Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Phaselings

Status
Not open for further replies.
AoRbtqu.jpg
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Name: Phaselings
  • Designation: Sentient
  • Origins: The Primyn Group
  • Average Lifespan: N/A, see former species.
  • Estimated Population: Semi-Unique
  • Description: The result of twisted experiments carried out by Adrian Vandiir and his Primyn compatriots, Phaselings are the species they were, and yet not, the person they were, and yet not, of this universe, and yet distinctly alien. Their powers are as strange as the creatures from which they were made, their very presence upsetting to the natural order.
PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Breathes: N/A, see former species.
  • Average Height of Adults: N/A, see former species.
  • Average Length of Adults: N/A, see former species.
  • Skin Colour: Phaselings retain their former skin colour, though it may dull somewhat - when channelling large amounts of power, their skin and the flesh beneath may turn partially transparent, especially when phasing through solid objects.
  • Hair Colour: N/A, see former species.
  • Distinctions: Generally resembles their former species, though extensive usage of their more esoteric abilities has the potential to alter their very bodies, making them more and more alien. A highly individual process, it is likely to transpire entirely differently from person to person.
  • Races: N/A
  • Force Sensitivity: All; Phaselings are Force Sensitive, they have to be. The strange procedure that transforms them into their "new, superior forms" results in somewhat less ideal results when used on NFUs - a puddle of boiling goo, if they're lucky.
STRENGTHS:
  • Multiphasic Lifeform: Phaselings are mostly there, but not quite. Part of them exists in other dimensions entirely, and with concentration, they are able to pull off all sorts of weirdness - phasing through walls, having blaster bolts pass through them, and even with practice learning to teleport - or rather cease to be somewhere and begin to be somewhere, usually within line of sight.
  • Reality Bender: Both native to this reality and yet distinctly alien, Phaselings find the boundaries of reality much more malleable than other Force Users - in particular, most show a significant aptitude for manipulating gravity, with altering their own weight being particularly easy. A few are even able to, with time, learn to "stretch" time somewhat, making it feel slower for others and faster for themselves - this is both risky and energy consuming, however, and attempting to actually time travel, even for a few seconds, is impossible - and liable to make them implode.
  • Remnants of Old: Not a true species of their own, Phaselings retain the strengths of the species they were before the change.
WEAKNESSES:
  • Voices from Beyond: With the ability to act in multiple dimensions comes unwanted attention. Phaselings often hear things that are not there and sometimes even see visions of strange new worlds - which is as likely to happen during a coffee break as an intense battle. At times, they might even feel things trying to influence them, to make them the puppets by which they influence our reality.
  • Playing with Fire: Phaselings toy with reality, and in doing so upset the status quo - unfortunately, the universe does not much like exceptions. Without constant concentration, their abilities are likely to immediately fail - a rather unpleasant prospect, if one is phasing through a wall. Especially grandiose displays also run the risk of potentially deadly backlash - at least one test subject met his demise when the gravity field he was manipulating collapsed in on itself, crushing him into a sphere the size of a marble in an instant.
  • Murphyonic Field: Phaselings are walking anomalies, their very presence upsetting the balance of the universe - as such, accidents seem to happen around them unusually often, ranging from technical malfunctions to tripping and falling. This is especially intense when making heavy use of one's power - with practice, Phaselings can learn to provoke this reaction, or keep it somewhat dormant when not using their powers, but it can never truly be removed.
  • Practice makes Perfect: While their abilities might be "inborn", the skill required to control them is not - expect the learning curve to be roughly equivalent to that of your regular Force User, except with a significantly higher risk of imploding.
  • Remnants of Old: Not a true species of their own, Phaselings retain the weaknesses of the species they were before the change.
CULTURE
  • Diet: N/A, see former species.
  • Communication: N/A, see former species.
  • Technology Level: N/A, see former species.
  • Religion/Beliefs: N/A, see former species.
  • General Behaviour: In theory, they should be the same person as before, but the change does something to them. Oddities are individual and may change over time, such as answering questions before they are asked, staring at a wall for hours on end, "forgetting" to sleep for months with no real side effects, or suddenly deciding to "hibernate" for a standard week.
HISTORICAL INFORMATION
Following his acquisition of Rozzum specimens from PL-40112-CE021105, and the Primyn Group's acquisition of a "live" Starweird from Force knows where, Archon Vandiir and his colleagues began yet another experiment, seeking to push and prod at the edges of reality once more.

Acquiring various criminals and prisoners of war from the greater Empire, the group began a number of parallel projects, from the purely biological to the most obscure of sorceries. After numerous setbacks, a promising subject finally appeared, a Force Sensitive Twi'lek named Ecran not only proving stable, but also able to manipulate gravity itself!

Unfortunately, Ecran met his end when an overly ambitious test made him push too hard, only to find himself crushed into a fleshy marble.

Undeterred, they needed a new test subject, a hardier one, and one that was Force Sensitive to boot. Enter Rook Heimdal, a terrorist affiliated with the Kathul Outback captured by a Sith's forces in 847 ABY. Having endured various experiments, she eventually ended up encased in carbonite and traded back and forth, the Force Sensitive Firrerreo too rare to waste on just any project.

Ripping her from her carbonite coffin, she was given the barest minimum of time to recover from her decade-long slumber before the experiments began. For months, they persisted, using the experiences gleaned from earlier failures and her natural regeneration to hone their new specimen to perfection, evening out kinks and keeping the risk of exploding heads to a bare minimum.

... and then, she was done. Complete. All that remained was the field test.

NB! As always, nothing in this submission is an excuse for calling hits or the like. Don't do it. Seriously.​

Last edited:
AMCO AMCO

Greetings! Overall, this is a very interesting submission. Especially since I see it was made for chits and giggles Science. I fully support the humor found throughout.

For the Review - Please take a gander at Species Creation Rules.

e975db57e90a302ade2a55c7fd7bf67f.png

At least one test subject met his demise when his personal gravity increased a thousandfold, crushing him into a sphere the size of a marble in an instant.

Now, this quote is cool for imagery purposes but should that be taken literally? Or is it just an exaggeration for flavor? I only ask for clarification because that's fairly intense. It seems that they could feasibly apply that level of force to others, outside of manipulating their own weight. If a PC can create a pocket with 1000x Standard Gravity in an instant, well, Everybody dies™ - Especially, with no range, or, any visible limits except requiring focus. This information is especially important when it comes to PVP purposes.

Please feel free to tag me if you need help, or, when you're ready for me to take another look. Thank you!

Srina Talon Srina Talon

That's very fair; the intent was never that they could simply squash any opposition in such a manner. Reduced it to a "hundredfold" to keep it somewhat more reasonable and it should be noted that A: They find it easier to alter their own gravity than that of others and B: That was an experimental test subject who completely lost control - in effect, his abilities folded back on himself, overloaded, and made him die spectacularly.

It should also be noted that Phaselings aren't "born" with control, impressive feats are really no easier to learn than a Jedi or Sith's Force Abilities. I imagine it would be harder to alter gravity (or anything else, really) the further away it is, see the line "...with altering their own weight being particularly easy.". The larger the area, the greater the difficulty also seems a natural assumption.

As for the requirement for focus, that's par for the course with many such abilities - the difference is that if a Sith loses focus while using Force Crush it'll likely end harmlessly, while a Phaseling screwing with reality could find themselves seriously hurt by the forces at play.

As always, calling hits is a big no, and going all "I nuke your immediate area" is almost as bad.

If there's anything else you would like me to change or clarify, let me know and I'll get to it right away!

AMCO AMCO

That's definitely a step in the right direction, though, even a hundred is a lot. It doesn't take much before bones start to break like crackers. You are not obligated to put any specific number there. In fact - I would likely discourage hard numbers.

The info in your response does clear up some of the issues, however, all of these things need to be entered on the submission itself for the sake of clarity and transparency. Members on the board typically won't read the reply chain for clarification. They'll look at the sub. The standard of requiring "focus" for a weakness can certainly be used, but with an ability that allowed them to potentially generate so much force in an instant? It wasn't enough. We don't normally judge for balance--But that was breaching into the category of a superweapon.

Keep in mind that I would never assume that to be the intent - Not to worry, It's just something we need to fix.

Go ahead and add what you told me, or, clear up the language in the submission itself to make the points you made clear.

Srina Talon Srina Talon

Yes, I tried to avoid hard numbers overall - I believe that's the only example, and it's a self-contained accident, not regular use. Reformulated to make it seem less exploitable: "... at least one test subject met his demise when the gravity field he was manipulating collapsed in on itself, crushing him into a sphere the size of a marble in an instant."

Tinkered a bit with the phrasing and added a new weakness, here are the changes:
  • ("... this might transpire entirely differently from person to person." to "... it is likely to transpire entirely differently from person to person.". Unrelated, liked this phrasing better, but feel like I should mention any changes so you don't have to go through it all again.)
  • Added a whole new weakness because I couldn't figure out how to make it fit anywhere else: "Practice makes Perfect: While their abilities might be "inborn", the skill required to control them is not - expect the learning curve to be roughly equivalent to that of your average Force User, except with a significantly higher risk of imploding."
  • Added a little disclaimer at the end, because why not: "NB! As always, nothing in this submission is an excuse for calling hits or the like. Don't do it. Seriously."
I think that should about cover it, what with "doing more is unsurprisingly harder" being too obvious to have to write, IIRC, but if you disagree I'll see about putting it somewhere - I've tried to keep it intentionally vague. Oh, and sorry if I missed anything - if something still needs correcting, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom