Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private No Money, No Parts, No Deal!

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

tumblr_pc0e7cUYVg1tovmb9o2_400.gifv

Equipment: Jedi Desert Robes, Jax's Prosthetic Arm, Jax's Second Lightsaber, Promise Ring to Jairdain, Eyepatch
Tag: Valery Noble Valery Noble

OIP.OJeq37hzfu2t48ZeT2so-AHaDN

"Ah chit.

The shifter on Jax's Pod broke again, cheap piece of junk kept dangling from his cockpit for what felt like the hundredth time. Ripping the part next to the computer, Jax squinted at the piece. "What the fuck?" Jax moaned tossing the shifter inside the cockpit. "This is an older model!"

It was little wonder why Jax had problems shifting into gear whenever he prepared to accelerate, the shifter was outdated and didn't mesh well with the other newer parts. BB-12 was the one who bought and installed the shifter. That damn droid spent Jax's hard earned credits to his gluttonous lifestyle while acting like a miser when It comes to buying Jax things. "Remember he gave me a pair of a used gym socks for my Birthday." Jax grumbled to himself.

He heard a loud noise as his Pod started to shut down his Pods began to shudder before landing on the ground with one big thump. "Battery," Jax shook his head. "I'm going to buy the parts myself then, I need to make sure they're the most recent ones."

Reaching in inside the left Pod, Jax saw the battery malfunctioning the lights underneath the pod continued to flicker rapidly. "All right," Jax muttered beginning to zap the battery with some Force Lightning. As soon as he did so the Pod began to reactivate floating off the ground again. "Nice," Jax smiled. "Let's give you more juice."

Jax then inserted more Force Lightning onto the battery to make sure it has more power.

n0m34qi.png
Valery: Appearance
Outfit: Factory Link
Lightsabers: Link!
Tag: Jax Thio Jax Thio
"Using the Force to power a battery?"
Valery asked as she made her way over to the Jedi she had heard cussing at his podracer. Valery herself enjoyed going for rides on speeder bikes but she had never really tried podracing — other things kept her too busy to focus on something like racing. The thrill of traveling at such high speeds was very tempting to her, though.
"Not the best example to give to younger Jedi, and the swearing probably isn't either." She smirked a little, burying the message she was trying to convey under a more teasing layer.
She then began to move around the podracer a little to take a closer look. Some components she recognized, but a lot of it looked alien to her — technology had never been a strong suit of the woman.
"Are you looking to upgrade it for an upcoming race? Or just spending your downtime on it for some fun?"
n0m34qi.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

Equipment: Jedi Desert Robes, Jax's Prosthetic Arm, Jax's Second Lightsaber, Promise Ring to Jairdain, Eyepatch

Jax smirked upon hearing the woman say that powering the Force wasn't exactly the best way to teach the younger generation. "The Force is a great ally," he said trying to tie some wires together. "Whether it's through fighting evil or repairing a racer, I like to keep maintain my connection to the Force as sharp as possible. There's nothing wrong with using the Force for the little things. The Force breaths sentience inside all of us and with its energy creates the dichotomy as us. Their flaws, their strengths, our creativity.

He raked his forehead which was wet with sweat, Jax was loose with how he used the Force, but it was better to use it whenever he got the opportunity. "I see no reason why we can't use the Force on things like this." He shrugged. "The Force is our ally why not use it for when we need help."

Turning around, Jax frowned a bit at the woman. She looked familiar with her bright, yellow eyes and tight purple suit. "Are you...." Jax got up wiping his hand. "Jedi Master Valery Noble? The person who won the Skywalker Order of Merit at Anthrope?"

The Jedi Master chuckled. "Heard a lot about you Master Valery," Jax said. "Does the name Lossa Darcuhl Lossa Darcuhl ring any bells?"

Jax shook his head memories of running around with Lossa flooding his mind. "I've ran into her on Denon," he said smiling. "Let's just say the girl has a quite the wild side. Wild and mischievous."

He also came to Ossus to take Lossa on as another Padawan. A girl like Lossa while talented and is capable of thinking outside of the box, needs direction. "Name's Jax Thio," he said pulling out his hand for her to shake. "Jedi Master of the Galactic Alliance and I'm here to host the upcoming Ossus Podracing event to celebrate Romi Jade Romi Jade reforming the Enclave here after its destruction in Jakku."

n0m34qi.png
Valery smiled in return, "The Force is an ally, but there is such a thing as using it too much or using it as a crutch. When we start using it for mundane tasks to make our lives easier, we're not being the selfless Jedi anymore that we've sworn to be. Or well, that's the more traditional view anyway."
"I've seen plenty Jedi with differing views."
As he then turned to face her, she moved on from the topic as well and dipped her head when he recognized her, "That would be me." she said with a smile that betrayed her feelings about the war achievements being used in her recognition. It was always an odd thing to her. But when he mentioned the name of a rather interesting Zeltron Padawan afterward, she began to smirk again.
"I've met her, and I agree that she's quite a handful. But her heart is in the right place. With some proper guidance, I'm sure she'll be a fine Jedi."
Valery's smile continued and now, she reached for his hand to shake it. "A pleasure to finally meet you, Master Thio. We probably should have some time ago, but I suppose we've both just been busy." She looked at the podracer and dipped her head when he explained its purpose.
"Are you going to be racing yourself? Or just handling some maintenance for it?"
n0m34qi.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

Equipment: Jedi Desert Robes, Jax's Prosthetic Arm, Jax's Second Lightsaber, Promise Ring to Jairdain

"I don't think there's anyone who's a bigger advocate of relying on your instincts than I am," Jax chuckled at Valery. "But if you have no other options than why not use the Force? It is not selfless to utilize it to assist in our needs especially with Podracing which is a dangerous sport even for veterans like myself." He looked at the repaired Pod. "I gotta make sure that I'm as safe as possible."

The Jedi Master nodded when Valery agreed that Lossa needed some more direction. "I'm going to be honest," Jax said. "I'm having some serious thoughts on taking on another apprentice. I have one training under me at the moment, but.... I feel that a connection to Lossa. It's as though the Force is telling me to train her. Based on my observations on Denon, she'll need all the help she can get."

If Lossa would have him of course, at the end of the day it was her choice. However, with the Force there was no such thing as coincidences and he was certain that their meeting at Denon was fated. "I'm actually hosting the event on Ossus," Jax answered continuing to look over his Podracer. "And racing in it. I'm recently building a stadium a few miles north. Construction is slow but it should be done by the time the event starts."

He looked at Valery smiling. "So, you are participating in the festivities?" He asked.

n0m34qi.png
"I can certainly recommend training a second Padawan," Valery said with a warm smile.
"I'm currently training two, and aside from the rewarding feeling it gives to train them, I think they benefit from it as well. They have someone around their own age who they can talk to and practice with. And when I'm not around, it's just another support pillar for them — they have a friend." she said.
"Or well, they tend to become close friends. So if you feel that connection forming with Lossa, my advice would be to at least talk to her about it."
Valery offered another smile but remained quiet when he talked about the upcoming podracing event and his participation in it. Looking at his racer, she smirked and nodded.
"Seems like you got a bit of work ahead of you, then. As for me, I will participate but it's going to be my first race. I've driven speeders and other high-speed vehicles all my life, but racing with them is new to me." It was part of her more traditional upbringing — it didn't really have a focus on competition in that way.
"I'm looking forward to it though."
n0m34qi.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

Equipment: Jedi Desert Robes, Jax's Prosthetic Arm, Jax's Second Lightsaber, Promise Ring to Jairdain

Jax wasn't sure about training second Padawan given that he failed with his first one in Aveline Cuiléin Aveline Cuiléin . Even it's been years since Korriban, Jax was still haunted by the event. Every night, Jax thought about how he nearly killed his Padawan in that fateful battle. He kept thinking that he put it behind him but no matter how many Force meditations he did and how much progress he made in getting his life in order, that emotional scar still ached. Still, with the success with training Madison Starr his first Padawan in years, the itch to teach began to resurface stronger than ever.

"That's the thing Valery," Jax said. "I'm often reminded of the first Padawan I've trained her name is Aveline....."

The Jedi Master gripped edge of his Pod with his prosthetic arm nearly causing it to bend. "Let's just say that I've failed her," he said with bitterness in his voice. "It's funny though, I have another Padawan that I'm currently teaching: Madison Starr. Through her, things have been going well but just when I though I've taken the next step and come to terms with every that happened....."

Jax immediately stood up shaking his head. "It just resurfaces, voices in my head reminding me of failure." he said his voice distant. "I'm trying to drown it out, and I think I'm doing a good job of doing it thanks in no part of Madison's willingness to learn. But every time there's doubt within me preventing me from crossing that finish line."

Could he give it his all to Lossa Darcuhl Lossa Darcuhl ? Madison? As much as he wanted to teach again, did Jax truly learn from his failures from Aveline? Jax thought he did but every now and then there was a tiny, niggling doubt that lingered. "But good," Jax said forcing a smile. "Podracing isn't like Swoop biking, with Podracing, the training wheels are off and you're zipping through racetracks at speeds that can go up 1,000 miles an hour."

The Jedi looked at the arena ahead. "I can show you the track," he said. "As well as explain the rules to ya if you like?"

n0m34qi.png
She remained quiet while Jax explained why he was hesitant about training a second Padawan, and it was a feeling she could heavily relate to. A long time ago, one of her own Padawans was killed while they were with her on a mission, and she felt the same way. That it had been her failure, and much like Jax, it almost crippled her from wanting to train more students. Years after that incident, a new Padawan she was training fell to the Dark Side, and it had been Valery herself who took them down, which only made her struggle even more,
"I understand the way you feel, Jax. I've been through similar experiences and there is no quick and easy way to get through it. Meditation can help a little, and having friends around you makes a difference, but more often than not you need time." Valery said before she listened and nodded with a gentle smile.
"I got through it largely because I was able to successfully train a Padawan — it gave me the confidence again to keep training more. I hope that Madison can help you in a similar way and judging by the way you talk about her, it seems that is going in a good direction."
The conversation then shifted back to podracing, and Valery grinned a bit. The idea of it sounded quite exciting, and she had the driving experience to at least be half-decent. "I'd love to see the track, and any rules or tips you have for me are welcomed." She said with an appreciative nod of her head.
n0m34qi.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

Jax nodded when Valery said that she had similar experiences to him. "I guess," Jax said covering his Podracer with a large sheet. "But the question is how much longer do I need?" Jax asked. "At some point I have to look inside myself and say it's time to move on. I've saying this over and over again only to find out that the wound is this fresh."

The memory wouldn't go away, it refused to. No matter how much Jax meditated on it or trained Padawans, what happened to Aveline would always resurface. Preying on his doubts and fears and intensifying them to the point where he was crippled. "We'll have to see," Jax breathed. "Come on Valery let me show you the stadium."

After about a half an hours walk, the two arrived at the Podracing stadium. A simple looking racetrack but with some bumps and sharp turns to keep the audience at the edge of their seat. Construction was still being done on the stadium with many Droids and people continuing to put the final touches on the track.

MKW_Waluigi_Stadium_Preview.gif

"Here we are," Jax said entering the dirt track breathing in the air and smiling. "Taste that air Valery!" The Jedi Master chuckled. "You know what that smells like?"

He began to sneeze coughing in the process. "Mostly Turbine fuel," he said. "But this is the track, I've designed it myself and I've been overlooking the construction! It's been tough getting funding though, the Ratts Tyrell Foundation has given the Jedi hell ever since I've made the announcement."

The Ratts Tyrell Foundation had threatened to slash the Jedi Praxeum funding making negotiations with them equivalent to navigating a landmine. Given that the GA was at currently at war, it wouldn't be a good look if the Foundation went through with their threats. So Jax managed to secure funding while creating a track that was safe Podracers in an effort to appease the Super PAC.

"So what do you think?" He said leaning against the wall. "It's your first time Podracing right? What do you wanna know specifically about the sport?"

n0m34qi.png
"The memories of what happened may never fade — they haven't for me either," Valery said as she watched him cover up his podracer so they could get going. Even now, many years after she lost Padawans, nightmares about those events still came back to haunt her. Not as frequently anymore, but they were still there.
"Knowing when enough time has passed or when you're ready can be very difficult, but I have trust that you'll get through. Hopefully, with Madison's training going so well, things will change for the better." She offered a more comforting smile but decided it was best to move on from the topic as well.
Talking about podracing and taking a look at the track would be a lot more fun.
When they finally arrived after about half an hour, Jax could see the fire in the woman's eyes light up. The sharp turns, the long straights for pure acceleration... it was quite exciting to her. She then drew in a deep breath through her nose and chuckled at the comment he made.
"Well right now, it smells like construction." she had a bit of a smug look on her face and looked around as he explained more about his role in the stadium's construction.
"It's my first time racing, yes. But I've taken control of all kinds of vehicles and I'd be lying if I told you that I haven't gone hard on the throttle a few times." Another grin. "As for rules, anything about overtaking? I know some racing sports have very strict rules about how to do it properly."
"Or perhaps there are other crucial things to keep in mind? Any tips you have are welcomed."
n0m34qi.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

"Glad to see you joining a sport for adults," Jax chuckled at Valery. "All those speeders you've ridden before ain't nothing compared to the thrill of Podracing. I know tried every single vehicle ranging from Speeders to Swoop Bikes. When you're racing in a Pod, it's just you trapped in a tiny area relying on nothing more than instinct as your Pod travels at 400 miles per hour."

The Jedi Master ghoulishly giggled remembering the close calls he had during his Podracing career. "This track is for babies," Jax said shaking his head. "The Ratts Tyrell Foundation has been pressuring Master Romi Jade Romi Jade into cancelling the event, In response I've had to make some serious compromises when building this track but if you want a real track, go to Malastare, Aquaris, even old prison sectors located on Asteroids."

Hopefully Valery becomes a Podracer, Jax definitely needs more friends in the sport. Especially now it's on the upswing in terms of popularity. "All you need to know," Jax said. "Is that they're a certain amount of times that you can ram into an opponent. It's not practical but it's for intimidation, Podracing has underwent serious reforms though over the years due to criticisms for corruption and violence. Right now it's no more stricter than what you've been used to. Yet they're still interests groups hellbent on banning the sport."

n0m34qi.png
The more he talked about podracing, the more her excitement seemed to grow. The high speeds, the risky turns and competitive nature of the sport was quite thrilling. "Seems like it's risky, and Jedi probably do have an advantage with reaction speed when going that fast." Valery said with a slight grin, but one that faded when he mentioned that the track was for babies.
"That so?" she blinked and listened to his explanation, "Well, I can see why some people are against it — the sport does seem dangerous. But to ban it because people who willingly did it for their fun and excitement got into accidents... I don't think is the right way to address it either." she shrugged her shoulders and looked out over the track again.
Jax then went on to explain that there were rules about collissions with other racers, and Valery just nodded, "With the upcoming race being between Jedi and others on Ossus, I don't think there will be a lot of unnecessary violence. I'd definitely have a problem with it if Padawans were trying to kill each other on a racing track." she said with a small shake of her head.
"But I do look forward to giving it a shot. I don't have the time to be racing all the time, but perhaps from time to time, it could be fun. It might also be an opportunity for me to make some credits, which I can then donate to funding Temple rebuilding efforts or other important projects for the Jedi or Alliance."
n0m34qi.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

As much as Jax was annoyed with the Ratts Tyrell Foundation, they did bring up good points about Podracing rather seedy past. Many great Podracers had criminal pasts and the sport was accused of being rigged. Not to mention the high casualty rate with even the most seasoned of Podracers meeting their end. There has been a push to bring Podracing back into the forefront in recently but with many rules and regulations to make sure the races were safe. "Not many humans can effectively Podrace," Jax responded. "It's a sport that requires Jedi like reflexes to succeed."

There were also some pushback by non-human species about humans "intruding" on their sports. There had been a massive increase in human participation in Podracing. "Believe me Valery," Jax said. "Not many species are kind of us Podracing, can't tell ya how much bigotry I've had flung my way when I was racing."

He usually left those bigots in the dust though.

"The Padawans better not be killing each other on the track." Jax said as he began to walk through the race track. "What the fuck is this the damn Sith Academy? As I said we've had major reforms and we're continuing to add to it. Problem is the Foundation is not satisfied no matter how strict our ruleset is."

Jax shrugged. "It's just for us to rest and have fun while we're on break from the war." He said. "But I am looking to buy out Podracing Quarterly the magazine for everything Podracing. The winner of the Ossus Podrace will grace the cover of the latest of the Magazine. Who knows Valery? You could be famous well more famous than you actually are ya little war hero."

He chuckled. "So what kind of Pod are you entering?" He asked continuing to walk through the race track.

n0m34qi.png
Valery was visibly glad to hear that so much effort went into making this as safe as possible, especially for younger Jedi who could lose control over their excitement a little bit easier. Of course, there was still some risk, but it felt more manageable and hopefully, the podracing was going to be helpful for Jedi to get some relaxing in after returning from the war fronts.
"I'm glad you've put all this effort into it. Without bigotry and with some safety precautions, this can be quite an entertaining activity for Jedi," she said with a smile as she followed him along the track.
But when he referred to her as a War Hero, she rolled her eyes a little and chuckled, "I don't think I'll be winning any races, unless I have some beginner's luck on my side." Valery said with amusement audible in her tone. "The idea of being on the front of a magazine is a little strange as well, but I suppose we'll see what happens, hm?"
Her gaze then briefly shifted to the track again, as if she was examining it a little more closely, "What kind? I'm honestly not quite sure what my options are. I don't own a podracer, nor do I have the money to get one. I'll take whatever is available but I hope it's at least fast enough to give me a chance." she smirked.
"What kinds are there though?"
n0m34qi.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

"In my experience Valery," Jax chuckled. "There's no such as luck, only the Force." He remembered many Force Sensitive who came to the Jedi Temple mention that they've always "lucky" when in reality it was the Force guiding their actions.

"Can't get rid of a thousand years of bigotry," Jax said. "But you can at least punish it while also setting a concrete ruleset. Eventually we're going to expand, reopening classic tracks and maybe host some major events like Life Day. Hell, maybe we can make peace with the Mandalorian Union by hosting a Podracing event. Heard many Mandos participated in the Boonta Eve Classic in Tattooine. Could be a commonality for us to make peaceful relationships."

Podracing in a way had united races in the past especially during the rise of the Empire. Underground tournaments were held as spectators and racers used Podracing as a way to escape the bigotry and genocide of the Galactic Empire. It was the same thing happening here given the GA's war against the Brotherhood. "I'll tell you what Valery," Jax smiled. "Why not I build you a Podracer? I got some parts back at Courscant and I can whip you up a mean on just in time for the event. No cost Valery, just want as many people participating in the event as possible."

n0m34qi.png
She chuckled about his comment regarding luck and rolled her eyes but in an amused way, "Fine fine, but you know what I mean. I haven't exactly gotten the same practice as most others who will be participating. Or at least, I think that's the case. Maybe my other driving skills will translate over fairly well."
Valery then smiled at the hope in his voice as he talked about the future of podracing. He had big plans, he was committed and he was even thinking about using it as a bridge for diplomacy. As much as she had believed racing and spending too much time on competitions to be a waste of time, she was beginning to grow more fond of the idea.
Then he made her an offer that caused her to pause and blink — build her a podracer?
"That... is very kind of you." she smiled warmly. "If you have the spare parts and time, and you really don't mind, then I would appreciate that a lot. I'd offer my help but my engineering skills are... terrible," she smirked. "Just promise not to sabotage my racer, hm?" she chuckled — it was clearly a joke.
n0m34qi.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

"Just feel, don't think." Jax said looking out on the racetrack. "Apply the same principles you've learned from your training as a Jedi to Podracing and you'll be fine."

Podracing was also a great way to train a person's connection to the Force. To allow the person to fully trust it to guide their actions and clear their mind. Even though Jax wanted to win, he also wanted to practice becoming entuned with his surroundings while going 500 miles per hour. In Podracing, one false move would get you killed or worse. To trust your instincts, to let the Force dictate your actions and make quick decisions at breakneck speeds.

"It should," Jax said when Valery questioned if her swoop racing skills would translate. "Swoop bikes are like Podracers but for children, if you want to see how the magic is done then meet me at the Jedi Temple at Courscant."

The Jedi Master smiled. "I'll take ya to my garage and I can whip you up a mean Podracer."

"Well not as mean as mine," Jax thought mentally sighting. "So, what do you say?" He asked.

n0m34qi.png
Just feel, don't think.
Valery smiled a little at those words and nodded in understanding, "Should be an interesting training exercise, then." She had always been very in tune with the Force and her senses, so the idea of it all being put to the test in a podrace was interesting. It was likely a chance to learn something new as well, and regardless of how experienced she was, she always welcomed that.
"And since I do have some driving experience, I might just make it interesting to watch." she flashed her signature smirk and accepted his offer with a confident dip of her head.
"If you don't mind, I'll come with you to your garage and we'll work on it together. I might slow things down a little, but it's probably good for me to learn a few things. Just so I understand them better, and can make simple repairs in case of emergencies."
"So, Master Thio, feel free to lead the way."
n0m34qi.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

"So it's agreed then."

Jax gave Valery a friendly pat on the back. "I'll build a nice racer, something that you can handle." Jax closed his eye. "I can imagine it being a safe ride a pair of Radon Ulzers that can accelerate to average speeds of say.... 400 miles per hour."

The Jedi Master shrugged. "It'll be equipped with an ejection pod which means if your pods for whatever reason start to go haywire, a simple press of the button will have your pod detach from Pods. From there, you can control the Pod to a safe place for your pit crew."

Jax took one last look at the track that was being built. Hard to believe that the event will be happening in just a couple of weeks, it was good to have an escape from the war. The only thing bad about this besides the probable accidents was the fact that the Jedi will have to go back to the frontlines soon. "Come on Val," Jax said. "Let's get ourselves to Coruscant, I got a racer to build and not much time to do it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom