Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor Faction Minor Faction Survey

Hey there, folks.

Given the recent goings-on regarding minor factions and their activity, it's caught the attention of many writers within the community. A few of those writers, like Kitter Bitters Kitter Bitters and Bao Quayan Bao Quayan have shown a willingness to address it from a place of higher visibility, such as a minor faction directory or in a minor faction-specific map. Today, Bao and I discussed a community-driven map in-depth, and we've concluded that to make something like that happen, we need a better idea of what active minor factions are out there. So, without further ado, I present to you:

The Minor Faction Survey!

Those of you who run a minor faction, please fill out the survey. This is geared towards minor factions unaffiliated with major factions directly. No sub-factions, please. If you have any questions, concerns, or ideas, feel free to post them here.

Random stuff I'm throwing on the end for clarification:

Unique Writers: I'm using the definition from the Major Faction Rules located here.

Location: If your minor faction is located on multiple planets, please pick what you would consider the base of operations. If you are nomadic and do not have a base, just put something like N/A or nomadic, I suppose.

The "opt-in system" is still something Bao, and I are trying to figure out. We have some ideas, so I'm happy to answer any questions regarding them. The baseline is a directory and a potential map maintained by the community (Bao, I, and others if they're interested).

EDIT: If you already took it, you probably noticed the poorly written second question. Its been edited to account for my stupidity. Please feel free to go back and edit answers or something. Or don't, I'm following up via looking into the minors who took the survey.

Last edited:
I am confused. I’ve already made a survey for a directory. Is this just for a map?

I will continue to make a directory and if any minor faction wants to be in it I encourage them to post here. I also plan on doing minor faction timeline updates with Holly as a news outlet.

I fully do think we need more visibility for minor factions and I’m so glad to see people coming up with ideas on how to do that. Please do not derail this thread from its purpose because of my statement. Answer the survey. Build the map. Be awesome and may the Force be with you.

Last edited:
I’d just like to point out I’m happy to organize a directory but I am in no way involved in the map and do not wish to be.

I created this thread to discuss creating a map for minor factions. After some back and forth I agreed with other posters that a directory would be the way to go. I do not think a minor map is a good idea after the discussions had and while I fully encourage those that want it to make it, I personally wish not to be a part of it.

I will continue to make a directory and if any minor faction wants to be in it I encourage them to post here. I also plan on doing minor faction timeline updates with Holly as a news outlet.

I fully do think we need more visibility for minor factions and I’m so glad to see people coming up with ideas on how to do that. Please do not derail this thread from its purpose because of my statement. Answer the survey. Build the map. Be awesome and may the Force be with you.

I was hoping to work with you for a directory if needed.

My plan was to take all the results here, put them into a spreadsheet, make it visible to the community, and keep it updated with the help of other members of the community. If you aren't interested in a map, by our powers combined, we can still make the best-darned directory there is.

I was hoping to work with you for a directory if needed.

My plan was to take all the results here, put them into a spreadsheet, make it visible to the community, and keep it updated with the help of other members of the community. If you aren't interested in a map, by our powers combined, we can still make the best-darned directory there is.

Honestly I’m horrid with graphics. I don’t see how I could be much help with a map and I still worry it’s infringing on major territory or might get confusing.

A directory I personally think is a better route and easier to maintain. If you want to take that project over I can hand you the keys, I just wish someone would have asked me before you made an entire second survey.

All I want in life is to know which minor factions are active. I always ask to join the ones who aren’t

Last edited:
Honestly I’m horrid with graphics. I don’t see how I could be much help with a map and I still worry it’s infringing on major territory or might get confusing.

A directory I personally think is a better route and easier to maintain. If you want to take that project over I can hand you the keys.

All I want in life is to know which minor factions are active. I always ask to join the ones who aren’t

I wouldn't want you to feel ousted from an idea you've now pioneered. If you're willing to let Bao Quayan Bao Quayan and I do it, that's fine, but I see no reason you couldn't have a hand in helping keep a directory updated with us.

A directory I personally think is a better route and easier to maintain. If you want to take that project over I can hand you the keys.

We're fine doing the map, Errant is asking if you two would like to work together to make a directory listing of the Minor Factions together. I'm the only one right now designated for the map

I wouldn't want you to feel ousted from an idea you've now pioneered. If you're willing to let Bao Quayan Bao Quayan and I do it, that's fine, but I see no reason you couldn't have a hand in helping keep a directory updated with us.

I don’t mind letting you guys take over. I was telling Bao also that there is a minor faction called Independent Galactic News and they had wanted to have representatives in all factions and try to be neutral. This might be a fun way to boost their activity if they are interested.

...... So you're trying to unofficially start a map game for minor factions? As great of an idea as that is in theory I've got to say that this is a bad idea.

Major factions have already shown the map game is something that is used for clout, gets super stressful and otherwise dictates to other people what can and cannot happen. People sit for hours upon days literally talking about and figuring out "how to win the map game". It's why I refuse to actually try to contribute to it anymore, with most Dominions I've seen either being rinse and repeat or otherwise prewritten stories that don't give writers a chance to stretch their legs and see what their characters can do, and invasions.... don't get me started. Invasions are stressful salt fests where the objective isn't collaboration or having fun it's taking your agenda, shoving it down the opponent's throat and doing so while using the nicest wording possible. Invasions aren't collaborative because someone HAS TO LOSE and we've all seen how most factions have reacted to losing in each invasion in turn. It sucks. People hate losing. And some hate it so much they'd rather try and undercut the other faction for points on an imaginary scoreboard than actually try to write something fun with the other side. I've been in one invasion, out of the five or six that I've written in, where I had fun and even that got ruined because of the FOs meddling in my partner and I's actual story. So much so that I left the faction discord that I was helping and have sworn off involving myself in invasions without being able to benefit story wise. And you want to spread that to minor factions? I've yet to see a positive to the map game other than a sticker Majors can sit there and hand out to people to make themselves feel better. I have actively avoided putting down roots with my Merc company because why restrict myself? And next thing you know Minor factions will start telling each other they can't be there. That this is "their turf". And before you know it, it'll devolve into the same exact thing that happens in Major faction land and tbh if you're gonna do the exact same stuff, why not do it on the map that is actually sanctioned and maintained by staff? You'll get sweaty salt fests between Minors trying to show they're the superior faction by owning the most space, by having the biggest spot, and then lording that over others to show how big and bad they are. Next thing I'll hear is that my mercenary company can't be in places because Minor such and such said so, or that my civilian company's tech is clearly subpar because they don't have a presence on the map.

My two credits is this in short. Don't ruin minor factions by making them the exact same thing in all but name to Major factions. I used to love PvP but writing here has soured it, and Major Factions aren't about having fun anymore. It's about keeping up with the Joneses, measuring egos and saying you're better because there's a metric that everyone can look at that literally means nothing.

This sounds really cool! It adds the same sense of significance majors get to minor factions and puts them on the map for more of the community to see, ideally. (pun intended)

The Monster The Monster
The map game can be very stressful and salt-inducing, that's true, and I'm sorry that your experience has been overwhelmingly negative, but they haven't yet talked about how their opt-in function would work or presented what differences and similarities the system would have to the majors map in an 'official' way. It's a little early to call it, we haven't even seen any of the logistics or data for this project yet.

...... So you're trying to unofficially start a map game for minor factions? As great of an idea as that is in theory I've got to say that this is a bad idea.

Major factions have already shown the map game is something that is used for clout, gets super stressful and otherwise dictates to other people what can and cannot happen. People sit for hours upon days literally talking about and figuring out "how to win the map game". It's why I refuse to actually try to contribute to it anymore, with most Dominions I've seen either being rinse and repeat or otherwise prewritten stories that don't give writers a chance to stretch their legs and see what their characters can do, and invasions.... don't get me started. Invasions are stressful salt fests where the objective isn't collaboration or having fun it's taking your agenda, shoving it down the opponent's throat and doing so while using the nicest wording possible. Invasions aren't collaborative because someone HAS TO LOSE and we've all seen how most factions have reacted to losing in each invasion in turn. It sucks. People hate losing. And some hate it so much they'd rather try and undercut the other faction for points on an imaginary scoreboard than actually try to write something fun with the other side. I've been in one invasion, out of the five or six that I've written in, where I had fun and even that got ruined because of the FOs meddling in my partner and I's actual story. So much so that I left the faction discord that I was helping and have sworn off involving myself in invasions without being able to benefit story wise. And you want to spread that to minor factions? I've yet to see a positive to the map game other than a sticker Majors can sit there and hand out to people to make themselves feel better. I have actively avoided putting down roots with my Merc company because why restrict myself? And next thing you know Minor factions will start telling each other they can't be there. That this is "their turf". And before you know it, it'll devolve into the same exact thing that happens in Major faction land and tbh if you're gonna do the exact same stuff, why not do it on the map that is actually sanctioned and maintained by staff? You'll get sweaty salt fests between Minors trying to show they're the superior faction by owning the most space, by having the biggest spot, and then lording that over others to show how big and bad they are. Next thing I'll hear is that my mercenary company can't be in places because Minor such and such said so, or that my civilian company's tech is clearly subpar because they don't have a presence on the map.

My two credits is this in short. Don't ruin minor factions by making them the exact same thing in all but name to Major factions. I used to love PvP but writing here has soured it, and Major Factions aren't about having fun anymore. It's about keeping up with the Joneses, measuring egos and saying you're better because there's a metric that everyone can look at that literally means nothing.

So, my first thought when reading this was to pull a Tefka Tefka and just shitpost you until you stopped responding. However, I went ahead and decided to dig a bit cause I was interested in you as a writer. Having taken a look at all your accounts, I realize this survey isn't geared to you at all. You don't write in minor factions. You write in CIS. This survey is for folks who run a minor faction and are interested in ways to increase their visibility. Knowing all that, I'm still gonna take a crack at this incredible take you've decided to share with me today and see how many love reactions I can get out of it.

Ahem.

"So you're trying to unofficially start a map game for minor factions? As great of an idea as that is in theory I've got to say that this is a bad idea."

No. If you read the post, which I'm sure you have given your well-thought-out opinion, you've surely realized we actually don't know in full what direction we want to go with this. A map is just one idea, as is a directory. These are two ways Chaos keeps major factions at the forefront of activity. Rank bars and flairs are other options, but I don't have any graphic skills and think that is an enormous undertaking that probably wouldn't be implemented. A minor map wouldn't be another excuse to spam dominions or invasions. Let me lay out how I think I'd like it used:

It be simplified. Instead of minor factions getting specific hexes and colors that distinguish them, I'd approach it with the idea of claimed and unclaimed territory. In the example below, you'll see GA and SJC territories. Let's say for argument's sake, this is actually the "minor map" as I envision it. We'll say the dark blue represents claimed territory and the light blue represents unclaimed territory. When a new user comes to the Minor Faction post I'd try and get Tefka to pin somewhere, they'd take a look at our homemade map and see "Wow, Alderaan is claimed but Commenor isn't? I'd love to write on Alderaan!" and go to a google spreadsheet or whatever I'm using as a directory, ctrl + f the word "Alderaan" and be able to see all the minor factions currently active on Alderaan.

unknown.png

Tefka's Map, circa 12:30 PM EST on February 2nd, 2021. Give me your goddamn map so we don't have to outsource.
Maybe minors would like to use this map as a means to do "map game" like activities, but that isn't something a community-driven project like this can moderate without the help of staff. And if you aren't already aware, Bao Quayan Bao Quayan and I are taking this on rather than pitching it to suggestions because we don't feel like this is something the staff needs to tackle solo.

Going back to my example above. If the folks on Alderaan are like "Wow, I sure want to own Balmorra" they can easily use the directory, reach out to the minor factions doing things on Balmorra, and link up to plan a narrative that sees them gaining Balmorra under their minor. However, cause there would be no invasion or judgment using this idea, it would be up to those minor factions to come to an agreement that makes them both happy. If they can't? Well, Alderaan minor and Balmorra minor can go their separate ways or tell another story instead.

This is all still in a planning period. We're trying to tackle things in a way that raises visibility and makes it easier for minor AND major factions to recognize and roleplay with minor factions. Maybe NIO or GA looks to dom a planet and they're having a hard time coming up with a non-cookiecutter story (though GA doms aren't cookiecutter and if you think so, you probably aren't reading them, #GAng) they can look into the minor directory, see if anyone is doing something on one of those planets, and reach out to those writers. It will momentarily bring that minor into the spotlight for an entire community of writers. Maybe folks will join them they think it's so cool. Maybe not.

All in all, just cause you're burned out, feel everything is a salt-fest, and can't see value in an idea doesn't mean it's bad or poorly thought out. Your experiences don't equate to everyone else's. And you know what they say about assumptions.

Have a great day.

giphy.gif

Hoo boy. This took some time to read, but honestly it seemed to be a continuous explanation of your first sentence. In short, this is not what we're doing. What we are doing is creating a directory of active minor factions in a visual format (a list is still going to be available to show the location of all minor factions in the same place). We don't do invasions here. The faction that goes up on the map are those that hold the most influence (members and activity). Again, we are not responsible for fights and clout.

Let me give you an example that fits the closest to an Invasion that coukd occur in relation to the map.

Firstly, once everything is set up, we will have a set of rules that the community as a whole of participation will agree on. You must play fair and cooperate, that is the whole point of this. To create cooperation and interaction. If you don't agree, you've no need to be here

Secondly, minor faction activity is checked by themselves, we don't concern ourselves with activity checks. If another faction with influence requests a hex currently occupied, it is up to the current owner to say 'hey, we' re still here'and if they don't within a certain time, they get replaced. However, if not, the two factions need to work together to come to a conclusion. They could choose to merge, split the hex, or combat each other in a Skirmish. This is not what we offer, however
- interjection - Technically, once a hex is claimed, only the owner can unclaim it or give it to someone else. Which is why a suggestion is made that two factions contesting a hex duke it out amongst themselves. We don't participate in rulings, the factions must come to a conclusion to answer. This is designed to open up story and writing, which they could agree to just continuously fight over the hex. However, if a member is exceedingly unruly and/or selfish, it means they aren't playing fairly.

-Result - if someone is not playing fairly, it means they have chosen not to follow the rules that everyone agrees to joining this, rules we will set up for community voting. Not my rules, our rules. Neither does this mean an owner is forced to give up their hex. What matters is how they behave with other factions ooc and if all parties felt the result was cordial. Our team will inspect this when we can, when we feel its needed. Our team is more than likely not permanent, by the by.

Thirdly, once a decision is reached by all parties contesting the hex, the decision will be reflected on the map.

This map game will only a max of 3-5 hexes, to show who is the most active, or to show local government. This breeds interaction and cooperation between members, other minor factions, and potentially major factions. An example I continue to give is, let's say you're a major faction, yeah? Oh, let's go take a peak at the Minor Faction Map, see if anyones in the next hex we're going to invasion or dominion. Oh, I like these fellows, how about we ask if they want to help us build a super dreadnought?

Anyone can glance at the map, and create ideas for roleplay. This is our purpose, not clout. If people get clout, that's fine. If they get selfish and rude, that's not fine.

This sounds really cool! It adds the same sense of significance majors get to minor factions and puts them on the map for more of the community to see, ideally. (pun intended)

The Monster The Monster
The map game can be very stressful and salt-inducing, that's true, and I'm sorry that your experience has been overwhelmingly negative, but they haven't yet talked about how their opt-in function would work or presented what differences and similarities the system would have to the majors map in an 'official' way. It's a little early to call it, we haven't even seen any of the logistics or data for this project yet.

Truthfully, my biggest peeve is the Major Faction Invasions. They become a priority for my writers, and we can't do our private roleplays, or the roleplays I made for my characters progression because they are preoccupied. Invasions become the priority, even if one Major does 1 invasion, that's 12 invasions, of which some of my writer friends have multiple characters in different major factions. It can stress and exhaust them. This Minor Faction Map Game will not be part of fights. If any fights occur, it's solely up to the Minor Factions to dish them out and to come to conclusions. And besides, if your Minor Faction loses its influence sphere, just go take another planet. It's not like you're defeated and anuffed out of existence.

Errant Errant Firstly and foremost I write a mercenary. Says so in the tag. Only reason I've been with the CIS so long is because I've yet to be provided with a compelling reason to leave. I've looked around and tried other places, and the short answer was no. And the only reason I haven't made the group I write as a Minor Faction as when I've brought it up before, nobody seemed interested so why bother if nobody's gonna show up? Maybe if you actually did more than a cursory look through recent postings you'd have seen that. The Dire Wolves, my mercenary company have and would continue to operate outside of CIS space when requested or otherwise see something I feel they could contribute to. So careful with your assumptions.

Secondly Bao Quayan Bao Quayan , this is exactly what I was talking about. Minor factions owning or at least claiming to be chief operators on worlds. On the front end, seems great and a way for people to expand in other places. Here's the issue though. With Hex ownership, you're restricting who can do what, with what Hex. You're saying y'all are okay with someone showing up, planting a flag in something and then constantly having to argue with someone else because two people say they own the same hex, and refuse to come to a conclusion. Especially the part where you can just literally tell anyone else that

Technically, once a hex is claimed, only the owner can unclaim it or give it to someone else. Which is why a suggestion is made that two factions contesting a hex duke it out amongst themselves.

And you're saying that it'll be community vote if people don't figure it out? Which essentially means it'll be a popularity contest. I would argue a better idea is that a Minor factions have a presence, not ownership, on worlds. Because the moment people decide that a world is theirs and they can do what they want and tell other people to bugger off, someone will abuse it. Someone will use it not as intended, and instead will turn the Minor Faction game from what it currently is, into something much worse. Because ownership will become the focus, not story, progress, or anything actually meaningful. And as far as staying removed from who decides who wins the skirmishes, I can only see that leading to trouble as I said in my first post "No one likes losing."

Errant Errant Firstly and foremost I write a mercenary. Says so in the tag. Only reason I've been with the CIS so long is because I've yet to be provided with a compelling reason to leave. I've looked around and tried other places, and the short answer was no. And the only reason I haven't made the group I write as a Minor Faction as when I've brought it up before, nobody seemed interested so why bother if nobody's gonna show up? Maybe if you actually did more than a cursory look through recent postings you'd have seen that. The Dire Wolves, my mercenary company have and would continue to operate outside of CIS space when requested or otherwise see something I feel they could contribute to. So careful with your assumptions.

Secondly Bao Quayan Bao Quayan , this is exactly what I was talking about. Minor factions owning or at least claiming to be chief operators on worlds. On the front end, seems great and a way for people to expand in other places. Here's the issue though. With Hex ownership, you're restricting who can do what, with what Hex. You're saying y'all are okay with someone showing up, planting a flag in something and then constantly having to argue with someone else because two people say they own the same hex, and refuse to come to a conclusion. Especially the part where you can just literally tell anyone else that

And you're saying that it'll be community vote if people don't figure it out? Which essentially means it'll be a popularity contest. I would argue a better idea is that a Minor factions have a presence, not ownership, on worlds. Because the moment people decide that a world is theirs and they can do what they want and tell other people to bugger off, someone will abuse it. Someone will use it not as intended, and instead will turn the Minor Faction game from what it currently is, into something much worse. Because ownership will become the focus, not story, progress, or anything actually meaningful. And as far as staying removed from who decides who wins the skirmishes, I can only see that leading to trouble as I said in my first post "No one likes losing."

Unfortunately, I can only go based on what've you written in recent history on your characters. You'll have to forgive me, chieftain.

Engaging your response to Bao, this is only one idea on how to deal with the territory. We're both split on what we think will work best and intend on introducing both our ideas, as well as take the ideas presented by the minor faction owners we intend on bringing together to discuss this idea. No matter where you go, folks aren't gonna have the best in mind for something they partake in.

If you're interested in being involved with this project beyond being a naysayer, you're welcome to create a minor and hop on the train. I'm sure you can find some folks who'd be down to write mercenary stuff. Plenty of folks do it.

Okay Sergei, if I can't convince you, that's all fine and dandy. I'm sorry if this idea sends up red flags for you and they've become permanent. I'm going to quote two things. One I've already said, and one from discord I said to someone else. Because otherwise you're asking the same questions/putting forth the same arguments as you did before.

"this is exactly what I was talking about, Minor Factions owning or at least claiming to be chief operators"

Bao "There is no game, 3 hexes which are non-canonical is not a game. It's literal purpose to show "the most active organization here is this color" in all sense of the definition. Our map doesn't translate as who owns it. Because the major factions own it. If two mandos go to a Bryn planet thats been genocided, the two mandos would hold the most influence because everyone else is dead lmao"

"community vote if people don't figure it out? Which essentially means it'll be a popularity contest"

Bao "-Result - if someone is not playing fairly, it means they have chosen not to follow the rules that everyone agrees to joining this, rules we will set up for community voting. Not my rules, our rules."

Further: If a fight breaks out, and nobody can come to any conclusion (ie i won, no i won!), the team will investigate and come to a conclusion. Not the community. The community doesn't get to vote people out because that's mob rule. If a member is found in violation of the rules they agreed to, well, the result is obvious.

Further2: The only community based voting is on rules. You're more than welcome to suggest a rule at any time. We'll try to behave like how most suggestions work. If they gain enough traction, we'll let those in the community vote on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom