Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Passive Hex Gains

This concept has come up a couple of times before.

Not a big fan of writing walls of texts for suggestions so:

• No more dominions.
  • 3 hexes gained each month passively. Faction staff simply submit the hexes in the map thread updates each month.

My belief is that the removal of dominions will lead to more wholesome and interesting content in regards to stories and plots. Because let's be real - most dominions are usually rushed up "stories" that, in my opinion, aren't exactly enjoyable.

The argument that "you don't have to stop at 50 posts" isn't valid. Most dominions, if not all, cease their activity the moment it hits 50 posts or less. Thread gets submitted and bye bye, onto the next one. Call it behavior or whatever, it is what it is. I am guilty, too.

Smells like communism. I think if you feel this way, you should just stop doing doms for a long while - sounds like you've seen nothing but them and you just fulfill that gap.

But you'd be okay with a small faction of five putting in none of the work, getting the same amount of gains of a large faction that hustles?

Ra Vizsla Ra Vizsla

AoC Does dom now (because otherwise their capital would be able to be invaded and them pushed minor for 60 days as of Satyrday)

I don't think Doms should die completely, but I do think maybe a change could be used to make them a little less monotonous. It was discussed earlier in a few suggestions and I know staff is talking about them given this Blog Post.

Ra Vizsla Ra Vizsla

Oh I agree they were cruising along pretty well, but that rule landed and they have to gain hexes or run the risk of being torn off the map now. Personally Idc if anyone gets torn off the map, but I can understand the dislike of losing one invasion and thus being gone for 2 months.

So now they obviously feel like they have to do Dominions like everybody else.

A smart man would wager they're just buffering enough hexes until they could suffer a loss and not get a 60 day penalty to recupe, lol.

There is no rule that says you HAVE to do dominions. That's what they understood and why I utilized their example. It is smart to do doms, because territory in the history of never has been given for free, but you don't have to.

Like it or not, people like structure, and Dominions are one of the foundations of it.

It's a rare stance for me, because I hate rules.

...but I don't think the argument will ever be "should we get rid of Doms." That's a fool's errand, imo. I think the argument should always be "what can we do BESIDES doms."

This might sound like beating a dead horse, but I think that Mandates provide an ample solution to this perceived issue.

Currently, Crusaders, Droid Army, and Defensive Stronghold have defunct "strengths" in regards to Requesting Aid slots (something which is still "temporarily" suspended, as far as I can tell).

Why not replace one of those with a Mandate which allows passive hex gain?

Technically, Burn Out Special and Manifest Destiny do have passive Hex gain, but at the heavy costs of either launching invasions as a requirement, or completing three consecutive dominions in the same month. They only gain one extra hex each month so long as they complete these challenges. So obviously the weakness of such a mandate would need an equally extraordinary "weakness", in order to fit in with the currently existing mandates. Or, alternatively, the above existing Mandates could simply be buffed, so as to be competitive over a Mandate that allows passive hex gain.

I'm not sure if it's a realistic idea but here is my submission to the conversation:

AGGRESSIVE NEGOTIATION
Strength: This Major Faction may claim one adjacent unclaimed hex each month, provided they launch or receive at least one Diplomacy Thread with another faction.​
Weakness: This Major Faction may not launch dominions​
I kept the passive hex gain to one per month, but I considered briefly tying the number of passive hexes gained to the number or size of Diplomacy Threads to a max of three, but I felt that this wasn't in keeping with the precedents set by Burn Out Special and Manifest Destiny.

Also tbh, I feel like more Mandates should play with Diplomacy. We already get a lot of representation for Dominions, Invasions, and even Rebellions to a certain extent, but there is almost nothing playing around with Diplomacy. I think this would be a cool first step.

Maybe just let factions replace dominions with whatever amount of faction threads could equate the worth of a dominion thread? As an option, I mean. There's always going to be people who prefer dominions (the style of thread, prefix notwithstanding) over something else.

Dominions always feel like forced RP to me. They aren't much fun. I think a passive slow growth wouldn't be a bad thing, but I would suggest something slightly different.

• Passive: Each faction gains one (1) hex per month.
  • Active (Optional): Each faction may additionally do two dominions using current rules to gain an additional 2 hexes per month.
  • Active - SSD (Optional): To gain a SSD a faction may choose to forgo the passive gain and complete three dominions per month.

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
puts on boomer hat for a moment and waves his cane from sitting on the front porch

Kids these days... wanting all the nice things in life without actually having to work hard to get it...

In all seriousness... if you want territory gains then do Doms... if you’re tired of doms take a break. Cusz if you want passive doms... eventually someone is gonna ask for passive other free stuff...

In my opinion if you unhook the map gain from grind fest mentality that will let factions focus on their stories more. We removed the grind mentality from the factory by removing the dev threads and I think that was one of the best decisions ever done. I do agree with the argument that no one's forcing you to do dominions though but I stand by my observation that a majority of the dominions are essentially sugar-coated shitposting.

But you'd be okay with a small faction of five putting in none of the work, getting the same amount of gains of a large faction that hustles?

If both factions are meeting major activity requirements, why is this a problem? What does it matter if a faction does three 50 post dominions versus a 150 post faction thread?

...but I don't think the argument will ever be "should we get rid of Doms." That's a fool's errand, imo. I think the argument should always be "what can we do BESIDES doms."

That's a good perspective in theory. As a practical matter, dominions inevitably become the primary purpose of any faction looking to expand. Faction threads are reduced to 'optional' content that writers are encouraged to post to in between doms. Running a faction thread at the end of the month? Sorry the next month's dominion takes priority. This leads to faction staffs asking interesting internal questions like 'is the effort and focus of an invasion really worth not building more sandcastles for this month?'.

You can argue that this is an unhealthy mentality to have and if writers don't want to do doms they shouldn't do doms, but as you said 'people like structure'.

Eventually, people will just ask Staff to just start posting for them.

ok boomer.

It is very disingenuous to reduce this suggestion to 'stupid kids just want free stuff'. If a faction meets the activity requirements laid down by site staff, they deserve to be on the map. I'm not sure what makes dominions inherently more valuable content in your mind over faction threads. Nothing about this change would prevent major factions from continuing to write 'dominion' threads just as they always have, so let's just appreciate the irony here for a moment while you argue against freedom of choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom