star Wars themed phonetic alphabet for use in military communications. I found a wiki article that posted one that was apparently used in some of the old Expanded Universe books, but overall I didn't care for it-though I did take a few entries from it. Anyway, feel free to use it or tell me what you think!

Phonetic Alphabet

A – Alderaan
B- Bantha
C – Capital
D – Darth
E – Ewok
F – Force
G – Galaxy
H – Holocron
I – Ithor
J – Jawa
K – Kessel
L – Lightspeed
M – Maul
N – Nova
O – Ossus
P – Padawan
Q – Quasar
R – Ronto
S – Sithspawn
T – Tibanna
U – Uniform
V – Viceroy
W – Wampa
X – X-Wing
Y – Yavin
Z - Zabrak

[member="Kale Seleare"]

That's fair enough. Though looking at the Aurebesh, I can see that there are a lot of repeating sounds which can be a problem when trying to relay information through the static and background noise common in a battle.

For instance, if I were trying to call down an orbital strike on a battalion of Sith while under fire, I could definitely see where it might be hard for the gunnery officer I'm speaking with to distinguish the difference between Besh, Cresh, Xesh or Thesh with blasterfire going off and the screams of the wounded and dying in the background.

The idea behind a phonetic alphabet is that the word associated with each letter has differing endings and numbers of syllables: Bantha, Capital, X-Wing and Tibanna respectively. As you can see, it would be far more difficult for the person you're talking with to get mistake these words for any of the others.

That being said, we're all writing our own stories so use whatever makes you happy. This was just my thinking on the matter.

A man can change his stars
[member="Beltran Rarr"], Oh I completely understand the sentiment. What I would recommend doing then, is opening this topic to the site as a whole so then others can use it as well, and makes it easier for others to understand. Plus, if they wanted to use it as well, they can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom