OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: A dangerous prisoner force for Vran’Ti
- Image Credit: night-gaunt-statue
- Canon: No
- Permissions: n/a
- Links: vranti, Vran, Shgurak
- Name: Osor (singular), osorae (plural)
- Designation: Sentient
- Origins: Slaves or prisoners who were biologically altered for the purposes of combat.
- Average Lifespan: 80-140 (If not killed)
- Population: Planetary
- Description: The Osiors have been described like demons by otherworlders much like Devrons have a poor reputation for, however those local to Vran’Ti will recognize that they bear a combination of human and Shgurak characteristics. They are large scaled semi-humanoid beings with wings, tails, and claws, and sometimes horns, or spikes.
- Breathes: Type 1 (can hold breath for extended time, and handle more smoke then most lungs)
- Average Height of Adults: 2.5-3.5 meters (Not including tail)
- Average Length of Adults: N/A
- Skin color: Scales can be almost any color.
- Hair color: None
- Distinctions: Osorae are a large, scaled, and often upsetting species to look at. This is because they were typically once very much humanoid. They possess a mixture of traits between common Vran and the Vran’Ti Sky dragons, a Shgurak. They have claws, durable scales, firebreath, greater lung capacity, and considerable strength and speed, but are still looked down upon. It can sometimes be a bit difficult to determine the difference between males and females depending on what they were before. Though they do often maintain at least a vague similarity to their sex before they were altered.
- Races: None
- Force Sensitivity: Rare
- Very resistant to heat and fire much like Shguraks. They are still threatened by prolonged forging level heat. And resistance to heat does not mean they are able to obtain oxygen any easier during these conditions.
- Typically common intelligence, depending on what they were before.
- Durable scales can handle most handheld weapons, but thermal detonators, rockets launchers, and cannons, all pose serious threats. While somewhat more likely to survive an indirect hit than an average humanoid, they are still vulnerable to them.
- Lightsabers can sometimes be deflected but powerful enough strikes, or repeated hits, will get through.
- Able to spit fire up to 6 meters and hold their breath longer while shutting their nostrils to prevent liquids or gases getting in or out.
- Incredible strength: Being of large size and designed for combat they possess incredible strength, able to stand up to Gundarks and rip limbs off most species with relative ease
- Claws: Their lower limbs have three fingered claws with two in front one in rear operating as a thumb of sorts, which are large, fairly, and very durable, while their hands possess five clawed hands which possess less durability and strength but are still incredibly sharp.
- Winged: The Osorae have two wings which allow them the ability of limited flight, though they can tire out of use for more than an hour of flight with altering speeds, but they are capable of gliding. These wings can also be used to potentially off light enemies or protect their eyes or allies from some weaponry.
- Dexterous tail: Almost all Osorae possess a long serpent like tail which is mobile and can grip and hit things.
- Powerful jaws that can snap bones easily.
- Very hard to find any kind of armor for
- Bigger targets due to both generally being large beings, and having flight capable wings, and tails.
- Unlike actual Shgurak’s, the scales they have do not necessarily provide much camouflage, and is sometimes based more on chance or hair color than it is actual usefulness. Grey however seems a common aspect for some reason.
- Difficulty with speech: Due to the unusual jaws they have they have considerable issues speaking galactic basic, let alone Shrak (the language of the Vran) as it involves almost every bit of mouth and throat to communicate. Requiring many to use an even more basic, or take incredible time finding words or ways to pronounce anything. Many have to rely on telepaths or translators to communicate outside of each other.
- Cold: Due to their changes to be similar to Shguraks, they also became more vulnerable to cold and have trouble handling very cold temperatures. And can even be forced into a type of sleep with cold enough temperatures for long. This makes any moment in space without a thermally protective suit extremely dangerous as they could lose consciousness. That is if they even found a suit at all.
- A sign of inferiority: Every known member of the Osorae are only of the race because they were formerly slaves prisoners with lifelong sentences, or penalty of death itself. As a result any who would become an Osor have already had their Vo removed if they had one at all. This species, in spite of its considerable physical abilities, is looked down upon due to their crimes and possesses no autonomy of their own.
- Inferior fingers: The dexterity of an Osoraes fingers are inferior to normal. And as a result they have difficulty using most communicators, computers, and even some blasters or slughtrowers.
- Diet: Semi-omnivore: Technically the new body can digest vegetation. However it mostly prefers meats of mammals or fish. Many Osorae have discovered they no longer have a normal sense of taste and things that once tasted awful no longer do, while things that were once enjoyable no longer are. Raw meat is now a more potential feeding source among them.
- Communication: Most attempt to speak using an extremely basic form of Shrak which is the local language of Vran’Ti. However this is often very guttural and involves simply a combination of simple sounds. They may understand basic or Shrak, but others have considerable trouble understanding them without experience, a translator with their common language, or a telepath. Not all of them use the same form.
- Technology level: Osorae are only permitted limited levels of technology, as they are slaves prisoners. They may receive top of the line medical treatment, but are almost never given any kind of communicator or properly equipped blaster. They are however typically provided better lives, when outside of war, as compared to other slaves life long prisoners.
- Religion/Beliefs: Due to the fact in order to have ended up a slave life sentenced prisoner they would likely not believe in the religion of Vran’Ti. There could be any number of belief systems among them. One commonality is that they all agreed to obey the Vran’Ti authorities, Vo Ni. When Vran’Ti was a part of the Eternal Empire they were promised that if they did well enough they may eventually be released from their sentence and potentially altered to at least appear humanoid again. This was mostly to avoid accusations of slavery.
- General behavior: [ Describe general behaviors such as: family life, values, how they raise their young, how they find mates, how they interact with the world and other species around them. Do they hunt? Do they build? Are they inventors? Are they explorers? Are they nocturnal or diurnal? Do they attend schools? Etc, etc. ]
- There aren’t exactly families among the Osorae. They are typically not allowed to formulate many long term relationships. It would be a rare discovery to find out that two had. However it is not unheard of that Osorae begin forming types of group mentalities with small groups of one another, and will protect with aggression. Many Osorae show problems of aggression, due to the often life-long sentences and military applications they are required to do, even with its benefits. As a result there are almost no cases that an Osorae is in a completely stable state of mind. There are a select few who remain fully aware and can maintain calm, and these often become the leaders of sorts.
The Osorae were originally started in 740 ABY as a species. There have been biologically altered slave species on Vran’ti before this time, however the Osorae were the only officially formed slave military group. They were mainly created to have disposable, but intelligent, soldiers. As merely being Semi-sentient was not sufficient for the Vran species to accept, and they had enough slaves to support such a venture. It took a few trials and difficulty with the Shguraks to properly obtain enough data, but eventually the Osorae were made. A dangerous, often brutal, slave race. They were intentionally made to stand out and not speak properly, further enforcing that they were not members of the Ven who were shapeshifters as they wouldn’t allow themselves such barbaric appearances and voices most of the time. They resemble Shguraks both because they gave them abilities, and to show that they were no longer considered to have souls. And so sending them into battle to die was perfectly acceptable. Although incredibly rare there has been at least one recorded occurrence of a force sensitive Osorae who, in spite of having his Vo removed, was able to speak to the minds of people for miles around.
When Vran’Ti ended up inside of Eternal Empire territory, it was recognized that laws against slavery were made. However since all slaves had already committed crimes that they considered to have life sentences, the Osorae were simply made out to be warrior prisoners. No longer being called slaves, although perhaps they were not treated any differently. But were told, officially speaking, that if they performed their duties well enough they could potentially have their sentences removed and be freed and potentially made like an actual humanoid again. So far no one has heard of an individual born into the race, nor if the race can breed at all. It is considered possible, but unlikely.
Most times the Osorae are used in battle they’re either as air support for a Vo Ni riding a Shgurak, or in rush attacks during the night by invading from the sky before the enemy realizes they are their. Sometimes they are armed with flamethrowers as, though they can spit fire, they have a limited range and amount they can spit, but since they are so tolerant of it they can invade an enemy settlement covering themselves and the entire place in fire.