Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion mm

Kitter Bitters Kitter Bitters

I love the idea.

However I just don't think it is something the staff would want to keep up with. Keeping a handle on one map seems taxing, so why subject them to two? That being said, if this was something ran, recognized, and handled purely by the community? Maybe that would hold a bit more weight. It may not even have to be a physical "map" so much as an explanation of influence and territory on a scale more befitting a Minor Faction. The only thing is i think this map and the major faction map have to be wholly, completely, and totally kept separate. Otherwise Major factions may feel the need to go ant squashing. Not entirely a bad thing, but major factions vs minor factions could never end well XD.

So like i said, maybe a minor faction influence chain or something along that line would be a bit easier and less stress on the admins, while also keeping the whole "game of influence" up that we see on the Major Faction side. I also would love for that to be a more community driven thing so we don't have to worry about things such as recalls, posting requirements, and member numbers.

One of the things which I find the most appealing about minor factions is that they can easily - without loosing out on something other than from the nature of being a minor faction - opt out of the map game. I do not interpret your proposal as something which would force minors onto the map against their will but it does feel like they would loose out on something if they didn't put themselves on the map too. And if they put themselves on the map they would - in accordance with how I interpret your proposal - be exposed to the map game against other minors. This is something I hope to avoid.

With that said, I think your proposal highlights something important. Namely that it would be great if we could put a spotlight in minor factions and make it easier to see which ones are active. I think a map where some overlap is possible could work out well or something similar to what Adron Malvern Adron Malvern suggested. What came to my mind was to have a roster for minor factions similar to the one that highlights Major Factions (or large factions, I guess).

I like this idea too. It can help people find those factions which revolve around the type of character they want to create, central to the star system they choose for their home base.

Something like this can help with building activity and possibly lead to minor factions merging.

Last edited:
I once came across in the archives, it showed a big huge list of planets and who controlled them. It seemed like it was kept up to date by the community. I've also seen the old maps, I think the Shezerade person posted them. I would support an effort for a community run map using the old style to show minor factions, but probably also incorporate Jsc's suggestion, up to three hexes. The Minors aren't supposed to make a massive impact on things.

Edit2: Also I am completely dumb I just realized Jsc's post is in a thread pretty old and it's because I'm bored that I go lurking in Similar Threads. Anyway, the mention was here

Edit: Found it!

Last edited:
I was only referencing the list as an example, as it seemed to be community ran. Yes, I support a map version. There's no way we'd get them to let us use a version of the real map, which is why I suggested the old map, like this http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img905/1049/YodhMS.jpg

But, also, in the "Similar Threads" below this thread and chat box, I found a thread called "Galaxy Map" that shows this PDF of probably the first map Chaos used someone made

But I don’t want to force minor factions to play the map game or take away anything unique from the majors.

I think if anyone wanted to do this, it would be a community effort, which the staff would probably indirectly support. We would all have to be on the same playing field, agree to the same terms, conditions, any requirements. If we don't we wouldn't have to bother with it. It's like with factions.... if you don't like it, find something else.

Maybe the staff would let us use a version of the map if we all agreed to run it independently so they don’t have to.

If not we can go with a list or something.

I’m sure staff will wander in here eventually

That would depend on a few things.... like how easily can it be edited? Would they prefer someone dedicated to hold the source code or allow it to be downloaded by everybody? If it was complicated to learn, who'd be willing to take up the mantle of editing it?

But yeah, this seems like a super fun idea. Minor Factions having their own "community made Invasions" or Dominions, skirmishes playing into the hand of the Minor Faction Map (if they wanted). Having little gang wars or turf wars, etc

Honestly I’m not sure how the map even works from a tech perspective. We will have to see what the staff say.

I think it does seem to be agreed that we at least need a list of which minors are active. We could easily do that as a community together.

I could be wrong but I feel like that's super simple. There shouldn't need to be a list of active factions, since as a community based system, people would have to come over and request a spot. One of the people heading this community based system could just poke at the people if they haven't made any changes or posts in awhile, or a new person could come in and request the hex another is in. There would be a 'contested' moment, whether a minor is requesting a location held by a faction that's had it for a long time, or if two or more request the same hex. They can settle it by a skirmish thread for roleplay fun, or choose other places. It is very easy to llet activity moderate itself in this, because if no one contests a request, then the minor faction doesn't have any active staff in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom